Product Chat / Airships, FXAA, Lens Flare & Other Stuff

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 12th Jun 2016 01:29
There's a few techniques going on in this youtube, still some aspects to work through but getting better:

Added NVIDIA's FXAA 3.11 to the new SAO shader
John Chapman's lens flare is in there too, I know it's not a 'real' effect, but I really like it
A 'vibrance' technique is also added. Not sure about this, got more experimenting to do to see if it adds a consistent 'look' to the game with its use.

Another feature is 'endless terrain' - as you'll know when you get up high or next to a map border, stark reality kicks in with the square map edges, so I'm working on a circular supplemental terrain that kicks in/out when necessary - still a bit basic as you'll see but think it has promise with a bit more work.

And there is the ability to walk around a floating airship whilst it is in flight and translating and rotating its movement. The new GetTerrainHeight command works really well to allow box collision and landing with terrain to be done.

Kalle801
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2016 10:15
Awesome work!
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2016 10:26
wow, like the sounds, HUD, airships etc, clever stuff
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2016 13:11
I'm lovin' it!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2016 16:39
@ cybernescence
Hey mate, do you aready have V 1.14 ?

Nice effects, vibrance nice done, nice flare too.

About "GetTerrainHeight" I am thinking about many ways to apply it, cool addon, perhaps will has to do with AIs walking, different levels.

I've seem you (player) walking over the water, shallow water perhaps?

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi cybernescence,

You said "there is the ability to walk around a floating airship whilst it is in flight and translating and rotating its movement"

It looks like a "floating platform" deplacement ?

How do you do that ? Are you using the latest script from Smallg for moving to mobile platforms ?
It seems that you can move in any direction, even the airship can change direction...

Can you tell us more ?

Thanks !
PM
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice, that's looking pretty awesome
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2016 17:26
@cybernescence : Let me know if you want to work a little closer to solve the jitter when the player is on the airship as I think one or two more LUA commands and you would be able to get a very smooth flight (although the judder almost makes a cool effect to show the vibration of the engine as the airship flies about)
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2016 18:54 Edited at: 13th Jun 2016 18:58
Creating pilotable/drivable vehicles - that would make a great Twitch broadcast!

Awesome work there! Any plans to sell the flying vehicle script in the store? I for one would buy!
Julian
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
@lordjulian,
Replace the flying vehicle by a floating platform... should work using the same script...

@cybernescence,
Any clue about your script ?

@Lee,
Please, could you release some new lua commands as you said (solve the jitter when the player is on the airship)
For me it should be nice to use these new commands to ameliorate the floating platform...
Please confirm that is the same script because floating platform = flying vehicle... isn't it ?

THANKS !
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2016 23:13
Thanks for the encouraging comments guys.

I didn't check smallg's script out but I saw the videos so is likely done in the same way. There is one script that runs the ship for the speed, rotation, height, animations, collision with terrain etc. And another script that tracks the ship and places the player on it, intercepts the WASD & shift keys to add incremental aggregated relative position movements to the origin of the ship. The tricky parts were not for the translation movement of the ship/platform, but for the rotation - keeping the player in the correct spot when the ship rotates and moves forward at the same time. The other tricky bit is tracking where the boundary of the ship is (as there is no collision active) - straight forward if you use circular distance from a central point, but a bit more math required to find the edge points of a rectangle with a bow. Also had to keep track of where the player was on ship to adjust height up the stairs and so can go through the door of the ship to its inside (not shown on video), which is a transport to a hidden interior ship model.

The FXAA addition to the shader is probably not obvious in the video. I hadn't really noticed the jagged edges too much before working on this aspect, but I notice them all the time now with FXAA off. Still fine tuning this.

@lordjulian & @Mariokiki - I'm sure there will be a much easier way to do this kind of thing in the future with GG but as I'm on a mission to create viable airship gameplay by Q1 2017 (amongst other things) I'm putting the hours in now to see how far I can get - don't think its a viable store release given the amount of tuning needed per model.

@3com - It's not shallow water, there's a 'swim' script I released on these forums somewhere (I'll see if I can find the link, if not I'll attach it here again) - for first person only though.

@Lee - I'd be very grateful for anything you could add that would help (and sounds like others would find this useful too). I did kind of hope that the juddering would be passed off as engine vibration during the game as you mentioned, but there again people might just think it's a bit poor (I was being optimistic with that hope perhaps).

Cheers.

Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
@cybernescence,
Thanks a lot for your explanations !

I guess what you have already realized is quite complex calculations ...

I've always made games platforms. Long time ago, using The Game Factory and more recently with DarkBasic Pro, I realized movements on mobile platforms (horizontally and vertically) and it worked perfectly !
Honestly, LUA script appears powerful but lack of such controls and it is more difficult to achieve currently...

I hope Lee will soon be able to work on this type of commands, because I believe that more and more people also await it in order to achieve this kind of game (platforms, flying control, etc..)
Especially as I am very demanding, I'd like this to work for the 3rd person view !!!

Thanks !
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Impressive! Although I'm not sure what you mean about terrain, I certainly can't see any difference? Flying games for me, are really limited with GG unless you disable the terrain, as the terrain is so limited in size. You notice it on high hills never mind flying!

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2016 22:54
Thanks for the comments. You might see it (the replacement) better in this video, instead of terrain in this one there is a replacement/augmented ocean - when up high hopefully you can see circular horizon not square - this periodically follows the players centre so even at edge of map the player view is the same depth of circular horizon. The square terrain and water planes aren't helpful for this type of game play, but slowly finding work arounds.

I'm getting under the skin now of post processing shaders - most of those in this video are ported from NVIDIAs site. Got a bit carried away perhaps but thought the sepia, film scratch and lens flare kind of went together for a 'found footage' vintage effect . Now looking forward to getting the physics/rendering tweaks Lee has done (mentioned in last weeks twitch) to hopefully smooth out the juddering movement of the machines.

Cheers.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, I can see the transition now, nice job! I'd add some fog to obscure the horizon more, even with your massive ocean plane it still looks square. Fog would make it look better (I think)

I can see your getting into shaders nice job adding those as well! Goes to show TGC are missing a few tricks that presumably, they could add in quite quickly! I just blame the voting board

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2016 18:56
@ cybernescence
Nice vintage effect, sepia do the trick, I thought.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 08:54:49
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 08:54:49