Product Chat / Need help in something small.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to know how can i import 3-15 seconds of either a voice record or a Music to my game, Like what do i need to get them working in game guru (File type) ? How do i change file type for example my voice record or Mp3 how do i change it to the required in GG ? any thing else i should know or everything to import a record or music into GG ?

How do i import an object i made into GG (with steps if possible please) ?

And what while do i choose when i download this
https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/car/sport/subaru-brz-fa20-2014#_=_
Subaru_BRZ_FA20_2014.3ds.zip (798 KB) Download
Subaru_BRZ_FA20_2014.dae.zip (3.09 MB) Download
Subaru_BRZ_FA20_2014.fbx.zip (2.8 MB) Download
Subaru_BRZ_FA20_2014.igs.zip (333 Bytes) Download
Subaru_BRZ_FA20_2014.max.zip (1.8 MB) Download
Subaru_BRZ_FA20_2014.mtl.zip (503 Bytes) Download
Subaru_BRZ_FA20_2014.obj.zip (1.91 MB) Download
Subaru_BRZ_FA20_2014.skp.zip (4.19 MB) Download
Subaru_BRZ_FA20_2014.stl.zip (2.2 MB) Download
Subaru_BRZ_FA20_2014.wrl.zip (687 KB) Download
Product details

And last question when i try to import a file from this site here. http://www.sweethome3d.com/freeModels.jsp the GG rejects the file.obj and simply don't take it .. so did i do any thing wrong ?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 20:43
The model format GameGuru uses is .X, you will need your model to be exported as .X before you can import it into GG. I've also heard the old 3DS format works too, but I've not tried it yet.
i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
As X ?
What is X .. i saw it in the GG files .. should i just rename it as X ? or what ?
PM
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know any thing about exporting , Importing .. Like how do i change a file extension from .Obj to .X ? And i saw 3 other files required in every object so it can run properly ? How do i make those weird files .. please help me with explanation cause i have 0 experience .
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 21:08 Edited at: 28th Feb 2016 21:11
You have to import it into a modelling program (something like blender, 3ds max, sketchup etc), edit it and export it out as a directx .x file, then use the model importer in the file menu of gameguru to bring it into gameguru.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 21:30 Edited at: 28th Feb 2016 21:31
As a reminder to all. the requirements of media for importing into GameGuru are in the docs folder. There is quite a lot of info there. Open and read it please.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Fendrik
Years of Service
User Offline
@RvD:
".x" is a specific format that is used. Some programs can export a model (i.e. a mesh) in that format. It was - if I'm not mistaken - developed by Microsoft over a decade ago (or at least it doesn't seem to have seen any update for that long).

The ".obj" format was originally developed by Wavefront and is one of the most common formats (although it does have some significant limitations).

Other formats (such as .FBX or .DAE) are imported / exported by other 3D programs.

Does that help clarify it a bit ?

Cheers,
Fendrik
PM
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "".x" is a specific format that is used. Some programs can export a model (i.e. a mesh) in that format. It was - if I'm not mistaken - developed by Microsoft over a decade ago (or at least it doesn't seem to have seen any update for that long).

The ".obj" format was originally developed by Wavefront and is one of the most common formats (although it does have some significant limitations).

Other formats (such as .FBX or .DAE) are imported / exported by other 3D programs.

Does that help clarify it a bit ?

Cheers,
Fendrik"

Yes it does clarify alot thank you.
PM
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You have to import it into a modelling program (something like blender, 3ds max, sketchup etc), edit it and export it out as a directx .x file, then use the model importer in the file menu of gameguru to bring it into gameguru."

Perfect i will try it out now thank you again.
PM
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As a reminder to all. the requirements of media for importing into GameGuru are in the docs folder. There is quite a lot of info there. Open and read it please."

Okay thank's pirate myke
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 22:07
Quote: "It was - if I'm not mistaken - developed by Microsoft over a decade ago (or at least it doesn't seem to have seen any update for that long)."

