Work In Progress / Kshatriya: Origins

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 01:29 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2017 04:45
Developer: Bugsy

Story: This game is the origin tale of how Isaac Preston and Katsu Kleiner, the characters in wetwork, got to know eachother.

Description: I'm going to attempt something with ReShade. With new graphical effects, and more cinematic moments, I hope to bring my gameguru skills to an FPSC level, and produce some kshatriya prologue quality content, albeit with Gameguru's much more consistent shooting mechanics. expect gameplay somewhat similar to wetwork with a little more "wow" factor

a video with a character/animation for origins. I'll be trying to get my crowds system back up and working.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 14:37
I wish I could make my city maps look half as good as yours

Very impressive. Nice use of reshade too. The inconsistencies GG brings seem non-existent now.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 17:44
These shots are terrific level design wise!
Totally thrilled of the idea that you are going to rock us with a full blown project now!

However, you must have some strong sharpening or some other effect going on in your post processing because the images are extremely hard to read.
That takes away a lot from otherwise good looking shots. I have attached a somewhat extreme example to illustrate what I mean. (normal and too much sharp postprocessing).

-Wolf

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 17:58
I actually like the extreme sharpening one, i think that would look great as a game

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 19:02
From my attachments or from the wip screenshots?
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 20:07
The picture you uploaded.

Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 20:17 Edited at: 9th Jan 2017 08:30
there is a sharpening effect used via reshade. I like it, i think it's a welcome departure from the hazy flatness of GG's normal visuals as well as well as the haziness of what seems to be most shooters lately since MW2 (which was one of the flattest games I've seen). If I get tired of it, i'll do comparison shots with and without it to see what kind of frame sacrifice its giving me, and if it helps, or im just too familiar/contemptuous I'll nix it, but I like it, and don't think it's nearly as overpowering as in your second screenshot. (I also think perhaps the first screenshot could be a little sharper!)

EDIT: this is not my game, and honestly I like the looks of my game better
Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 23:34
Hey: I've run into my first little problem on this project, any help would be awesome:

so basically my deal is that I have animated a car that moves from point A to point B. it is parented to a dummy and simply dragged in a line on one axis.
I am using the script belidios gave me for a character that plays an animation and goes away. The script works perfectly for the animated character seen above, but when used for the car (with frame ranges changed) it simply does not animate the car.

can anyone explain why the car won't animate? it spawns in its starting pose no problem but it just sits there
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2017 14:55
Only way I can help on this is if you shoot me the file.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 05:52 Edited at: 9th Jan 2017 08:05
these pictures are VERY EARLY WIP: no cars on the ground yet, and still a large chunk of level is undetailed/un lit. I am also missing some background stuff still, but was excited with how these were looking and wanted to share them. this is part of level 3

EDIT: REDACTED- UPDATE COMING SOON

also getting really good frames here. it helps to turn off terrain and do all the ground yourself! thanks for that tip wolf, also thanks for the help on my car.
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 10:54 Edited at: 8th Jan 2017 10:57
Quote: "can anyone explain why the car won't animate? it spawns in its starting pose no problem but it just sits there"

Hi, what do you mean with it just sits there? Did you mean your car did not play the animation or it does not move? That is a difference
If it does not move, use the MoveForward(e,v) command.
If it is not destroyed at the end then he did not play the animation. Maybe your frames are wrong.
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 11:25 Edited at: 9th Jan 2017 08:06
Im not sure I understand how you phrased that. if there was a much simpler way of simply moving a car forward fast for a long time via script, i should have done that, but I kinda wanted to possibly have cars be able to pull up to you and stop, so the ability go get anim-scripting working could be nice.

anyways: got a little more done on the map tonight. any comments or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!

REDACTED
this is looking backwards but i think it looks nice.

REDACTED
first interior of the map. almost totally finshed save a few more background buildings. then I can begin the tedious process of AI and sounds

speaking of background buildings: one of the ways I create the "illusion" of a living breating city is by simply stacking a bunch of buildings in the editor, screenshotting it, photoshopping in a few signs/wires, and mapping it to a flat plane. it saves a LOT of polys (therefore FPS) and still (IMHO) looks nice.

thats an example. hoping players assume to go the direction they're pointed when they start, but if not, there's a view and invisible wall
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Jan 2017 22:31 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 10:47
Holy crud! That looks fantastic Bugsy.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 05:38
thanks! they're NOWHERE NEAR done!
I will most likely take them down and replace them with the more presentable complete ones once I have finished the geometry/lighting. I'm glad that by removing terrain, I can boost FPS into the 150s with reshade. that should mean when it's all said and done with cars and dynamics and sounds and AI and everything, it should still stay above 70 (fingers crossed) which would be a good goal. I didnt get many frame rate complaints on the last game and hope not to get any on this one.
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 08:27 Edited at: 9th Jan 2017 18:12
update: redacted some of those screenshots. I've about finished the scenery here and want to post updated versions. I'm sure you'll like these better, expect 5 more tomorrow when I actually do the lighting rebuild (I doubt those shadow-less bits curbs will go away though, as my efforts have been in vein thus far)

also, the FPS in the pics is quite annoying, as it seems to typically coast around a cool 110-125 but when I hit print screen dives for the 80-90 range.
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 15:19
I like where this is going!!

