Product Chat / map from an image

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2017 12:42
People ... is there any way or trick to generate a terrain from an image ??? (map of heights or water-land --- Thanks a thousand !!!
The game is a serious thing (El juego es una cosa seria)
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2017 15:20
GG loader is the only way I know of right now.
See this post
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215236?page=3#msg2575324
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2017 16:40
Ty MIke!!!!
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2017 19:48
I thought there was a way to do highmaps in GG?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2017 21:21
You guys have piqued my interest so I started delving into this again. If I come up with a process for those who don't want to invest in AGK, I'll post it here.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2017 21:24
I should mention I think I'm close to a solution.
Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
That would be great bolt! Thanks
Jim C
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2017 11:45
If I remember correctly, you have to open the .fpm and edit a file in there...
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Not what he wants, Mookai, and yet necessary information from you.
it's the m.dat file in the fpm, but there's no standard tool to edit it (other than GG itself), since it consists of 1024x1024 floats + a few metadata bytes.
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2017 16:30
^ this.
I initially thought it was a DDS file due to the 4 byte structure but preben was kind enough to clear a few things up. Currently working on a simple-ish process for importing the heightmaps without me having to write some kind of program for it.

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2017 16:54 Edited at: 19th Oct 2017 07:20
Actually, it consists of a few metadata bytes + 1024x1024 floats (order matters here, of course) , there was also some peculiarity about the order of heightpoints. I think it was upside down in GG compared to the corresponding image when you look at it. It 's easier to write a program that respects that in converting a greyscale heightmap.
I can tell because I did it once.
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2017 21:14
Wanna save me some time and post the program you used?
Johno 15
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2017 22:29
BOTR This is something I've wanted for ages! you're really awesome man.
'Judge a man not by his answers. But by his questions.'
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2017 23:26 Edited at: 18th Oct 2017 23:51
More on this topic:

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212580

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/207976

Not sure if this still works, but this is what was written:

Quote: "Now there IS a way in which you can get your heightmap into GameGuru, but it's a dark art and not for the faint hearted. You would need to rename a typical FPM level file as a ZIP, then extract it to a folder (password is 'mypassword') and then replace the M.DAT file with an identical structured file that contains your heightmap data, which would consist of 32 bit float values arranged as 512x512 proceeding horizontally in sequence. if you require the source code for this, please let me know and with this info you should be able to convert your own heightmap data into something GameGuru can load, and of course you must reverse the process of zipping up the new files and giving it a password of 'mypassword', then renaming the ZIP back to an FPM so you can load it in. Please let me know how you get on."
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2017 05:42
Who wrote that? I'd love to get a copy of some source that's already done so I can just move on to procedural stuff.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2017 05:43
Nevermind. I'll message lee and see if he can release a copy so I can review.
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Wanna save me some time and post the program you use"

It was done in Purebasic.

Would have to look for it since I abandoned the project as Lee immediately declared that he would put a function in GG which will import heightmaps. Must have been 3-4 years ago. ...

Basically, you just create a 2 dimensional 1024x1024 array of floats.
The last exact 4 MByte of the file are the height data, the difference to the exact size of the m.dat are the number of bytes at the start of m.dat, which are not height data.
It is helpful to read in the m.dat file of an empty flat level at least once - or even a fresh randomized level -, so you get feeling what values represent the default flat level and hight differences.
Then you take your greyscale map and convert the height values with a factor to match, and write the m.dat anew (not forgetting the initial bytes of the file - I think they were word or dwords and are always the same), put it in the .fpm and let GG show you how it looks.
The image file better also have 1024x1024 resolution, or you'll have to make adjustments / interpolations.

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2017 10:58
Hi all, here is the C code that reads in the m.dat file..... many thanks again to Lee for providing me with this....

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2017 15:29
This is great! Thanks guys for both responses. Yrkoon - your reply was received loud and clear. It's simple enough. I've already evaluated the code in hex and know what you're talking about with respect to a blank level. Do you know if interpolation is done in the file itself or if it's done to some degree inside of GG? Is he subdividing the values here and using that to smooth the terrain? I apologize if this is a bit more than you might know. Best guesses are fine too

And bored, thanks for posting the code!

I mean basically you have the marker 00004000, then then your single precision floats (32bit, 4 bytes) for the values.
Still, this is all exceptionally useful. The fact is I just have to figure what language I want to do this in. I've spent the better half of this decade working mostly in Linux (I'm chief Linux Systems Engineer - toot toot - @ a fortune 500 co so I'm afforded little time to actually work outside of my usual 'viewpoint').

