Product Chat / FPSC Still Going Strong In 2017

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 21:30 Edited at: 8th Jan 2017 21:33
Some of you in GG land will have migrated across from FPS Creator when the Reloaded kickstarter was announced a few years ago.

After Reloaded became GameGuru and positioned as a more generic solution for game creation, myself and S4real got together and been working on Black Ice Mod for around 18 months now as we believe there is still room for FPSC to remain a useful product for people.

FPSC and Black Ice Mod are both completely free so anyone can install both and start making games with a rich feature set and respectable graphics very quickly. In order to celebrate the release of Black Ice Mod v10, we've put together a showcase which demonstrates how you can really get a lot of mileage out of the features available with larger levels, faster performance, high quality lighting, AI, shaders and post processing effects.

YouTube Video (HD)

In Game Screenshots

You can visit our website http://www.blackicemod.org for more information and downloads etc.

ModDB link here where we are also hosting the mod :
http://www.moddb.com/games/black-ice-mod

Official FPSC forum thread is here:
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/214817?page=1

Hope you will give the mod a try as we endeavour to keep FPSC alive and Happy New Year to everyone.
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 21:39
WOW superb.
AMD Phenom x4 9850 2.58 Ghz , 6 gb ram, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 750, Win 10 x64

PM
Cylo
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Already got it.
A few months ago I installed FPSC (my own license, not the free one) and BI Mod.

Too bad it was terminated, it had potential for much more to do.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 22:08
Still look on there forums,black ice is cool.i have both on my comp.the only thing I had against FPSC was the level editor,I just couldn't get on with it.

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
vrg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 22:19 Edited at: 8th Jan 2017 22:19
Great, I still have FPSC and Black Ice Mod installed on my computer. For a year ago I created a level with FPSC.
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 22:45
The demo looks great.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Amazing !!
Now if GG is nearer that in 2017 I will be very happy
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 06:50
Downloaded black ice mod couple of days ago, it's incredible what you guys have done with fpsc, will play around more when I get back home
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 07:04
I installed it last week, the mod is very impressive well done
xCept
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 09:15 Edited at: 9th Jan 2017 09:17
This looks great and seems to have a lot of features that GameGuru is still lacking (both visually and gameplay). Great job!

I really wish that TGC would not had fully divided the community by forcing users to come here as a completely separate community when they renamed Reloaded (complete with its own Off Topic board etc). Back then I would always browse each board on the TGC forums as it was nice to have everything under one roof. Since the carryover I have not really been to the FPSC boards there and also don't venture much on here either outside of this one board (a lot of the boards here do not have many posts anyway).
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, AMD Phenom X6 1100T 3.60 GHz CPU (Passmark: 5934), NVIDIA Geforce GTX-680 2GB GPU (Passmark: 5712), G.SKILL 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice voice acting there.

FPSC never looked so good. God only knows (and maybe Mr Bamber) if GameGuru will ever reach this level let alone surpass it. Seems to be stagnating.
Julian
PM
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 12:19 Edited at: 9th Jan 2017 12:38
well puts gg in the shade,
testing beta 10, wow
PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 13:18 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:37
What I see in this video that GG doesn't have.

* Not so potato AI
* Climbable ladders
* Steady frame rate.
* Great lighting with balanced shaders
* Swimming
* AI that can walk on more than just ground level

And that's why I keep saying GG needs to be opened up to the community... seriously.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 14:39
Quote: "Too bad it was terminated, it had potential for much more to do."

FPSC was a fun ride but eventually collapsed. I doubt this changed now.
I like this showcase but I had a ton of reasons to migrate to GG back in the day.

1: FPSC games tend to be crippled by its memory cap
2: 50% of my larger games never loaded past level 3 rendering over 5 levels and plenty of hours of hard work to be futile
3: Games tend to crash when loading a saved game
4: Games don't work on more than half of the end consumers rigs.

Quote: "* Not so potato AI"

Doubt it. I used this trick in many of my games. Its mostly just the placing. GG AI can chase you and reacts to collision. FPSC AI can, to my knowledge, only do that in a very limited sense. Its basically just able to strafe or stand still and fire unless you mess around with waypoints.

Quote: "* Climbable ladders
* Steady frame rate."

Yes!

Quote: "* Great lighting with balanced shaders
* Swimming"

Somewhat in agreement

Quote: "* AI that can walk on more than just ground level"

Absolutely!

