Product Chat / Changing your players hand/arm?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 05:47 Edited at: 18th Jul 2016 05:49
Hi,

I've downloaded a few guns from the GG Store for my game but the problem is that each gun gives the player an alternate arm. How can I modify them so the and and arm look the same for every weapon?

Thanks!

imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 07:06 Edited at: 18th Jul 2016 07:08
you can't
all those are animated arms and hands, rigged with the differents weapons.

the only ways is to create new animated hands+weapons by yourself in a 3d software and then export that to GG.

see here

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215952
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 13:09 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 10:40
You should look at retexturing the hands/forearm with the same texture. This will give you consistency through all the weapons.
MStockton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 14:18
With a little effort you can retexture the hands as Landman said. I recently did a retexture for the .45 and hands to meet my liking and then edited the weapon overall to be a bit more realistic and better in general. I renamed the files so I have the option to start a player with the basic pistol and then "upgrade" to an enhanced version in game, so there's a lot you can do to improve an item. It's just not as simple as we'd always like it to be. That said, if you have any graphics skills worth noting, you can retexture some objects really quickly and get exactly what you want.

When you want to make a game quick, those little things are a hassle for sure. If you're working on a long term project, you'll likely find yourself changing your mind on weapons and textures several times so I suggest thinking that aspect through before making the actual texture changes. Good luck!
PM
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 20:54
i was trying also to do new hands and new weapon, i never worked with direct x fiels i just use 3ds max for modelling.
so im a bit stuck too because i can't find any good tutorial how to make the differents animations and then export that to direct x format or to another software between 3ds max and GG.
like:

iddle
firing
running
etc

the only thing i know it's for each weapons, we need to create a new folder with a new model with the differents animations + textures.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I've highlighted this problem before. I suggested there be a standard look for arms/hands but my suggestion received little enthusiasm.
Julian
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 21:12
Quote: "because i can't find any good tutorial how to make the differents animations and then export that to direct x format or to another software between 3ds max and GG.
like: "

You don't really need a tutorial for it, its really simple.

Select Export, name it and choose kW X-port as the format, click save, tick export material, untick compressed, tick Export Animation and Export Skinning, then in the num. frames box type in the number of frames for all your animations and click OK.

Job done. (I think I covered everything, I don't think I missed any step)

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 01:14
but do i have to place the hands/arms at the same height of one of GG characters?
in the center 0,0 of 3ds max?
also for the camera of course i supose im free to chose the best view for checking what i see, if the animations looks good and what we see?
because cameras are not exported to GG right?
Dagger_Valley
Years of Service
User Offline
THanks for the help everyone!

If there is a way for someone like myself who has no skills in that department make up a mini tutorial for how to do it?

Quote: "With a little effort you can retexture the hands as Landman said. I recently did a retexture for the .45 and hands to meet my liking and then edited the weapon overall to be a bit more realistic and better in general. I renamed the files so I have the option to start a player with the basic pistol and then "upgrade" to an enhanced version in game, so there's a lot you can do to improve an item. It's just not as simple as we'd always like it to be. That said, if you have any graphics skills worth noting, you can retexture some objects really quickly and get exactly what you want.

When you want to make a game quick, those little things are a hassle for sure. If you're working on a long term project, you'll likely find yourself changing your mind on weapons and textures several times so I suggest thinking that aspect through before making the actual texture changes. Good luck!"

How do you do this?
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 08:50 Edited at: 19th Jul 2016 08:56
Quote: "but do i have to place the hands/arms at the same height of one of GG characters?
in the center 0,0 of 3ds max?
also for the camera of course i supose im free to chose the best view for checking what i see, if the animations looks good and what we see?
because cameras are not exported to GG right?"

As far as I know they need to be in the same position and height as a character that has it's eye level set to 0,0,0 I think, most sets of arms are created by taking a full character in Max (or whatever modeller you use) and deleting everything except the arms. But i'm not entirely sure as it's not something I've tried myself.

As to cameras, that's all set up via gameguru, again i'm not sure how it's not something I've tried, but I would assume the camera angle for first person is fixed so as long as the origin point in your model is in the correct place (eye level at 0,0,0) it should automatically appear in the right place.

Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 08:59
I made my own arm HUDS using Blender before following a tutorial on YouTube, it's quite involved and you can use IK but that's a topic in itself. If I find the link on my external drive, I'll post or you can use google as your friend.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 10:10 Edited at: 21st Jul 2016 06:36
here you go, the first part (you don't have to use Makehuman, that is just incidental in the video):

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
MStockton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2016 13:33
Quote: "How do you do this?"

