Product Chat / Just shy of 100 hours into first level

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: GameGuru
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 06:42
Curious - how long the average time is for building a level is spent by others? I'm just about to hit 100 hours and that's just for the first level layout and not scripting. Just layout, lighting, all custom 3D characters and custom animations, etc. I'm probably only 50% done too for the first level really enjoying GG so much!
Still learning LUA but 'attempting' to build my first game
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 08:32
Sometimes it takes days, sometimes weeks...
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 08:54
I've been working on my project for about 6 month now, and i haven't even finished the first level, i've completely rebuilt it from the ground up about a dozen times, but that's just because i am fussy, and to be honest most of that was laying the groundwork scripts for quests, inventory, and huds, as well as building my own models.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 20:34
I have been at this since day 1. Thousands of hours probably logged (I haven't checked Steam, but often don't use the Steam launcher anyway). I have NEVER finished a level, lol! But then I have only been serious about it once upon a time. When that level broke due to an update, I just stepped back and messed with/became familiar with new features as they come. I still have the story behind that level in my head, and somewhere I think I even began an outline/script of events. One of these days I will get serious about it again, likely after the AI update. I estimate that had I finished that level to my liking, it would have taken 2-3 months.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Len the man
Years of Service
User Offline
It took me months to refine a level, because it needed a lot of terrain work, a lot of ground clutter to make it look like a natural outdoor setting, and there was also a lot of time spent putting in characters, entities, scripting, sound f/x etc.

I learned a lot along the way, found a lot of good folks here in the forum, I had lots of fun, and it's definitely worth the work.

I learned so much that I could rebuild a level 10 times faster, but building new levels from scratch takes a little bit of time, thought, planning, and re-working things.

I wish you all the best, Unspokenbond.
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 03:42
unspokenbond wrote: "Curious - how long the average time is for building a level is spent by others? I'm just about to hit 100 hours and that's just for the first level layout and not scripting. Just layout, lighting, all custom 3D characters and custom animations, etc. I'm probably only 50% done too for the first level really enjoying GG so much!"

nice! remember, gameguru is not the cat's pyjamas by any means, or near as powerful as source, UDK, or unity. do not expect results of anywhere near the visual fidelity or frame rate you might get out of things youve seen from these engines on the first try. keep in mind that an overloaded level will inevitably collapse under its own weight. the quality of a level, I've noticed, has little to do with the quantity of hours in the map editor spent on it. try and get your ideas and works in progress out there to get valueble feedback from the community.
Unspokenbond
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 04:37
I think I may have just hit the wall fellas - I seem to have entities that now pop in and out of being visible. Or is there a bug that others know of??
PM
Unspokenbond
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 04:47
Man, I love this community and forums so damn much found the answer here gents: https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215917

linked in case anyone else runs into this weirdness as well
PM
Unspokenbond
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 05:55
Quote: "I've been working on my project for about 6 month now, and i haven't even finished the first level, i've completely rebuilt it from the ground up about a dozen times, but that's just because i am fussy, and to be honest most of that was laying the groundwork scripts for quests, inventory, and huds, as well as building my own models."

I'm VERY excited for your game to be honest. The videos you've posted look killer!!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 11:00:42
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 11:00:42