Product Chat / Construction Kit vs Easy Building Editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Now that there's finally a tiny chink of light at the end of the very long tunnel of "build tool editor wait", it seems the right time to post this.

We've all seen those old videos about the now shelved 'Con Kit'. It seems the Easy Building Editor will be a reimagining of that, but what are the key differences going to be?

Also, (dare I ask) when do you expect to implement it?
Julian
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 20:38
It will be done when it is complete is the best answer I have. Have not seen it in testing, dont even know if it is started other then what it was before and you dont want that.

So hopefully it will be different.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
I liked Lee's comments in a recent Twitch video about being able to just "draw a room and add windows and doors", from that I would expect to see a FPSC type of building mode added and maybe segments reintroduced, that would be awesome

or a prefab editor, like character creator & model importer where we can make buildings and they get added to entitybank, either way or another is good for me, just not a in-game thing like Construction Kit, it looked cool but we should not have to run the level to continue building it, that would be a step backwards!
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2016 08:44
The easy building creator will not be the same as construction kit, that idea was removed as it went down very badly with beta testers. The new system hasn't been started yet and will not make an appearance for at least a month if not longer. You will have to wait for Lee to make an announcement on the timescales.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2016 09:06 Edited at: 15th Apr 2016 09:12
I can assume it will be a load of improvements on to the snapping system. Currently its not possible to click and hold (draw) wall entities and such. You have to hold shift and click every time. Maybe the voting item called "Grids" will come in to play here as well. Since its hard to tell what snap mode im on sometimes. I believe there are 3 modes? Either way I'm quite pleased the what item is next on the list. Hopefully AI follows. Since we'll probably need to sort out some type of navmesh system for interior spaces.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
No doubt Lee has a plan
He seems to know already in his head the kind of thing we would like to see .... I know hes really keen to get started asap
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2016 13:53
You're all hovering around the right lines I have a few ideas I want to play with, but the serious napkin sketching begins Monday
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 13:36
I know people complained about the fpsc classic editor, but i love the dang thing. It is the easiest level creator i have ever used. I would like to see it brought over to guru. I bought segment auto welder just so i could build levels with classic and use them in guru and other engines.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 14:45
Quote: " I have a few ideas I want to play with, but the serious napkin sketching begins Monday "

I like that .

Dave
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
The paraphrase, "Work on the easy building editor starts in earnest" (Lee, last week) rings in my ears and is music to them!
Julian
PM
mint sandcastle
Years of Service
User Offline
My attempts at building construction came unstuck partly because I couldn't hide the joins between the blocks. Also other weird glitches to do with normal maps I couldn't get a grip on.

Anyway it would be cool to see some sort of procedural generation or grammar system. So that different buildings or styles of buildings could be blended together. Imagine you have a castle on a hill and you spray a village onto the hillside. Each building a variation on a theme.

Something that lets people make the most out of a limited set of parts without it looking repeatative. Maybe defining an area and subdividing it to add detail rather that starting at the ground and building up block by block.

Sorry if I've gone on about this before. I want to see where this goes though for sure.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I actually liked the idea of the original constructor. At least as an in game tool that could be used for in game building, rather than for constructing a game. Very useful for a survival type game where you collect resources and use them via the construction mode to build houses or bases etc. Still, I'm interested to see how the new approach goes.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 03:34 Edited at: 20th Apr 2016 03:37
Quote: "I actually liked the idea of the original constructor. At least as an in game tool that could be used for in game building, rather than for constructing a game. Very useful for a survival type game where you collect resources and use them via the construction mode to build houses or bases etc. Still, I'm interested to see how the new approach goes."

