Product Chat / [LOCKED] 1.33 - a question of procedure.

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 16:15
So as I've said here and there I have a background in software development. While currently that's rather limited, my formative "IT/IS" years were in professional software development, programming, design, etc.

In seeing the delays in 1.33 - my main point is one of procedure. This particular item is - 1.33 encompasses a *LOT* of fairly major changes.

As such, this should be considered 1.40; not 1.33. 1.33 should be for minor bugfixes, small changes, micro updates. Whatever. Slight additions. This I think represents more than just a simple numbering complaint. But rather an issue with the way Lee (I hope he sees this) is organizing his work and conversely how it affects the expectations of the community. For instance, one of the big selling points of GG is the lifetime updates. While I think this was effectively a massive marketing mistake, it's in there and it's part of GG's lifecycle. So realistically if you're organizing your time as a developer you should be breaking down the product into multiple phases:
1) Major versions - Huge changes, core updates, complete rewrites, etc. Game guru 1, Game Guru 2, etc.
2) Primary releases - big projects being done every 3-6 months for major releases. Usually designated as a X.Y (i.e 1.4)
3) Point releases - bugfixes, minor changes and additions, cleanups and optimizations - regularly done. Usually designated as X.YY (i.e. 1.41)
4) Hotfixes - Obviously there's the occasional major issue that needs to be dealt with. This gets usually an alphanumeric addition to the patch code (i.e. 1.41b).

Progress should be pipelined with some patches being bundled into Major/Primary versions, but 'safe' fixes being released via regular point releases and hotfixes. This isn't even something I consider needing done by major companies, but rather even very small developers.

The reason this is important is because software can quickly balloon out of hand. There's a lot to manage, hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands of functions and features which if there's no organized method of deployment, can cause considerable confusion on when it's released. People start saying things like "why is X added when Y isn't even done yet?!" (sound familiar?

Anyways.. I'm not trying to beat anyone over the head here. I honestly think that all things considered, Lee does well enough as a one man army. I'm just hoping he sees this and maybe takes my recommendation at better processing and organization of his project(s) to better facilitate his and his team's time.
daverave29
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
I Kinda Get The Impression it started small and has simply grown to what it is. Not saying that's a bad thing however. I am guessing 1.4 has been reserved for the EBE update.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 17:20
To be honest, i really don't care how he numbers them, he could number them sideways, backwards, or with smiley faces for all i care, as long as we get updates.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 17:27 Edited at: 30th Nov 2016 17:28
version numbering???? ummmmmmm, well yes it's very important, but to be honest this is down to TGC, how they version control the software is their business. I couldn't care less how Lee numbers GameGuru as long as it's going upwards and not downwards ha
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
UNIRD12B
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 17:58 Edited at: 30th Nov 2016 18:06
OK,,,
I WANT sideways numbered updates along with
eemogees and if it's at all possible I'd really like to see
FRIES with that at no extra charge !

With all the crap we have been thru with this over the last 3 years and
all the hope and all the uphill battles that have been fought to make progress
and keep this project going its nice to see that someone kept their sense of humor
intact and went ahead and started this new forum thread....woohoo..keep at it !!!

WAIT !!!!...............He WAS...serious you say ?.................hmmmmmmmm

Onward and upwards

P.S. I'm just teasing....in fun....
Let\'s actually make something happen with this one !
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
1.33 is technically a bug fix update so it shouldn't really have its own update.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 18:56
it's less about the numbering and more about the procedure that got to the number.
Try to read through to that if possible.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 20:14 Edited at: 30th Nov 2016 20:17
Last version was V1.132 and the next update is V1.133 ... No confusion here ..
At the end of the day its only last version that's officially available via steam ..... so it really doesn't matter except maybe to a pirate who is trying to find the right version ...

In which case the more confusing to him the better
Apart from that the Changelog contains all the version history to date ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 20:34
@bolt - yes yes yes I have dealt with procedural versioning for years, but the end of day , who cares?
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 20:50 Edited at: 30th Nov 2016 20:51
Only when all the promised new features for V1.14 such as the EBE are completed will that version number be released. It would be suicidal to do it any other way around here
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 21:00 Edited at: 30th Nov 2016 22:21
T_T

Well, clearly [MOD EDIT ] in the wind with my mouth open here. Please do not use profanity even abbreviated

No one understands anything beyond numbers being incremental, so give me a ring when you guys get past that, k?

You wonder why this stuff gets bound up in pipeline, complain like crazy on the forums - but don't understand that if you want to get this stuff done properly you have to have a method and process for it that works beyond 'what do I feel like working on today' weathervane-based programming. I mean I only spent 15 years on it, what do I know. Seriously? You don't put together a project of incredible scope/size and not have any idea of what direction you're going. It's PRECISELY why we are where we are. This latest 'point release' is nothing more than a symptom of an overarching problem of bad planning caused by lack of direction/focus.

My *ENTIRE* complaint here is not so much the versioning as it is the process that leads to the versioning. But all you guys are hearing is someone complaining about little numbers. Seriously? I've always said the best asset of GG is the community but you guys really found a solid way to put a dent in that. Kudos.

Synch - close the thread. This is a waste of time and clearly I'm falling on deaf (and incredibly snarky) ears.
UNIRD12B
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 21:04 Edited at: 30th Nov 2016 21:09
your right...who cares....

not i said the fly, not me said the flea.

its all about results and progress...lee can call it whatever he likes ,as he like
how he likes ,where he likes ,when he like....and I'll LIKE !

Bolt Action Gaming...we still appreciate all you help put into this engine so ignore our playing with you
and the gentle teasing......and keep helping us to build a better game engine as time goes on.

UNIRD12B
Let\'s actually make something happen with this one !
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 21:50 Edited at: 30th Nov 2016 22:17
Personally I wasn't being snarky and just explaining why in the case of V1.14 it is best not to go to that full release just yet. You are of course absolutely correct in what you are saying from a project point of view but to most users they simply don't care about that and only care about results, your anger might have been better vented in a direct e-mail to the developer who is responsible for your angst as no one around here carries any responsibility for it.

Some of the responses to your post may seem at first to be facetious and even condescending and I agree that some of it is unnecessary needling with jumping on the bandwagon to join in, but I reckon you are expecting a little too much from folks who really don't give a toss about version numbers, far as TGC go, you may be preaching to the converted as they should already have a good handle on project management but they have always tended to be a little slack with it and sometimes you have to be flexible too. I wouldn't take it all too personally and actually a little surprised to see you get heated here as I reckon your a pretty intelligent and smart guy. It isn't as bad as your making it out to be and in your first post:
Quote: "Anyways.. I'm not trying to beat anyone over the head here. I honestly think that all things considered, Lee does well enough as a one man army. I'm just hoping he sees this and maybe takes my recommendation at better processing and organization of his project(s) to better facilitate his and his team's time. "

It is also highly unlikely you will see a properly structured road map with a community voting board in place. It may also be that any kind of structure TGC could have in place for development progress is torn apart by both the vote and the 'common sense' of those who shout the loudest. So what you are asking for in simple terms is that TGC take up the reins for the project and cut out the community entirely as this is the only way it could be done as you see it. Many actually agree with this, myself included, but this has been thrashed out several times around here and doesn't look like changing any time soon. All you have done here is find a different way of putting something which has been discussed over and over several times.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Locked at OP request
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:30:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:30:07