Product Chat / Game Guru Question: Redundant Sound Files in (gamecore -> guns -> Modern)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2017 19:06
Hello,

Can any one clear this question up for me in GG:

Why are there multiple sound files that sound exactly alike in the modern weapons folder, but not in the cartoon, fantasy, medieval folders?

EXAMPLE: (Location: GameGuru->Files->gamecore->guns->modern)

colt1911 = "Fire1.wav", Fire2.wav, Fire3.wav, Fire4.wav
magnum357 = "Fire1.wav", Fire2.wav, Fire3.wav, Fire4.wav
RPG="Fire1.wav", Fire2.wav, Fire3.wav, Fire4.wav
Shotgun="fire1.WAV", Fire2.wav, Fire3.wav, Fire4.wav
SniperM700="Fire1.wav", Fire2.wav, Fire3.wav, Fire4.wav

Exception here seems to be the: Uzi

These duplicate sound effects then get transferred into the stand alone.

Thanks

PC SPECS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i7-2700K (PASSMARK:10401.1), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 GPU (PASSMARK:5079.4) , 16GB RAM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2017 17:37 Edited at: 26th Aug 2017 17:39
They are suppose to randomly play so the sound isn't always the exact same when you fire. Can't recall if this works but best way to test is by replacing one of those sounds with something quite different sounding then a gun. To see if it ever loads.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2017 21:38
Tried this today:

Believe it or not, sound effects are NOT randomly switched around as Tebone thinks at all for "variety". I just changed the colt sounds 1 - 4 and added "vocal numbers" to the end of actual sound files and the only thing that happens after repeated firing is sound file #4 comes up as actually used. I have compressed the sounds and you can try yourself.

JUST:

Create a folder called original sounds in the "modern", "colt1911" directory and then replace them with mine. Tell me if you get different results.

Thanks
PC SPECS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i7-2700K (PASSMARK:10401.1), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570 GPU (PASSMARK:5079.4) , 16GB RAM

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 4th Sep 2017 05:22
As he said they are supposed to randomly play.

But they haven't done that since the global sound update as far as a remember.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2017 16:10
Well, I started the thread because the sound files all sound so similar in modern weapons and this was odd. Teabon's assessment seemed logical, but really not necessary (again because the sound files are so similar). All the sound files are 44100 HZ Mono 16bit CD quality and individual sound great.

For these modern weapons (colt1911, magnum, rpg, shotgun, sniperM700 the sound files get compiled into the "Stand Alone" essentially wasting space within your build.

I guess this is something to note when you make your stand alone and want it "cleaned" up as in as small as possible.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well spotted. There are indeed several areas where standalone's waste space. I imagine this particular case is because of updates changing how things work and not being updated afterwards. I'm sure it will be updated to work or removed as unnecessary. As long as Lee adds it to his list of issues.

Another area where standalone's are wasteful is loading screens. Having every possible loading screen for any resolution is a little OTT for me. Having a high res image that can be re-sized to the lower ones would be preferable. I mean let's face it, if we have to sit and convert our screens to several resolutions, we will be doing it as fast as possible by reducing the highest quality image down. It would make more sense to have one directory for these images at top res and GG reducing them down to size in real time. The reduced exe size would be slightly improved and more importantly, making the standalone would be far more friendly. No-one wants to make several versions of the same images just to get a standalone working at any res. An easy game maker should handle that itself
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2017 10:37
I shall make it so the standalone will load 'any' available splash image for the loading sequence, this way you can have a variety, or just a high-res one and the engine will do the rest. Am I right in reading that even though the weapon folder contains four alternative fire sounds, only one is ever being selected?
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2017 11:27
Yes Lee, only one is being used for some reason, it's been that way for quite a while, not sure why, at first i thought it was since the global sound system was added, but it might not have been that long ago, maybe when the AI was updated?

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2017 17:58 Edited at: 5th Sep 2017 18:02
Hello,

By the way: More files that have no earthly use in any "stand alone" I know of are in: audiobank/music: The entire sound folder for "theescape"

(Everyone please take the survey for GG. Please consider putting in as #1 A better way to handle edit Title, About, Menu anything that has to do with creating custom PNG/JPG screens that need to be individually created and resized for various game resolutions currently.)

Sometimes I feel no one is listening to issues @ the game creators that need to be addressed with clean up in "stand alone" or practical core functionality to get a game done from A-Z. I am glad to see this does not seem to be the case here today given efforts to pinpoint a GG anomaly addressing multiple sound files in a "stand alone build" which do not seem to be needed/not working or are practical. (Score one for Canadians here thanks Tbone: Theory to practice helped spot this one.)

Since purchasing GG on October 7th 2016 (not one year yet) I have completed one small game with GG which had two levels. I consider this a practical attempt to use GG to create a game from start to finish - screens and all.

During this short but, fruitful time using GG I struggled with:

1) The GG "stand alone" crashing due to issues of missing sound files in the "stand alone",

2) Changes/reimplementation to perfectly sound code that allowed simple playing of titlesbank/default called "title.ogg"

3) Sound files in the final build that did not belong there ("And why is it, that after a Standalone is created under Audiobank ----> Music ---->"the escape" folder holds audio files you will not use?") - Posted: 25th Nov 2016 20:28

3) The night mare of creating an installer that needed to include "silent installs" of DX9c and Vcredist resources to play the "stand alone" on newer OS's. No one could help me with this on the forum, quite bizarre to me. (Of course, this will be history when the GG DX11 build is finally out - Yhy.... !)