-Wolf
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 16:13 Edited at: 9th Jan 2017 16:14
Quote: "Doubt it. I used this trick in many of my games. Its mostly just the placing. GG AI can chase you and reacts to collision. FPSC AI can, to my knowledge, only do that in a very limited sense. Its basically just able to strafe or stand still and fire unless you mess around with waypoints.
"

FPSC Singleplayer AI(Not this Dark AI crap) was a lot more open than GG AI. If you place a command in the script, the AI did it. So you can customize it. This standart GG AI is a lot more intelligent than the standart FPSC AI, but for what a price(hardcoded hell). If you did 500 lines of code in FPSC, you had a much better AI, but nobody ever did it. ( also we should not forget the cap at 350 lines, so it is impossible ) In GG you must know 500 lines of code to optimize and then to improve it. This is a lot of work and I don´t think that anybody will ever do it unpaid.

Quote: "GG AI can chase you and reacts to collision."

True, but this is animal behavior and not human!
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
dedser
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 22:25

I can not enter the links of the mod, I want to try it

Help me
PM
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 22:43
@Wolf they fix the memory cap problem by adding the same thing game guru have now. which is the 4gb cap. the new version of blackice works almost flawless and works better on my 64bit rig. one of the main reasons I want to step back into fpsc world right now is it has dual wielding which I never got to use in blue mod.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 23:06 Edited at: 9th Jan 2017 23:07
Quote: "I really wish that TGC would not had fully divided the community by forcing users to come here as a completely separate community when they renamed Reloaded (complete with its own Off Topic board etc)."

I hear ya. I think we actually lost out on a lot of members due to this. Seen some people caught in a limbo and just disappear over time. I also barely ever go to the FPSC forums ever since. When everything was together it was easier to support things like the AGK crowd and others as well. But it is what it is.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 15:33 Edited at: 10th Jan 2017 15:36
Quote: "This standart GG AI is a lot more intelligent than the standart FPSC AI, but for what a price(hardcoded hell). If you did 500 lines of code in FPSC, you had a much better AI, but nobody ever did it. ( also we should not forget the cap at 350 lines, so it is impossible ) In GG you must know 500 lines of code to optimize and then to improve it. This is a lot of work and I don´t think that anybody will ever do it unpaid.
"

Agreed, the basic AI in GG is actually meant to be fairly smart it just doesn't work as intended and has huge delay between jobs for no clear reason (not part of the scripts but an issue with the core system) which makes them appear much worse than they really are.
I would personally be happy to try improve the AI logic (and have tried) for free but until the pauses are fixed its pointless as they will always appear dumb when they simply stand still for 5mins while they try to find a path even though the map is empty (exaggerated maybe but its not far from true).

I'm still hoping the AI update will actually give us a base to work with but we'll see.

As for fpsc, never used it so can't comment on usability but I still think GG can produce a better quality game (graphically) then it does by default with a bit of effort and fpsc games always look a bit dated with their obviously square styles by standard too... Though the mod above looks much better than a lot of the stuff ive seen before from fpsc im sure it still takes effort to make it look so... Any engine you use takes effort to create a decent game.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 18:19 Edited at: 10th Jan 2017 18:31
I actually had a pretty good time scripting in FPI with FPSC. Was able to achieve every and any result I needed. The later versions really opened up more doors. Ability to move the camera or player anywhere you wanted. Easily assign factions / teams with the DarkAI commands. There was a lot in there and it didnt take many lines of code to achieved. Though of course these lines of code were hardcoded elements creating the tasks... but together it all worked very well. The community however voted ahead to get rid of the FPI system for FPSC Reloaded and everyone was more in favor of LUA. Not myself particularly since raw coding wasnt my specialty and I found FPI in the later versions to work very well.

In the attachment is a list of the commands (not all but most).
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 03:05
All

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. We've been working on this mod for a while and its great to see people are using it or at least giving it a try. Its also had a lot of support from the community and contributions which helped us make progress quickly.

I agree its not helped retain the FPSC user base with GG moving to another site and Steam but I can understand why TGC went down that road. We are just trying to keep the original software going and hoping this will be useful for people looking forward to Reloaded.

We've patched the mod executables so its possible to go beyond the usual memory cap and the new lightmapper means you can bake much larger levels at high quality without crashing. I tried building the showcase level with the official FPSC and it wasn't possible.

In terms of the AI, we actually tried to make this more simple in terms of scripting. I'm sure people can do a much better job like Errant AI did with T341 pack but I went for something lightweight, reliable, agressive and allow for multiple enemies without impacting performance too much.

Black Ice Mod Bot AI Test

Here is an alternative download link for anyone having trouble getting Black Ice Mod from the website:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/x8zbyp830g45oz4
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
thats very impressive ai video,
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 07:33
good video, I'd forgotten how it looked when AI could actually go up stairs ha......
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice vids, very good work, looks very nice and seems to run nice and smooth. Nice mods

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2017 19:18
Looks cool,would be nice if you could load in your own prebuilt levels to.

