Product Chat / 3rd person shooter in guru

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2016 16:42
Hi all.... I finally got what I always wanted to work in guru. in the best of both world laser tracer and a 3rd person shooter. I'm at the point where I can finally write a good review about guru on steam now that I got this set up. I did want to tell people about this engine because I knew I myself could not accept this engine as good when I could not even see myself making a game with this engine. between performance bad lighting and no gameplay game mechanics this wad just wrong. how could I say good things about something when all it is.. is easy to use. with a new editor builder in the works I fine myself waiting another to do something with this engine. I and other people who will play guru game don't an easy editor builder when it is already easy to use. I want to make games that I could not make on fpsc means no more fps games this time around. sorry but that style of gameplay is getting old to create. using only guru characters and other models is not the best way for me. so as you can see how say how great this engine is when there is nothing great about it. but now with a lot of my time and patience I manage to get what I want to work out of the engine. I don't just want to tell people about this engine I want to show them what can be done. words don't mean anything if you have nothing to back them up with. I care don't care what others did with guru those are just pics of games that with never the day of light no time soon. when people look at AGK they see finish and well put together games from that engine. and none of the games look the same. that's what I want to bring to the table with guru. so now for the first time I have high hopes for this project and I know it won't get as far as I would like it to but it's better than making another fps. anyway this is just a quick look I'm not planning on using the bond1 models. no more horror games. also I compare guru graphics with fpsc in the pics.

more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 7 home premium 64bit gtx770 sc acx 2gb gpu boost 2.0

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 4th May 2016 16:52
That's pretty good. How did you get around the "shooting yourself when firing while walking" issue?

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2016 17:25
@Belidos thanks. it's all about the animation. the problem with the wizard is the game mechanics is not set right for it. in this case I had to to choose a character that will work with the game mechanics in which this guy had it all. jump strafe run walk aim walk and aim. everything about the game mechanics in guru is basic. since the melee or gun don't work right I'm force to use the projectile. but in my case I'm not mad since I want to make a scifi game anyway.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome !!
I hate you
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2016 17:59
well done indeed, i love the lazer. i believe an edited fireball. anyway 10/10 and good point about fps. i see many possible scenarios, platform 3rd person etc. racing and space will be good too, i think this is a waiting game for many. but i do rewally like what you have done.
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2016 19:06
here is an up close personal look. imagine making a game like dead space with guru.

@synchromesh thanks.lol

@science boy thanks. yes you are right because once again guru limitation is it can only read those projectile names. but if you seen my other thread you would know I been playing with this for awhile.

I'm going to still go for the top down look because it helps the performance and better gameplay. more to come on this but if all works out expect a WIP for the first time from me.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Fantastic work .... I cant wait for Lee to implement 3rd person for all characters ...
This is an awesome preview of what will be possible .... I'm adjusting my vote all to this I think
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2016 20:35 Edited at: 4th May 2016 20:37
Quote: "it's all about the animation"

interesting, i had considered this when i noticed it was possible to shoot yourself while jumping straight up but forgot, good to see someone confirm it... although it might also just be the fact that you're using a projectile - which work very differently to the standard gun code (the RPG and fireball both already work fine in TPV)

the video is impressive

bit unfair to compare AGK with GG though, AGK will of course create different games as it gives you nothing but a simple to learn and use language for beginners, there's no starting map to copy/edit unlike with GG... however i agree AGK is a nice program and i'm looking forward to seeing the day when GG can give us half as many scripting options as something like AGK can give.
dont forget that AGK requires a lot more work to make a full game compared to GG.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2016 21:33 Edited at: 4th May 2016 21:34
@smallg Hi.. you misunderstood me. I am in no way comparing guru with agk. what I mean is the reason why agk is so popular and successful is because it have a wide range of platform and finish games. this is why I am so hard guru to have a successful fan base. but for that to happen it needs more gameplay mechanics and wide it's range of platform games to show off. most people here this forum used fpsc did the whole first person shooter platform thing but that is going to get played out quick with guru. if tgc wants more positive reviews then people need to see more improvements. no one wants a repeat of fpsc. so by give guru more gameplay mechanics now help to over look this is anything like fpsc. now about the projectile it does work different then the normal gun because the core code is set up to use the projectile in 3rd person but melee and the gun is not. this is why you shoot your self. melee also does not respond to the command by default.

