Product Chat / GameGuru - Steam Game Quality?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi! Some of you may remember me from the old FPSC forums (i was known as syko-games). I have been delving into Unreal Engine and Unity development, but none fit the bill to create my game (A WW2 FPS faithfull to the old MoH games such as Frontine and Rising Sun). Is GameGuru capable of creating a game that can go onto steam? and can you build indoor levels?

Thanks!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2016 13:29 Edited at: 7th Sep 2016 13:35
There's been several GG Steam games. Whether you could say they are good enough to be on Steam is another matter entirely. What I have seen to date are pretty much walking sims. I can understand this, as AI is not great yet, but as games they would leave many people unimpressed in general. If Unreal and Unity don't fit the bill, I doubt GG will fare well, unless by fitting the bill, you mean easier to use, in which case yes GG is certainly easier than both engines.

GG is a fun tool for making games though and as much as I sometimes complain about it, I do use it quite a lot and normally find it fun while doing so. I just find the limitations annoying and that progress is slow. You will find odd little quirks now and again, for instance use the menu on a standalone and the game sounds will suddenly stop playing. Little things like that sound like no real issue, but I wouldn't want to release a game that did that unless it was free, if I could help it (many issues you may not notice till too late).

For the price it's worth a look. The media included is pretty much worth it alone, when you look at store prices on the other sites. Still a long way to go though for it to be considered ready to make steam games. Performance wise as well, not the best. You can have a fairly smooth GG game, but most aren't. Most I have tried, have run pretty badly (20 fps or less). I always figure the author must have a beast and not noticed, or doesn't care. It's always a pleasant surprise if you download and play someones game and it is smooth. It does happen occasionally

Edit - Oh, yes you can make indoor levels. Lighting is a little odd though and normally needs some adjusting to work.
If you haven't seen much GG stuff in action check out my youtube channel. There's plenty on there to show what it's capable of.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RetroGamebloke

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2016 17:34
Hello Astral!

What you attempt to do is certainly doable. You'll find some examples of indoor levels and how they can be lit here.

A recent game from our forums that is released on steam can be found here.

-Wolf
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Sep 2016 23:47 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:19
You can definitely produce something of quality with GG. There've been a few games on Steam, each of them enjoyable in their own right. I'd say go for it, the software has only been getting better and better.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2016 00:52
Quote: "(A WW2 FPS faithfull to the old MoH games such as Frontine and Rising Sun)"

My most favorite game of all is MOH Airborne. I still think this is the most realistic game ever made.Good luck with your efforts. I for one would love to see this type of game made in GG.

Dave
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2016 06:32
Yes MOH Airborn one of my favs, I always thought it was one of the hardest.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:12:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:12:41