Product Chat / I finished this shooter game... where the enemies don't shoot me =/

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2016 03:28 Edited at: 17th Dec 2016 03:29
Hey gang!

First off, I posted this in product chat because its not a bug. I'm sure its something I have simply overlooked (there are signs for that as you can see below)
or its something hardcoded and there is nothing I can do about it except for taking copious amounts of Bugsys Special Christmas Coffee.

All bad jokes aside: This is a shooter game ... and it works except for the most crucial part!
The project was a test that has restored a lot of faith into GG for me. It was a bumpy road, taking me way longer than I wanted it to but the result is a game that not only runs as dramatically broken as I expected after reading Nuncio's recent plight. It runs just fine... even on a dated laptop with an R7.

However, the enemies in my first person shooter game are not shooting at me. Or to be more precise, they only do so when I am in very close range to them. Infiltrating an enemy base is no fun if all the enemies are sworn pacifists.

I've spoken to Bugsy and Pirate Myke about this problem so far and while they had good ideas for solutions, none of them worked for me.
The thing is: Enemies with the same set up using stock guns work, while my custom guns do not. They work if I, the player, uses them. I can pick them up from the enemies, and the enemies can fire them at me from close range but otherwise they just awkwardly flock around me and try to get up close to me like a bunch of hunting dogs when teasing them with a dead chicken. While this can be amusing, especially if you imagine the Benny Hill theme playing in the background

I attempted to check and replicate every gunspec line from stock to my custom guns but no dice.
I think you all understand why its important to me to get my own, or in this case EAI's, guns working.

It is my hope that someone around here encountered and fixed the issue or has a hunch of what might cause this. I tend to try and fix things myself and later write about how I did it ....but this one I can't figure out!

Any help would be more than appreciated!

-Wolf

Attachments

Login to view attachments
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2016 05:47 Edited at: 17th Dec 2016 06:07
Just a guess but have you tried renaming each of the AI scripts, it was a problem in the old days when a single script was attached to all enemy characters causing them to stop working. On the other hand maybe it isn't so important that enemies carry the custom guns particularly if you want to kill 'em from a distance. If you need these as player pickups pretty sure you could find a way around that one.
Have you tried replacing vweap mesh and textures for stock weapons without touching HUD/gunspecs etc.
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2016 08:13
The only thing I can advice is having set the entities to alwas on, while having renamed the AI Scripts properly for each enemy.
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2016 09:44
...and maybe (unless you already have), rename each enemy so that the names are unique....
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 17th Dec 2016 09:45
To give you hope I've had stock enemies with custom weapons, custom characters with stock weapons and custom/custom all working ok.

Is this a stock character with custom weapon issue?

Happy to try/look on my set-up if you want another set of eyes on this. Haven't come across this before with stock NPCs. With custom I had an issue with firespot alignment once.

Cheers.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
If its stock script then move the firespot forward and make sure it's facing the right way... Sounds weird (but makes lots of sense) but enemies actually use their guns to "see" if they can fire so if its not correct then they can't fire.
Another thing to check is that the animations aren't making the gun go inside the character or point in the wrong direction.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
You've probably tried this, but have you set their range to a decent number? The default range can be a little low. Other than that, animated characters are my weakest area in GG, I can never get animated models like that into Blender to actually look at the solutions above. The way I would have to get around this, is to give them normal weapons, then drop the new ones when they are shot. Not ideal, but most players would barely notice I imagine.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2016 05:57
Hey everyone!

Thanks for giving me so many angles and solutions in so little time.

@rolfy and ertlov: Renaming the AI scripts didn't do it for me. Its not like the chars are just standing there, they are reacting, just not shooting. So they are using their AI to some extend Actually, I was quite impressed with how they navigated that indoor map and chased me.

Quote: "On the other hand maybe it isn't so important that enemies carry the custom guns particularly if you want to kill 'em from a distance. If you need these as player pickups pretty sure you could find a way around that one.
Have you tried replacing vweap mesh and textures for stock weapons without touching HUD/gunspecs etc."

Thank you! Bugsy has given me similar solutions if I can't figure this out but... these are more like a last resort to me. Not being able to pick up guns and ammo from enemies seems like FPS blasphemy to me and having to resort to a complicated loot script seems just... so unelegant.

@Bored of the Rings: I have not tried that yet, however, they already act the same way if I place a single one on a flat map. I'll give it a try anyway.

@cybernescence:
Quote: "To give you hope I've had stock enemies with custom weapons, custom characters with stock weapons and custom/custom all working ok.

Is this a stock character with custom weapon issue?"

That does give me hope . Yes, this is a stock char and a custom weapon issue.

Quote: "Happy to try/look on my set-up if you want another set of eyes on this."

I have sent you a char and his weapon via PM. Thanks a lot! If it'd be an easy fix like realigning the firespot, that would just be perfect

@smallG: I've checked the guns/vweaps and they all have well placed firespots to my eyes. I hope its an easy fix like this.
I have sent you one of them to your PM box. If you want to, please check it out. Maybe there is something I have overlooked.

@DVader: Not a fan of Blender so I don't know too many way around it, but have you considered getting fragmotion or UU3D to convert things around? That works well for me.
And yes, I tried all kinds of range numbers too. No dice. The thing is, they do see me at an appropriate distance and react...then they run up to me...then they flock around me awkwardly

If I haven't made it clear before: Really grateful for all your help!!

-Wolf
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2016 10:59
Wolf - looking good, think it's fixed, just doing a few more tests - will PM you back a link. Be later today.

Cheers.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2016 11:32 Edited at: 18th Dec 2016 11:34
This is a strange one, especially if Wolf himself is stumped. Sorry I can't help. Hope you get it fixed.

I'm guessing you did an install verification...?
Julian
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2016 11:45
Are you sure those chars have the apropriate licence to use those guns? LOL
Sorry mate just kidding, all the ideas I can have, were already stated above.
Hope you sort out your issue soon.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2016 17:04 Edited at: 18th Dec 2016 17:06
Hey Wolf - I've PM'ed you a download link for a revised VWEAP. Think it's OK now - the issue was the firespot bone not at same angle as gun axis.

Cheers.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 11:36
Thank you so much Cyber!! I have replied to your PM

Also thanks to everyone else for their suggestions!

-Wolf
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 16:56
I'm not sure if this is resolved yet with the firespot thing but it sounds like the gun's inside the entity, or at least the entity thinks it is
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 04:32
I haven't really poked around enough with the characters. Almost forgot completely about the "firespot" bone. By the way what does it have to be called? Is it "firespot", "FIRESPOT" or "fire_spot"?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 05:07
Quote: "I haven't really poked around enough with the characters. Almost forgot completely about the "firespot" bone. By the way what does it have to be called? Is it "firespot", "FIRESPOT" or "fire_spot"

The original is named FIRESPOT ,this works for me.

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Sulman
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: OUT DOOR GAMES
Posted: 20th Dec 2016 19:14
Hey guyz, I got same problem in my game. They successfully chase me but with a close distance they never shoot. for example there are 15 enemies and 5 enemies are set to always active... Rest of them are set to default.... I deleted all enemies and re place them again but still they are not working. But when i open new scene and do experiment it works fine... But in my game it is not working? Kindly share some solution regarding this matter. Is there any way i select my whole environment(all sound zone, cover zone, win zone) and copy and paste into new scene?
How is it Mario can smash through bricks... But he dies when he touches a turtle?
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
So the custom gun was causing this?
Julian
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-03 06:18:51
Your offset time is: 2024-07-03 06:18:51