I agree. A good example is in Fallout 4. Worked exactly the same as the construction kit:

I couldn't see myself using this style of building design outside of a game. Would work really nice as an in game feature.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 10:09
My feeling was that it just took too long to create a multi-level building, and the first person perspective would not be universally liked by those who want to float about and have an almost top down view of the construction. I am not planning to resurrect the construction kit code, it was written by someone else and would be a bit of a journey to learn it. In my experience, writing it from scratch is usually faster and better for the long term
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 11:05
Just hope the building editor, will include stuff like Fence Creation, like you would place down 1 fence panel, click and drag to add more and more. Also maybe a road system. A bit like S2Engine which looks nice but is far to complex I think.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.
Sanguis
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 11:17
For Multilevel Buildings it would be great just to coby the lower level construction and then modify it.
Alienware 17R3 Laptop - Win10 - 16GB Ram - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - Intel® Core™ i7-6820HK
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 11:25 Edited at: 20th Apr 2016 11:26
copy and paste of a group of entities would be a great feature. Especially if we had the option to Save the group of entities as, for example, GroupEntity Folder and reload them into a different level.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 11:49
The FPSCFR Con Kit actually looks pretty awesome to me, it's exactly want, although to be very honest, you can do the creation aspect in the current editor without a kit, you just need the blocks, so I won't be too unhappy if it's not that kind of creator.

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 11:56 Edited at: 20th Apr 2016 11:58
Looking at that video now I can see its was a pretty fiddly process in fact its easier to place modules like we already can in top / down or free flight.
The only difference being we have to buy the said module pack that probably loads of other users have also purchased ..

I'm not sure how this is going to be done but no doubt it will
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Lee, I can understand that, I hate using other peoples code as well. It's normally easier to write your own version when you will have to work on it a lot. Even more important when you are actually letting OTHER people use the final product

However, I would like to point out that having something like that built in to GG would certainly help sales. Being able to call a built in scene editor in game would be a big plus for many. In fact I thought you were doing it that way because you had plans to add in that functionality. I was sad to see it dropped in the end, as it was in progress for awhile and then poof! Gone.

Good luck with the new editor and as I said before am looking forward to what you come up with.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2016 15:40
Yes as I've learnt over the years not a big fan of grabbing someone else's code and building on it ugh......... although I quite liked the FPSCR conkit
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
SounDesign
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm kind of seeing a split into two principal elements:

In game placement enhanced editor
- easy repetition for walls/fences etc
- colouring, shading, texturing including import feature for custom textures) of modules/elements

Spin out of game (like Character Creator)
- using modular approach to construct buildings
(though it could actually be used to create other inanimate objects (remember that funky helicopter?))
- ability to save the new composition so it could be used in multiple scenes/games
(avoid having to try recreate - re-usability is key)
- ability to take a saved composition and re-imagine it so optimise but retain elemnt list so it could be broken apart again

And whilst not critical initially, probably needs to be 'designed on' from the beginning - destructible elements. Maybe all it needs for now is a flag 'set up' set to 0 and not used for now, but at a later stage be able to invoke it.

My 2P worth...? :-|
PM
Stefos
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2016 00:46 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2016 00:55
https://youtu.be/SzfMvE2PvR4
The Construction Kit which was advertised in the above video "probably the most exiting creative part of reloaded" I am not sure why there is a lot of negativity about the old Construction Kit in Reloaded by the developers, but I personally found it one of the most exiting planned features of Reloaded and was the deciding factor in me buying the software at Gold Level. After so long I am still waiting for that feature to be added, I am pleased that at last the feature will be added, however I can not help feeling that if the new building system is far from what was seen in the video above (The Construction Kit) I am sure there will be a of people who will feel a little cheesed off. This Construction Kit system was offered and then was removed, the leader board shows that people want the constructor in their software, let us hope that whatever the developers decide to now do that they offer something that the video above advertised "the most exiting creative part" because those of us who bought Reloaded are still waiting for the most exiting part of GameGuru!
AuShadow
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2016 01:06
The beta testers that tested the construction kit itself will all tell you why it was abandoned. It was horrid to use and one had to load test mode every time they wanted to change or fix something. I am certain the new design will be far better off.
PC Specs: Windows 10 home 64-bit, Amd 7900 3gb DDR5 graphics, 8gb DDR3 Ram, Intel i7 3.4ghz
Kalle801
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2016 16:52
any news of the con kit?

I really want any kit for building into the game
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "any news of the con kit?"

Called the EBE now ... ( Easy Build Editor ) Check out all the news and voting board ..... Its WIP as we speak ..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
EBE... Sounds like the name of the alien in a youtube Area 51 conspiracy video

Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2016 23:45
True! And for a good reason:

Extraterrestrial
Biological
Entitiy

= EBE
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate

Login to post a reply