Work In Progress / [SOLVED] Silent Hill: Game Guru Style

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 16:17
So for Christmas, my son and I worked on a sprawling reproduction of various vistas in Silent Hill, only it's in Game-Guru. Our goal was to provide a decent gaming experience for her favorite town in gaming - with some story and gameplay (as much as I could cram in on a tight deadline) with an aforementioned short deadline.

Features:
Various pieces of Silent Hill Memoriabilia
A story basically relating to my wife's life
Classic-Freak/Viral outbreak monsters
Locales familiar to Silent Hill Players
(Midwich Elementary, The Diner, The Historical Society, The Lakeside Amusement Park, Alchemilla Hospital, etc).
Several simple puzzles
A bevy of relatively unrelated enemies
And a fog/dark transition effect with siren for various areas

Wife's review:
"So my husband and my son made me a Silent Hill game for a Christmas gift this year. I've been kind of annoyed that series seems to have been killed off by that Silent Hills fiasco. I was not expecting much, but I'm thoroughly impressed by how in depth this game was! There were lots of things that cracked me up too (like the sign on the hospital below). He even made a model for attack Robbies with toy guns..lmao. I was like.."Make more! This is too awesome!!" I'm pretty sure I got the best Christmas gift..lmao <3 Love my family "

It gave her about 3-4 hours of total play time, served as an exercise in making a game in Game-Guru in a tight deadline (we had about 50-60 hours of total work time available leading up to Christmas).

She however, demands more So I am putting this here, instead of in showcase, as it will remain a WIP until we can call it complete.

Pieces missing:
A) Lightmapping breaks every... time
B) AI is still buggy as all get out
C) Story pieces need added/prompts, popups, messages, etc.
D) A better final level config.
E) A more chopped up 'main' level - load times are too long!
F) Custom Title/Menu screens. (I noticed the built in save function is massively busted, will probably put in a bug report on it)

Picture dump:

More work will be forthcoming as time permits

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 16:49
I'm a big SH fan, the first one was the first game I ever completed on PS1, the 3rd was my fav
Its looking good, I'd imagine the bad dimension is going to be a lot of work, something I had planned with a 2D engine required two types of worlds and the bad one was going to be very testing lol

I hope it goes well
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 17:16
Quote: "I'm a big SH fan, the first one was the first game I ever completed on PS1"

Ah the memories, I remember when silent hill came out on PS1, I bought it on release and had to wait all day to play it, when I finally did play it I decided to play it in the dark, and it scared the bejeesus out of me on more than one occasion, I especially remember the school locker shocker, you knew if you opened it something would jump out, the danged thing was banging about like someone was inside trying to get out, but you still jumped when it happened, good times

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 17:25
Well as it stands, I haven't even implemented a 'bad realm' area because it was just too time consuming. Though I'll probably use my gore and metal terrain and just shop it up with some well... gore and metal. Overall it's very playable 30fps though the load times and bad AI are killers ATM. As it is it's 99% alpha-quality ATM, playable with minor bugs. I just would want a lot more before I released it as a thing for the general population to play around with.
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 23:24
I LOOOOVE Silent Hill. Keeping an eye on this.
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.Intel core i5-2300cpu @2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
RAM 16 gb G-Skill G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory

AMD Radeon HD 6670. ASUS Radeon HD 6670 DirectX 11 EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card. 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5
Memory Size
1GB
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks cool. Needs to be black ash falling instead of snow.
"So let it be written; so let it be done." Account got messed up with introduction to steam. I am Jackal
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 06:26
Well, I went with a more old-school silent hill style (SH1/2) style with the white ash.
But glad you like it.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 09:06
This is looking nice and what a great idea for a unique jointly created present.

Cheers.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I am one of the (it seems) few people who didn't like Silent Hill. It really just seemed like a find the noise game (the radio and demons). I hated the fog in it (used originally because the PS1 couldn't handle a decent draw distance. GG can be similarly awkward :/ ) The cut-scenes were impressive for the time (many PS1 games had what seemed near Movie CGI quality at the time, certainly better than other machines of the day, but always making the actual games themselves look somewhat dull), but I really didn't take a liking to it and as a consequence didn't really get very far. I seem to remember looking for a school and quit not too long after finding it. I thought it was a really inferior Resident Evil clone with shoddy graphics. Not to mention it ran pretty badly as well. Even back then, a game had to be smooth, if it wasn't it was confined to the bin. Tomb Raider for instance, was smooth as butter and way more impressive than Silent Hill. So no fond memories here for the original. I consider it beyond overrated.

This however, looks nicely put together and very nice. It (hopefully) runs better than the original as well I can't remember any pink bunnies in Silent Hill either, but as said I didn't get very far. There were plenty of annoying flying demons around though, which Rolfy's demon would probably look similar to (you have probably already used it). Nice little demo here and I wish you luck with it. I'm sure there will be many SH fans who will be trying this out if and when you release it!

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 15:31 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2017 16:05
Wheres pyramid head? Its not SH without him. I love that character.

"So let it be written; so let it be done." Account got messed up with introduction to steam. I am Jackal
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 16:21 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2017 16:38
Its Robbie the Rabbit in SH
I prefered the 3rd game which kind of follows the last film
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 16:25
I'm still a modelling newb. So I'm working on PH but I know so little about importing models/animations it's going to be a while.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 21:04
this looks nice, and I imagine it running at a fast frame rate with so much fog. Really a good use of the engine's strengths.
Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 21:10
It's a stable 30 fps, though a lot of that is because my overuse of models and lack of optimization (due to short timeframe). I did however cut down terrain draw distance significantly with the fog and that helped bump FPS 10 or so back when I was tuning this.
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 16:15
Big Silent hill fan here looking forward to this. If your interested I did a texture for Robbie you can get here.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 18:57
perhaps dust particle effects take some kind of toll. Is it multiple levels?
Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 19:40
Your robbie beats the pants off my hack job lol!
Nicely done.

