Product Chat / Nightfall effect-may or may not be useful

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 17:44
Anyone have a use for this Nightfall effect? - Thanks to Rolfy's Galaxy Seed model, I've applied the effect to see what results I get. playing around with the speed, specular, bump and other effect values as well as FPE values. One half is completely white in GG but not in Dark Shader, so seeing what I can do.

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 20:26 Edited at: 28th Jan 2017 20:35
The moons in the skydome use an overlay rotated mesh with flipped uv for shadow ,which is rotating but appears static, since the shader uses self illumination. This 'shell' fakes the appearance of shadow on one side of the sphere. The texture is just an alpha gradient.
You may be writing a positioned light into the shader when compiling in Dark Shader and GG is spitting out the dummy. Though I would expect it to appear black if that was the case.
If your using the original shader you need a mask layer for the shadow side.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 02:22
Interesting.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2017 07:31
@Rolfy-thanks for the information-I'll have another look when I get some free time. The Dark-Shader uses just a plain sphere, but GG is using your seed1.X file, which I should have mentioned , forgot about that which will make a big difference.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds interesting, was playing about with a simple one with ambient light, fog and such the other week. Didn't much like the effect though in the end, mainly because the skybox was glaringly bright, which I hoped the fog would hide. We could do with being able to change skyboxes, even hide them in some circumstances (for performance, no need for it, if never seen). Not sure if something like this would tie in to an actual clock though, so the day night syncs properly with the actual time and day.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 12:51:48
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 12:51:48