Product Chat / Messing about in boats

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 11:45 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2016 11:32
Hi there. Here's a demo of my latest little project. I'm pretty happy with it overall, a few things to iron out I think but mostly good Keep watching as there's more than one script demo here

Here's a setup demo showing how easy to use the finished script is. Hopefully, it should be available sometime later next week. It now has collision with boats and obstacles as well as the terrain and is able to be used several times for several boats at once.

Store link:
https://www.tgcstore.net/product/28035

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Very impressive..
I like it a lot..
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 15:47
Very cool,well done.

Dave
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! Hopefully, when I can use floats the turn should be 100% better Plus Lee has mentioned he will look at adding commands to eliminate the jiggle you always seem to get with this sort of thing Always nice to get extra commands off the back of a good demo!

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 16:34
Nice water travel.
You are right again, the most extra commands the better game demos, out there.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 16:35
I'd pay $30 for those scripts! Gifv Gifv Gifv!

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Great work DVader ...
Opening more doors for GG
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 21:17
I concur with synchro! You really contribute a lot to GG as a whole.

You...also always have somewhat of a bedroom voice going on in your videos. Just saying

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 21:39
Such a relaxing Voice ... Reminds me of Bob Ross haha Nice Video
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 21:52
Love the map! Cheers.
Northern
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 04:32 Edited at: 11th Jun 2016 04:32
Very good, recalled me a Novalogic game titled Joint Operations - typhoon rising, with several islands, rivers and dense forest areas.

Cheers,
Northern
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks all! Some great comments! Bedroom voice? Er.. same as eyes? Or as in fall to sleep, lol? It's odd, I often get told on my channel I sound like people, rarely the same one though, lol. Never heard of Bob Ross, but I'm guessing with Google's help it's the painter? I've been told I sound like Billy Idol on more than one occasion, I've only heard him sing, so couldn't say.

I'll probably put this on the store, but at the moment it would only work with one boat per scene. Having the icons for getting in and out would complicate matters as well from your normal store object. I imagine I will have to look at adding it as a pack to deal with those. Also, the boat is not mine, I got it off the store, as it was pretty much just what I was after. The map, probably not. It requires a lot of work getting the graphics sorted, so not sure it is suitable for the store. It's use-able, but you need to put a fair bit of ground work in before it is much use.

I'm hoping to improve it a bit more in general, but as I've said the main job is done. I was quite pleased I managed to get it working with collision on the boat, as I was having some oddness there originally and ended up turning it off to stop it. The boat would sink immediately or sink oddly after a few seconds on it, very weird issues. Got it going in the end okay though

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 19:11
Have the same problem with my scrolling map, too much extra work for the buyers so can't get it accepted for the store, pity really but the only place the map really exists is in the head of the game creator so there is no way of automating the process (although I got as close as possible), at some point it requires human intervention.

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, at least if you want your map to look like your actual map or a variant on it. It will always be necessary for people to add in graphics themselves. Store items need to be mostly self contained in my experience.

I could automate it with one simple command, although it would be far less customise-able than this one. I could make this so if you haven't found the Island, it doesn't show on the map, whereas if I did it the quick way, that would be impossible. I have found a bug a few times that would be difficult to reproduce. It actually displayed a screen image instead of the sprite I wanted. I must have somehow accessed the data when I was pointing at a place in an array that was incorrect. Cool bug, but at the time I was not particularly impressed, lol, I just wanted my sprite to appear. A command to capture the screen would be the ticket though. It would still be a process, but could be automated then. At the minute apart from finding what that bug was accessing, not possible as yet and I don't think I could trust trying to deliberately use an odd bug

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 21:31
What is important for people to realise, especially those wanting maps 'built in', is that the engine is 3d, maps are by definition 2d! Now it is entirely possible to generate a 2d 'map' from a 3d engine (that is how I did it for my scrolling map) but a map usually does not contain any of the following: characters, vehicles, temporary bulidings, trees and other shrubbery, anything animated, rubbish, collectables, furniture, boxes, crates, barrels etc etc etc. A map only contains features that don't move around a lot, i.e. roads, hills, large buildings (although even then it is just a shape showing the building footprint), rivers, lakes etc.

