Product Chat / Lenovo Y70 Touch 16GB GTX 960M, 4GB memory + SSD. The computer heats up very quickly If GG software is running.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
The computer heats up very quickly If GG software is running even if I do not do anything. Just runs the software and leaves it on for a few minutes. And the computer warms up at a level that is hard to touch it.
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 09:17 Edited at: 15th Sep 2017 10:04
its the same problem with every laptop machine GG kill the laptop literally, it happened to me too with a high end laptop, it was so hot, he rebooted, now i have a the last processor from intel i7 but its a desktop machine with 8gb dddr 3666, and event with the latest computers gg its still dangerous to use, because the machine becomme so hot, i dont use gg anymore until someone proove gg has become stable, without killing the processor and the graphic card!!!
My BEST advice, stop using GG ,use others game engines, gg is actually so unstable.... dont waste your time with it, try others games engines, honestly...!
Sorry for Lee i know he is working hard on pbr and directx11, but honestly this is not going to solve the "heat" problem GG cause to almost very laptop and desktop machine!
Lee need to seriously look at that HUGE problem, test with various machines and correct that huge problem.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 12:33 Edited at: 15th Sep 2017 12:46
The heat is a result of your CPU and GPU running tasks at their highest possible speed. When this happens over a prolonged period, the heat can build quite a lot. All laptops have cooling solutions to handle this, and the OS and BIOS will have settings to throttle down the chips at temperature. You would see the same if you ran any software that taxed the CPU and GPU in this way. Do some googling on GPUs and temperature settings, and you should find a setting to dial down how much the hardware gets throttled.

@imothep85: Can you send me a link to the laptop that was killed, I might be able to pick one up and do some tests against it, thanks. I noticed you asked a question about 6 days ago about camera control for an intro sequence in GameGuru, so can I assume you stopped using GameGuru since then? I would like to address support for laptops and low-end graphics cards, and it is on the voting board, but the overhaul has my full attention right now, but once it's released and the voting board reset, you are most welcome to vote up that feature. I also advocate trying other game making solutions, it's always good to have a broad understanding of the technology available. As they say, the right tool for the right job
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 12:56
Asus Q552UB-BHI7T12 2-IN-1 15.6 (INTEL CORE I7, NVIDIA 940M GPU, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD)
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 13:01 Edited at: 15th Sep 2017 13:10
no i was asking for camera control, but im prototyping mockups in adobe photoshop, then i do all my stuffs in 3ds max and export in x format, my last test was importing 3d models with transparencies, it fails... but also on my new desktop GG heat the grahic card, its a bequiet tower, processor i7 7700k, Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB, hard disk 1tb, win 7 64bits pro, nvidia 2gb ram gddr3 and when i run GG i can ear the fans working at max speed, it nevers happens with others softwares... i also have a coolig ystem bug GG ....litterally fuc... the machine, i worked during 2 hours then what happened, a huge impressive FREEZE, that means for me, im not going to use GG anymore, i dont want to lose my new computer because of a software who is the cause of massive heat, and like i said with unreal or others games engines it never happens, i know other people, bigger teams.... but why the GUY behind s2engine hd ALONE has created a 3d game engine who doesnt freeze my computer...

And also...when i compile the EXE EVEN the "EXE" HEAT to MAX my computer....so test/demos games are impossible to play its risky has hell !!

i come every day on the forums just to read what is changing, the updates you are working on.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 13:21 Edited at: 15th Sep 2017 16:04
I can understand high temps on laptops, that's pretty much the norm for laptops, my work laptop gets hot just running word.

Imothep85, i don't want to be harsh, but you are talking nonsense. I've been running GG for ages, sometimes i have it running for days on end, and i have NEVER on any of my 6 machines that i've used since getting GameGuru had ANY overheating issues, one of those machines was almost identical specs to yours.

Software doesn't cause overheating, period. Bad hardware, excessive dust and dirt, or lack of cooling causes overheating.

