Work In Progress / Hunted: One Step Too Far - Steam Greenlight

Author
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2016 16:04 Edited at: 19th Nov 2016 15:17
Hey Guys,

after months of work now, I want to present to you, my Project: Hunted: One Step Too Far.
The Developer's Name is DK Productions, wich is myself only.
According to the Work in Progress Thread Rules, I am going to tell you the details of the Game below.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You love to Geocache. It's a good way to escape the daily life. You like doing it alone and at night. It has that special adrenalin rush.
But what will you do, when you find out that you're not alone?

Hunted: One Step Too Far, is the first Game of Indie Game Developer DK Productions. It combines horror, adventure,survival and walking simulator elements to one unique mix.
Expect to explore threatening environments while you are looking for the geocache.

Game Features:

- Multiple Open Area Levels
- No Cheap Jumpscares
- Living World
- Atmospheric Soundtrack
- Creepy Environments
- Unique Enemies
- Unique Story

This Game is being developed with GameGuru. It was published on 2nd september on steam. If you helped me getting there, THANK YOU !
You can play the public early alpha for free! Just check out the link below:
http://gamejolt.com/games/hunted-one-step-too-far/169008

This Post was first published in August. Now it's november and I can proudly say that 5000 people now own "Hunted: One Step Too Far" on steam !

Thanks to YOU, the gg community for helping me with scripts and the software itself. This game would not exist without you !

VIDEOS:

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 270X

Attachments

Login to view attachments
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Good luck with your game on steam ...
I have also just added your Steam Reviewer Badge .
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2016 12:05
Gotta admit, my first thought when I saw this thread was "Sigh! Another complete newbie ramming his half-baked attempt at a game directly on steam".
I must say that I am positively surprised.

Videos and screenshots have a gripping atmosphere and I can clearly see that you have put a lot of effort into this. The videos seem somewhat polished and a lot of the "rough edges" you find in GG games are not present. Its really cool. I'll test your alpha once I have a bit of free time You use a lot of stock media but do so very effectively. Also happy that you use a bunch of my media in this, which is always nice to see.
I'm especially fond of the nocturnal ambience you have going on in here...very neat. It really looks like nighttime.

I'm looking forward to more from you! Richtig gute Arbeit.
A point of criticism: The skybox...that potato moon really takes me out of the game in places.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I have to agree ....
There's a lot of WIP in this thread that's really starting to look very impressive.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2016 12:32
oh thank you guys so much !!!

yeah I tried to fix the skybox but when you look at the moon from the corner of your field of view, it looks allright.
It just gets so strange when you look straight at it....

And please let me know what you think of the alpha please note that the alpha is outdated, i have improved this game quite a bit since the release.
And also I want to add, that I did the soundtrack mostly by myself. I am kind of a music artist... I work with music software very much.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually many mention the moon looks oval in other maps .... I don't see it as oval ...Its just not a full moon
I just see about number 3 from the left in this cycle ..

PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2016 13:19
yes i agree. But wolf wasnt the only one who mentioned it, so I tried to change it. But for my personal taste it's okay. it's exactly like the picture you posted.
darimc
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2016 17:05
I, too, was expecting a half-baked attempt at taking some people's money via Steam, but was happily surprised. Your game has some of the best atmosphere I've seen in a GG game, and appears aesthetically polished in ways that many GG games don't come close to. It also appears from the video that you have done a particularly good job at helping to direct the player without compromising the tense, mysterious atmosphere you have going. I'll let you know my thoughts in full once I've tried the demo.
Signatures are overrated.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2016 17:19 Edited at: 25th Aug 2016 21:43
Thanks

Guys, this really means a lot to me. I will really try to do my best I can with this game.

EDIT: MY GAME HAS BEEN GREENLIT ON STEAM! It will be released as soon as I complete the steam related stuff.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 13:46
Congratulations, Duchenkuke!

