Product Chat / Videotextures - remember this?

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 21:41 Edited at: 20th Jan 2017 21:43
I've been playing around with videotextures tonight and managed to get the old FPSC storyvideo.avi into a videotexture and play the animation onto the original screen ....it's not 100% perfect and there is a splash screen because of the demo software I was using which I will remove later. Will continue experimenting.

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 21:55
wow, thats already cool
I hope sooner or later you will tell us how you did it.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 22:15
no problem sharing this with anyone that's not sure how to do it. You will need software to cut up the video into frames, preferably video to atlas texture software. I've used TexturePacker GUI which is demo version that I'm trying out. Will see if I can find free software that does same thing.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 22:25
Great work,these are all the sort of features people have been asking for.looking forward to the finished item.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 22:34
A good use is to make some sci fi panels animations for example.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 03:33
very awesome
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 08:23
thanks TEabone - here is another link to Nvidia that do DDS tools, I for got about this and it also has an texture atlas tool for anyone interested. Not tried this one out yet, but will see how it compares with TexturePacker Gui.

https://developer.nvidia.com/legacy-texture-tools
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 09:28
does it make a single texture like a grid with the various frames?
If it does there's a gimp tool called frames to texture
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/GIMP_Layers_to_SL_Animated_Texture
its like a second life utility but I use it with the Blender game engine
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 09:52
@arfur9: yes that's correct-thanks for the tip, I'll check the gimp tool out, much appreciated.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 10:05
@arfur9: yes that's correct-thanks for the tip, I'll check the gimp tool out, much appreciated.

[update-wow awesome-thanks again Arfur9 for this-what a life/time saver]
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 10:18 Edited at: 21st Jan 2017 10:19
I'm glad to help
I couldn't get that AtlasCreationTool to work on Wndows 10, I think its the DirectX version maybe, it mentions a bug

There's another plugin for animated fire which works well with the frames to texture
http://registry.gimp.org/node/24695

There's a little bug but the fix is in the comments
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 11:49
thanks Arfur9, yes you're right, I also had problems with the AtlasCreationTool, but the gimp script works perfectly. I'll upload a video shortly (it's just uploading to YT) showing how I did the videotexture effect.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 11:52 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2017 07:26
thanks Arfur9, yes you're right, I also had problems with the AtlasCreationTool, but the gimp script works perfectly. I'll upload a video shortly (it's just uploading to YT) showing how I did the videotexture effect.

[update-I forgot to mention that for the the frames, I reduced the size of each png file using xnconvert.]

https://blenderlex.wordpress.com/2015/03/12/installing-insane-bump-for-gimp-windows/

arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 12:53
Could you possibly share the FX file?
I've tried the TV's Bond1 did a few years ago but I'm not sure what the differences are to fix them for GG
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 12:58
Yes of course, I'm currently out with my wife but will post it as soon as I get back.
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 13:05
Thanks
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 16:34
here you go, just remember to change the line below to the dimensions of your atlas map:

float2 DimensionsXY = float2(6,10);

Credits go to Mark Blosser (Bond1).... I can't take any credit for the effects file.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 17:34
Thanks
I can't wait to see what can be done with this, I've got a simple plane working, basically it was my test from Blender
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 17:44 Edited at: 21st Jan 2017 18:01
Noice, how many frames are needed for the video texture fx?

Edit: Just noticed the video which answered my question

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 18:06 Edited at: 21st Jan 2017 18:07
no worries - for the video I just had originally 60 frames so I set the above line of code (DimensionsXY line) in the fx file to 6,10. Still a bit of playing around to do but I'm enjoying going through shader stuff at the moment. Want to test out all of Preben's awesome shader updates, all good so far.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2017 13:17 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2017 14:00
Nice. Thanks BOTR for the useful tuto, and arfur9 for the useful links.

Would be nice Lee giving support to video texture someday.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2017 14:11 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2017 14:12
Thanks 3com, actually all video texture was in fpsc source code was using load animation and then having video texture Fpi parameter set to 1, would be good to have something similar implemented in GameGuru
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2017 14:35
It looks like using quite frames, anim does not work properly.
I've record some scene in GG (soldier following waypoint), but ending with 168 video frames, I've modele some monitor,
place monitor over a table inside a hut, but anim does not run properly, soldier star walking and stuck in a place.

I also tried to endow the ubersoldier with a camouflage uniform, but I found a dilemma, if I use your shader, the soldier appears black, without texture; And if I use character.fx then the videotextura does not work; A great dilemma.

My idea is to change the soldier's uniform, depending on the area in which he is, using the chameleon system, anyway I'm afraid we'll end needing some extra toys from Lee.