@synchromesh it would be also good to vote for Platformer Games as well.

also 3rd person depends on ragdoll as the death animation for the most part. guru is like a puzzle with missing pieces.

seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2016 00:06
The only reason i bought guru is because it advertised 3rd person view. Right now guru is just classic with outdoor levels instead of indoor. Your video got me very excited!
gamer, lover, filmmaker
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2016 00:52
@seppgirty thanks. yes see that's what mean some new and old user did not buy this engine for the first person shooter gameplay. imagine resident evil style gameplay with inventory option which on the voting board. when you start setting all these game mechanics in place in guru making a 3rd person game will be easy and fun.

0Alemar0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2016 03:49 Edited at: 5th May 2016 16:18
well import my own model and weapon at engine, and this work , easy , with easy acess to choose my characters animations and sync with controls, and, a easy way to put a gun in his hand ,in a visual mode, and he walk , run , jump and shoot, is my first request since I was a old gold pledger... kkk ok I´m a patience person...
anyway this is a nice job MXS , and prove we can have some solutions right now...
www.alemargames.com
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2016 07:17
excellent video, very interesting. Great use of the fireball projectile. Brill job. I have reviewed and updated my votes. You are right there are not enough game play mechanics yet in place but I do hope to make a game with GameGuru some day.

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2016 12:04 Edited at: 5th May 2016 12:32
Quote: "yes see that's what mean some new and old user did not buy this engine for the first person shooter gameplay. imagine resident evil style gameplay with inventory option which on the voting board. when you start setting all these game mechanics in place in guru making a 3rd person game will be easy and fun."

This is kind of what I have been waiting for also in GameGuru ... I think it would increase GG's selling potential as well ..
Perhaps if enough of us vote it up then 3rd person for all characters could be implemented along with the AI on all levels or at least very soon after
At the moment under Menu editing ..... Really ..... Is that the next best thing ...Would users rather have that than this ???
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2016 13:33
The laser effect is super, well done on the video and getting your third person characters working! The projectile system has been coded for multiple types, but it's not the most user-friendly right now. I think once this part has been externalized as LUA, and we add a few more flavors of projectile and ranged weaponry such as arrows, lasers and particle weapons (such as flame throwers) it should provide a lot more gameplay opportunities.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Flame Throwers ...
Drooling !!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good from the videos. 3rd person certainly is something that should be ahead of some of the features currently in the high spots. I would personally like to see the character creator make 3rd person characters as an added option. That would help most people out in getting different characters in game ready to roll.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 5th May 2016 18:30
Looks great MXS!

re
Quote: "this is why you shoot your self."

Move the TP character out of the way by using, say Camera X Offset = 16 and it works OK. The reticle is too high, but you can hide that with Show Reticle = No and put your own on in the correct position with a sprite.

This method working OK for me, using the colt1911.

Cheers.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2016 02:30
here I show you any and every character can work in 3rd person. this include character creator.

I think this the way TGC will go about making every character 3rd person. there will be an option in the character creator that will allow to choose if we want the character we make to be an enemy or an 3rd person. imagining putting your face on the character you created and making your self the hero or a friend face in your game. once this gets going guru will become more popular engine.

Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2016 19:08
If you're interested in using the racast option I have nailed down the crosshair positioning to make it accurate. You do however have to place the character a bit to the left or right as not to have the shot hit their body. Just place your targeting reticule in the center position of the t. Hope this helps further 3rd person development.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2016 01:56
@cybernescence & Disturbing 13 thanks guys but I'm good. I already know about this but did not like or think it would be best to wait on Lee to make it work right. I am more about the laser effect and happy with that. I just want to express my work on 3rd person where it is at. but to bad 3rd person death animation depends on the ragdoll. I ready hate the ragdoll system and feel it just in the way. that just my opinion and don't expect others to feel the same. I miss the small updates a feature added in here and there than waiting on an entire makeover. it's just the small features that would make things little more easier.

MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2016 16:18
I got the characters to shoot laser. using the fpscx10 characters.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I just love this .... Roll on 3rd person for all characters ...
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good MXS. I assume this is actual lua coding rather than a mere FPE change. I've taken control over before, but in a different way. If it is only FPE changes plus weapon mods, then more power to you!

