Quote: "it has infra red camera views just like my game, only a million times better ... damnit how can I compete"
Once upon a time when I was writing away at my little novel ( I have ambitions to be a mediocre SF writer one day.
) I was very proud of the characters and the structure I laid out. During that time I also got my Netflix account and figured...hey, lets watch this show "firefly"
everyone is so fond off and...
oh no! Oh dear, this plays out almost exactly like my little writing project....
I edit a few things to fend off accusations but I still finish the novel one day.
I have seen infrared cameras in many games, several of them indie horror games. I am quite astonished that you thought it hasn't been done before at all.
The point being that a lot has been done in some way or another (by far not everything but most things you can whip up with Game Guru
) but no one can out-Belidos Belidos. Meaning that you'll probably have a ton of fresh ideas floating around in your head that'll entertain your player base.
In fact, some guy named Fenwolf (not related
) was apparently working on something strikingly similar to your entire project.
I don't think he ever released something playable but he did release a free Ghost Hunt pack
I'm glad to see that you keep this up and speaking as someone that has released several horror titles before (some things are likely obvious to you but maybe not all) here are some notes from my experience:
* Paranormal Themed games like this live off subtle scares rather than jumpscares.
* However one or 2 well placed jumpscares will keep the player on his toes.
* Do not be afraid to touch on taboo subjects (use your own discretion)
* Sound is often key
* Adding some personal edge, or oddity from your own life experience to it will weird the player out far more than trying to be cheap (be extreme, gross them out... so forth.) Lake Mungo
or Lovely Molly
are far creepier than The Green Inferno
which is just plain dumb.
* It is better to design a place that also functions as a level than a level that mimics the look of a place.
So yeah! Do your thing, its pretty good so far