-Wolf
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 16:03
Homegrown seconds Wolfs opinion.
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 18:51 Edited at: 9th Jan 2017 20:12
The level design is impressive, it has a great atmosphear.

Correction : Atmosphere lol
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 19:23
thanks! I like the way you spelled "atmosphere"

here's the last few of level 3, some kinda like these were here earlier but ive removed them and these are the """"finished"""" (well see how long that lasts ) ones

cool thing i've decided to add:
I've decided that due to the short nature of my levels and extremely high movement speed of my games, that each level will have multiple ways to speedrun/shortcut parts of the map. in this map, the player can fight through the highway to the streets until they get to a safe house, all of which takes about 6 or 7 minutes depending on your "multiple active shooter" situation skills, OR if you're crafty, you'll find a series of 30 foot precision jumps that will lead you to the windowsill of the win-room in about 1 minute or less!!
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 06:47
HELP WANTED

if you like scripting, and are willing to to tradeout (or work very cheap) Id love your help on this project.
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2017 06:56 Edited at: 15th Jan 2017 21:59
smallG graciously offered to step in and fulfill this game's scripting needs! I've skyped him some stuff, and now to finish the other stuff for this game. most of the 3d I have left to do is for setpieces/animations. The rest I have the stuff I basically need. most of this stuff in other engines I hear isnt that much like work, but gameguru has the unique ability to go all picasso on 90% of models seemingly at random

above: "kill... me..."

but with a few exports from various softwares (all of which read the .x or .fbx perfectly) (aka. elbow grease/kung fu) the spider inside finally subsided and I got my nice innocent couple on the couch

above: "what?! it worked?"
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 00:40
Thanks to SmallG's Scripting efforts, this game is coming together quickly! Soon the ball will be in my court again to get the whole "elevator" deal working as im sure that will not be too easy, luckily another cool thing I had planned and he scripted seems to be almost totally ready in testing

but a nice small thing he did but will make for a much more responsive combat mechanic, making it clear whether or not your shots are effective even on targets at a distance, is a hitmarker script. I liked it in prologue and "challenges" and am glad to have it back in origins
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 13:35
I just no this is going to be good,great work so far Bugsy.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 14:20
Really cool!! Its all coming together nicely. Are you sticking with this crosshair tough?

-Wolf
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 20:36
that was the plan! different guns have different crosshairs, nades have no crosshair.

please hop on skype, I'd love to have my towers glimmer like they did in the FPSC days
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2017 01:07
here's some cool stuff from level 1/5:
detail shot of katsu's apartment featuring coke tray

and Gameguru's first accidental-feature (in my case)
I'm guessing this is due to a lightmapping fault as GG left a lot of the screen in lagging or glitched out pixels (until I rebooted) but It also decided to randomly generate cool ANIMATED neon flashing lights on this building. they kinda look like some modern art piece or billboards. this is only on one of the two identical buildings right next to one another so I'm honestly not gonna be too mad if it's a permanant glitch since it looks pretty cool

anyone seen something like this before?
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2017 11:50
I also want to throw my hat in the ring Bugsy, and if you need any help from my side on anything that is crippling your progress, my direct email is lee@thegamecreators.com and I will try to help where I can. This looks like a great game and what GameGuru needs are a few great games to hold up and show the world what is possible with dedication, grit and determination
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 16:24
leebamber wrote: "I also want to throw my hat in the ring Bugsy, and if you need any help from my side on anything that is crippling your progress, my direct email is lee@thegamecreators.com and I will try to help where I can."

now THAT's what I call "SUPPORT" I doubt you see the head programmer for UE4 or unity reaching out to help individual indies posting on their forums

that being said, I really appreciate that offer, and will keep that in mind going forward. I'm sure you'll be a load of help

if it isn't there already, a way to change the FPS rate that a gun/hud mesh plays at in the gunspec would be really sick. I did manage to get my very troublesome gun working, but couldve done it much quicker had there been a FPS command in the gunspec. as much as I love to blame that on gameguru a large part of me wants to believe that it's partially due to the fact that the weapon was modelled in inches and feet and then modified in a "units" file.
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 16:56
Anything i can do to help out, just give me a shout.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 04:01
thanks for the overwhelming support guys!!!!

