Product Chat / Reset Button

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Interesting Twitch broadcast yesterday all about using the sliders in test game mode. It occurred to me that, having played around with the sliders for a while you might want to restore the default setting. Then you might find yourself in a bit of a pickle.

My suggestion is a "Restore Default" button.
Julian
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2016 13:58
Yes definitely good idea
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 20th May 2016 14:03
I have no idea why this wasn't put in from the start, it's a no-brainer to be honest.

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2016 14:25
Totally agree with that might even cure the lag that develops on some levels
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 01:50
Agreed a set to default option should be added with a prompt asking if your sure if you want to make these changes.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 02:06
I agree as well. I suppose you could just save a backup default visuals.ini file but a button would certainly be easier!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 03:07
great idea
AMD Phenom x4 9850 2.58 Ghz , 6 gb ram, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 750, Win 10 x64

PM
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 04:11 Edited at: 22nd May 2016 04:11
the setting do reset when close guru. the only time they stay the way you set it is if you save the level you are working on. above that I don't fine this being a big deal. you guys want things too easy.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 05:34
Quote: "you guys want things too easy."

Game Guru: the easy game maker. Have you noticed? I'm just kidding with the sarcasm, it's hard to convey in text, but yeah, it really is minor.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 13:07
Add it to the voting suggestion part and may get put up on voting list
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 13:53
lol Jerry Tremble yeah we need to worry about things that will make more of a difference like 3rd person being able to have all it's gameplay mechanics. I know it is a small thing to ask for but it prolongs the things we need in the long run.

science boy anything else gets add to that board and you may never see Infinite Terrain anytime soon.

please guys no more new little things like sao it really does not make things better or easy.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2016 16:55 Edited at: 22nd May 2016 16:59
Quote: "science boy anything else gets add to that board and you may never see Infinite Terrain anytime soon. "

good point mxs, although all these little extras that keep popping in

compass, lots of commands multi media as in models etc etc also other things that are not at the top getting done then some other things getting done because of emailing etc. that is a very tad unfair and i am always told to go to the vote or add a suggestion, so i was merely trying to make things fair, BUT! if it is a 2 minute job, no problem at all. and i forward the idea, i just think then more upon more will start to try this technique to get their extra in before any waiting with votes,i think is a little bit naughty but logical step if it happens for one person why should not others try. so then you start to get congestion and it starts to fill up emails which can take lee a day to get through followed by hundreds of extra requests, so i am looking at it this way infinite may be waiting anyway if we get thousands of little extras that do not seem to follow a set fair diplomatic mission, on its way to alderaan. no flame or anything intended i just see features keep getting in before other ones and so i am just showing concern. and i know that things can happen here and there, but also they are adding lots to appease steam bad reviews, its almost like sort out steam users. just an observation. i may be wrong i have been lot but i am always for fair justice, blimey can of worms anyone! anyway i am ok been busy anyway so it not matter immensely just others wait too and thee things if not follow the FAIR route is out of line. so i am saying no unless 2 minute job but then so other things maybe too on the voting board. but i think screen save the settings, and lets get actual serious things done first
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
This is actually a fairly simple thing to add code wise. I can't see it taking only two mins, that's a bit of a stretch, but I guess you are generalising a little with the time scale SAO being worked on at the moment, seems a reaction to many users saying GG games look like they are from the year 2000 I suspect. From what I have seen it does add quite a lot to a scenes realism.

As far as the voting board goes, at the moment I am amazed at the options at the top. Menu Editing? Really? Why? I can't see any reason it would be so popular. Perhaps there are loads of peeps with finished games, just hanging on editing the menu? I don't know, it just seems bizarre to me. At least it shouldn't take too long to do.

Next is Talking Characters/Quest Givers. Okay, I can understand that one a little more. The only part that makes no sense is that actual quests are 10th in the list. Perhaps that would be done as part of the same thing? Otherwise it's not going to be the greatest use to anyone, apart from possibly lua users. Also if they are linked and both need to be done, then why were they split into different options in the first place?

At least AI is still at the top Personally, I would like to see many things that are definitely in the murky depths of the list. Many of which would be regarded as an engine upgrade. A complete overhaul is higher than most of the others such as tree batching, hardware instancing and unlimited dynamic lights. Are these different to the complete overhaul? Is the complete overhaul a DX11 conversion? Can TGC get the other things working in DX9 with little fuss when DX11 arrives - or would it be drastically different? Obviously the devs have to think of these things when implementing the list, but it probably confuses the average user more than it needs to.

We won't be seeing these anytime soon though, so I welcome the occasional bone being thrown with small features.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
By my count , there are 85 items on the voting board (enough already) . At a projected average completion time of 1 month per feature it will only take 7 years to complete the list.

Sounds like fun....
Windows 10,64 bit|AMD FX-6200 Six-core-3.80 Ghz |CPU PASSMARK 6,142 |Memory 10GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 SC |GPU PASSMARK 4,114
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "At a projected average completion time of 1 month per feature it will only take 7 years to complete the list."