The problem isn't so much the dust particles (using the algolstep's snow decal) but rather the lack of tuning for occlusion and what not.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 21:13 Edited at: 5th Jan 2017 21:16
This is pretty awesome. You know if you use 3rd person and play around with the camera controls you could probably achieve the same look as the original game.

Big fan of the series. Got to actually watch the premiere (in Toronto) of the first film for it to, along some of the actors. I've had a tucked away old running script inspired by the story and its theme ive always wanted to bring to life in a video game. Though Game Guru currently isn't at that point I feel.

We need a particle system and the AI improvements till then.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 03:49
Original plans were actually 3rd person, was working with smallg and Lee to try and get melee working but to no avail thus far.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2017 11:21
Oh true I completely forgot about how limiting the 3rd person still is. I love the Silent Hill games so will be for sure following your progress here.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2019 16:35
Thread unlocked.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2019 16:56
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Thanks @Wolf.

For those interested, this game was 'finished' years ago for my wife in DX9. I upgraded it recently to DX11, converted assets, changed a few bits and bobs, reorganized level structure and added a few text zones. It is, however, 98% similar to the original product.

You can download and playtest a copy here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17Fc4MBiDCy1hudjXmofuPm49YhhntAxg

A few notes:
- I don't like this game. It represents a very old, poor effort on my part and while it runs I don't have high regard for it.
- It has been somewhat optimized and tuned. As such, it does have 8 levels that run fairly well ~30FPS on my GTX960.
- Most of this game will have references you will not and likely should not get. This is because my it was made for my wife as a gift from me and my son to her. It has a lot of deeply personal references to her own life and struggles that you frankly don't need to know about
- There are lots of secrets in the nooks and crannies, especially in the 'overworld' areas.
- I could have done a lot more here but I don't have the time to sink to make this up to the par I'd consider acceptable at this point.
- Menus were thrown together in styleguru quickly because I hate default menus.
- The buggiest level is the school. AI works best in it if you don't shoot anything for about 10 seconds after starting the level. I never could trace down the 'why' on this level's issues.

Simple Walkthrough *SPOILERS AHEAD*:
Level 1 - Overworld part 1 - Start @ car. Head down street, pick up gun from dead cop. Grab ammo from nearby garage(s) on left. Head into blue ridge apartments, grab key & shotgun. Head to observatory. Open door, pick up ammo and key. Head BACK to apartment, open fence door with key. Go to end of alley, up stairs, open door at top, use plunger to blow up the large missile truck blocking the road. Head to the diner.
Level 2 - Diner - pick up the 'chef's special bat' and all ammo. Leave the diner. It's just a rest area, after all
Level 3 - Overworld part 2 - Grab shotgun outside of diner (trash piles), head down street. Secrets abound in this area. Check all broken buildings and what not. Go to graveyard, get key from empty grave, go to church, find the secret area, pick up a new weapon (uzi). Explore a bit, head through playground to pick up explosives from the sandbox (children love explosives). Loop around and head to the school.
Level 4 - The school - Check the storerooms and head through the school's long corridors past the gym/locker rooms. Find the room with the rubble, walk past it into the cafeteria. Walk through the cafeteria, across the hall and pick up the key. Head back to the gym, walk through the door in the back to the boiler room. Walk through the boiler room into the science lab, kill the clown, get the cake.
Level 5 - Overworld part 3 - Leave school, pick up cake, head west, then south, then east, pickup secret near fallen smoke stack (automatic rifle). Head through gate to Lakeside Amusement Park.
Level 6 - Lakeside (probably the hardest level) - Parking lot has some ammo and rats. Head into park. Kill Robbie - take his gun. Head through amusement park, picking up ammo, find the tents at the end, one has a key. Take the key, open the gate, head to the utility building, enter, take the key, open the door behind you, take THAT key, open the gate to the bridge. Endzone rush to the boat.
Level 7 - Alchemilla hospital. It's a fairly linear level. Go through second door, get key. Go through first door, get key. Head through third door, follow path left through bathroom/shower area. In the back is a key that sometimes glitches out. Check the walls to find it. Head back out, go straight (Where you went left, go right) and you should end up with a door that you can open with that key to get to an outdoor area. Take the key from the statue. Go back out, make a left, follow the hallway, find the secret behind the lockers, open the door, head towards the wheelchair.
Level 8 - The final level, wife's home in CT. - Find the ruined house, get the key and RPG (in the rubble, a secret), get ammo from a wooden shack, watch out for the exploding fence , go in the big white house, hang a left, go upstairs, grab the desk key and toilet key (toilet key is an SH reference), head downstairs, kill baddies, walk through door, head to crime scene, turn around, fight big bad, win game.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2019 20:30 Edited at: 29th May 2019 20:33
Downloading now, will run it after work.
But the link is not showing the download. I am on firefox browser.
RIP
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

New:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.81GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia gtx1050ti 4gb, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Screen resolution 1920 x 1080. System Passmark 3774

osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2019 00:41
looks very good, do u made the amusement park model self?
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2019 20:19 Edited at: 30th May 2019 20:20
The amusement park is from here:
https://www.tgcstore.net/pack/10815
I also used some old pieces I had that I forget where I got them from.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2019 21:01
People's wifes being fans of Silent Hill is a running theme in my life. Whats about these that women adore so much?

I gave your game a spin. Its pretty good for what it is, reminded me of these browser shooter games.

You took what you had and made something neat for your gal, thats just commendable It ran okay for me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:59:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:59:07