Product Chat / Snap mode question

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 09:42 Edited at: 16th Jul 2016 09:45
Explain to me please how it works Snap mode.

I can not understand the principles of this mode.
It operates entirely differently to objects of different sizes and at different angles.
I do not see the logic in this. Identical objects are joined together perfectly, but different at the same length and different widths are not joined to each other at the same angle, and almost joined at an angle of 45 degrees.

The allocation of the number 6 in the image below appears that objects docked with each other but the approach can be seen that this is not so.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 10:04
I agree OldPMan, it could do with a look at. I have made objects snap that should have snaped together, but because I maybe made a hole through one of them it through the snap logic out completely. I would also be great if you could snap angles together too.
Alienware M15x I7 720QM (1.60Ghz 8mb), 8GB Memory, 1GB NVIDIA GForce GTX 260m, 15.6", 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 10), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 11:05
Actually it's not particular difficult, it requires that all models share the same common center point, doesn't matter the size and shape they will always snap with one another.

This picture doesn't explain it that much, but basically each block when exported from the model editor shares the same X,Y,Z center point of 0,0,0 meaning I can snap (press B key twice for grid snapping) them alone or randomly with one another even at angles.

So both your problems were related to items either not sharing the same center.Once you get to grips how the grid snapping works you can, pretty much do anything you like.

Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 11:23
Here is a quick real life example.

Some thing that should be noted, not all items are 45 degree compatible, so it you want some thing to snap at 45 degrees all objects need to be exported at 45 degree angles.

In other words if you export an entity, and then rotate it at 45 degree in the gameguru editor it will not snap correctly or at all, you may require for as in the example to mirror the object so that you have two opposing 45 degree angles for it to correctly snap.

It's double the work and models needed in order to keep compatibility going , stick with one angle and that is it, users will quickly learn that 45 degree snapping isn't possible with entities after a few minutes.

OldPMan
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 12:05 Edited at: 16th Jul 2016 12:07
I'm not sure that the common center is a way out.
There is a set corridor consisting of several elements, let's say that I make them a common center, but it is only one part of the corridor. And if I want to lengthen the corridor and objects do not fit together, what do I do then?

Here's a simple situation, the two parts of the floor without the rotation angle are joined together perfectly, based on them I put the walls, columns, ceiling, and then wanted to continue the construction of the corridor in length, I can no object dock correctly in Snap mode, any of the elements of the corridor is not joined correctly to the already built part. Why? After all, the two parts of the floor are joined properly! But then they start to react to other parts of the corridor and I can not dock anything else.

And this is not the first time when I can not work with objects in the SNAP mode
OldPMan
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Why rectangular objects are not joined to each other. I'm not talking about complex objects. Simple rectangular objects the same width and height but different lengths. Well then understand what the problem is ?
OldPMan
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Earlier, I suggested to add in the GRID mode separation of grid types 1/5/10/50/100 units. But somehow it is not interested in anyone at many docking problems could have been avoided if, in GRID mode could, would move the object by 1 unit and 5 units , and not only on 100 units.
It would be great if it were still in GRID mode mesh size of 0.1 and 0.5 unit , it would be all fabulous.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 13:27
send me PM and I will help you out
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 13:30
Quote: "Why rectangular objects are not joined to each other. I'm not talking about complex objects. Simple rectangular objects the same width and height but different lengths. Well then understand what the problem is ?"
Still require that they share a common center not necessarily 0,0,0....but still grid mode compatible.

Best to send me the models to
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 17:13
Sorted the issue.

Main problem I noticed that the floor and walls was 95 units long and then used the stitch to join them up.All I did was extrude the the wall and floor 2.5 units on each side, don't need the stitch entity now.

However should you wish to retain it the way you want it the stitch needs to be off center as per diagram.

Hope that helps...

Attachments

OldPMan
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I checked, no one other than stitch and columns do not fit together properly.
Also, the width of the floor and walls 91 UNIT instead of 95.
None of the tricks do not help to dock these elements correctly. What have not I tried.
It is striking that a rectangular shape can not be docked.

