Product Chat / Steps necessary to bring your own animated characters into GG?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 23rd May 2017 22:04
I have been getting characters ready to go, but do not know how to bring them into GG. Static objects I can convert to fbx and use the onboard model importer just fine, but characters I don't know how yet.

I can rig them with Mixamo and then use UU3D Pro to convert to Directx.

I can load the resulting file into Fragmotion but not sure how to save animations into the models yet.

So, say that's done, now how do I import them into GG?

How do I import the main 3rd person character into GG and define it as the main character (player)?

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.world-class-multimedia.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2017 12:29
There is a tool you might still be able to buy called FBX2GG which can take the FBX model and FBX animation files and produce an X file ready to import into GameGuru as an entity character.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 24th May 2017 12:42
Quote: "There is a tool you might still be able to buy called FBX2GG which can take the FBX model and FBX animation files and produce an X file ready to import into GameGuru as an entity character."

Lee, with regards to importing characters into GameGuru, we've just been hit recently with the news that Adobe/Mixamo will be adjusting their web services with regards to Fuse characters soon, the part that will hit us most is that they will no longer be providing the FBX Decimator service, which means many Fuse characters will be too high poly for GameGuru, is there any chance that with the DX11 and FBX import work you are doing you could look into increasing the allowable number of poly's for characters so that we can still use Fuse characters?

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2017 18:00
To define the 3rd person character as the player, place the start marker, and then place the character on top of the start marker.
i5 2500k 3GB GTX1060 8GB RAM Windows 10
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2017 18:19
The DirectX11 FBX import will support 32-bit index buffers, which means yes, you can have models that exceed the 22K poly per mesh limit
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2017 20:10
Awesome, now I just need to try and get hold of raf and ask him to adjust FBX2GG to allow characters over that limit

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
gd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2017 20:19 Edited at: 25th May 2017 23:19
For those of you who are new to Decimating your Models and Characters... you could just use blender to Decimate your model including characters. Just use the Decimate Modifier with Collapse selected and reduce the ratio. For areas of the model you want to keep detailed make these areas into groups. Then work on the other areas. You can also invert the groups too which will speed up the process.

How I use mixamo

I make my model / characters as a obj, fbx, bvh, but I mainly just use obj in blender.
Then upload to www.mixamo.com
Rig the model
Added the animations I want
Then download in the dae file format
Import model back into blender using the new mixamo rigged main model dae
Decimate the model / character by making and using groups - It would pay to do this before uploading if it is your own model lol
Decimate Modifier with Collapse selected and reduce the ratio.
Groups:
First select the what looks like the [ upside down triangle] which is the [ Data ] (Object Data) from the properties menu.
Click & Select the first part of your model in [ Edit mode ] you wish to make into a group (vertex group) to start the decimate process.
Then in the properties menu directly under, click the plus sign to the right [ + ] and then you may want to change weight to 1 like so [Weight: 1.000]
Change the name of the group if you need more than one area to decimate then click assign. This will create your first group then just follow the same process for all other groups.
Next when you go to the Decimate Modifier you can select each group in turn for the decimate process and even invert groups [ <-> ] (This is right next to the group drop box and looks like two arrows) to speed up the process.
But keep this in mind which can be very important in some game engines: You may need to add the Triangulate Modifier after or during the decimate process which can be done from the modifier menu or by clicking the Triangulate tick box when you select you group from the drop box in the Decimate Modifier properties. They are right next to each other. This is because some game engines only support triangulate meshes while blender can use other meshes types too. You should be okay if you keep this in mind.
I'm not going to go into the others mesh types as this is a whole other subject.

Then create a timeline for the animation by importing the other dae's one at a time then moving them to the main model time-line so they run in sequence.

Note: If you don't do it this way your model / character bone animation will not move with the character. The character will just stand there while the bones animate. But great to watch the first time you do it lol

Before exporting your DirectX model, make a note of the key frames of when your next animations starts and finishes.
Next export as a DirectX animated model in the normal way. Don't forget to select your animation option for DirectX when exporting.
Create a FBE file for your model / character and add the key frames to the new AI anim area.

Note: Take a look at other FBE character files for an idea on how they are set out.