I think I see one line in bold about a retexture and file edit and I think you're asking about just that part. If so, there is a tutorial on Steam that will get you started but I'm not sure how much it applies to the way I did it or how you would prefer to do it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408830830

The tutorial was done with Gimp and I guess other applications. I personally use Photoshop with Nvidia's Normal and DDS plugins. The retexture was the easy part. Editing the associated files for weapon behavior were the harder part for me. I made a lot of mistakes and had to redo several things the first time around editing an existing weapon for GG. Make sure you've had plenty of sleep before you try.

Before anything else, make a copy of all necessary files and work on the copies. There are other ways but that is always your best bet.

If you want my honest suggestion, try some really simple texture changes first. Add some stripes or other random changes to see how it looks with the colors you want to use. (Don't try to do a full, beautiful retexture on your first attempt unless you are already comfortable with your image editing skills. It may be a waste of time until you get the hang of the various image mapping involved. It's not as hard as it may sound.) Then you'll have a better idea of how much the Specular maps and such need to be changed to go with your chosen color scheme and even your map's chosen visual settings.

I hope this is some kind of answer for you to understand and use.

I've attached a picture that has one of my changed pistols on the left and the original on the right. Aside from base colors and actual weapon behavior, the biggest change was the specular map. The original was too shiny for the map and theme I was working on at that time, including the skin on the arms. The top image is a side by side of the actual pick-up item, scaled way up on the map, with changes not as obvious.

I'm planning to do another remake soon. I could try and do a video tutorial at the same time, but I can't guarantee exactly how soon that will be. Anything that needs a voice is hard for me because I live and work in a very busy, noisy home.
I'll add an avatar and a real signature someday. I think...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Dagger_Valley
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the help, guys!

I'll give all the suggestions a go and see how I do.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Different hand anims would be great. This is something I stay away from, I'm awful at human looking 3D objects and just avoid them entirely. I noticed the weapons available on the store change your hands and that really put me off completely. We need more default stuff or more thoughtfully considered store stuff really. The store really has a gaping hole in this area, people would love decent new hands and such. I still think TGC need to add a lot more as default though. For instance, when you have no gun, it would be nice to have some hands instead, when you run and open doors for instance. Climbing ladders as well, although you can't do that by default, I'm still amazed that was not put in from the get go. I've seen a few games lambasted for having ladders but not being able to climb them, although in honesty that wasn't the biggest criticism of said games.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2016 21:03
Dvader you can use Zbrush for humain sculpting, you have a very exellent base mesh for humain in zbrush after you do a retopology auto or manually done and you get a lowpoly perfect for games.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Never tried that one, I've tried MakeHuman and Poser in the past. High poly count though generally and decimating in Blender always causes some issues. I don't mind modelling on occasion, but I generally avoid it as often as possible I have fuse as well, but similar issues with that as well. I've heard rumors GG will add support for fuse models out the box. If it does, then characters at least will be a lot easier to add! I've also seen a tool available now to convert them and am very tempted to get it, but am waiting on GG updates first to see where it goes. I'm guessing I will end up buying it down the line if I end up trying to make an actual game, rather than just coding mechanics as I find myself doing most the time of late.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 08:42
Quote: " I have fuse as well, but similar issues with that as well."

It's quite rare for a standard Fuse models to be super high poly, it's mainly the custom models people have put on the mixamo store that are high poly, he standard models aren't too bad. Plus, if they are too high poly then you just go to mixamo.com/decimator , upload the model choose how much you want it reduced and it decimates it all for you automatically.

So Fuse models are by no means an issue for GG, they're pretty perfect for GG once converted to .X, which can be done easily in just a few minutes by using RAf's latest tool, FBX2GG, this is a tool similar to Animer but with a twist, it automatically adds GG animations to FBX characters then exports them to the correct .X format in a few clicks, so easy to use, it's well worth the £30 price tag.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "it automatically adds GG animations to FBX characters then exports them to the correct .X format in a few clicks, so easy to use, it's well worth the £30 price tag."

I've seen it mentioned. Pity it can't add fuse animations instead of the default GG ones, as that's one of the reasons for using fuse models. The default anims are okay, but it would be nice to have a few extra ones now and again. Of course it may do as well, which would make it far more useful for custom characters

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2016 02:22
Quote: "I've seen it mentioned. Pity it can't add fuse animations instead of the default GG ones, as that's one of the reasons for using fuse models. The default anims are okay, but it would be nice to have a few extra ones now and again. Of course it may do as well, which would make it far more useful for custom characters "

It can add Fuse animations.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 03:27:00
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 03:27:00