A piece of software cannot physically run a processor or graphics card any harder or faster than it's max capacity, at its max capacity graphics cards and processors should operate within their temperature tolerances, and automatically throttle themselves down, and your cooling system should kick in if the temperature gets even close to maximum. If you are achieving under full load temperatures in excess of the maximum it can handle, then it's either faulty, or you don't have enough cooling, either because of dust or just not enough fans etc.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 13:29
Quote: "..litterally fuc... the machine, i worked during 2 hours then what happened, a huge impressive FREEZE, that means for me, im not going to use GG anymore, i dont want to lose my new computer because of a software who is the cause of massive heat, and like i said with "

It's not the software,someware your comp is set up wrong.mine is a home built comp and I can run GG all day long with no probs.Yes the fans run faster but my machine stays at the right temp.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 13:38
Yes , I'm afraid software doesn't simply blow up hardware
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 14:35
Unless you're running stuxnet!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2017 18:51 Edited at: 15th Sep 2017 18:52
In fact, any software that can max out the hardware is typically a good thing and shows that they are getting full value from the hardware you are running. As an example, some of my planned future optimizations will take a 4-core setup and run all cores at full tilt during editing and in-game. Conversely, imagine I only sent half the tasks your GPU could handle, I would be encouraged to ensure that the GPU is fully loaded to get the best performance. That said, I do take the point that Unreal (which can be a pretty intense engine to run) somehow kept your GPU clocks low and as soon as you send me the laptop link you referred to that was 'killed' by GameGuru, I can see if I can get a hold of one and do some tests.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 00:26
GG hardly ever makes my laptop fan run. With UE4, it's pretty constant. I keep my coffee warm by keeping my cup by the vent. I realize that's promoting a feature of UE4 but it just had to be said, lol.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 04:53
Ooohh a product with free coffee warmer - now that is a cool feature!

@Lee could you add a command to GG that will send a message to my coffee machine to make coffee for me - that will be a 1up feature on UE4!!

Sorry I know - off topic - just couldn't help myself

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 11:17 Edited at: 17th Sep 2017 18:58
GG doesn't make my system run any harder than anything else, I don't think it ever runs at full speed unless I'm running a full map but that's expected and as said, doesn't cause overheating unless your PC system is set up wrong or the overall air temperature is too high in the room... If your computer can't deal with its own power then that is not good design, you should check the fans are facing the correct way and/or look into better cooling - regardless if this is only caused by GG or not, your system should still be able to cool itself correctly (unless, as stated, you are in a very hot environment to begin with, then it is just a matter of time).
Of course laptops are a different breed entirely and just have bad cooling in general, not much you can do about that due to their size and layout but you could invest in a cooling stand and of course ensure you're not covering any of the fans, it helps a bit.

As for a quick fix, make sure vsync is set to 1 in setup.ini and the PC no longer works flat out all the time unless it can no longer maintain the 60fps (as without it GG will be trying to reach the best possible fps which really isn't needed).
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 17:45
Perhaps the problem is just "ASUS". I had two Laptops from them, many years ago. Both overheated with nothing special running and they don't hat an automatic throttle function.

I use my Alienware AW17R3 (Laptop) for some years with GG now. No heat problem.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 17:49
Quote: "Perhaps the problem is just "ASUS". I had two Laptops from them, many years ago. Both overheated with nothing special running and they don't hat an automatic throttle function."

All of my motherboards and graphics cards for the last 12 years have been ASUS, never had an issue with them yet (crosses fingers)

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 18:18
I personally wouldn't use my laptop with any 3D game development software. Much prefer my safer PC tower of which provides the adequate cooling.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
They don't make them like they used to
Nowadays its huge HDD space ...Bags of Ram and latest OS ....
But the expensive bit is the GPU and that seems to be where they skimp and save money
So unless you buy a £1000 dedicated Gaming laptop if you do get something good your lucky ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 21:24
It realy is simpler to build your own comp,and a lot cheaper.I if you follow the basic rules it's easy to do and you get what you want.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 03:09 Edited at: 17th Sep 2017 03:23
Yeah, been building my own PC's for 26+ years now. My advice is stay away from brand names - you get a much better, higher spec, PC for a lot less outlay when you build your own.

I always use Gigabyte stuff, end never had any issues.

The only thing I have ever needed to claim warranty on was the first P4 chip I bought - it was just dead from day one - and they replaced that over the counter for me. None of that return to manufacturer crap you get with the brand name products.

I've just never liked the format\functionality thing with laptops, I really like multiple monitors, and also I have never needed a portable device for anything I use a PC for. (It is good to get away from the computer sometimes ) And lets face it, they are just way over-priced.