Create a bmp image with all your other images / files. Then drop them into a folder in the [ user ] folder in [ entitybank ] or a folder you have created. I just use the [ charactercreator ] folder or create a sub folder in this directory.

Note: This is a long way to do it but the results are great plus you get to know how animations in blender really work.

That's about it, but you can have even more fun making lua script for the characters. That could take hours, just time I don't have lol

I forgot to say don't forget to make a FIRESPOT bone in your model for weapons fire if it does not include this by default. If you have bought a FBX model online this may already have one that may need renaming to work in game guru.

The main reason I don't use FBX in blender is they don't all import well based on the version / age of the model. Don't waste your time buying FBX models online when they may not work with other apps like blender. Most of the time you can buy a cheaper obj version then rig yourself. Also if you have fragMOTION you can export the animation with bones and bring into blender as a bvh file format from most of the game guru characters. I say most as I have not tried them all lol.

Update 25/05/17
Note: Without going into to much depth on how to make the groups for the decimation of your model. This will be a quick overview which has been highlighted above.

gd - Ed.
Dark Base 900 Pro OJ: Rampage V Ed.10, i7 6950x non-OC, DDR4-3333 64 GB RAM, Win 10/64, Asus Strix GeForce 1080 x 2 SLI mode, Water cooled with an old Victorian cast iron radiator and a industrial leather belt driven fan - That's what you call Steampunked.

Laptop - M17xR3
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2017 15:02
@gd : That's a pretty cool process, and sounds like all the essential tools are free too. I would not mind paying for a small PDF tutorial on this if you want to contact me directly at lee@thegamecreators.com. Once the PDF is done, I can probably make a quick video tutorial based on the process. Until the new FBX importer is up and running (part of the engine DX11 overhaul), I think this is a great way to highlight the many areas required to get awesome rigged and animating characters into GameGuru

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2017 15:36
I've spoken to Raf and it's not good news, FBX2GG is made in DBPro and the plygon limit is present there, Raf can't increase the poly limit in FBX2GG

GD, i would love a step by step video of how to do that, because so far no matter what i've tried, using all sorts of guides, even having a Udemy instructor talk me through it, i just can't get deciimate in blender to work without completely ruining the model for GameGuru.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
gd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2017 19:26 Edited at: 25th May 2017 19:30
Hi guys, when I get a few hours spare I will looking into making a PDF step by step without all the mistakes I made in the beginning lol. It won't be any time soon as to busy with other projects / work. But asap I will produce something you can work with. @Belidos, when it comes to a video I don't really have the gear for voice over and I don't think your get the benefits from my editing video skills as I still work with Betamax and Philips LaserDisc media lol

But Lee's idea may be better.

@Lee, I won't think of charging for this PDF as you guys help me out so much here even if I forget to say it from time to time.

A big thanks from me to all you guys!
Dark Base 900 Pro OJ: Rampage V Ed.10, i7 6950x non-OC, DDR4-3333 64 GB RAM, Win 10/64, Asus Strix GeForce 1080 x 2 SLI mode, Water cooled with an old Victorian cast iron radiator and a industrial leather belt driven fan - That's what you call Steampunked.

Laptop - M17xR3
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2017 21:38 Edited at: 25th May 2017 21:41
This thread should win the award for one of the most informative threads this year...

I learned several great things from a several people in this thread...

Wow, there's a lot of great stuff here!
PM
gd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2017 23:40 Edited at: 26th May 2017 00:10
@Belidos: I forgot to say, its always better to break group areas of the mesh / model into groups. I have highlighted above the process I use.
That maybe why your models look like goo when using Blenders Decimate Modifier trying to reduce the model polygon count / vertices, etc. Using groups gives you better control over the detail of your models. Plus its better than using dissolve which takes forever lol

Laptop - M17xR3
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2017 23:59
Yeah I've tried groups too, but what happened was once I imported them into gameguru, when I place them they literally fall apart, all the different pieces laying on the floor, never was able to work out what had gone wrong.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
gd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 00:08
Sorry wrong choice of words I did not mean break the model up just make groups. You can always re-join your mesh after lol

Laptop - M17xR3
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 04:07 Edited at: 26th May 2017 04:09
So there is no easy way I see. I don't use (or want to use) Blender. I just cannot come to grips with the interface and don't want to learn it.