It's a funny situation with the .x format. It's hard to explain so I might be getting it totally wrong, but because it's part of DirectX it doesn't need to be updated because it references DirectX so when DirectX is updated the .x format gets an indirect update. That's the great thing about the .x format, (and probably why it was chosen as the first format for GG) it's kind of up to date all the time.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 22:16 Edited at: 28th Feb 2016 22:18
Quote: "That's the great thing about the .x format, (and probably why it was chosen as the first format for GG) it's kind of up to date all the time."

Probably that and 10 years of community .x models that users have collected and bought and would want to use in GameGuru as well I would imagine
Its very easy to get them in
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 22:19 Edited at: 28th Feb 2016 22:20
I'm just going to add a bit to what Belidos said and give you the basic structure for entities in Game Guru-

First navigate to the entity folder
and create a new folder for yourself and name it something y can keep track of. In this folder you will need these items-
1. your model in .x form
2. The model texture in .dds format
3. Normal map texture in .dds format
4. Specular map texture in .dds format
5. a 64x64 pixel picture of your model in .bmp format
6. and finally an FPE file that controls all of the above.

I'll explain each one.
1. Download the .obj version of the model you want. If .x is available get that one but most models on free sites are .obj. If you don't have a modeling program download blender-it's free. In most modeling programs when you click file there is an import button; use it to import your model. There should also be an export button; once the model is in the program, export it as a .x format. That should take care of the model.

2. Most Models have a texture that accompanies it. Whatever the format you need to convert it into a .dds format. GG uses 3 textures to render your model in game. - a texture, a normal map, and a specular map. If your model doesn't come with these textures you will need something like ShaderMapPro. It's inexpensive and works wonders. If you can't get this program you can use blank normal maps and a solid black texture for the specular map. If you don't have an art program that exports to.dds download DXT1 Bmp - its free. Again you can import your textures and export them as a .dds format. The texture structure needs to be lain out like this- (replace the word texture with your models texture name)
texture_D.dds This is your diffuse or basic texture

texture_N.dds This is your normal map (the weird purpleish pinkish one) (This one is not always needed if you don't have it)
texture_S.dds This is the mainly black one with some white in it sometimes. (This one is not always needed if you don't have it)

3. See above.
4. See above

5.This is your models icon. It must be named the same as the .fpe file. It is simply a 64x64 pixel .bmp of your model. If I'm not mistaken I believe if you use the import model function of Game Guru, it will create one for you.

6. This is just a text file that has the .txt changed to .fpe. You can alter it with a basic microsoft text editor. One will be created for you when you use the Game Guru model importer.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Wow , a lot of replies in the time it took me to write this. most covered what I said.

RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 22:19 Edited at: 28th Feb 2016 22:20
sec i will read all this xD
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 22:20
Here is the thing, If the model is not prepped properly before you export it to any format, It wont work. It is not harder to get things into programs from X file, then it is for any other model format. Except, that you always have to prep the model in a model program or convert it somehow.

Soon when we get FBX format, you will see that just as many will still have the same issues. As to when you import animated stuff and the arms end up backwards. You will need to fix it or discard it. Or it is the wrong scale, you will need to fix it. Or the verticies look like tin foils because someone modeled it with over 22000 polys, or over 63 bones. They will need to be fixed or discarded. Would not matter what format you are using then.

It is your model practices not the format that is stopping you from getting things into game guru.
There are over 8000 items in the store, and they are all from xfiles, so it is not a format that is as dead as people claim it is, or so bewildering that you need a computer science degree to make it work.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ". If you can't get this program you can use blank normal maps and a solid black texture for the specular map. If you don't have an art program that exports to.dds download DXT1 Bmp - its free. Again you can import your textures and export them as a .dds format. The texture structure needs to be lain out like this- (replace the word texture with your models texture name)
texture_D.dds This is your diffuse or basic texture

texture_N.dds This is your normal map (the weird purpleish pinkish one) (This one is not always needed if you don't have it)"

Am sorry but my brain stopped here.. I don't get any thing from this point
Here is what i did .. I downloaded the z.obj file and imported it to blender, Then exported it as z.x and imported it to GG where it created 3 files - Fpe -dbo -and that random png that i found on my desktop and used it as my texture.
What happened is it got uploaded successfully .. but when i spawn i can't see it.
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 22:28
Game Guru does not recognize .png format. They must be .dds

RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Here is the thing, If the model is not prepped properly before you export it to any format, It wont work. It is not harder to get things into programs from X file, then it is for any other model format. Except, that you always have to prep the model in a model program or convert it somehow.