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2016 15:51
Thank you !
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Very atmospheric trailers.
Julian
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2016 23:08 Edited at: 4th Sep 2016 23:08
Purchased! I have to say this is highly impressive! The exterior levels are terrific. I enjoyed the 'ping' mechanic for getting closer to notes. The story was pretty solid but did have a few holes in it. I would have preferred an explanation for the 'guards'. At first I was sucked in with the grounding in reality, but when the guards and other pursuers entered the story it kind of broke the immersion with the introduction of a supernatural element. Maybe it would have been more effective if the player were drugged and it was part of a hallucination. The interior levels were ...ok compared to the exterior. Some of the chase levels seemed a bit rushed compared to the care of the first two and the last two levels. Yes the last two levels are without a doubt among the best looking levels I've seen come from GameGuru. I'm an avid user and literally didn't feel like I was in a GameGuru level. As grand as they were I saw a bit of a missed opportunity; it would have been the perfect spot for some closure or exposition. Instead it was just a looooooong quiet walk through some amazing scenery. I really want to ask did you base the levels on actual locations? The little touches, like two folding chairs in a particularly nice scene really did it justice. It's a great buy and a great representation for GameGuru as a whole.
I give it out of 10.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2016 06:47
THANKS SO MUCH for your review ! I already replied on steam but I want to ask here:

What can I do better? What chase levels do you mean? The asylum?
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 5th Sep 2016 08:03 Edited at: 5th Sep 2016 09:49
Well, I bought it and downloaded it last night. I've played up until you get out the other side of the asylum, and so far enjoyed it, the overall ambience was great, it made you go through everything very cautiously even before the statues. There's only three things I could bring up,

1. Loading into the asylum for the first time I got an error message (i'll post a picture of the error when I get home tonight), but it wasn't the usual GameGuru style error, it was a message about some file or other crashing, but once I clicked ok the game carried on running fine.
2. The statues are (in my opinion) a tad too fast, moving whole corridor lengths in a fraction of a second.
3. I hate bringing up spelling and grammar on social media/forum sites, but a pass of the text in the game is needed, there are some quite noticeable spelling errors, grammar errors and even missing words. Off the top of my head, in the opening video the one of the first lines you see says "reguary...." instead of "regularly...", also remember you have an international audience, so regional/geographical word variations such as "since" instead of "from" should be avoided to make it more understandable to everyone (unless of course its a character trait, so I suppose you could get away with it in the notes).

Other than that, the game is brilliant so far, good job.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2016 13:44
Thank you very much belidos ! I really appreciate it.

As far as the grammar goes, you are right. When I did the notes, I didn't know much about the english grammar. I really gotta fix that sometime.
Statues okay, it's very easy to fix that. Never had that error though, I will see what you mean.

Thanks again belidos, for buying my game and giving me feedback!
It really helps!

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 5th Sep 2016 14:47
Congratulations on your steam release

Pleased that you got your release teething problems sorted out so too - how did you find the steam process apart from those issues?

Cheers.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2016 15:50
Thanks cybernescence

I had no Idea what to expect. I only can say that I've never been so happy that I can understand english pretty good before...
Setting the game up on steam was quite a pain at first, because the tutorial they provided, did not work.
After reading the comments of other steam users I started to understand what I had to do.
Overall I can say that it is much work to set the things up, but that's okay. Once you understand things it becomes easier.
There were tips and hints how to do stuff, but in german. That's good at first, but it looks like it was translated with google translator, because words were missing... sentences did not make any sense at times.... Sometimes I had to GUESS what it means.^^
Bottom line is, I did it and that's all that matters.

But now I understand why over thousands of games that have been greenlit never appeared on steam lol..
If my text here is a bit confusing, I'm sorry.
I just woke up after a little nap. A much needed nap

Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2016 20:37
What I mean by chase levels is the ones where you were chased in the courtyard , and the crypt. The main problem with the crypt was it was cleaner looking than the asylum. Perhaps altering the crypts texture with a dirty or dripping look would help. This is all just my opinion and it may differ from others but here are some things I would have done to enhance what you have.
*Dirty up the crypt section
*Explain the moving statues in some way. This was kind of left unsolved unless I missed something.
*In the 'stairway' stage I would have a soundtrack playing of the tour guide explaining what he's going to do to you and how it will change you, but slowed down so it sounds like you are under anesthesia.
*Did he already start the process of changing you? Maybe he could have. Maybe during the last two stages you can describe what is happening to you or what has happened to you at intervals on the path. Give the player some more explanation during the walk. Perhaps it would be a great time to question or explain how the player saw statues moving and harming him.

