more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent work !
Another first you have brought to the table
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2016 10:12 Edited at: 25th Jul 2016 19:41
Nice
I was just about to start taking a look at ways to get melee in third person myself, and you got something going here already. Looks like you may be using a raycast hit from invisible gun to cause damage given the cross hair. I considered that myself but reckon I will be working on some visuals and animations for fast and furious sword fights till proper third person features are implemented since this would be real restrictive where player character would need to be facing enemy directly to cause damage (no side swipes or even slightly off centre swipes being so close). Well done and curious to know if you went the invisible weapon route with this and how it really feels and reacts gameplay wise, currently I find melee even on enemy characters way too slow and kinda cumbersome. Fist and sword fights shouldn't be hit and miss slow motion with a grunt and a swish every now and then, so decent character animations and properly timed sounds are a must have for these.

I am kinda trying to work out why you are having to place the character so far to the side of screen and reckon your keeping yourself from being shot but wondering if you cant move the weapon forward in gunspecs, I always reckoned the firespot on any character or HUD weapon coordinates would be from FIRESPOT position. You can see this with the current Wizard staff where if you move character the projectile fires from a fixed position on the staff,not from behind the character, or is this just something which needs to be done with raycast weapons? Just curious.

Of major note to myself doing third person characters I have seen that the speed is still default as FPShooter where camera, and therefore character, runs at high speed, with the wee default wizards legs trying to keep up with the pace. So I have found myself reducing the speed to 35 and animating my characters at proper frame rates to look even remotely natural and stop sliding footsteps etc. Personally I feel there is just too much still needing done to make 3rd person more viable at this point, currently you got only 6 animation ranges to use idle/walk/run/fire/jump/die, but that's just me so well done on getting this far.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2016 12:03
fantastic, thanks for sharing...
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2016 17:05
@rolfy I completely understand where you are coming from on this.lol but it's all about the basics for right now and had to start somewhere. I will keep looking into this myself but there is only so much be done until Lee add more options.

thanks guys glad you like it. I will release this fpe as well. if you can smell what I'm cooking!! lol

MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2016 18:41
so now I fully understand how the melee works for 3rd person. here is a top down gameplay.

MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2016 05:06
so I got it to work without the need of the crosshair.

R.E.Z.
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

this melee knight 3rd person looks really great
Pretty neat.

C.U. R.E.Z.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Info for those trying to create custom anims for third person.

Do not try to use any anim starting from 0 frame, defaults to some weird frame range, even starting from frame 1 will be ok.
Unless walk and run anim frames match up exactly with the default frames (300,335 and 460,480) you will not get footfall sounds, must be hard coded to the frame ranges?

At least this is what I have found and it messed up my Juju for the day moving and re-timing the keyframes for a very complicated rig.
gd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2016 23:39 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2016 23:40
Hi MXS, have you sorted the issue with the action to sound delay?
I have noticed that the sound is played just before the action in 3rd person using the core sound wav's. Maybe there is a wait command that can be used in lua before playing sound effects for weapons like swords, etc or add extra time to the beginning of the wav files.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:09:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:09:26