Product Chat / New lighting tutorial, advanced lighting techniques (lighting part three)

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2016 16:58
http://gamegurureport.blogspot.com/2016/07/technique-evaluation-advanced-lighting.html

In this 'issue' I go over advanced lighting techniques which I use within Game-Guru to create high quality graphics in what is a somewhat primitive lighting engine.

Special thanks to Wolf for his input a few weeks ago after the previous post with respect to the setup.ini file configuration.

Enjoy!
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2016 17:21
thanks for this, just reading now
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2016 19:40
Its your best tutorial yet I really like the additional info on the shadermaps.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2016 20:05
Thanks so much for the kind words
Hopefully this helps everyone make improved lighting in their levels.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2016 20:20
the tuts will definitely help thanks for the guidance
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2016 20:45
Do me a favor and take some pictures of your better attempts so I can see like a before and after (I'll need a before pic too). Thanks!
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2016 01:52
That was another great tutorial, thanks! Between yours and Wolf's lighting insights, I feel a lot more confident with the lightmapper. I've pretty much shied away from it because I thought it was broken, or it was just me, lol. Turns out it was just me since I really wasn't using it correctly, lol. Your website along with Wolf's tutorial should rest in there own main "Tutorials" thread, just below "Product Chat" and stickied, in my opinion. Unfortunately, unless that is done, they will get buried further back in the forum pages! I know there are tutorials around here on other topics as well (unfamilia's come to mind) and if they could all be rounded up and put in there own thread, then many more could benefit and the information would be easily referred to.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2016 02:29
Thanks for the kind words. You just reminded me to update my own page list of tutorials here:
http://gamegurureport.blogspot.com/p/my-tutorialstechnique-evaluations.html
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2016 15:32
Quote: " they will get buried further back in the forum pages! I know there are tutorials around here on other topics as well (unfamilia's come to mind) and if they could all be rounded up and put in there own thread, then many more could benefit and the information would be easily referred to. "

Hey! There used to be a tutorial compilation back in FPSC times. The official community guide.
I'll be too busy the next 10 days but will start to compile one for GG once I have some evenings to myself.

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2016 19:30
I went to see if I could find the mentioned free Voodoo SciFi wall pack, but it's not on the store or under the link in the tutorial. Even Voodoo artist is not on the store. Where can I find this pack? If it's not possible, I'll use some other scifi stuff, it's not a big deal

PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
not sure if its the same item but there's a voodoo scifi pack on gamegurufiles.co.uk

http://www.gamegurufiles.co.uk/models5.html
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2016 21:14
Oh, sorry I've got it on my monster freebie list, but yes, same artist. He's done a ton of free sci-fi assets.

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212111
Those are the ones in question. I find them pretty invaluable for prototyping but there are some issues using them on a regular basis.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 03:12:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 03:12:19