Work In Progress / The letter (working title)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2017 17:31 Edited at: 15th Oct 2017 17:49
"The letter"

Developer: Nemrod

Description: "The letter" is a First Person Exploration game (aka walking simulator) where you have to solve puzzles to progress in the story.

Storyline: You play as a teen age boy who lives in a small town where nothing really happens, the days comes and goes leaving you the feel of indifference, until one letter arrives that will make you have an afternoon adventure that could make you see the things in a different way.

I'm currently working to make the game more personal, original music, custom sounds and textures, I'm hoping to get it done early next year.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2017 09:04
Looks very cool so far! Keep it up
You know you watched too many of Lee's Live Brodcasts when you're at work and have an earwig from his twitch intro music....

By the way, I am a Modder, Soundtrack Composer and now Game Developer. Well, sort of.

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti
Find some my work onYoutube:
(Music Channel) The German Music Dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeutscherVolker
(Games and Mods Channel ) DK Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqwvScXnJL_zNYqSsfTCqA

Nemord
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks!
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2017 08:41
you've got the hang of lighting more than most new people ive seen around here. I like the decorations as well, although everything kinda seems a little "blank"

I think you could put more colours in by tinting the surface and ambience a bit and create a more visually satisfying appearance.

another suggestion would be to change the lights to something more colourful, but really anything but white.
Nemord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2017 18:41 Edited at: 20th Oct 2017 18:46
Actually I've had a little problem with the lighting when taking this test screenshots, I'm gonna use some of your advises, thanks. And yeah, my vision is to make the environments full of details as in the last picture.
PM
PixelPointer
Years of Service
User Offline
Came across this post while researching game engines for an idea I had.

You game looks really nice, did you do all the modelling? How do you go about planning out something a project like this?
PM
Nemord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 15:46 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2017 15:52
First of all thanks, and no, all the assets came with the engine, some of them are DLC I've made just a couple with the EBE (Easy Building Editor) that comes in the engine as well. And about planning a game, even a little project like this is a lot of effort, I suggest you watch this video.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z06QR-tz1_o[/video]
PM
Nemord
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a little update on the textures I'm working on, I've had a little trouble making seamless textures, but I think now I can work on the structures.

PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2017 21:02
Level design looks fairly good so far. I wouldn't mind seeing some grunge or debris to help break up the sterility of the environment.
Nemord
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for passing by, actually I'm planing to do that , the levels are in a basic state right now all the details will come at the end.
PM
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
My sort of game (no guns) all looking great!
PM
Nemord
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! I thought the same with your game, just saw your new videos they look amazing.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 05:07 Edited at: 28th Nov 2017 04:08
This is a great example of how one can use the many assets already provided within the engine and free DLC.

As Bugsy suggested i would add a bit of color to that white light. You can change its color by going into its properties and where it says #ffffff could change it to something like #b0ffff so its warmer. Or just click "other" and select from the color pallet. Most indoor lighting are either slightly blue/cyan or slightly yellow. Rarely ever pure white.

Other than its looking good; the outdoor scenes are nice. Love that you are going the route of no weapons to be honest. If you ever need help with scripting you can always ask questions in the scripting section of the forums we'll be sure to help. I'm assuming you'll have a lot of objects you want the player to interact with?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks again Nemord, have put another video up with gameplay of level one in daylight.

My three levels were at one time all one level, but at the end of last year after finding
out I was using 3.5GB of video memory I put it on the back burner.

Now I've spit it into 3 levels and removed loads of assets to get it to work on nvidia 2GB video cards.
Level one looks small but it still takes up 1.7GB.

So keep an eye on how much Video memory you're using, saves a lot of errors and time in the long run.
PM
Nemord
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Teabone! I follow the advice you and Bugsy gave me, I know I can do better but with only changing the light I can see the difference.

For the scope of this project I think I will keep it simple, I would like to interact with objects as in "Gone Home" instead I'll approach the "environment storytelling" sort of thing, beside the puzzles. And now you mention it, may be you can tell me if there is a way to interact with objects when the cursor in on the object instead of based on proximity.
PM
Nemord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 22:24 Edited at: 31st Oct 2017 22:26
Hi 25-WATTS, I watch it and it changed all the mood, no longer feels kind of creepy.
Unfortunately the engine have limitations, I knew this beforehand and I did the same, made little levels for avoid this issue.
Still looking great keep it up!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 11:07:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 11:07:26