I have tons of other software to do the same thing.

I can rig my characters in Mixamo and export to .dae (if that's the best format to keep the character and animations in one file).

However, after that, what do I use to get it into .x format, UU3D Pro (which I do own) or Milkshape (got that one, too)?

Once it's in directx format, now what?

You guys talk about FPE files - what are those, text files? Do I just copy and paste one and then change some parameters?

Sounds like there should be a built in character importer at this point!!!

I know the Directx 11 port is coming with .fbx import, but who knows when that will be and I need this stuff now, not months from now.

Any thoughts on a MUCH easier and direct workflow than was mentioned above?

Unity, Shiva - they're all just import and use. Heck, even Coppercube can import characters pretty easily, and that's way below the quality level of GG.

Static models I can get into GG. But characters with animations seems like a total PITA to do.

Lee, what gives??? Why so damn complex?

Mike

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 05:04
Quote: "Any thoughts on a MUCH easier and direct workflow than was mentioned above?"

FBX2GG is the easiest way to do it. Period. (at this time; things are changing on both sides, though) If you place any value on your time, it's worth the $30. The sucky part is the decimator utility is going away from Mixamo/Adobe in late August, so do it soon! The upgrade to DX11 along with improved FBX import should change things from then on.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 05:49
The best way to start is to take an FPE file from an existing character, and change the name, texture path, model path and animation frames.
i5 2500k 3GB GTX1060 8GB RAM Windows 10
gd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 08:05 Edited at: 26th May 2017 09:43
Hi World Class Multimedia, with Maximo your better of using FBX format to keep it simple. I just download in the .dae format as it works for me and gives me more control over animations. If you can get hold of copy of FBX2GG then use that as it will be easier for you. Just use the maximo decimator service while its still around.
If you download in .dae it will be in many files which will then need to be imported into a modeller of your choice. I was just sharing the way I do it.

Until the new GG FBX importer comes our way there is no easy way to get FBX files into GG except FBX2GG.

I never use the GG importer as it does not really work. I just make the DirectX models, FPE, BMP and textures then just throw them into the entitybank. Nine times out of ten it always works better this way. Just read some of the FPE files and supporting docs in the GG folders.

The files for the entitybank are located here; based on a standard windows and steam install:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Game Guru\Files\entitybank\

Now make a folder in the entitybank most people just use the user folder which is here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Game Guru\Files\entitybank\user

Now make a FPE file for your model and name it YourFileName.fpe change this to your character name like the example below which is Combat Mutant.fpe make the BMP the same file name as the fpe file but with the .bmp file extension lol

Example below is of the Combat Mutant character, change all the highlighted areas below

header
desc = Combat Mutant

;visualinfo
textured = combat_mutant_D.dds
effect = effectbank\reloaded\character_basic.fx
castshadow = 0

;ai
aimain = ai_soldier.lua

;orientation
model = masked soldier.X
offx = 0
offy = 0
offz = 0
rotx = 0
roty = 0
rotz = 0
defaultstatic = 0
materialindex = 0

;identity details
ischaracter = 1
hasweapon = modern\colt1911
isobjective = 0
cantakeweapon = 1
ragdoll = 1
endcollision = 0
speed = 200

;headlimbs
headlimbs = 32,54

;statistics
strength = 200
explodable = 0
debrisshape = 0

;decal
decalmax = 0

;spawn
spawnmax = 0
spawndelay = 0
spawnqty = 0

;anim
animmax = 5
playanimineditor = 1
anim0 = 100,205 ;idle
anim1 = 685,707 ;move
anim2 = 5511,5553 ;kick
anim3 = 4812,4850 ;hurt
anim4 = 515,605 ;reload

;character animation (reference only)
csi_relaxed1 = 900,999
csi_relaxed2 = 1000,1282
csi_relaxedmovefore = 1290,1419
;...and so on.

If you have other animation add them here so you and easily access them when you script your character at a later date.
Save the fpe file in the same location as your 64x64 BMP of the character, your character textures ( best format for models is to use the .dds file format for textures).
For more information on this; open the document [ Importing models into GameGuru.pdf ] which is located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Game Guru\Docs\

Once you have placed all the files in your user directory just open GG and select the new character from your entity menu. That's it unless you need to add lua script. That will have to be placed into you scriptbank folder and linked in the highlighted fpe example above

;ai
aimain = path to your custom script

That's about it on how to import your character model files into GG. That's if your model is already to go and it is in the DirectX or DBO format.

gd - Ed.

