Product Chat / Opportunity GG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, I have a question
Is it possible to create a game in the likeness rpg Morrowind?
With proper knowledge of Lua script
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 06:55 Edited at: 24th Jan 2017 06:55
Yes and no. Depends on how big you want your game to be.

I am working on something somewhat similar here.

However, the vast openworldness of morrowind will not be achievable, nor will the scope.
Most other features should be possible.

-Wolf
kriminal cartoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the answer, well done
Make those actions that Ms Morrowind:
Write the name in the beginning of the game, the choice of races, quests, etc.
And the most important thing to do with the GUI tools like
I'm counting Lua explore the other day, and I want to ask
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 07:03
Random question im going to throw in too... Is it possible to have multiple levels (like entering and existing houses) that bring you back to the outside in front of the door you just entered? Or are you restricted to just where the player marker is? I've not poked around with stand-alone exporting at all so I'm not sure if anything like this has been implemented or if its left up to us to figure out in LUA with like moving the player based on retaining values from previous maps.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 07:14 Edited at: 24th Jan 2017 07:18
you could save the required XYZ values using LUA script and attach a script to a ?checkpoint? marker to read in the last level XYZ values, if I'm understanding correctly.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is it possible to have multiple levels (like entering and existing houses) that bring you back to the outside in front of the door you just entered?"

Should be simple enough, as said you just need to save your position when you leave the level and load it back when loading it. Just set some variables with a g_ suffix and it should automatically save and load them. If you wanted several locations, as I think you do, then you would set a variable to flag the location and x,y co-ords for each, then check the flag to get the co-ords you were last at when you load in. Probably better to use an array (table) here, but variables will work, just not as tidy. I wouldn't recommend loading a new level for house interiors though, unless it's a big one, just hide that somewhere else on your map, far enough away so the map objects are no longer rendered and transport to the location for speed. Up in the air will work as well as on the map, if you need the whole of it, as long as it's hidden by range or by yourself.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 11:24
Quote: " I wouldn't recommend loading a new level for house interiors though, unless it's a big one, just hide that somewhere else on your map, far enough away so the map objects are no longer rendered and transport to the location for speed."

You'll quickly get out of memory, each house interior and characters will add more to ram, if you have like Skyrim thousand houses on your level.
The only advantage of your system is to get culling working and not display houses interiors and objects in the same level, if your level is small and there is only few houses, it can work your way.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You'll quickly get out of memory, each house interior and characters will add more to ram, if you have like Skyrim thousand houses on your level."

Well, I don't imagine he will want 1000 houses. Its the best way to keep people playing. Sure, you could load a level up for each house, but expect people to stop playing rather quickly. Game Guru loading times are a killer. You would only want a limited amount of interiors per level really. I don't think there would be a major issue. I haven't run out of memory in GG for a long time (apart from after several hours of loading and reloading).

If you needed a huge amount of interiors then you would be far better building your interiors out of sections, of which you would assemble on the fly when you enter the house. That way, you use the same segments, incur no real memory penalty and literally have as many as you want. Skyrim reuses graphics all the time also. A lot more work involved, especially if you have quests and interactive objects in the house. That way you could even assemble the interior at the actual location you are at so you can look out the windows and see your local around you.

There's all sorts of tricks to use really. Just depends how good you are in lua and how much time you want to put in really.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 10:15:12
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 10:15:12