Another object stitch required for the column object. It is not needed for the docking facilities of the walls.

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 17:57
Check the diagram, and read what I said, the models with the modification (Notice I changed the wall and ceilings to a 100 units) I sent is not compatible with the stitch.If you want to use the stitch with your models you have to export the walls and ceiling like the diagram.The stitch need to be exported off center.

In other words when you place the wall on the grid in the diagram place it directly after the wall and export it with that exact local coordinates, place any models you want to have that specific coordinate in that spot and export, make sure that you export uses the local coordinates in the export setting, and not to automatically center them on export

There is no reason why they shouldn't snap, that way.
OldPMan
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Does not work.
I have done as specified in your scheme.
I'm so has created a number of different sets of differently offset pivot points.
I tried all the options together.
Nothing helps.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 19:27
Quote: "Does not work.
I have done as specified in your scheme.
I'm so has created a number of different sets of differently offset pivot points.
I tried all the options together.
Nothing helps."

No problem will do it the way you intended it to be used

BTW what model editor are you using ?
OldPMan
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Until recently, the simplest elements I used my editor written in DBPro.
So I used my DarkPaint for texturing ( It was written by me even in 2011 ).

But I got hold of an old license 3DMax9, and now I work in it to build more complex models.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 19:48 Edited at: 16th Jul 2016 19:55
Okay bud.

I did it the way you wanted, unfortunately you need to make a few changes.The odd numbered dimensions isn't working correctly.

Change the ceiling and wall length to a 100.
Additionally change the ceiling and walls that is 90 units combine the stitch to the walls and export that as additional wall entity at a 100.

Export the rest as normal, there is no another way around this I think, making a separate entity with the stitch is the best way, and make the walls and floors a 100 units.

Edit that said it does snap with grid mode, But only for the first 2 entities afterwards you can't snap any thing to it.Change the dimensions to a 100 and make one with the stitch and you will be fine

Attachments

OldPMan
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Here DarkPaint 2014.

Video my editor I can not show because it never made videos with him, and now I can not make it on the fact that it is in the editing and there are a couple of errors that I can not keep track of yet.

With regard to my models. I think that I will not change anything, I just ask people whether they want to use as it is?
and if not want to then I will work on creating new models.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 16th Jul 2016 20:12
Wow that software looks great, where can I get it? Did a google search and nothing came up

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
OldPMan
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I am the author of this application and I do not distribute it.
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 11:45
I agree with Belidos that software looks realy nice, are you thinking about distributing / selling it.
Alienware M15x I7 720QM (1.60Ghz 8mb), 8GB Memory, 1GB NVIDIA GForce GTX 260m, 15.6", 64 Bit Operating System (Windows 10), 1 TB Hard Drive.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 12:49
the program is very valuable
I'll be the first buyer
The software I use? ... Autocad, sketchup, Spazio3D, pconplanner, Kerkythea, wings3d, paint.net, torque3d, AxixGameFactory, PD particles.......maybe blender
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 13:02
I think that would be good integrated into the EBE.
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W7 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
OldPMan
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
The application is not finalized by 100%
Perhaps I could, to give it for free to the our Disclaimer because it is not complete.
UV mapping is only suitable for simple low-poly objects, there are no options.

If you are ready to use the application underdeveloped, then I choose that time to deal with this and put it in open access.
But I'm just warning you that in the near future, I have no plans to complete the application.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 17:02
You would be my hero if you did that. I've been trying out similar programs like substance painter etc. but they're all overly complicated, and exporting the correct textures to fit in GG is hit and miss.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
OldPMan
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
OK. I will gather the archive, put on a virtual disk and will create a separate thread for the application on the forum.
It will have to wait 1-2 days.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2016 23:12
Quote: "OK. I will gather the archive, put on a virtual disk and will create a separate thread for the application on the forum.
It will have to wait 1-2 days."

Im'e sure a lot of people will be very grateful,me included.Thank you .

Dave
PM
OldPMan
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a link to a thread with the application.
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/215976

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 03:04:33
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 03:04:33