Soon when we get FBX format, you will see that just as many will still have the same issues. As to when you import animated stuff and the arms end up backwards. You will need to fix it or discard it. Or it is the wrong scale, you will need to fix it. Or the verticies look like tin foils because someone modeled it with over 22000 polys, or over 63 bones. They will need to be fixed or discarded. Would not matter what format you are using then.

It is your model practices not the format that is stopping you from getting things into game guru.
There are over 8000 items in the store, and they are all from xfiles, so it is not a format that is as dead as people claim it is, or so bewildering that you need a computer science degree to make it work."

As much as GG was ment to be easy .. it's not when you want to create an advanced game it's a great engine for great games.. it gets harder when a total begginer who knows nothing about any thing in scripting , modeling .. steps in the field .. and plans to make an intermediate level game .. What happens is this 17 years old kid .. stumbles in many bad things along the way xD Like as you see , i asked in scripting , modeling , sound , Store .. etc .. iam that annoying kid .. but i promise after all my questions and wasting many many generous people who responded to me time.. i will give a great list of credit when i create my first level xD and i promise it will be a good level
PM
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Game Guru does not recognize .png format. They must be .dds"

yep ur right but it says item type PNG.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 22:32
UV mapping and set the transforms, ctr A or something, not a blender person, but I think Jerry Tremble explained it.

Belidos may be able to provide the answer on the transform reset in blender and its shortcut keys. He is getting pretty proficient in that program.

Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 22:32
just convert your .png with DXT1 Bmp here is the link to get it-
http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "ust convert your .png with DXT1 Bmp here is the link to get it-
http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm"

converted the PNG to DDS .. and re-imported my file again .. still it's invisible i can see it in the editor over view on the map .. but when i spawn it's not there.
PM
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 22:47
did you delete the .dbo?

RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "did you delete the .dbo?
"

no replaced it with the new one.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 06:18 Edited at: 29th Feb 2016 06:19
As Myke said, one thing you need to do in blender is before export highlight it all in object mode, then press ctrl+A and select scale, this sets the scale of the model.

As to why it is not appearing, try zooming right in close then placing it, it may just be way too small, if that's the case go back into blender, in object mode highlight all parts of the model (tap A a couple of times until everything is highlighted) then press N, on the menu that comes up find the scale section and change it all to x=100 y=100 z=100, then set the scale with ctrl+A again, export it (make sure the model is highlighted when exporting) and try it in game, if that works then just keep changing the scale until you are happy.

Make sure every time you update the model you delete the dbo file in the folder the old copy is in or it doesn't reset the cache in gameguru.

I have to head out to work now, but when I'm on my break i'll write up a more detailed guide on blender to gameguru.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 06:52
just saw this thread, sometimes if model not appearing in GameGuru most likely model name in the .FPE file is wrong....just a guess
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 08:34 Edited at: 29th Feb 2016 10:39
This is going to be a very short and dirty guide, I hope I got everything right, i'm at work so i'm doing this quickly.

I won't go into texturing and manually unwrapping, that's more advanced than needed at the moment. What I will do is tell you how to convert a model from .obj to .x in Blender, give it a temporary AO (white shaded) texture and put it in GameGuru.

Before we start however, I do have to tell you that I downloaded that model and checked it out, the scale is fine so that's not your issue, but you won't be able to use it in GameGuru as it has waaaay too many polygons, the max for a GameGuru model is around 22,000 tri's, that model has almost 6 times that being 106,000 tri's. It just won't work in GameGuru.