I wish I had more level progress to show but ATM I do not. I just landed a full-time job with a good salary and benefits that promises to be at least somewhat in the arch-viz/design sector. I will have a lot less time to devote to this now, but hopefully with the money I make from a fulltime job, I can DUMP FUNDS INTO IT if needed meaning it will in the long run be even better

so fear not, this is coming together nicely. due to the highly scripted nature of the game it will likely be a good while, even after I've released screenshots of all the maps, since that stuff just takes time to test and make sure it's working.

if anyone wants to lend me their voice for this game, thats one thing I am specifically needing (among a few other nonspecifics); please add me on skype. my username is isaacpreston and my actual/display name is Wray Burgess

Anyways plans for the kshatriya series- the ORIGINS tale is a trilogy, wetwork being a sort of en medias res prologue. Kshatriya Prologue takes place a while after all of these games. the next two episodes will explore the specific origins of each character and their backstory.
Origins (this one)
Origins: Isaac Preston
Origins: Katsu Kleiner

I wasn't originally very precise with the storyline because I wanted to leave wiggle room, but this is essentially the tale of how Isaac and Katsu first met face to face.

Katsu is in debt to an anonymous online connect through which he gets his cocaine. The contact, cashing in on the debt, sends Katsu to another one of his clients to ascertain why he ordered the production of the large quantity of product, and then did not purchase it. Assuming he had been undercut, the money or corresponding amount of product would need, of course, to be collected. Once the product has been collected, Katsu encounters difficulties in the form of a large unknown force of armed assailants trying to recover the loot in an eerily desolate blocked off city block, as well as a Police Task Force on the roofs soon after. 5 challenging levels of gameplay!

(ok maybe 2 challenging ones, 3 if the level 2 puzzle proves to be a glitchy mess. Level 1 and 5 are basically the same but it's for story and time's sake)
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 00:56

kind of a bland pic, but I made some simple little favelas so if you peer over the edge of the highway you're not greeted to sky where the ground should be.

One way I get better frames is by removing the terrain, so it's all gotta be covered

A problem i've encountered is that using entity characters, the same system I used to squeeze so much custom animation and high frame rate out of Kshatriya Prologue, seems to slow the game down to 1/3 of its previous speed, even without the character existing in the map. I've emailed lee and asked him to look at this or advise as per his post on this thread, let's hope he gets back with me.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 12:58
I will always help wherever I can,looking good so far.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 16:39
I did not pay attention , but does GG uses GPU skinning animations ?
Anybody today has good GPU 3D cards, it would be a waste to not take advantage of GPU to get higher frame rates.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 21:03
You might find that you have slightly more time working on a project when working 'cause you need that "down time". At least that happened to me.

-Wolf
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 03:46 Edited at: 24th Jan 2017 03:47
mouaa wrote: "I did not pay attention , but does GG uses GPU skinning animations ?
Anybody today has good GPU 3D cards, it would be a waste to not take advantage of GPU to get higher frame rates."

IDK. I used no shader effect on my FPSC chars. in GG, I wonder if using entity basic, meant for static/unskinned stuff i assume, is killing my frames, but i doubt it since it's low before they even get triggered. In FPSC, spawning enemies with certain shaders caused a lot more slowdown.

wolf wrote: "You might find that you have slightly more time working on a project when working 'cause you need that "down time". At least that happened to me."

I sent lee something on my lunchbreak today. this is still a priority for me I just need some rent money.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 00:02 Edited at: 25th Jan 2017 05:41
KSHATRIYA PROLOGUE OFFICIALLY GREENLIT ON STEAM!

What that means for this game:
Depending on how well the Prologue does (downloads/reviews) I will decide whether or not this game will be a part of a separate episode on steam, or the same one.

What that means for WetWork:
Most likely wetwork will be added as a free expansion to Kshatriya Prologue on steam, this way I will offer more content with the prologue, and not offer an overly short experience. It may be included at release, maybe not.

I NEED A GURU (so to speak) to guide me through this process as well, as I'm sure getting my game "steam ready" will be a [no swearing] and a half.
Unspokenbond
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: GameGuru
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 05:29 Edited at: 25th Jan 2017 05:42
[no swearing please], wicked job!! Very happy to see the love and support you are getting! Its very deserved and this game is looking AAA man!
Still learning LUA but 'attempting' to build my first game
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 05:43
Congratulations! Its about time. (also please no swearing!)