A big ALSO: 100% (Well Spotted - DVader)

As DVader has chimed in here concerning how "loading screens are" also wastefully implemented and treacherous to the end user working in GG which I gather from Lee's comment here he seems to agree and be willing to address the issue with a resizing fix from a single high to lower resolution solution in GG. This, in what is now a "custom" 72 screen change of PNG/JPG (Please pick one) screen elements before a game even starts. (Yes, more cut down in waste in a build.)

I direct whoever is interested to this post by me for additional detail consideration (17th Nov 2016 21:28) : MAIN MENU - STAND ALONE GAMES - MUSIC - (AGAIN)

Please support this thread in clearing / streamlining future versions of GG and cleaning these and any other things up.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2017 18:03
To be fair, standalone is quite low in priority at the moment, there's no point creating a standalone if core features aren't working, or even implemented, i'm happy for Lee to do some quick tweaks like stopping it exporting excessive files, but to be honest it standalone can wait until we have a solid basis to create standalones with in my opinion.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2017 00:39 Edited at: 6th Sep 2017 00:43
Quote: "The night mare of creating an installer that needed to include "silent installs" of DX9c and Vcredist resources to play the "stand alone" on newer OS's. No one could help me with this on the forum,"

Must have missed that one then ..... " Install Creator Pro" allows you to create a custom installer for your game with the addition of DX9 Install or any other addon for that matter... As for the rest .... What Belidos said really
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2017 08:19 Edited at: 6th Sep 2017 08:19
Quote: "Am I right in reading that even though the weapon folder contains four alternative fire sounds, only one is ever being selected?"

Haven't tested myself, but seems like this has been verified by at least two people here. If this is the case it would be a bug. Some good news, the character sound calls (idle, Alert, Aggro, etc) do work and randomly played when call. That i can confirm works. Been having a lot of fun with this.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2017 11:27
I have made a fix for the next beta build to restore the loading of all gun sound variants. Typically this would be fire1.wav through fire4.wav to create some subtle natural variation in shots, but you can extend this practice to any of the gun sounds specified in the gunspec file such as reloading, put-away, zoom, e.t.c and of course any custom sounds you are triggering. Short of adding a 'weapon maker' to the software (on the voting board just in case), I think a good first step would be a PDF manual covering how to create a weapon for GameGuru from scratch, including how to load and control sounds. There are some good weapon smiths out there in the GameGuru community, and it might be an idea to approach one of them to see if a guide is worth commissioning.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2017 11:33
Quote: " I think a good first step would be a PDF manual covering how to create a weapon for GameGuru from scratch, including how to load and control sounds. There are some good weapon smiths out there in the GameGuru community, and it might be an idea to approach o"

Sounds like a idea to me,would be very interesting read for me .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2017 15:06
Thank you to Lee for your diligence and addressing this issue in the new build. More over for recognizing a bug is a bug core work or not and acting on it.

synchromesh:

Quote: "Must have missed that one then ..... " Install Creator Pro" allows you to create a custom installer for your game with the addition of DX9 Install or any other addon for that matter... As for the rest .... What Belidos said really"

You are GREATLY over simplifying the cost/complexity of creating a working "stand alone" GG Game installer given my experience and the current DX9C build. The reality is, not only does the installer cost 100's of dollars, (free ones are useless) but the "custom" scripting code to "check" a system currently has DirectX9c or not and additionally adding the .net C++ redistributes as 'silent installs' to run a game is probably (unfortunately) way beyond the ability of many here.

So much for distributing your "stand alone - Easy game creation" so it will run on multiple OS's without a glich. Many never go as far as creating an installer feeling dejected when friends or colleagues tell them their game does not work. Then having to go back and give them DX9c and redistributes of C++. These support files are "silently installed" installed by Steam seamlessly with the GG engine so until you have gone through trying to give it to some one you don't realy know the pain involved.

I encourage everyone reading this thread to take the SURVEY and voice your own opinions to thegamecreators concerning various software. Be they better Menu editing tools, Searchable entity's, weapon maker....whatever. You currently have a voice in addition/beyond the Voting Board. Make the direction of software and the company better.

Thanks
SaintPhillip
Years of Service
User Offline
I hear you game_Making and think you make valid points- But why even stress over that since DX11 is coming soon? Wouldnt that be a waste of dev time worrying about something that wont matter soon-ish?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2017 15:36 Edited at: 6th Sep 2017 15:38
Exactly, DirectX9c is going away and won't be supported by GameGuru soon anyway.

Also the standalone already supplies the redistributables needed by default in one of its folders, they just need to be installed manually.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2017 16:24 Edited at: 7th Sep 2017 17:43
Quote: "You are GREATLY over simplifying the cost/complexity of creating a working "stand alone" GG Game installer given my experience and the current DX9C build. The reality is, not only does the installer cost 100's of dollars, "

Not over simplifying at all ... In fact it really is all very simple
so you buy an easy to use useful install creator program for £49.
In life not everything is handed free on a plate .... If your serious about game creation with any software then £49 for a tool that does all you need is a pitiful price to pay. Especially as it will work for any Game, App creation software I own anyway..

Not so long ago when you bought a game we just had a readme ..." Please ensure you have the latest DirectX9 installed " or it was written on the games box ...That was it .. But as stated it wont be a problem for long ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 05:56:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 05:56:05