That aside for future reference here's a quick guide:

1. Delete the default cube
2. Select file > import > wavefront (.obj) and import your model
3. In object mode - highlight all objects in the scene (press A a couple of times until everything has an orange or red outline), then press ctrl+J, this joins all the objects as a single mesh, this doesn't really need to be done if you're not animating as, but if you're animated with bones it does because sometimes when you have multiple objects with bones they don't "stick" together and end up in a pile on the ground in GameGuru (it's the same in unity too), but for the purposes of this guide i'm getting you to do it so we don't have to mess with multiple object UV unwrapping, which can be a pain.
4. Press TAB to get into edit mode
5. Press A a couple of times until everything is highlighted in orange.
6. Move your curser to the bottom left of the 3D window where there is a small triangle, hover over this and your cursor will change to a plus sign, click and drag the triangle to the right about half way across the screen, you now have two windows. (see picture attached)
7. next to the triangle you dragged is your current editor type button, click this and choose UV/Image Editor
8. Click on the New button and a box will come up to create a new image, choose the name you want to call it and the size you need and click OK
9. Now with your mouse hovering over the 3D view widow, press U, this brings up the unwrap options, for the sake of this quick epxlenation (you can explore the other options at your own pace) select Smart UV Project and click OK, you will now see lots of lines inside your image in the UV editor screen.
10. Go to the right hand side menu and make sure you are in the render menu (icon looks liek a camera at the top of the menu), then scroll down to bake. From the bake menu change the bake mode to ambient occlusion, tick the normalized box, and then press the bake button. This will ceate a greyscale image in your UV editor, this texture basically adds the self generated shadows for the model ie where it is darker under wheel arches ect. But we're not using it for that, we're using it as a temporary texture to see how it looks.
11. In the UV window select the image menu and choose Save as Image to save it.
12. Go back to the 3D view window and hit tab to go back to object mode, make sure everything is highlighted and press ctrl+A and select scale.
13. Now with the object still highlighted head to file > export > DirectX (.x), at the bottom of the left hand menu you will find some options, untick the material option, you sdon't need it and it causes models to be all black in gameguru, now choose your name and location and hit the export button.

Now go into GameGuru and use the built in model importer, this wil give you some files, the ONLY files we need from there are the BMP thumbnail, the FPE, your .x file, and the texture file you saved in blender, the rest can be deleted. We only used the importer to generate a thumbnal and FPE file.

Now, you should have the following files in a folder in your entity bank (we'll call the files "car" for now:

1. car.bmp (a 64x64 thumbnail image)
2. car.png (your temporary texture)
3. car.x (your original .x file)
4. car.fpe (the command file generated by gameguru's importer)

1. Open car.fpe in notepad
2. Find the line that starts with "desc", change the name after it to car
3. Find the line that startes with "Textured = " and change the texture listed after it to car.png
4. Find the line "Model =" and change the model name to car.x
5. Save and close notepad

Your model should now work in gameguru.

Here's the video tutorial series I used to learn how to create and import models for GameGuru in Blender, ove rthe course of the videos he explains in detail how to build, unwrap, texture, and import models into GameGuru, it's really well done, watch the whole playlist and you should understand how it all works much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPgQfd5bb4g&list=PL2fWo8eoaiUZpZDk5hNqwKTuQXWT8hm3f
(don't be put off that he calls it FPSC reloaded and not GameGuru, FPSCR was the temporary name for GameGuru at first release, it's the same software just a little older, but everything in his videos works fine with GameGuru now)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 08:35
Quote: "Game Guru does not recognize .png format. They must be .dds"

GameGuru recognises PNG file fine for textures, it's just that DDS format textures are far more efficient and are required for store items. You can use PNG's with no problems if you want to.
Fendrik
Years of Service
User Offline

@RvD: I hope I don't add to the confusion you experience, but here are a couple of additional comments regarding textures.

As was said before, GG works best, when you provide a diffuse (color) map, a normal map and a specular map. They are all just "regular image" files - diffuse is the real texture you want, normal map is a "blue-ish" image of the real texture and the specular map is a gray scale image that indicates which parts are supposed to be "shiny".

Often you will only have the "diffuse" image (e.g. the picture of a real brick wall) but not the normal and specular map.