-Wolf
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 07:43 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 10:50
Holy (no witty suggestions, to allude towards swearing, in brackets either, the great AUP has spoken! All shall bow!)!! Congrats Bugsy!
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 13:16
Congratulations
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 17:46 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 10:51
Quote: " Holy (no witty suggestions, to allude towards swearing, in brackets either, the great AUP has spoken! All shall bow!)!! Congrats Bugsy!"

Hahaha! Sorry.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 22:57
my guess is that all the censorship means people were surprised

I was too. thanks to ertlov for voting on all his steam accounts lol
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 08:12

нαvε үσυ α∂∂ε∂ εмιssιvε мαρs тσ тнεм вυιℓ∂ιηgs үεт ??

-Wolf
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 20:36
Congrats, this will be a good GG game on Steam.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2017 01:25
wolf wrote: "нαvε үσυ α∂∂ε∂ εмιssιvε мαρs тσ тнεм вυιℓ∂ιηgs үεт"

Absolutely not, although I appreciate it. we need to have a skype discussion about why _I maps that work in every other software fall flat in GG, and why it means I have to redo every single _I map in my collection, when a simple shader adjustment could likely fix this.

mouaa wrote: "Congrats, this will be a good GG game on Steam."

This will be the game on steam. I will have to replace the guns since the guns in WETWORK are ripped from FPSB and battlefield 3 but WETWORK could be a free addon for it, or possibly included in a future episode (more content=better chance of greenlight)

good news: my entity character problem MAY BE fixed by simply MAKING THEM CHARACTERS? the only place in which GG does a complete 180 from FPSC ???!?!?!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2017 17:59
Quote: "the only place in which GG does a complete 180 from FPSC ???!?!?!"

Probably not.

Quote: "why _I maps that work in every other software fall flat in GG"

If I knew I'd tell you in a heartbeat!

How is this coming along?

-Wolf
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2017 00:02
this is coming along pretty slow, but it has definitely not stopped. SmallG has been extremely responsive and good with getting scripts together, but with 9 hours a day sacrificed to make enough to pay the rent I have much less constant time to dump into this.

I kinda was also hoping for... more? from the easy building editor. It kinda disappoints me. I will probably only use it for floors, considering the 16 texture maximum. I use a LOT more than that. I was hoping it would just be like "draw box>select texture loop amount or draw box>boolean hole in wall" since I feel like much more could be accomplished with such a system. As it is, I'm much more pleased with the variance of texture and room shape/size with simple entity walls, I just have to make new ones a lot, and the amount of time I spend making entities for every single wall with my atlas texturing method could be remedied with a simple way to make and cut holes in geometry. This will slow me down going forward.

otherwise, it's still coming along well. Waiting on voice acting lines for levels 1 and 3 from you, but no hurry. I'm going to a concert this weekend.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2017 02:56
HELP WANTED: dedicated alpha testers!!!!!!
must have skype

alright enough complaint and then no updates, here's some progress and a question to generate community interest:

I'm thinking of changing the weapon loadout in the game. the player acquires a rifle in level 2 once he robs a house, and at first i was using the m4cqbr, no aiming or rightclick modes, then figured in asia where guns are highly illegal, it's unlikely for a mid-level drug dealer would have. I started getting other ideas to use one of my other guns. I changed this, and added an aim mode, but you switch to semi automatic for better headshots. one tester thinks it makes it too easy.

my idea was: M16/AR. The pickup im using matches (none for the m4cqb) and the fire rate is similar though a bit slower to contrast the g18, with damage and range slightly higher. it also has sicker reload animations. I may possibly add firemode switch or melee, but the aiming feature would go.

another possibility is the VSQ94, but that i'll send to testers.
tl;dr? here's a short video, plus an example of a cool script smallG did for me!

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2017 10:53

some map screens highlighting how i decorate, and hopefully this will illustrate the importance of background elements.

also: i need help with _I mapping. I can't get stuff to light up right, and wolf seems to knock it out of the park.

my building left, his right.
I've attached both our textures. anyone have advice? (mediafire)

Anubis
Years of Service
User Offline
Location: 010011100110010101110100011010000110010101110010011011000110
Posted: 4th Mar 2017 14:20
i only see two textures...
first is a wall, second some wood.. no _I in this zipfile.
-+- There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't -+-
-+-------------------[Chipset:X58 CPU:i7.950.64 GPU:R9 Fury RAM:12GB DDR3 WIN:7.x64 PRO]--------------------+-
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 02:52:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 02:52:18