Product Chat / Questions about EBE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
To all the lucky devils that got a chance to play with the beta build of the new EBE I just had a few questions if you guys would be kind enough to answer (if you're allowed of course).

As per Lee's Twitch broadcasts the building area is pretty small, so are you able to put multiple build areas together to create an even larger structure or a large dungeon like maze?

Is there a limit to how many build areas you can have?

How many levels or floors can you create?

Will there be a random texture generated for each 'segment' just like FPSC?

Will there be different window shapes?

Will there be doors and not just doorways?

I think that's it really, thanks for your input
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2016 01:45
Quote: "To all the lucky devils that got a chance to play with the beta build of the new EBE I just had a few questions if you guys would be kind enough to answer (if you're allowed of course).
"

Absolutely we are allowed to this time 'round.

1. Yes, you can build multiple areas and put them together to your heart's content.

2. I don't know, but I've put several down, and if you find syncromesh's video, you will see he has a LOT! Keep in mind, we can't save our creations yet, so everything I or anyone else has done is a one shot and it's over.

3. As far as I know, the sky's the limit.

4. Random? Not as of yet. You can use a texture palette of 16 textures as of yet. I believe (I may be wrong) that it will eventually be 16 per structure

5. So far everything is blocks. Gotta make you own window open space and fill it with your own (or, of course, texture a solid object)

6. Just doorways as of yet. Gotta put your own in place, or again put a door texture on the solid object (this would be unusable of course)

Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2016 10:18 Edited at: 20th Sep 2016 10:20
The main question in my mind is: When is the blinking thing going to be released? I'm desperate to start work on my game.

But that's not a very helpful response and I applaud Jerry for his comprehensive reply.
Julian
PM
display mode error
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2016 11:52 Edited at: 20th Sep 2016 11:54
Thank you for your response Jerry.

Quote: "4. Random? Not as of yet. You can use a texture palette of 16 textures as of yet. I believe (I may be wrong) that it will eventually be 16 per structure"

Sorry if I wasn't clear (I wrote this just before I went to bed). In the old FPSC you could add segments to your level that had all the same texture, but once you were in test game the segments would generate random elements on that texture, for example drain covers and wall cracks. I was wondering if that would make a return in the EBE maybe in the future.

Quote: "5. So far everything is blocks. Gotta make you own window open space and fill it with your own (or, of course, texture a solid object)

6. Just doorways as of yet. Gotta put your own in place, or again put a door texture on the solid object (this would be unusable of course)"

I see, but maybe in the near future you could have 'door' segments that you could slot in place. You would only need 3 minimum to cover different genres (or perhaps you could just texture to how you want like the wall pieces?), Sci-Fi, Fantasy/medieval and modern/generic/WW2 etc.

Quote: "The main question in my mind is: When is the blinking thing going to be released? I'm desperate to start work on my game."

Hopefully before next year, but I don't see this coming any sooner until Christmas or there about, I'm ok waiting if this means we get something of quality right out of the box. I didn't vote for EBE as I feel Game Guru stills needs a lot of work regarding performance and optimisation, but I am looking forward to seeing it myself since I am very interested in creating a dungeon crawler type game and creating large indoor environments at the moment is time consuming and performance heavy.

In the mean time Lee did say in his earlier post that the new assets would arrive before the EBE, so I guess this will hopefully keep a lot of people happy. I know I will be
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2016 21:58 Edited at: 21st Sep 2016 22:02
From what I have seen so far, it looks good, just the lack of save makes it fairly useless. It will be useful for making all sorts, not just buildings, but suffers a little from it's use of basic blocks. Curves are not a feature at present. I'm not sure how much better a 16-bit section could look in comparison, but hopefully would improve matters.

Quote: "I see, but maybe in the near future you could have 'door' segments that you could slot in place."

It's really easy to make a door section, so really avoids the need for this. however you could probably make your own with the above mentioned section builder. It's manual, no editor, but you can make a section by using 1's and 0's in a text file. Takes me back to UDG's on the ZX Spectrum, lol. Those were the days, no graphic programs then, just paper and pen, graph paper if you were lucky and coding it in bit by bit with the poke command

Edit - You can make window shapes the same way, just not round ones.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2016 19:40
Yah! EBE comes with Santa.

About doors and windows, it would be nice as Classic does, that way size would not be a problem.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2016 23:46
Quote: "About doors and windows, it would be nice as Classic does, that way size would not be a problem. "

Anything would be nice at the moment .

Dave
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2016 04:30
Will this system be better than the Segments in FPSC?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2016 06:26
Quote: "It's manual, no editor, but you can make a section by using 1's and 0's in a text file. Takes me back to UDG's on the ZX Spectrum, lol. Those were the days, no graphic programs then, just paper and pen, graph paper if you were lucky and coding it in bit by bit with the poke command"

yeah bring back POKE 36869,255. Ok that's the VIC-20, but they were fun days trying to fit everything into 3k ha
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Will this system be better than the Segments in FPSC?"

In my opinion yes ... you now have full control over what you create from textures to layout, indoors and outdoor construction ..
The concepts all there and works well .... In beta we all have pretty much the same list of things that need attention...
Once ready I think the Community will work wonders with it ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2016 00:46
The doors and windows fitting will simply depend on finding a cooperative artist to create them sized to the smallest grid dimensions of the EBE, and with my 'composite entity' magic (not first version) they will simply snap into their assigned holes and a functional building is born. We could argue the segment editor door system was 'quicker and easier' but it was limited with the habit of creating fixed block size structures and a CSG process that forced a lot of cups of tea on you.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 03:43:24
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 03:43:24