There are tools that create those missing maps from the diffuse map. I use "awsomebump" to do just that ... it is a free tool and does an amazing job. That will give you the three maps, but most likely not in the .DDS format. Probably PNG or JPG is what you end up with.

Next, you can use one of the tools mentioned above to convert the PNG/JPG files to .DDS. I use XNConvert (free tool) to do this.

And regarding your comment about how much effort is involved ... go try Unity or UDK ... you will find the learning curve to be a lot steeper ... and you will still have to learn the same basics as you do with GG (plus a lot more ...)

Cheers,
Fendrik
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 10:26
Quote: "And regarding your comment about how much effort is involved ... go try Unity or UDK ... you will find the learning curve to be a lot steeper ... and you will still have to learn the same basics as you do with GG (plus a lot more ...)"

Absolutely agree, GameGuru may seem intimidating at first glance, but when you compare it to many of the other game engines out there you can see how much easier it is to use, and with every update it's becoming that little bit easier. You just have to put a bit of effort into learning how to do some things, which is what I see you doing, so keep it up, you're doing well so far.
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As Myke said, one thing you need to do in blender is before export highlight it all in object mode, then press ctrl+A and select scale, this sets the scale of the model.

As to why it is not appearing, try zooming right in close then placing it, it may just be way too small, if that's the case go back into blender, in object mode highlight all parts of the model (tap A a couple of times until everything is highlighted) then press N, on the menu that comes up find the scale section and change it all to x=100 y=100 z=100, then set the scale with ctrl+A again, export it (make sure the model is highlighted when exporting) and try it in game, if that works then just keep changing the scale until you are happy.

Make sure every time you update the model you delete the dbo file in the folder the old copy is in or it doesn't reset the cache in gameguru.

I have to head out to work now, but when I'm on my break i'll write up a more detailed guide on blender to gameguru."

I did that with blender i made it so huge .. reuploaded it and removed all the files of the old .dbo .. nope nothing... it's basically not even their
PM
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "just saw this thread, sometimes if model not appearing in GameGuru most likely model name in the .FPE file is wrong....just a guess
"

hhhh no XD not that .. i just checked.
PM
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This is going to be a very short and dirty guide, I hope I got everything right, i'm at work so i'm doing this quickly.

I won't go into texturing and manually unwrapping, that's more advanced than needed at the moment. What I will do is tell you how to convert a model from .obj to .x in Blender, give it a temporary AO (white shaded) texture and put it in GameGuru.

Before we start however, I do have to tell you that I downloaded that model and checked it out, the scale is fine so that's not your issue, but you won't be able to use it in GameGuru as it has waaaay too many polygons, the max for a GameGuru model is around 22,000 tri's, that model has almost 6 times that being 106,000 tri's. It just won't work in GameGuru.

That aside for future reference here's a quick guide:

1. Delete the default cube
2. Select file > import > wavefront (.obj) and import your model
3. In object mode - highlight all objects in the scene (press A a couple of times until everything has an orange or red outline), then press ctrl+J, this joins all the objects as a single mesh, this doesn't really need to be done if you're not animating as, but if you're animated with bones it does because sometimes when you have multiple objects with bones they don't "stick" together and end up in a pile on the ground in GameGuru (it's the same in unity too), but for the purposes of this guide i'm getting you to do it so we don't have to mess with multiple object UV unwrapping, which can be a pain.
4. Press TAB to get into edit mode
5. Press A a couple of times until everything is highlighted in orange.
6. Move your curser to the bottom left of the 3D window where there is a small triangle, hover over this and your cursor will change to a plus sign, click and drag the triangle to the right about half way across the screen, you now have two windows. (see picture attached)
7. next to the triangle you dragged is your current editor type button, click this and choose UV/Image Editor
8. Click on the New button and a box will come up to create a new image, choose the name you want to call it and the size you need and click OK
9. Now with your mouse hovering over the 3D view widow, press U, this brings up the unwrap options, for the sake of this quick epxlenation (you can explore the other options at your own pace) select Smart UV Project and click OK, you will now see lots of lines inside your image in the UV editor screen.
10. Go to the right hand side menu and make sure you are in the render menu (icon looks liek a camera at the top of the menu), then scroll down to bake. From the bake menu change the bake mode to ambient occlusion, tick the normalized box, and then press the bake button. This will ceate a greyscale image in your UV editor, this texture basically adds the self generated shadows for the model ie where it is darker under wheel arches ect. But we're not using it for that, we're using it as a temporary texture to see how it looks.
11. In the UV window select the image menu and choose Save as Image to save it.
12. Go back to the 3D view window and hit tab to go back to object mode, make sure everything is highlighted and press ctrl+A and select scale.
13. Now with the object still highlighted head to file > export > DirectX (.x), at the bottom of the left hand menu you will find some options, untick the material option, you sdon't need it and it causes models to be all black in gameguru, now choose your name and location and hit the export button.