Back on topic:
I remember years ago I used to get parts from a guy who had a PC build and Repair business. Whenever people bought in a computer that was not working correctly for whatever reason, the very first thing he would do is take the sides off, take it out the back, and blow all the dust out with an air compressor. He said that 50% of the time that would fix most of the problems because dust was preventing the components from operating correctly (heat related).

As already said software cannot harm you hardware, something is wrong with the setup if your machine is overheating - if it was mine I would take it back and ask for my money back.

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Whenever people bought in a computer that was not working correctly for whatever reason, the very first thing he would do is take the sides off, take it out the back, and blow all the dust out with an air compressor"

Lol I'd think you were talking about me, but probably not, as I don't live in Australia. I once had one PC in that literally had a half inch of soil in the bottom!
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 13:41
Yep that's the first thing I do as well, had a 7 year old PC to fix recently and the CPU heatsink was jammed solid with crud right up to the edge of the fins. Had to use a fine chisel to remove it.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 16:37 Edited at: 17th Sep 2017 16:40
I have the same problem and I have received the exact same reply.
If my PC can't deal with it own power and with the heat it generate at full power then it is a problem in my PC, I got that and that is a very good point. I agree.

But let put the question in to a different context.
Why is GG running the PC at max when S2Engine does not?
God sake just compare the two out of the box. Open both, open a level included with both, press run and compare.
S2Engine is beautiful, GG is..... oookayish.
S2Engine runs smooth, GG is killing my PC.
Even if it a problem in my PC why is it running my PC at max power and why is it a good thing?
I got that it a good thing if you can fully utilize the power of something but don't tell me it is a good thing to push it at full power even if it not necessary, because it is not and the evidence is the other 3D engines and games out there I am running daily.

Honestly I don't get it.
GG is targeting none technical people who know next to nothing about computing and claim to be the easiest and the most affordable 3D game maker but still expecting me to understand hardware, software, game engine optimization and own a PC cost 1000 to run a software cost 15.
It doesn't make sense.

The core engine of GameGuru must be badly designed whatever you guys telling me.
I know nothing about programming a graphical engine I can't even make my own shaders but I do know that I have performance and heat problem ONLY with GameGuru.

Honestly TGC should drop the codebase of GG and make it to be nothing but a 3D visual editor for AGK and put all their resources in to the development of AGK. This way need to maintain only a single code base which is AGK while still able to offer easy game making solution through the "visual editor" for people like me who lives on the dark side of the moon but still can't see the light in the dark.

I was saying at the beginning FPSC:R should have been based on AGK instead of DBP but it was 2D only at the time so happened what happened but it got pretty good 3D support now and my opinion still stands even if it worth nothing in the technical world.

Honestly I just can't imagine GG going take TGC too far. It is on 50-75% sale all the time (90% almost free if you buy it in bundle) don't tell me it is because GG is on the right track and everything is fine the way it is.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2017 17:59 Edited at: 17th Sep 2017 18:00
I cant really comment ...
I own it but It never seems to run long enough to get hot before it crashes for me.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
as said, GG tries to run the engine at max all the time, it's pretty normal for engines like these to have a high fps setting so that you can see when performance first starts to drop in real time while working on your game, a quick fix is if you open your GG folder (found under "steam\steamapps\common\game guru") and edit setup.ini (can open it with notepad or any text editor) and change the first setting from "vsync = 0" to "vsync = 1", save the file and now open game guru.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 12:29
@Zigi : Can you post your CPU and GPU make and model. I think I own S2Engine and can do some side by side tests with the new DX11 engine. Thanks.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I used to have this issue, nothing my PC couldn't handle, but it did sound like a washing machine powering up at times. I have not experienced it at all of late, I have it running for hours with no problems. I thought the issue was solved now. Planet Coaster on the other hand gets my PC really toasty in no time and that's by a well experienced team of game makers.

The vsync setting in the setup file should reduce this considerably if you care to try it.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
vrg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 19:53 Edited at: 18th Sep 2017 19:57
I have a Lenovo notbook also which is running very hot. When I am using GG, MyWorld or any other game it is getting hot.
I am using a notebook cooler which solve the problem a little.

Lenovo Notebook: AMD A10-5750M APU Radeon HD Graphics 8650G+R5 M23, 6GB Ram , Windows10 Home 64
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 20:18
My i3 is a Lenovo, that runs hot all the time, even when running office, I think Lenovo are just hot machines, i'd recommend getting a cooling pad like vrg says.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:24:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:24:35