Feature Creep / Bugsy's "stuff that should have been done a long time ago" Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 17:35
Here are some features that game guru is bugging me not having. Some of these I find utterly ridiculous, stuff that FPSC had and the fact that gameguru doesn't is a travesty, others are stretch goals/crazy ideas I've had, others are just common sense.

1. The ability to completely disable terrain. I don't mean "goindoors.lua" I mean I want there to be an option to create and save a map that has no terrain in existence. or water. This would be great for people creating outer space maps, or just people that don't want the added millions of polygons that terrain is responsible for. It would also make level design a LOT easier for those of us who are tired of having to normal the terrain to every ground surface for AI's sake (then watch it move all the entities they've placed)

2. The ability to CSG cut/Punch holes in entities. Not all of us like the even-more-limited version of segments that we were given instead of a sensible geometry construction kit. It would be great to be able to pop doors wherever I want in my entity walls instead of having to make and export a new 3d mesh for every new modification of a wall I need.

3. Weapon Jump and Landing animations. transition animations for to/from sprint would be cool too.

4. "Max Fall Height" - instead of just a hurt fall minimum, a Max fall maximum, and the damage would interpolate between them

5. Static lightmapper improvements: MAINLY the ability to select the region you want to lightmap/update the lightmaps on and exclude everything else. This would be great for testing lighting on small portions of a level, and preventing that annoying thing when you add something slightly too far away from center stage and gameguru decides it has to lightmap every square inch of existing terrain in a 3 hour "computer sounds like its dying" nightmare

6. Particle Explosions by default- It's almost 2018 guys seriously

7. Simple SCRIPT-MAKER/event sequencer- This is a long shot, I know, but i guess if I was the developer of a game design tool that was meant to be something that someone with no programming talent could pick up and make a game, I definitely would have included a simple way to generate scripts for mundane conditional stuff like characters playing animations and objects moving and making sounds way before I included an unbelievably over the top feature that even the likes of huge multi-million dollar budget engines don't even have, like, oh I don't know, 3D character creator . Call me crazy but it seems like there are a LOT more ways to get a rigged, textured, animated 3D character created with no art talent than there are for someone with no programming talent to do BARE MINIMUM stuff that most games have not been without since 2004. Seems like TGC took their 3D game tool for people who can't code and made it a coder's tool for people who can't make 3D.

8. Bring back the Legacy FPSC build game dialog window. It confounds me why this perfectly user friendly and sensible system for building a standalone was replaced with the rudimentary "make a exe" button, but now we can't even change loading screens or music or menus without a ridiculous amount of scripting/customization. This should be something a 5-year-old can do (like it was before)

9. AI system improvements- First (and this is a long shot knowing FPSC's rocky past with allied AI) allies who will follow the player, or follow a waypoint, or auto target the winzone, stopping if the player goes too far away. I'd also love to see the "spawn when dead" and "maximum spawn" and "maximum alive at one time" stuff that FPSC had for its characters come back. That would make us able to make firefights last longer by spawning and respawning characters. Civilian AI would be cool too.

10. Terrain Improvements; The ability to put multiple different grasses, and a better control over grass height variance would be nice. That way you could use the grass system to do cool stuff like scatter distant trees on a mountain or create a giant distant crowd of people. Another suggestion is spline roads, not totally necessary but would be an awesome feature.

11. Ladders, Swimming, Double Jumps. I saw another poster saying that this wasn't important to them and laughed. Maybe this isn't important to everyone but I really can't understand how it's not. Ladders Double Jumps and swimming are the first of MANY improvements to the player locomotion system that could make way for better changes later on, such as dynamic gravity adjustment, climbing walls and ledges, walljumping, and more stuff I'm sure will be thought of.

Lee gave me his email a while back so I could contact him directly for necessary improvements for kshatriya, and he was very quick about introducing the ability to change weapon animation speed in the gunspec. Most of these things are beyond the realm of what can be done with a simple edit, however, so Im posting them here to see if it gets seen/ if there is community agreement.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 18:44
Quote: "10. Terrain Improvements; The ability to put multiple different grasses, and a better control over grass height variance would be nice. That way you could use the grass system to do cool stuff like scatter distant trees on a mountain or create a giant distant crowd of people. Another suggestion is spline roads, not totally necessary but would be an awesome feature."

Absolutely agree, there's so much more that can be done with terrain, even Unity's basic terrain editor is better in some aspects than ours (it's just their control method that's annoying). What I have always wanted was to get rid of that stupid terrain texture blending order system we have, and just have all terrain textures blend seamlessly, Unity does it without issues, I know Lee said he didn't want to do it because it would be a drag on resources, but with the DX11 update maybe he could look into it again.