I think the latest update has a good few extra commands and hope this trend continues as it will add so much to GG.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it's changing the projectiles, you shouldn't need to do any scripting.
Looks great though, when we get the ability to change the projectiles without overwriting the default this should definitely be added
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Dev911
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2016 09:41
This is definetly necessary, they should allow us to make any character thirdperson and also be able to change the wizard magic stick for other kind of weapons maybe melee if projectile stills not working
PM
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2016 13:21
don't worry guys I already email Lee about this and told him how it would be nice to make our own projectiles and how this holding me back from releasing it. I also have a arrow projectile. yes it is all fpe. also all characters can be in thirdperson now. I will release the fpe.

0Alemar0
Years of Service
User Offline
wow thats nice and this kind of pre configurated mecanic that we need...
www.alemargames.com
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2016 13:55
Quote: " also all characters can be in third person now. I will release the fpe."

I can't wait! I'll start using guru again when this is possible.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2016 17:26
Indeed that will be terrific!
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
That will be fantastic ..
PM
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
That would be fantastic indeed, cant wait to see this in GG
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2016 02:11
Thank you, that is awesome!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2016 05:17
Hey guys, I've something not too clear here:
I've readed here about chars does not having the needed anims to be TPV, so how one fpe file can change this?
In another words, if some chars does no have the needed anims 4 jump, one fpe file can make him jump?

@ MXS
Love people working "out of the box", so, please keep up!

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2016 22:04
3com any character you create in character creator uses guru default animation so they all have jump animation in them. the way character create is made by making the character set for enemy mode. in which I can see there will be two modes in CC (character creator). enemy will set the animation like it does now and 3rd person mode will set the animation like the way I have it now. Bond1 put all those animation into one model for a reason and it is clear now why they are set for that. also if anyone have notice TGC is doing away from the Xfile default models from CC and their characters in TGC model packs. so you are not able to take any of those model to another engine which will make them exclusive to guru only. like the characters models in the scifi pack. the more I dig into guru the more out side of the box I think.

they way I plan to release the fpe as a template fpe. so all you have to do is copy the character code to the template you make in CC. now for the projectile I plan to make a bullet projectile instead of the laser so you can use the pistol gun for your third person. imagine you are making a game resident evil style. Or how about Contra style with over head view. this is where my mind is with guru and this is how I want to word to see guru. not another fpsc with more features. guru does have until next year to feel more complete as this engine is being bad mouth in other place on the internet. reviews are going to help much if they seem more like lies from fan boys.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2016 22:19
Quote: "also if anyone have notice TGC is doing away from the Xfile default models from CC and their characters in TGC model packs. so you are not able to take any of those model to another engine which will make them exclusive to guru only. like the characters models in the scifi pack."

Not sure what you mean there, I've just looked at my sci-fi pack character kit parts and they're all in .X

i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2016 22:46
Belidos yes they use those xflies I said that wrong. they are not using the normal one part model xfiles. notice how the head and body is not connected. they are no longer rigged as one whole model. they are being create by CC. thanks for catching that.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2016 23:12 Edited at: 6th Jun 2016 23:38
Ah I see what you mean. You mean that the actual characters in the sci-fi pack (not the character creator ones) are in two separate meshes.

I get you now.

I'm not sure if it was to make them exclusive, it was probably because they wanted them in the character creator as well and it w\s easier to make one set of models and make changes in the fpe's etc than it was to make two separate sets of models.

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2016 04:10
@ MXS
Now I got it, thanks for elaborate it.

CC needs to mature a little more, more variety of chars; I myself abandoned western projet because not western chars, like sheriff, barman, cowboys, farmers, etc.

Wild west game with a terrorist like sheriff, does not match.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
lauranoakesleo66
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 23rd Jul 2016 10:20
Hi MXS,

Fantastic achievement!

Truly inspirational work, as some or many of us wait for these features
still needing to be implemented in.

However you did it, That's awesome!!

"GameGuru" in my opinion is coming along quite vastly!

I struggle to keep up,

@everyone else, thank you to all those member's who have help
PM
Merries59
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey all checking back in to see how the progress is going on 3rd person, has there been an easier way yet to set them up? Thanks
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2016 10:31
Quote: "Hey all checking back in to see how the progress is going on 3rd person, has there been an easier way yet to set them up? Thanks"

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/216018

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:02:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:02:35