Now go into GameGuru and use the built in model importer, this wil give you some files, the ONLY files we need from there are the BMP thumbnail, the FPE, your .x file, and the texture file you saved in blender, the rest can be deleted. We only used the importer to generate a thumbnal and FPE file.

Now, you should have the following files in a folder in your entity bank (we'll call the files "car" for now:

1. car.bmp (a 64x64 thumbnail image)
2. car.png (your temporary texture)
3. car.x (your original .x file)
4. car.fpe (the command file generated by gameguru's importer)

1. Open car.fpe in notepad
2. Find the line that starts with "desc", change the name after it to car
3. Find the line that startes with "Textured = " and change the texture listed after it to car.png
4. Find the line "Model =" and change the model name to car.x
5. Save and close notepad

Your model should now work in gameguru.

Here's the video tutorial series I used to learn how to create and import models for GameGuru in Blender, ove rthe course of the videos he explains in detail how to build, unwrap, texture, and import models into GameGuru, it's really well done, watch the whole playlist and you should understand how it all works much better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPgQfd5bb4g&list=PL2fWo8eoaiUZpZDk5hNqwKTuQXWT8hm3f
(don't be put off that he calls it FPSC reloaded and not GameGuru, FPSCR was the temporary name for GameGuru at first "

i will read this but i will try first to apply the missing texture method.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 11:55
Check in your FPE file, what is written next to model = ?

If it says model = z.dbo

Then yes your FPE has the wrong name in it, you need to put the z.x file in the folder with the fpe and then edit the line model = z.dbo to say model = z.x

As I said in my previous post, regardless of what your FPE says, it's unlikely that you will be able to use that car model in GameGuru, it has 5 times too many polygons for the maximum amount of polygons GameGuru can handle in one model, even if you get the FPE right that car model will likely crash GameGuru.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 11:57 Edited at: 29th Feb 2016 12:05
Quote: "i will read this but i will try first to apply the missing texture method."

It's 100% note a missing texture.

When the texture is missing it won't make the model invisible, it will make it solid black. It will only be "invisible" if it's missing the model itself (eigher the model is missing or the reference to the model in the fpe is wrong), or if the model is teeny tiny.

The four textures you have in GameGuru are:

Diffuse:
This is your actual texture, named :
Nameoftexture_D.dds

Normal:
This is a purple/blue image that outlines all the bumps and grooves in your texture, named:
Nameoftexture_N.dds

Specular:
This us a black, white and grey image that outlines shading and reflection in your texture, named:
Nameoftexture_S.dds

Illumination:
This is a black image with white patches, the white patches mark out areas you want to glow, named:
Nameoftexture_I.dds

The only one you need to get the model to work in GG is the Diffuse texture, the others are all optional, if it doesn't work with the diffuse texture, then it won't work with any of the others as the diffuse is the only one that is shown visibly, the others are render layers that give the texture definition.
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I hope I don't add to the confusion you experience, but here are a couple of additional comments regarding textures.

As was said before, GG works best, when you provide a diffuse (color) map, a normal map and a specular map. They are all just "regular image" files - diffuse is the real texture you want, normal map is a "blue-ish" image of the real texture and the specular map is a gray scale image that indicates which parts are supposed to be "shiny".