So the question is do I write something simple for myself in C/perl/python or write up something for windows. If it's something for windows that can be used in a general sense, then I need to look at what can do the job for free or cheap. Then it needs to be something easy and familiar. Still, this saves me time bumbling through minor errors with metadata/etc.
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
@Bolt Action Gaming :
well usually, there are no "holes to infinity" in the terrain IF YOU SUPPLY ALL 1024 x 1024 heightpoints, and GG normally does the filling in quite ok.
I can only advise against supplying less points, this may cause major havoc with GG. (In the day, I thought the 00004000 was a kind of size parameter and messed around with that, too; it probably is, but with nothing in GG that makes use of it. )
There is one strange condition which can sometimes put you in the "valley of the spikes", i.e., any heightpoint is represented as a VERY high, very slim spike in an otherwise flat environment; it also happened to cybernescence, if I remember correctly, and we could never make out why it occasionally occurs .

Nevertheless, a custom routine for multipass interpolation and smoothing may come in handy for "outerworldly" scenarios , I had one then and showed some pics of its results in the forum.

PM
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2017 19:40
uff .. they really made me dizzy with the metadata .... ha ha ha .... but then it's going to be able to do ??? It seems that he was not the only one interested ... several engines offer this tool ....
a hug!
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2017 19:53 Edited at: 19th Oct 2017 19:54
No, GG is unable to do this as it is right now. You need an external program to read in your greyscale data and spit out a m.dat file that has to be
tricked into a - preferably - empty level file, which you then can load into GG and proceed to shape and refine it.

Mazbe you can post your heightmap file so we may be able to show you what it looks like in GG.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2017 19:57
Heightmaps are however on the voting list under "Terrain Importer Maker". So for anyone that really needs something like that you can vote for it there.

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
@BoltActionGaming
Quote: "So the question is do I write something simple for myself in C/perl/python or write up something for windows. If it's something for windows that can be used in a general sense, then I need to look at what can do the job for free or cheap."

Hmmm... the format is pretty unique to GG. Although it can't be wrong to use an easily portable language, but: who's gonna use this on LINUX ?
IF GG had gone Vulcan instead of DX11, then ...
Actually, when I first attended to the matter, that was fueled a bit not so much by greyscale heightmaps as input, but by another, widely used format, an example supplied to me by Pirate Myke, then. If you woul consider to go that direction, a cross platform solution may be a good way to go. I'm still (or rather: again) pondering wether to implement some preview function in OGRE for the converter, in order to reduce the awkward workflow : produce a greyscale - convert it to m.dat format - fumble the m.dat into an fpm - load the fpm into GG - see that it is not quite what one thought it should be -> return to beginning.
Core i7 4710 QM GTX 980 MQ 16GB RAM Win7
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2017 11:31
working on code to do this and automate process.... will see how it goes....
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
POC already running here (no gui, little error checking, sparse parameter options)
Checking how to take the awkwardness outof fpm reassembly.
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2017 15:41
I say linux because I'd just use cygwin to get it functional on windows.
Sorry, I kind of live in cygwin for my day job and I realize that I tend to speak in a fashion that assumes you know exactly what I'm referring to.

But yeah. I mean basically I could use cygwin and GCC/perl/whatever since it's my world normally or I could find some kind of free visual-basic style thing. I don't know what to use to program windows-specific apps these days, LOL. I actually am leaning heavily towards javascript and just making a webpage that reads a graphic and then spits out the m.dat file.

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Nothing there to apologize for using Cygwin I mainly use PB for it's richness of functions AND its fine debugger

A web service ?
"pay per conversion" ?
Hmm that makes me think....
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2017 13:30
I've written code so far to convert color heightmap to a greyscale heightmap and got a process semi-automated (as I haven't finished code quite yet) to rename the .fpm to .zip extract to a temp folder (which also automates the "mypassword" bit. Just working out the height factors etc. Writing back the m.dat file is no problem once I figure out the height calculation. Lots of testing and retesting at the moment, but am enjoying this new challenge.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 09:04
so I download a greyscale map (the program also can take a color map and convert to greyscale) of the British Isles and grabbed the height info and saved the m.dat file back out and then imported back into my blank test GG map and it comes out as shown in the pic. Its underwater, because I need to add 600 to the heights (totally forgot). Still this is pretty fun.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 09:40 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2017 16:21
getting there after adjusting Y scale and height data...

[updated... UK map around the right way (pic 2).... GG is strange ha...]