So my process was simple: Take your finished game level and make a copy of it, then delete from the copy all the stuff that would not appear in a map, especially anything that animates! I then have a Lua script which places the camera way up in the sky pointing directly down, the WASD keys manipulate the camera in the x & z planes. Move over the map from top left to bottom right screen dumping as you go. When finished use Gimp or similar in batch mode to crop the image to produce a map tile, I used 60x60 pixel square tiles, the centre portion of the image is effectively 2d. I then wrote a Lua script that takes those map tiles and produces a scrolling map.

Simples, except I can't sell it on the store because it requires too much work from the buyer!

If anyone cares the Big Escape fpm generates almost 2000 map tiles using this technique and took me a couple of hours to generate the tiles (only the latest version can handle that amount of sprites btw).

If you want a more classic style of 'map', i.e. some sort of parchment affair for a fantasy game something like an OS map then it is virtually impossible to generate automatically, the game creator has to do it, BUT if they do and chop it up into tiles my Lua script would quite happily display it.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 11th Jun 2016 21:45
Quote: "I don't think I could trust trying to deliberately use an odd bug"

Some days that's all I think I am doing ...
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
some nice mechanics there, I'm impressed.

as for the voice, I always thought you sounded a bit like Terry Christian from the word... many moons ago! lol
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2016 13:49 Edited at: 17th Jun 2016 14:06
Looking good Dvader if you was in a ship with a few enemies on the sea and chop/collect wood etc on the islands to build bigger ships you'd have a nicer,similar version of voyage century Lee did say he was looking into the flicker/judder as im doing similar with space. This all is opening up GG to much much more
Intel i5 4950 3.3ghz
8gb Ram
Geforce 210 silent (modified with an angle grinder)
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone! I've worked on it some more since the video and finally have it working with as many boats as needed. Now that of course has added more problems, so I am currently seeing what I can do to sort them out. Not a bug or actual problem as such, but now I can have 2 or more boats, there's suddenly the issue of collision with them as well as the floor. I will be probably having a crack at that later today. I'm hoping I can keep it simple with this part, but probably not

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Just letting you all know it's pretty much finished bar last minute touches or fixes. I will be getting it gamestore ready over the weekend and hopefully it will be on the store sometime next week. I have added a new video on how you set it up and a quick example of it action as well.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2016 18:34
Can't wait!

Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2016 23:39
You get the collision sorted? ive not been able to stop vehicles going through buildings etc yet?
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz
8gb Ram
Nvidia NVS 315 1gb
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Of course! Being a boat though, less to worry about, but all possible for a car as well, but very limited and not really worth it imo as yet. We need more commands to make a ground vehicle work well. For a boat though, it works nicely.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks awesome ! You did a great job with what's available.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2016 20:57
wow, this is impressive stuff, love the boat and the maps and the feet sprite. Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2016 14:14 Edited at: 28th Jun 2016 14:23
Thanks! I've uploaded it now, so just waiting on TGC approval. So everyone should be able to get their hands on it soon!
If you watch the setup video, I mention that the use and exit items need to be hidden. I ended up hiding them by default in the end, so no worries about hiding them in scenery.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2016 14:26
I will definitely be purchasing when it's available for my new game, this is one I can't wait for.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2016 11:27 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2016 11:28
Now available on the store!
https://www.tgcstore.net/product/28035

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2016 20:54
Bought it the moment I saw it go up

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2016 21:25
yes, just purchased, thanks very much for putting on the store and good work
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys! Let me know what you think and if you have any problems. Hopefully not!

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2016 13:40
Absolutely brilliant, didn't quite work out of the box though.

The FPM you supplied as an example has a minor error, it's looking for sprites in the purchased/DVader folder, but they're actually located in the purchased/DVader/Interactive folder. I just had to copy them over into the other folder and it worked perfectly.

I love what you have done with this script though, it works perfectly, a tiny bit juddery, but hardly noticeable, probably the best you would get with the current collision system, great work.

Any chance you could make a version that works on terrain? ie works as a car etc. I'd definitely pay again for that.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure about the error, interactive is a new one to me! Don't have that folder at all. Passed authentication anyway Perhaps it's a new thing with the store. The juddering may be fixed with the next update, Lee thinks he has it fixed. I complained about the judder in my vid, lol.

Probably possible to get it working as a car and I have thought about it. Not sure how GG would handle having collision on everything though. The advantage of water is there's not much to hit

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2016 06:10
I purchased the boat scripts, very good indeed but I get the juddering, but your video looked smooth and fast when in the boat. Hopefully fixed in the next version of GG.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2016 09:28
Quote: "Not sure about the error, interactive is a new one to me! Don't have that folder at all."

