Third Party Tools / ReShade Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 01:35
Does anyone know if it's possible in Reshade to have effects, like on different entities?
So say a black and white filter on one entity, a cartoon filter on another entity etc?
I'm not a box of avocados, Logan
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 07:31
No. ReShade is a post processing shader, meaning it is only applied to the whole screen after it's been rendered by Game Guru. It can't be applied to specific items within a scene. Do you have a picture of the kind of look you're going for?

AE
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 08:50
For each entity you want to apply an effect to requires a separate .FX file which would be referenced in the .FPE file.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT
Zero_HP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 18:46 Edited at: 17th Jul 2017 19:00
@AE- here is a screenshot of my game as it is is at the minute. I've basically just copied and converted all the textures to black and white, leaving a few entities in colour for effect, like blood.
I was hoping there would be an easier way than converting every texture 1 by 1, but I thats the way I'm gonna have to do it if I want splashes of colour in there.

@BotR- So it is possible to have ReShade on, but have certain entities unaffected by ReShade?
Or you mean just re-texture the entities I wanted changing?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 19:07
Quote: "So it is possible to have ReShade on, but have certain entities unaffected by ReShade?"

No
Zero_HP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 19:21
Ah, cheers Wolf. Doing it all by hand it is then. Why should my game making life be any different to my love life
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 20:28 Edited at: 17th Jul 2017 20:35
You could tweak the entity shader to remove the colour from the textures. In this way you are just updating the fpe of the entities you want to be black and white and can leave the textures alone (adding a version of the entity shader that grey scales the texture colour). You could even have a dynamic version that switches between black and white and the original texture via a lua switch as long as you were to happy to coerce one of the existing commands (as the user defined shader variabless is way down the voting list). Slight problem is that this shader work would have to be redone after the dx11 update.

EDIT. It does look like you are doing a sin city style effect as Wolf mentioned. This effect can be done with post processing as it essentially removes colour from everything on the screen except for pixels above a certain threshold of red. It can be quite effective especially if you also colour those entities or parts of entities that you definitely want to stand out in consistent red.

Cheers.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 20:59
Quote: "Doing it all by hand it is then. Why should my game making life be any different to my love life"

But seriously though, ReShade acts like a filter for screenshots, it never acts directly on anything in-game, just on the full frames rendered by GG. You will have more control doing it by hand, but it will take longer unfortunately.

AE
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 17th Jul 2017 21:23 Edited at: 17th Jul 2017 21:24
Quickly added a few lines to the shader for you in case you want to go the fpe route.

Put the attached in your effectbank\reloaded folder and update any fpe's of entities you want to be black & white with this line:

In fact copy the fpe and the .bmp files for those entities you want a blank and white version of, rename them with a suffix say BW and update the 'BW' fpe file to have the line above. Then you can easily have a black and white and colour version of the same entity using the same texture and mesh.

A two minute tweak and just a quick test though seems ok:

Cheers.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zero_HP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2017 00:23
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys.
And Cybernescence, thats great, it'll prove super useful
sbegley001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2017 03:16
If im not mistaken, there is a Sin City shader affect in reshade which turns everything black and white except for red
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2017 06:37
Thank you cybernescence.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:55:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:55:42