Laptop - M17xR3
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 13:39
GD,

Thank you so very much - and everyone else - for all your wise advise.

My big fear going with GG as our engine is that I want my characters to look as cute as they do - decimating them will change all that.

They are pretty low poly as is. We were using Unity, but so many crashes and problems and I just gave up. We will be using Shiva for our bigger projects, but considering 2.0 has taken years to create, we will not trust Shiva until we see where it's going.

Meanwhile, GG is awesome and I have been a true believer of The Game Creators for decades now. I believe a quality AAA game can be created with the combo of GG and AGK2.

We are trying to create a serious marketable game that is already greenlit on STEAM. We will be creating a kickstarter campaign once we have gameplay video available. That is why I am TRYING to get these characters in there.

The programming will be done in AGK2 using the GGLoader to convert the GG levels.

I assume we still need to import the characters the way described regardless of AGK2, correct?

I will buy the gg2fbx (if I can - it seems to be a chore just to buy it from the author) as soon as I can. $30 won't kill me at all.

Meanwhile, I will use Mixamo's decimator service (I do have a adobe membership, so I do get all the cool Mixamo services).

How many polys (per character) do I need to keep below to be currently in compliance with GG?

Mike

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 13:41
Quote: "How many polys (per character) do I need to keep below to be currently in compliance with GG?
"

Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 13:50
What percentage do I need to put into Mixamo Decimator to get the best quality product that is compliant with GG?

Mike

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 13:56
when using the online Mixamo decimator I advise using a small percent value initially say 10%. If you go too high you will lose quality. it's trial and error.

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 14:06 Edited at: 26th May 2017 14:11
I just use 22000/# of polygons. That's my percentage. The fuse app will display # of polys if you check the option. I wish it stayed on, though.

(I round down just to be safe)
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 14:14 Edited at: 26th May 2017 14:16
I used Meshlab just now to see the statistics of my models.

https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/polygon_reduction_with_meshlab

First one has 15,000 faces

Other one has under 10,000 faces.

What is more important, vertices or faces?

Meshlab has a decimator utility as well.

Mike

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 14:19
Neither, the important thing is polygons, each face when rendered will be broken down into a number of tri's or quads, these are the polygons, you need a model under 22k polygons (thew actual limit in gameguru is 23k apparently, but if you can get it under 22k it should avoid issues). A 15,000 face models will have anywhere from 20,000 to 30,000 polygons depending on whether they are quads or tris.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 14:35
They look like quads.

Mike

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 14:49 Edited at: 26th May 2017 14:49
Quote: "They look like quads."

They will be a mixture of quads and tri's, depends on what the shape of the face is and how it's broken down, that's why you need to know the actual poly count, you can't just guess.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 14:51 Edited at: 26th May 2017 14:52
Just so you all know, UU3D (Ultimate Unwrap 3D Pro) has an EXCELLENT polygon reduce mode that keeps the textures, UVs, bones, etc.

You just choose a percentage and it tells you how many polygons it is and how many it will be after decimation.

Works GREAT. In fact, it can even load in directx models, so I think it can be very useful with GG.

Turns out one of my models is a bit over 15,000 polygons (triangles). The other is smaller - so both would work with GG even before decimation.

Mike

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 14:55
Quote: "Turns out one of my models is a bit over 15,000 polygons (triangles). The other is smaller - so both would work with GG even before decimation.
"

Sounds like meshlab uses incorrect terminology, calling poly's faces.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 15:33
Yeah, but I will be using UU3D Pro - much more reliable and imports into Fragmotion cleanly. Obviously the best program for the job.

Question - it can save to Dark Basic .dbo file format. Would that be helpful? Does it maintain bones? Does it maintain animations?

Mike

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 15:50
Quote: "Yeah, but I will be using UU3D Pro -"

I use it all the time,it's a great tool.the more you dig into it the more you see what it can do.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2017 17:14
I'm gonna have to get uu3d pro, i currently just have the amateur version. Great tool for format conversion, but decimator would be nice!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:11:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:11:22