It's probably because entities are uploaded into Purchased -> Author Name --> Category chosen now, instead of being dumped into the Author folder, and the FPM was made from your own copy of the entities which isn't in a category folder.

It's no biggy, just needed to copy over the entities to the base author folder and it worked fine, doesn't effect making your own maps, just using your example map.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2016 17:53 Edited at: 20th Jul 2016 20:14
I'll be fixing the issue soon so others don't get the problem. For anyone else who has this and wants to fix it now, just delete the two icons on the demo map and add them back manually from the interactive folder. That way it should have no issues.

Oh, for anyone who have purchased this and like it, consider giving it a thumbs up I tend to notice most people never return to do this even when they really like the script

RE- Car script. I've been playing with little success so far. I got quite close to a basic starting point, but the next day somehow managed to break it completely and no idea what has caused it. I may return to it, but in honesty I'm not sure it is worth the effort for the end result. Even if I get it working, without real physics it's a little limited.

Edit - After posting i had to have another go and am back to the pint I was at. Close but not quite right, I'm sure I will suss the issue soon enough. At the moment I have a car you can get in and drive about, but it is not quite correct with the slopes and such at certain angles.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2016 08:51
Quote: "Oh, for anyone who have purchased this and like it, consider giving it a thumbs up I tend to notice most people never return to do this even when they really like the script "

I didn't even know there was a thumbs up in the store, lol. Something I have noticed in other stores before though, people just don't often go back and thumbs up, you just have to look at websites like amazon and argos, you'll see items that sell by the hundreds and thousands, yet there will only be a handful of reviews or ratings, people are just lazy and once they have spent their money they don't go back unless they have a problem. But I shall go give you a thumbs up shortly

Quote: "RE- Car script. I've been playing with little success so far. I got quite close to a basic starting point, but the next day somehow managed to break it completely and no idea what has caused it. I may return to it, but in honesty I'm not sure it is worth the effort for the end result. Even if I get it working, without real physics it's a little limited.

Edit - After posting i had to have another go and am back to the pint I was at. Close but not quite right, I'm sure I will suss the issue soon enough. At the moment I have a car you can get in and drive about, but it is not quite correct with the slopes and such at certain angles."

Loving this

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, much appreciated I agree, it's a common thing, most people just don't go back once they have purchased an item. Not likely to be added anytime soon, but a feature where you could thumbs up an item from within GG would be a great addition in this regard. Not sure how it would work of course, particularly for scripts rather than items. Perhaps just a feature on the store to remind of items you have previously purchased would be more viable

Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 10:44 Edited at: 29th Jul 2016 11:49
Oh no, the light bulb just went on there's not much to hit in space either!!! lol oh heck i may be able to re introduce the space maps into Dropzone with this so just picked them up to test them over the weekend, Now look what you've done lol EDIT: well it has lots of possibilities lol -> SPACE CRATE

8gb Ram
Nvidia NVS 315 1gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

When Reality is broken. Game designers can fix it and make it more realistic
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 11:39 Edited at: 29th Jul 2016 11:41
Oh just a thought too DVader, another reason people may not thumbs up. There is now a tick option in your account pages to hide purchased items when browsing, that would mean if people wanted to go back and thumbs up after purchasing they wouldn't be able to because they cannot see the item any more unless they go into their accounts and turn that option off.

What I would like to see, and would probably be the easiest option, is on the "view purchases" page, a thumbs up button next to each entry.

Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 11:50 Edited at: 29th Jul 2016 11:51
ahh that's why it disappeared i had to dig to re find it
8gb Ram
Nvidia NVS 315 1gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

When Reality is broken. Game designers can fix it and make it more realistic
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice Honkeyboy, glad to see you have a different use for it
I'll have to check the store for that option Belidos, I certainly haven't checked that myself but It could be default.

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2016 18:37
Quote: "Not sure about the error, interactive is a new one to me! Don't have that folder at all. Passed authentication anyway"

Does you tick "subcategory>interactive" option when submitting?
If so, perhaps store are creating new folder named "interactive ", when model are interactive?

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does you tick "subcategory>interactive" option when submitting?"

Yepp it was that I've since talked to TGC about it. As it's an interactive script I automatically picked it Will be sorting the issue soon along with an image issue I have noticed that needs fixing.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:06:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:06:18