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 12th Jan 2017 15:01 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:38
Quote: " Looks cool,would be nice if you could load in your own prebuilt levels to."

Do you mean levels that are built outside of FPSC? You mean you would create levels in a modelling program and then load them in?
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2017 15:09
Quote: "Do you mean levels that are built outside of FPSC? You mean you would create levels in a modelling program and then load them in"

Yes that's what I would like to do,that's the reason I stoped using it in the first place.

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2017 17:58
Yeah it would be nice to import complete levels from other applications and I started working on a pipeline for this using 3D World Studio (3DWS) but it became too problematic. The only reliable way is to model the level without floors and use standard FPSC segments and stairs between floors.

Even if you have the patience to get all of that lined up in the editor it can still be quite painful to place dynamic entities etc. It might be worth adding something like in GG where you can press the TAB key to slice through geometry for easier entity placement in buildings.

It was a nice benefit being able to pre-bake all of the lighting but with our new lightmapper its not something we have to worry about so much. I think Rolfy did the best job of importing large scenes in FPSC by slicing everything up but I never quite got around to learning / using his techniques for this.
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 00:25
Thank you S4Real and Nomad. I am glad you posted here because I hadn't been back to the FPSC forums to even browse. I knew about Black Ice but I didn't exactly know how well it has turned out. I've been in and out of the hospital since last October and I really am feeling like getting back into game development; but definitely not into Mod Development. My brain's fried as far as that goes.

I was thinking of going ahead with GG since I lost my source code for my latest version of RPG Mod. However. I am now anxious to try out Black Ice. Just downloaded everything I need and will shortly install. I was not looking forward to learning LUA and even the new ways of GG as my age and health are not conducive to new learning. If you still use FPI scripts then at least I will be able to use my FPI EditPad.
When in doubt -- C4 :heh, heh, heh:

-Jamie Hyneman
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 00:44
Nice to see you back again Flatlander.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 01:08
Welcome back Flatlander! Glad to see ya!

Feel free to send me a PM or hit me up in skype if you need any help with GG
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 01:08 Edited at: 17th Feb 2017 04:19
Long time no see Flatlander* (sorry about the original typo ) , good to see you back.

Quote: " If you still use FPI scripts then at least I will be able to use my FPI EditPad. "

The community vote favored the LUA programming language and that is now the standard scripting used with Game Guru.

Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 03:48
Pirate Myke - Thanks mate. You were of a great help to me during the last of the FPSC days with creating an RPG Mod list of commands--before TGC quit supporting FPSC.

Wolf - Wow and thanks. I will take you up on that offer. You had some of the greatest quality levels in FPSC and a lot of your models were out of this world in quality for FPSC. Oh, I like your glasses.

Teabone. Thanks. I definitely felt like "Flatliner" during my first hospital stay in October. I felt like a ". . . corpse waiting to die." This was a line that Poirot said in an Agatha Christie movie I recently watched. David Suchet playing Hercule Poirot. He rarely gets ill but when he does he is always on death's bed. Teabone you are rightly called a valued member with all the FPSC character conversions you have been doing; and for free.

When in doubt -- C4 :heh, heh, heh:

-Jamie Hyneman
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 08:24 Edited at: 17th Feb 2017 08:27
Quote: "This was a line that Poirot said in an Agatha Christie movie I recently watched. David Suchet playing Hercule Poirot"

David Suchet was the definitive Poirot in my opinion, the only other actor that came even close to the amazing performances he gave as the Belgian private detective was Peter Ustinov, and even then i felt he was a little to serious (almost Shakespearean) for the role, out of the rest none did the role any justice, with the worst of the lot being Albert Finney who played Poirot in one of the most famous films adapted form Agatha Christies great work; Murder on the Orient Express.

(note: big Poirot fan )

It's the same with Sherlock Holmes for me, out of the almost 40 people who played him, in my eyes there are only two that played the part well enough to "BE" Sherlock Holmes, Peter Cushing, and Jeremy Brett.

(note: also a big Holmes fan )

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@Nomad - Great work, I do try to follow what you guys are up to, and I've been playing around with the mod, it's very good.

@Flatlander - good to see you still around.

SC
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 10:14
Sherlock Holmes, love it Basil Rathbone one of the best. Poirot with Peter Ustinov was great, David Suchet also good. Not keen on the new Sherlock holmes but that's just me.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 17th Feb 2017 10:46 Edited at: 17th Feb 2017 10:49
Quote: ", love it Basil Rathbone one of the best"

Ooh,i totally forgot about Basil Rathbone, make that three then LOL

One thing that brings those three (Basil, Jeremy, and Peter) together in the role, is they all have a similar facial structure, so you could probably have all three playing the role in one film, and it wouldn't look too out of place.

I still prefer the books though.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 16:22:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 16:22:31