Hmmm... The EBE Will be the time killer .... And then on to AI which Lee plans to Drastically overhaul ( so probably worth it ) with smaller updates in between ....

Menu editing can be done now without to much fuss in fact I find it easier than Classic ... That just never worked for me
Once the big stuff is out the way then perhaps Lee can get the smaller ones in faster ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2016 12:13 Edited at: 23rd May 2016 12:16
Quote: "I know it is a small thing to ask for but it prolongs the things we need in the long run"

I don't see how doing this would delay any current work significantly at all. It looks like it could be a really simple thing to add, the calls to reset the .ini file are already there, the commands to reset the .ini are already there (at least I assume they are otherwise it wouldn't reset when you create a new level), all that is needed is a button on the GUI hooked into the command. I've seen Lee add far more complicated code in less time that it takes me to use the bathroom (in fact he has fixed stuff live on a broadcast before and I literally did miss it by going to the toilet lol).

i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2016 14:24 Edited at: 23rd May 2016 14:30
yes it maybe simple but for every added feature or change to the core may cause a bug and more time to test for it and fix it. it not about how long it will take him to put the feature in it is the bug process that make it take longer. just now we are waiting for the next up date and it is in the test process before it get release which more time to the update. even simple things can cause a problem and that how it prolongs the other things that could be work on now. this feature is not needed now and is not a show stopper. not having a full complete ai system is a show stopper. not having a fully functional 3rd person system is a show stopper. not being able to do other platform games is a show stopper. if all you can do with this engine is make fully functional first person games then it just fpsc with added feature on rails. it is easy to build or make a level it is easy to change the graphics but it is hard to have more interesting gameplay that will make other people want to play your game. guru need to show people it can go beyond as a first person shooter. I get that this engine is easy to use but it also limited to use. a strong foundation of gameplay mechanics is more important than how easy to make for the developer to build a level or change to graphic. we can have those things now and leave the gameplay hanging until next year. then it will be like oh wow it so easy to use but can't complete making a game. also the standalone builder should have more support so it will be easy for those to build their game with many level without going through the process we have to do now. it should be set up like fpsc game builder. see all this focus on the editor just put these things to the side. this is the direction guru needs to go in.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2016 15:20
Except there would very likely be no bug fixing process for a request like this, it's a simple addition of an image button, hooked up to an existing command call, there's almost nothing that could go wrong.

As to the importance of the feature, personally I think it's very important, if I want to test various different settings then i have to remember to save before hand, and each time I tweak it and want to revert it I have to come out of the test environment, reload the map, got back into test, position myself again, remember which settings I didn't want form last time and go through it all again, rinse repeat, that's potentially hours of faffing around which could be reduced to minutes if there was a reset button, yes, to me it's important.

MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2016 16:09
there will always be a test run for bugs even if he thinks there is no bugs it is a must to test before release that is the most common thing to do. also the command would have to have a memory bank created for the default setting for all the sliders then he would have to make sure it work properly just like the save and load. I'm not saying this should not be in the engine all but it's not important to have now. we made this far without it. plus the smart way would be to create your level first then save it. then play with the settings if you don't like the settings then just reset the level by re opening the level you saved and everything will be at default setting. as long as you don't save the level with the change settings it can always reset to default settings. plus you can save a back up version the same level and just play around with the settings with the other file of the level. see there so many work around solutions to this without Lee adding anything. this what I do and have no problem with it. just how I got the laser to work in guru I look for a solution. but this different from that because it just an default setting button that could be not need if we use precaution to avoid messy things like this.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2016 17:11 Edited at: 23rd May 2016 17:12
It would be tested , yes, along many other things. Lee doesn't just work on one feature at a time. It really isn't a big deal and would take very, very little time. In fact it would take far less time than I have spent reading through all these posts

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2016 17:42
I'm never going to agree with and I know that I am out voted on this. to add a button to the slider system that can be avoided be by just using a precaution solution to keep Lee from adding in another code to the core. yes Lee does not add one feature at a time I know that which means there will most like be a bugs anyway. there is a cause and effect for everything added. I rather it be something that makes a difference in gameplay and not editing.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2016 17:43
Quote: "also the command would have to have a memory bank created for the default setting for all the sliders "

Except it wouldn't because it is already there in the routine the engine uses when you start a new level, it already defaults those settings, all is needed is a button to force the exciting routine to run.

Quote: "but this different from that because it just an default setting button that could be not need if we use precaution to avoid messy things like this."

True it can be worked around, however that work around extends the time you are working on it by a lot. The other night I was testing out one of my models under different settings to see if there were any issues with it, it took me over two hours, if I didn't have to keep reloading the map every time it would have only taken about 20 minutes, half hour at the most, that's an hour and a half extra I could have been doing other things.

Quote: "It would be tested , yes, along many other things. Lee doesn't just work on one feature at a time. It really isn't a big deal and would take very, very little time. In fact it would take far less time than I have spent reading through all these posts "

Exactly.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-26 07:40:30
Your offset time is: 2024-06-26 07:40:30