Again this is just what I would have done. Others may have taken a different course. I hope that helps.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2016 21:09
Thank you very much ! Will think about it and see what possibilities I got.
Nice Feedback and good Ideas, thanks
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2016 14:58 Edited at: 6th Sep 2016 14:58
Purchased, enjoyed and reviewed:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/IvanErtlov/recommended/521450

(Spoiler: It's a thumbs up, and a great one!)
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2016 15:33
Thanks so much !
DavidMcNamara
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Adventure Games, Walking Simulators, etc.
Posted: 27th Oct 2016 23:00
Played your game a few weeks ago - and really enjoyed it
What I found really rewarding was
to go back after having completed the asylum and

enjoying the beautifully crafted landscape!

Quite a special experience and a really well-polished game!
Mathiasdam
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey i randomly found your game on youtube in a lets play session! It looks really good! And impressive sound design as well!
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2016 18:42
Thank you I did the sounds mostly by myself with music software. Sound is one of the most important things in games and I really wanted it to be more than usual quality.
Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 270X
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2016 14:27
H U N T E D: one step too far review

Note: I've been reviewing most games that came out for FPSC and now GG for over 5 years now. I value objectivity and honesty yet everything you are about to read here is just my subjective opinion. I'll also review these in an upbeat, joking manner unless the game is so bad that it made me miserable. With that out of the way, its time for the review.

Hunted: One step too far is about an insane mental patient. And I don't mean the tourguide, I mean the protagonist. Hear me out.

What is immediately striking about "hunted" is the production quality. You really went through with creating a presentation worthy of a commercial product. You introduce us of the general feel and style of Hunted in the start menu screen and keep it consistent throughout.
A well made, yet minimalistic intro sequence introduces me to the plot. Apparently I'm a bloke (all videogame protagonists are dudes until proven otherwise) who enjoys himself some geocaching. To add extra adventure to his ventures he likes to do so at night/towards the evening.

So far so good!

I'm an outdoors person myself and the game's first level is immediately so filled to the brim with atmosphere that I really felt like wandering off into the wilderness at night. The levels are well designed and hide their "game guruness" very well yet the simple terrain and some not too stellar looking foliage give it away. I'm surprised that these shortcomings did not hurt the game at all. The sound design was excellent from the get go and an uneasy feeling started to creep in when I started my little venture. Note that recent AAA horror games had to work way harder to get me in this state of mind that I kept checking if something spawned behind me. Also note that I never felt like I was in the botanics when walking through the stunning landscapes of skyrim. Despite being way more low-tec...Hunted really nailed that aspect for me.

You have to take the story to Hunted with a grain of salt and despite some odd design choices towards the end, the story that is unfolding in this game is framework at best and groan inducingly juvenile at worst. At first it seems that someone is leading us on with cryptic notes that point us to the direction of a "test" and maybe even the geocache we are looking for.
Note that in the first level we are finding some place where it is apparent that someone was trying to burry a hacked up corpse, notes that already have the allure of being written by someone less-than-stable leading us into the wild and in the house we find a diary talking about murder and someone watching us. It also downright states that the adventurers before me have been shot. The more we proceed, the more dire our surroundings get.

Keep in mind that we are here to find a geocache....you know! Fun! There is absolutely nothing set up to motivate us to keep going towards something that is obviously a death trap. If Duchenkuke's writer staff of several people (apparently) would have given us some simple motivation to not "nope" back to the car like any sane person would, this'd be so much better because then we'd "have" to push on. The plot as it stands now is a willful suicide trip.
(( You could have written in that your son/daughter/brother/whatever was into geocaching and went missing, you found the last coordinates he downloaded from the computer and then you went looking for him. This would give you enough motivation to go on even after you find traces of a serial killer in the woods.))

