Product Chat / MAIN MENU - STAND ALONE GAMES - MUSIC - (AGAIN)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2016 21:28
Hello,

This has changed too many times. I get versions change and all.... In an old version of GG (1.01.0033) all you did was put a file in titlesbank/default called "title.ogg" and you had music in your stand alone game.

This was simple....Now Mr. Bamber has LUA scripts in the titlesbank/default. But, no explanation for simple sound in a GG standalone menu?

----------------------------
about.lua
gamemenu,lua
grahics.lua
loadgame.lua
loading.lua
lose.lua
nextlevel.lua
savegame.lua
sounds.lua
title.lua
win.lua
--------------------------

Could he or someone here please explain how to get simple looping music in the Game Menu given all the scripts now in V1.32?

Realy, why is there no help file for this? Did he do a video on this?
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2016 07:08 Edited at: 18th Nov 2016 07:16
here is the link (it's also under video tutorials from GameGuru Video Tutorials Menu):
There are videos on music and sounds.

https://www.game-guru.com/live-streams

Also see link here: https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/216625

All I did was click on "Search" and typed "music".
Always good to do a search first.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 18th Nov 2016 07:49
In the GameGuru/files/titlesbank/default, your find title.lua

add this right below function title_init()

Above function title_init() add

Then in audiobank\music put an .ogg file named titlemusic (you can use .wave but you need to change it in the code)

Additionally add this below function title_free()

Then it will stop soon as you go to loading screen.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This has changed too many times."

Actually its only changed the once .... The first time you could just add music to the titlebank and then it was all converted to LUA to give you much more freedom over Pages and menu buttons ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2016 20:28 Edited at: 26th Nov 2016 21:03
Hello,

OK...Now it is back! ...It was simpler this way. Also, an alternate to how it is now done as discussed in this thread. How many of you have experienced the massive crash of your system because of missing sound?

==============================================

Mr. Bamber: I hope you meanPath: gameguru/files/ titlesbank/default/TITLE.OGG

25th Nov 2016 1.33 fixes/ updates:

"* Added code to TITLE.LUA to reinstate the auto-title-music feature, add TITLE.OGG to DEFAULT folder"

I want to add this apparent bug... If you create a folder with its own sound ....a Standalone will not pick it up in the build. After the build is created you need to move the folder containing the audio into the path you designated in the LUA script (example:Title.LUA) under audiobank ------> Music.

Not doing this results in a massive crash of the Standalone MENU that only a reboot gets you out of or if your lucky and have a second monitor you can have the task manager open and do a force quit of the GG Standalone.

And why is it, that after a Standalone is created under Audiobank ----> Music ---->"the escape" folder holds audio files you will not use?

File output in the Standalone seem really sloppy in the Menu. Realy, we need to insist on a proper editor for:

12 game resolutions from 1920x1200 ----> 1280x720

THESE WERE JPG now they are PNG why are the water mark screens also not changed to PNG?

about
end
lost
title

Who else is struggling with this?!
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
add any sounds you want to be copied onto a static item in the sound slots too (even though they wont be used on that entity it will make the standalone creation pick up the files) .

if you use sprites you dont need to worry about different size images as they are % based so 100,100 will cover the entire screen no matter what resolution the user has (best to make your image a good size to start with though so any stretching will still look nice)
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2016 20:57
From Lee's update post:
Quote: "Added code to TITLE.LUA to reinstate the auto-title-music feature, add TITLE.OGG to DEFAULT folder"

So all back to the old way when the next update comes out.

Reliquia....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2016 21:54 Edited at: 26th Nov 2016 20:37
@smallg....I don't get your sprite reference in relation to the main MENU. In particular how GG determines resolution/game play.

In total there would be over 72 screens to replace in a Standalone finished game. Not including whether or not you want to change the Watermark GG screens that is in ---> Files--->Languagebank --->english----->artwork 12 images there.

The way I understand the GG engine is that it will pick the "best" resolution and scale game performance depending on monitor settings.

CONFIRMED:

(****By the way Zombies run faster better AI.... I just found this if you lower screen resolution to something like 1280 x 720. I tried it on a laptop with Nvidia 500M with great improvement in game play over the laptops native 1366x768 resolution***)

So Main Title 12:

1024 x 768
1152 x 864
1280 x 720
1280 x 800
1280 x 960
1366 x 768
1440 x 900
1600 x 900
1600 x 1200
1680 x 1050
1920 x 1080
1920 x 1200
= 60 screens to change/account for

Add GG Watermark another 12! Total of 72 screens to change on a custom game !!!?? Realy? Assume, we are not talking about changing the button options at all.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
no it's only used to pick which image to display in an attempt to keep the aspect correct, this can be easily changed in the resolutions.lua file by changing line 26
Quote: "return g_strBestResolution"

to your desired resolution (the image size you want to use)
i.e.
Quote: "return (1920).."x"..(1200)"

this way you only need to edit 1 lot of images.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2016 22:30 Edited at: 25th Nov 2016 22:32
Hello,

What!??....yes this starts to make sense I don't get why GG put all those screen options in. I was.... Like what the Hell!!

I built games in other software where the resolution is checked by the code. Then set to a lower aspect ratio "or what you want" and then at the end of the game/program sets the resolution back to the default aspect ratio originally at. I don't get the logic behind GG Menu. Watched some GG video... and I was wondering what he was talking about....Who would change all screens.... but there they are in the default GG folder. That's why I said stuff is sloppy.

There needs to be a sample of this code setting resolutions.... Perhaps a tutorial.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2016 09:12 Edited at: 26th Nov 2016 13:10
This is simply because there is no official editor for the menus as of yet..... Once there is then it will be addressed but it is possible to do it manually..
You could use StyleGuru until then ..... you only have to make one screen for each and StyleGuru creates the other sizes for you ...

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212352
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Game_Making
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2016 20:30 Edited at: 26th Nov 2016 21:04
Hello @Sychromesh,

Yes, I looked at StyleGuru...took it off my system. Did not work for me perhaps is useful to others. Used Photoshop for my first GG project, but it was a pain with all the screens I thought I needed to change. If so I need to find a setup with macros to cover all the screen resolutions.

Then again why?!! If @smallg can elaborate specific steps for a resolutions.lua script and "one screen" @ 1080 x 1920 GG goes one higher @ 1920 x1200.

You still would need to cover 5 screens for these scenarios:

about
end
lost
title

Concerned about load time of a PNP file with a screen resolution that needs to show the image at something lower like:

1280 x720
1366 x 768

These are aspect ratios of 16:9. I am wondering what might happen when calculations ratios are more like 4:3.

I should point out the EARLY Youtube video that talked about these two subjects (SCREENS/Title.ogg) simultaneously (rational/screens/title.ogg)

Broadcast #8 : How to customize the menu screens of a standalone executable game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8rOhDTQaOI

Start about: 9:12 ---> 33:18

I need to understand the method with "default" and "style.txt" for creating different screens for different games if this is the FORMAL way to do this now ....still seems like a big pain with all the screens. Prefer a script.

Kind of confusing if there is a better/faster scripting way to do this SCREEN change stuff.

Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 21:10:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 21:10:06