Often you will only have the "diffuse" image (e.g. the picture of a real brick wall) but not the normal and specular map.

There are tools that create those missing maps from the diffuse map. I use "awsomebump" to do just that ... it is a free tool and does an amazing job. That will give you the three maps, but most likely not in the .DDS format. Probably PNG or JPG is what you end up with.

Next, you can use one of the tools mentioned above to convert the PNG/JPG files to .DDS. I use XNConvert (free tool) to do this.

And regarding your comment about how much effort is involved ... go try Unity or UDK ... you will find the learning curve to be a lot steeper ... and you will still have to learn the same basics as you do with GG (plus a lot more ...)"

so after i get the 2 new maps... what do i do with them ? it asks for the normal map (the real brick of wall) what i do with the rest ?
PM
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh okay .. am going to check what you wrote and follow it.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 12:07
I would highly recommend watching and following that youtube playlist I linked in my guide, it's explained so much better in there than i could ever explain.
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
i opened the link and watching atm..thank you so much for taking much time to write this long guide i really appreciate it
PM
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
In my post above i posted links for car model .. this model was inserted directly into the game and worked after just changing it to .x so seems what you said about the limitations is the problem.. so is there is a site for a working objects in game guru cause store is 5 downloads per month which i already finished .. any other solutions while learning blender.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 13:03 Edited at: 29th Feb 2016 13:10
That site you used for the car should have some models on there you can use, it's just that specific one is too high poly. If you look on the right hand side of the Subaru's webpage and scroll down, there is a listing for "low poly (game ready)" it says "no", so when yu browse that sight keep an eye on that section, if it says yes then it "should" be ok to import into GG via blender etc. other sights will have similar, some might actually list the number of poly's, what you are looking for is less than 22000 poly's/tri's, the lower the better.

Models like that Subaru are more for 3d printing and animation scenes, and not really for games as games require a lot lower poly's otherwise nobody could play them with a reasonable FPS.

Turbosquid is a good model resource too.
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Perfect thank you .. Although i want to know if i want to texture the car i fail to do so.. Like for example i want certain parts of the car to be Black others to be red... idk what should i use to color the car.. and how to reupload it textured into GG. cause a fully black car sucks xD
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 13:55
also for free models check my thread
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/210761

and i have free car properly not what your looking for, but you never know.

Harry
Harry
When nothing goes right, go left
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 14:20
Quote: "Perfect thank you .. Although i want to know if i want to texture the car i fail to do so.. Like for example i want certain parts of the car to be Black others to be red... idk what should i use to color the car.. and how to reupload it textured into GG. cause a fully black car sucks xD"

That's a huge subject and to be honest far too much to ask for in a forum thread, there's multiple ways to texture in modelling programs, in that playlist (9 videos) I linked you he gives you an example of how to texture, but texturing something as complicated as that specific car model is going to take a lot of work and is probably beyond your ability until you know how to texture lie a pro. your best bet is to look up blender tutorials on youtube and watch as many as you can, try to copy along with them, and get to know as much as you can about it.
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't want it to be complicated .. i want it to be as simple as possible for example.
Window White, Car tiers black , the rest of the car body black. that's all.
PM
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "also for free models check my thread
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/210761

and i have free car properly not what your looking for, but you never know.

Harry"

lol free well done stuff ,ur a good artist thank you.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 15:40
Quote: "I don't want it to be complicated .. i want it to be as simple as possible for example.
Window White, Car tiers black , the rest of the car body black. that's all."

But with that model it won't ever be simple, there's so much geometry on it, it's going to be tough to unwrap and texture. Watch videos number 3 and 4 in that playlist I linked, that will give you an idea of what you need to do.
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
okay i will ... seems i will have a hard time xD but k np... a good quality game i suppose takes weeks or months.
PM
RvD
Years of Service
User Offline
This maybe the most stupid question i guess ... how do i make water appear ? When i test level i made the terrain go deep down so it pulls the water out .. but when ever i test level this water doesn't appear. so why ?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 22:05
in the test game press tab twice, there's a slider for water.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-29 02:27:34
Your offset time is: 2024-06-29 02:27:34