3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Making Custom Weapons/Guns for Game Guru

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, this question has been asked a few times. From some threads I find some answers, but some I do not. As of right now, I am still stumped. SO Im going to try explaining this as best I can. For the most part, I design the environment/Levels, its what I like doing best. However, I do a little bit of 3D modeling on the side. I have always wanted to put some of my models into the game, specifically, guns. For a project Im working on, I wanted some western guns (Winchester, Lever Action, Double Barrel, Revolvers, etc.). However there are none that really fit the bill in Game Guru, or on the asset store. So I thought I would try again to find the answer to this, but I still cant seem to find what Im looking for, so HERE is my question (more like a plea for help). I am able to model a gun (only the gun, not the hands or anything else), and im able to make a normal, defuse and specular map for the guns. After that, I don't know what to do. Ive seen people say to use fragmotion, but I don't know how to use that. I also don't know how to get it into Game Guru to make it actually work. I would be extremely grateful if I could learn to do this. Like I actually have a deep desire to learn how to make this work. If anyone can help, I would very much appreciate it. I do ask that you please don't reference me to another forum because odds are Ive looked through it. I anxiously await a response in hopes that I can finally do this. Thank you all!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 14:57
Hello Short Kid Ross!
The reason you might not have found that much information on this is simply because its among the hardest things to do in 3D design. So people who do it usually have a fairly complete idea on how to tackle it because they have done so much 3D before. I'll try my best to give you a relative guideline:

So, to summarize, you can model and texture a gun? Good!

Now you will need a hand rig. You can just use the stock ones if you know how to convert them for your 3D package or browse the web for a free hand rig. There are several around. You can find ripped rigs on gamebanana but here the license may be a problem.
You will now have to rig your gun to the set of hands you have and then animate it. Thats hard. Very hard.... depending on the software you have it might be the most frustrating thing to do on your computer (apart from playing an FPS at 4 fps). Animating is an hard form that takes a long time to learn and animating for first person has to be very well made because flaws will immediately stand out.
Now, wild west guns have a lot of moving parts and require you to load in a lot of little bullets and slide a lot of levers. If you have never animated before this is impossible to do. If you are still determined to learn I'm sure there are several tutorials on how to get this going in your 3d package.
You can of course always hire people like Bugsy to rig and animate your models but that is never cheap.

But lets assume you are looking for a more practical solution. Here I can help because I'm all about practical solutions. However, this will cost you a little money...unless you already have these from FPSC back in the late 2000's.

This is an asset pack from local artist EAI.

It includes several revolvers. Now you have an animation and you have hands. You just have to remove the original more modern gun and add your wild west gun. Then you have to rig it to the existing animations. This is easy... and as you mentioned before it can be done in fragmotion.

Here is a video!

Now to get it into GG: EAI's weapons are almost ready for GG out of the box. You just have to do the following for a smooth import.
1.) There can be only 1 material file, otherwise the gun will be black in GG
2.) The texture has to be unified. That means there can be only one diffuse map. The hands and the guns texture have to be on the same image.
3.) You'll need to add a shader effect line and tweak a few values.

In fact I wrote a tutorial to help you in case you actually get this far: LINK

As you can see, this isn't an easy process! Salutations for attempting it anyway and please keep us updated on how its progressing.

-Wolf
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 16:42 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2017 16:53
Technically, an arm rig isn't needed. An easier way to learn the GG-side requirements is to do the weapon without visible hands (Timesplitters style) or use a fake hand which doesn't animate. My first imports for FPSC used a fake hand and off-screen reloads. If you're not already familiar with rigging an animating, that aspect can be overwhelming if also trying to learn the import and setup process at the same time.

reference: no-hands fake-hand
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win10 Pro 64-bit, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1280x1024
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 17:31
Yes if the fake hand/no hand thing is too "hasn't been done since the early 2000s" for you, I will animate your guns pretty cheap, providing you don't mind them on EAI's old FPSC hands.

HOWEVER: I will say that with complicated gun rigs, such as older rifles and revolvers, gameguru REALLY loves to mess them up, despite an otherwise flawless .fbx export that works in 99% of other software, or even a .x export that will, as said, work in 99% of other softwares.

The HARDEST part of putting guns in gameguru is making a gun that looks perfect in everything you load it into EXCEPT gameguru, and I can promise that will be a consistent issue for the first several guns you try to make work with animated hands. With a gun with so many moving parts, a fake hand or no hands would be SO much easier for gameguru to "comprehend" and less likely to mess up.

I can also animate handless guns for you, however doing that would be a great way for you to practice and get to the point where you could animate your own guns.
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 23:39 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2017 23:51
I have been looking into this same issue... I have been working on a cowboy game and have been looking for a winchester rifle and dual revolvers... See my WIP thread here - https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/216086

I just realized that "Weapon Welder" is now free so I am just starting to use that. https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218123#msg2580033

I love the idea of using fake hands or no hands...

@Bugsy - if you made a Winchester rifle and a set of dual revolvers, I would love to buy them.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 17:17:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 17:17:02