What is immediately striking is the attention to detail.
Note that not every model is well chosen, some things seem to be used out of lack of a better alternative and there is a sharp contrast between the quality of many models, however, Duchenkuke managed to make it all click together and little things (birds flying around and casting eeriee shadows on the floor, a little pigeon on the roof of the house, critters in the woods.) really made this stand out to me.

You can venture into the wilderness any time you want and the soundtrack makes it feel really unsave!

This game is one of many "horror walking simulators". However, due to its atmosphere, its not as teethgrindingly boring as most of its peers.
Hunted understands escalation and build up. Its upping the anty and creep factor slowly but consistently and does so far better than most indie horror games I have been forced to sit through at gun point so far.
What is also refreshing is that Hunted is entirely unpretentious. Its an indie game and it knows it..where other games ("Doorways" for example) can get so hung up on their symbolism and the "deeper disturbing meaning" of things that they tend to just feel childish and plain navle gazing.

As I ventured on I was legitimately surprised by the clever use of Duchenkukes limited catalogue of assets and use of detail. The levels are also quite large with many hidden things off the beaten path.

In the second level I heard a wolf howling...and when I looked towards a hill I could see an actual wolf on top... howling!

A design choice that I did not agree with was the presence of many axes and picks. You can even pick one up and use it to enter the asylum. If these things are present there better be a reason for the player to not be able to pick them up and use them as a weapon.

The game later proceeds into an asylum. I can see why a lot of players'd groan at the cliché of the haunted asylum in the woods but I found it "okay" personally. The game changes scenery and has been increasing the dread factor to a point that I'm fine with the concept of this place at this point.
The asylum was also well designed and decidedly cluttered yet this is the point where the design starts to be inconsistent. @Duchenkuke: Hunted is quite fantastic for an "Erstlingswerk" but I do recommend to learn the basics of texturing and maybe even modeling for future games. You need to learn how to adjust textures to a look and feel. In the Asylum you'll find many furniture items (lots from my old packs! Thanks for using these!) that are utterly misplaced. You'll find brand new furniture in a run down asylum, some obviously medieval looking. I must admit that this took me out of the game here and there.

This is where the game decides to be metaphysical and paranormal. The horrorsnobs have a dire battle over if that is better than something more grounded or not. I'm definitely into paranormal threats because crazed people or killers fail to frighten me the least. I'm also among the few people who liked the idea of the "morphogenetic engine" in outlast.
Now, the game proceeds to slowly amplify the creep factor with these statues that only move when you do. ...and they move fast and have better pathfinding than the other enemies in the game.
The lobotomie character has been spawned before yet I found it utterly misplaced. It seemed a big stretch to have this here. What was it? How did it survive all these years? How did it fit in with the tourguide and the paranormal entities? Definately one of the weaker choices in the game.
Maybe because I often used them in my 2011 release "Euthanasia" and associate them with that or maybe because they are so overused by now?
If you combined a vague paranormal force with the real presence of the tourguide without throwing the lobotomies in, I'm sure this'd have felt more consistent.

Anywaysies, I'm rambling on and try to make this short from here on out:

The game keeps going and getting increasingly weird building in some dream sequences to break up the dark nature of its levels. I found this to be very effective and well made. The cutscenes in between are stellarly well done and your german accents are barely present (except for the radio thingie towards the end ) I feel like the levels have lost some quality as the game went on, yet the increasing weirdness of them made up for that. Also using ominous foliage at night paired with eeriee sounds is one of your strenghts in this!

An emberassing moment for me was the part where the female statue was suddenly hunting me. It startled me and the way it just hung there, suspended in mid air when I looked at it creeped me out. The worst part about this is that I made that statue.

I like the ending! Its also a sign that you are not a pretentious game designer. teenage horror fans seem to hate the idea of a happy ending. I prefer them, simply because I hate following a character through strife and challenges only to see him fail at the end when nothing was accomplished. having an empty feeling after a horror film does not make it "deeper" and overcoming challenges is not "schmaltzy". A good horror story, to me, is built like night. We get eased in through the evening, then the sun goes down and we descent into darkness...night is darkest before dawn: then dawn and end of story. I know this is harder to do effectively than just having the protagonist descend into darkness and end on a somber note but hey! You kinda pulled it off.