Attachments

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 10:14
WOW BOTR this is brilliant well done sir I tip my hat to you
Welcome to the real world!
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 16:28
Well, nevermind then lol. Looks like you're 90% of the way to beating me to the punch.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 16:53
Careful importing height maps especially those from real world can become seriously addictive

Cheers.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2017 07:37
@Cybernescence: You are so right, I am totally addicted to this at the moment, I have imported quite a few heightmap images such as faces, nasa images of mercury, mars, hawaii etc. The British Isles map is still my favourite at the moment.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2017 10:38
Lot of real talented people hanging around here,great work guys.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2017 14:41
Great stuff guys
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2017 15:04
I knew that GG brought together people of great talent and really the question that I asked at the beginning has not only confirmed it ... but is completely convinced. Bored ... it really is amazing your achievement. Granada ... Totally agree with you !!!
A tool such as BOTR, which allows a map like the British Isles that has obtained, would be an excellent tool to accompany GG. BOTR, I'll take off my hat before you ... excellent!

Sabía que GG reunia a personas de gran talento y realmente aquella pregunta que hice al comienzo ha logrado que no sólo lo confirme... sino que esté completamente convencido. Bored... realmente es increíble su logro. Granada... Totalmente de acuerdo contigo!!!
Una herramienta como la que está realizando BOTR, que permita un mapa como el de la Islas britanicas que ha obtenido, sería una herramienta excelente para acompañar a GG. BOTR, me saco el sombrero ante UD... excelente!
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
@Bolt Action Gaming
Quote: "Well, nevermind then lol. Looks like you're 90% of the way to beating me to the punch"

Notwithstanding LOTR having done well, think a little bit more before laying off. Once you have a heightmap in GG format im your computer's memory, there's more than just putting it out directly as m.dat
PM
rudyardcatling
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 00:44
well ... and hello

https://steamcommunity.com/app/266310/discussions/0/3182216552779051546/

i recently got this on a deal and i hope that it can get me through a broke winter without too much brainrot ... i've been around since simons basic more or less and lda($D000),0 , but as for gameguru i still have to try my first hello world game so to speak ...

my first idea was greyscale bitmaps yea, 256 levels of height 00-FF should be more than enough and if the file format is known not too hard to inject into a mapfile but i dont even know if theres separate map files or not .. but my idea first is to re-create the place where i live , well a part of it, i found a nice tool here

https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

which tells me the area i want is about 1km² .... i also found a nice site here :

http://nl-be.topographic-map.com/

they clearly seem to have the datasets i'm looking for .. now i suppose there's no copyright on design-by-mother-nature but that doesn't mean they will be willing to part with the set ... if i can get that as some flatfile it has to be injectable, right ?
problem is also nowhere on the site it lists a contact address ... so i'll try a catch-all, if that doesnt work i'll try locating the owner with some divining and witchcraft ... if i can get their goodies and that goes into your tools here, realistic feeling maps up the wazoo

but i have no clue if they will answer, if anyone knows any other place that has similar datasets and might be willing to part with them for the greater good, drop a note on the steam thread or here pretty pl0x with sugarrontopz AND
i probably should take that to another thread but since its in the same "im too lazy to do it by hand and dam that computer was built for computing" category ... a huge texture, say

i take a screenshot from google maps on the area i want, then cut out the exact square, is there any way to stick this to the map ... as colours / texture i mean , the point would be for instance all the roads would be totally in place and the little houses on the flat texture would be placeholders, right ?

because i'm lazy
maybe someone already has something like this or maybe its a omg-noob-rtfm-and-click-alt-f4-to-continue-question if the program itself has the option but like i said, i just got it, go easy on an old man here

looking forward to some fiddling anyway

thanks in advance for any answer or pointer and everything already answered here !!!
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 14:03
Welcome! Well, I'm sure we'll be glad to have another coder around here in any respect.

I think you might be looking for something like http://terrain.party - it has real-world heightmaps.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 21:34
a little glimpse of the heightmap import tool. options/configuration etc to add shortly.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2017 23:04
Realy cool mike ,nice work again .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 01:23
This is so flippin' cool! I am really looking forward to this. Does anyone know what the actual real-life size of the default map is? I know it's been asked and answered a long time ago, I just don't reacall. The reason I ask is that I just watched you shove an entire country+ into an area that can't be much larger than several city blocks!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 02:17
Unless BOTR is also named Mike, then I suspect you're attributing credit where it isn't due

I'm looking forward to trying this tool out. It would let me cut right to the meat of what I want to monkey with (procedural generation).
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 03:48
Nicely done.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 07:30 Edited at: 26th Oct 2017 07:30
thanks guys. this is a lot of fun and I'm hooked.
I will be giving version 1.0 away free and once it's a bit more stable will attach a link. I still have some more code to add such as config setup stuff (GUI/Drag 'n Drop?) and also add in some error trapping on potential vulnerable code as well as maybe having an installer put in place.

have a good day
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 08:32
Fantastic work well done Mike my little map generator might work with this
Welcome to the real world!
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 10:04
thanks GraPhix: weird, looking at your variation map generator this morning.......
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 11:00 Edited at: 26th Oct 2017 11:07
ah my favourite game in GameGuru....

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:09:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:09:34