Another thing I would like is a way to set the exact size we want for our terrain to show and use. Maybe that could tie into your request for switching the terrain off, setting it to 0\0 would get rid of it, setting it to 5000\500 would give a 5000 by 500 unit square and so on.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree also... I love every bit of it Bugsy...
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 21:17
I hear ya.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 21:21
I'm glad some people saw/commented/agreed. 1,2,5, and 8 are my most important ones, the rest I either hope are already in the works or am pretty sure no attention will be devoted.
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 21:44
the terrain was something I was interested in also, I think the terrain should be a separate entity with a sandbox to allow editing, and yes I agree with what you have raised, I think most of your points are on the vote page, but unfortunately AI seems to be the most popular problem with most users here.

to be honest I think the game editor needs some TLC I don't really understand why it is different from FPSC I thought that was the template used to create GG, anyhow the DX11 upgrade seems to be almost complete so hopefully a lot of the niggly things will get attention
Welcome to the real world!
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2017 13:38
Agreed! I think it would be cool if you could place blocks of terrain similar to how you place an EBE site.
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2017 17:02
Agreed!

To be honest I really don't think GG has improved a great deal from Reloaded as far as playability, given the time frame since GG came on the scene. I really thought by now we would be able to drive vehicles and fly aircraft, have water at different heights, even control water height via lua, but such things are sadly very slow in coming - well I hope they at coming anyway.

Before the 16 texture intro, I use to like painting the terrain - especially in test mode - but now I don't like it at all because it is no longer user friendly imo. The old system was WAY better.

I think a lot of time has been spent on features that have in no way added playability to the engine, and should have been added later - but that is the problem with the voting board I guess.

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2017 06:52
Yes!

Quote: "3. Weapon Jump and Landing animations. transition animations for to/from sprint would be cool too."

Absolutely! If Lee reads this: We don't need the stock weapons to actually have these new animations, just the ability to include them!

(Why am I on the forums...I should be working )
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2017 12:09
Lot of good points raised there Bugsy.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2017 05:35
New one: Better zone/waypoint system. putting zones on entities like buildings is a drag, and waypoints seem normal to any surface they please (vertically) when you click on them. My suggestion:

Zones as boxes. Simple resizable transparent boxes. That way they could have a height, Floor Zones could be represented by a one sided plane, and waypoints could be a number of named, numerically increasing zones, (AI2_waypoint_1,AI2_waypoint_2, etc.) of any size (AI2 would be the name of the characters who would follow the waypoints). This could be worked into the much needed AI improvement we've needed for a long time (flinching animations and the "meh" floor zones we have are a nice touch though)
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 31st Aug 2017 07:13
Quote: "Zones as boxes. Simple resizable transparent boxes"

I'm pretty sure with a little messing with lua and a model that can be done already. Haven't a clue how to do it, but i think the functionality is there.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2017 18:38
if that's true, then it shouldn't be hard at all for lee to make and implement the much more user friendly waypoint/zone system we deserve
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2017 10:17
Quote: "It's almost 2018 guys seriously"

Then please also add "Dynamic lights shall cast shadows" to your list.

Sutdios abandoned the then-gamebryo version for a lack of that in 2005.
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
Harkin Hails M.
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With Rocks. Ooga Booga.
Posted: 3rd Sep 2017 21:53
Quote: "Sutdios abandoned the then-gamebryo version for a lack of that in 2005."

Except for Bethesda which keeps re-using that terrible engine and showing how awful it is performance-wise with dynamic shadows or volumetric effects.
PM
Cylo
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2017 11:52 Edited at: 4th Sep 2017 12:29
These are points I'd be raising too.

These are very simple things that would have been there since the beginning. Why not?

And for example, Elevators too.

I guess that progress is slow because Lee is practically working alone.
I reported some bugs to him and he is solving them. He looks very busy.

But I think that those simple features, available even in classic FPSC, should be at least on TOP of the Community Vote.
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 18:37
I'd like to think elevators falls under the improvements to the player locomotion system that I'm looking for double jumps (or better yet for that matter walljumps, but that is just a contextual double jump), swimming and ladders from. With the simple ability to contextually move vertically or change gravity, an elevator would be only a step or so away. I think the best way to handle this would be to really improve the collision/collision detection engine, so that elevators with interiors (something i tried and failed to do in kshatriya) could be created and reliable. It could be as simple as animating your elevator, defining frame ranges, and giving it elevator.lua

@ertlov
while we're at it, what about literally any other type of light other than a point light, perhaps a spotlight or lights that emit on lines?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:15:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:15:21