I say kinda because the last levels in the sunlight are way too long and uneventful. The level design quality in broad daylight is also way below the first nature levels. They are really dragging the overall quality down, and I believe a short glimpse of "hey! I made it, its day and I go back to my car" would have sufficed. The ending levels just keep meandering and dragging on for too long. The music is really really good but everything else is way worse than what we saw before.

What I find haunting is that this game had so many writers. Maybe the story seemed good on paper? In the final product, there was no motivation to venture into danger. Things are brought up (the tourguides dead wife/girlfriend, the tourguides pupil) and never delivered upon. There is no explanation to the paranormal aspects except that the tourgude wanted to "create a world for himself". Did he have psychic abilities and somehow dragged you in his parallel universe? What about the statues? Are they at all related to the Asylum? How far away from the Asylum can they operate? Who made them? Why does the tourguide bleed and live like he does? What exactly did he try to do to the protagonist? If he really is a remaining patient from the asylum why does he have nightvision binoculars and use a cell phone? Did the police notice the glowing eyes on the tourguide or run into the death statues? the lobotomies? How did the coordinates get to the player...is the tourguide using the internet?
It all feels like horror elements thrown in as a framework (that works) and not a consistent story.

Here is what I would have done to have fewer contradicting elements in the game: The Asylum conducted fringe experiments during the cold war on the tourguide as a child. We do the usual psychic ability amplification thingie. The player later finds an old rusty lab and strange equipment in the asylum.
The tourguide managed to influence other patients in the asylum causing some kind of incident resulting in closing the facility. He has been put to death (cause of death somehow reoccuring theme in the game, like if he has been hung, you keep seeing hanging corpses in the game) yet his amplified abilites allow him to live some kind of vengeful unlive between dimensions. this would explain his glowing eyes and appearance. His expanded conciousness could then also control these statues and so forth. Alternatively, the torturous methods of the asylum could have led to him being posessed by a demon. Resulting in similar powers and giving him a reason to lure people out to consume them or whatever. You could even give him a split personality, his demonic side luring the player in and his human side placing these notes to warn him. Ah! just raw ideas to not have too many things going on at once and not explaining any. None of this is good but I believe it could be worked with.

On a personal note: The mystics lair and scenery models from megapack 2 are old models of mine. I know a lot of them don't hold up too well but I find that you used them very effectively in this game! Thanks for that as I have seen them in way too many bad games on steam and otherwise in the past. If you ever need something modeled or retextured, please ask, maybe I can help you.

So! The conclusion

The Good:

* Well made and clean presentation
* Atmosphere
* Gradual and well made progression in chaos and creep factor
* Using game guru to your advantage and overcoming limitations
* Impressive atmospheric detail and use of animated props
* long levels and clear goals as well as clear gameplay mechanics.
* minimalistic, yet never boring
* Excellent music and sound design
* Another GG game on steam that is not terrible!
* Good set of well made levels
* Length!

The Bad:
* Meandering and pointless levels with decreased visual quality towards the end. (the game overstays its welcome)
* Limited interactivity: The player has no reaction to worrying signs you find early on and you can only interact with the notes. Yet later in the game we see his thoughts displayed on screen "lets see where this road leads me". Being able to examine the environment would have added something I believe.
* Lack of motivation for the player to go on and storyline that goes nowhere
* Some ill chosen and ill fitting models here and there.

Final Notes:

- in a game where the main focus is reading and finding notes, make all notes readable. Never use paper as clutter or detail objects

- post-traumatic stress disorder is a relatively new therm. I'm not sure when the asylum was supposed to shut down but this has been in a handwritten journal so I assume like the 60s? PTSD is a term from (I think) the 80s. Just a thought...not important.

- Don't place potential weapons when we can't use them in a game that is about survival

- Let the player interact more with his environment. Especially the dreamstate levels where a good place for weird puzzles.

- Keep it up! This game was great!

I'm not a fan of numbered ratings but I'd probably give this a solid 76/100.

You have also been awarded the BOTB badge for this title! Congratulations.