3com

PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 02:03 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2017 02:09
Vid's of some stuff in Classic using video texture, you could even use a key colour for Alpha. Have you tried with a larger number of frames? I am not sure of the limits in Atlas walk frames and not all Walk shaders support more than 64, so maybe suck and see.

I used the models texture and overlayed fx onto that to create a character fx video, the illumination shader worked just fine on video texture characters in Classic but reckon it wouldn't work too well with GG character fx. Video can be used for so much more than just flat screen.

You could even swap out video textures using alt texture in the script and trigger to swap and play on hit/death or whenever.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 07:32 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2017 07:34
Thanks Rolfy, love those effects on the characters. I'm not sure if my method works for characters or if it only works with static type models such as a projector or TV screen. I tried a video file that had over 300 frames and it took quite a long time in gimp to process, so I guess maybe at the moment it's probably best to work with a small number of animation frames. I will see if I can get characters to work.

Sorry all, I forgot to mention that for the the frames, I reduced the size of each png file using xnconvert.

Also, here are the links to the Gimp script and insanebump if you want to try them out.
https://blenderlex.wordpress.com/2015/03/12/installing-insane-bump-for-gimp-windows/
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
This was really easy in DB. Just load a video and set it to the object. I did a little cinema that could play full movies no problem in it. Game Guru could do with this sort of option, as the current shader technique must be severely limited by the texture size at the moment. Sound as well would be difficult to sync in comparison to directly using a video. The shaders for animations are already built in as standard in Game Guru btw, just check the shaders folder. All you need is the correct texture for them to work out the box. No need to alter unless you need more frames.

Here's a vid I did some time back of a demo I put together in DB. It was all real time video mapped onto objects. 2 different vids running at once as you could have several videos running if you wished. I think it takes about 30 or so seconds into the vid before the music starts. It could have done with a bit more tweaking in places, but really I was just messing about with it at the time.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 12:20 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2017 12:23
I tried the GG shaders for my videotexture, but couldn't get them to work in DarkShader as my model would disappear even after playing around with the code/values etc so used an old FPSC one and works fine. It's all trial and error at the moment.
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 13:04
Yes I've noticed they will only work as a single texture, mask layers don't appear to work, the diffuse texture animates as well

I had pondered on doing a GG version of Dark Shader but I don't own the original to see how it worked (the concept)
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 22:32
Quote: "Have you tried with a larger number of frames?"

That limitation can be an issue, since less your frame rate is, fastes your animation is, and sometimes you need slow anim, specially when monitors, tv, coming into scene. You can notice in video below, screen anim is too fast to read the text; I should work a bit, to slow it, in order to give time for read the text, by the player.

I've tried with "float framespersec = 10;", but does not make quite difference.

text :

Quote: "If you are watching this holo video, it means that I will be dead.

The person you are looking at, is you after a few years.

In January of 3027 I have been transferred to high towers.
High towers is a maximum security prison, located on an inhospitable and extremely cold planet.

I will be executed within 3 days, if you do nothing to avoid it.
Ah! Sorry friend, I forgot to mention something, and it's something you will not like; If I die here, you will die too.
Good luck."

3com

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 03:03
Very cool 3com .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 15:44
Nice!!!
Working in a puddle, that's what I've so far...

3com

PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 15:58
@ T-bone
Hey mate, youtube is giving me some error when try to post my comment, so I do here.

Glad you like it.
Yes, I did 1 piece firts just for testing, now than I know it working fine, I'm going to do a best river model.
I've posted some other vid, than maybe you'll like, in the same thread. Hope you like it.

3com

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 17:14
I have tried up to 16 x 16 in classic giving me 256 frames of animation for such objects. That was on a 4096 x 4096 _i texture.
Each frame was 512 x 512 pixels which gave a nice resolution.

In my opinion one could use even more for less detailed needs. Still plenty of room on a 4k texture sheet.

32 x 32 is 128 x128 pixel frame on a 4k sheet which is 1024 frames total. Which is 34 seconds of animation at 30 frames per second.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Peri
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Bored of the Rings, why the guide videos gone?
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2021 20:00
videos now available again if anyone wants to delve into video textures workaround for GG Classic.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "videos now available again if anyone wants to delve into video textures workaround for GG Classic."

links?
PC 1 Specs:
AMD RYZEN 3800x OPTA CORE @3,90, 64GB RAM DDR4 @3200,
M/B GIGABYTE AX370, SVGA ATI XFX RX580 GTS XXX EDITION 8GB GDDR5 , 1X SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X SSD SAMGUNG EVO QVO 870 1TB SATA3 ,1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA RADEON R9 380 4GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2021 22:41
no links needed, they're in this thread, try looking from the top
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:42:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:42:45