-Wolf

Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2016 15:09 Edited at: 19th Nov 2016 15:12
awww Thank you so much wolf, that is EXACTLY the kind of review I was hoping for. A review that clearly tells me what is good and what isn't. I will be reading this more often in the future for sure. I agree with everything you wrote. I even knew about the "post traumatic stress disorder" being to new for this, but I was hoping nobody would notice

As far as the story goes, it looks like they where many people involved but the the truth is that I wrote 80% of it. They had some ideas and I used them. So they really helped me, but I was still the one responsible for the story at the end. So this goes on me ^^

Like I sayd, I agree with all your points, the good and bad ones. I thank you for this wonderful review that really helps me understand why some people don't like my game.

My new game is slowly in the making and it will take a longer time for me to finish it. Creating Hunted was really a learning experience and your review helps me a lot.

Designing textures really sounds great, but I have no idea of it.
This may sound strange, but I like the fps creator games from GD Nomad, the "my bones" guy. I think his games are pretty good looking when there are indoor areas. What I mean by that, I really want to learn more about texturing and maybe about modeling too.

Maybe you got a hint for me where to start ?

Anyways, I think I said everything that I had in mind and I am very thankful for your detailed review. This really motivates me to make it better next time and who knows.. maybe my work with hunted is not over yet

Thank you so much and kind regards,

Duchenkuke

edit: what is the meaning of the badge you gave me ? Thanks for it, it looks great
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 13:57
Hello!

Sorry for the delay of my reply. Things are piling up on my end.

Quote: "Thank you so much wolf, that is EXACTLY the kind of review I was hoping for. A review that clearly tells me what is good and what isn't."

You are very welcome! I enjoy doing these, hence the length of the review

Quote: "Designing textures really sounds great, but I have no idea of it.
This may sound strange, but I like the fps creator games from GD Nomad, the "my bones" guy. I think his games are pretty good looking when there are indoor areas. What I mean by that, I really want to learn more about texturing and maybe about modeling too."

GDNomad makes nice scenes.
I'm only an amateur but I've often been congratulated on my texture work and visual style. I can't give you any professional advice but what I can tell you is: Start the way I did.
When I first started I was using FPSCreator which was rendering very flat at the time. I pretty much pioneered the high contrast, highpass filter look later copied by many other creators. I did this to compensate for the lack of depht and shaders in the engine at the time.
What unifies a game visually is comitting to a certain texture style and retexturing all or plenty of objects in that look. I'd start there and just "learn by doing". I use paint shop, but I recommend photoshop. Paint shop can be purchased on amazon. Older copies are cheap. Paint.net can convert and batch convert to .dds. its free.
The way I texture my models is entirely backwards and technically wrong. But its fast and while not perfect, I'm fine with my results.
Textures and materials are ultimately more important than polygonal fidelity. Anyone who ever used a decent HD mod for an oldie knows that.

So yes, experiment with different filters and colourschemes and then make a game comitting to one. You'll see what I mean.

This game uses a highpass filtered look and is made in FPSCreator.

Quote: "what is the meaning of the badge you gave me ? Thanks for it, it looks great"

BOTB means Best of the Best! An award given to exemplary complete projects. This used to be prestigious in FPSC games and will be translated to Game Guru. However, we don't have worked out entirely how these games will be archived and featured in the future. There will most likely be a stickied thread linking to these projects in the showcase board later.

-Wolf
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2016 14:35 Edited at: 6th Dec 2016 14:36
haha okay Thanks !

- the screenshots of spyra.... damn it... this looks awesome !

Youtube:
The German Music Dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeutscherVolker
DK Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqwvScXnJL_zNYqSsfTCqA
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2016 09:59
Breakign News:

Hunted made it to the IOTY Top 100 and can be voted for winner:

Congratulations!
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2016 13:50
Thanks so much just awesome^^

Youtube:
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 00:11
Kewl!! I voted.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 09:36
Thanks !!

Youtube:
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 09:45 Edited at: 12th Dec 2016 09:46
Voted

But i'm not going to say who i voted for :p

Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 09:39

Quote: "But i'm not going to say who i voted for :p"

Trump?
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 10:22
Quote: "Trump? "

More like Trumpton

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:35:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:35:21