Product Chat / Nautiloid Sea Trials - WIP Submarine Craft in Game Guru

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 23rd Feb 2016 21:30
Hello, please forgive the post here in 'chat' rather than in WIP board - I was hoping Lee might see this, and he might be more likely to do that here. During testing of the submarine in the video, I had created a large (more interesting) sub marine environment (under the GG water plane). This however is not in the video, as when on a reload of the map it was lost. The above ground terrain seems fine but the terrain geometry under water was gone (flattened to one level but still under water) - it looks like only a certain depth of terrain under water is recorded on save or it's not respected on load.

I imagine this will affect few people as perhaps not too many people developing under water craft, but it largely kills my ability to create submarine levels/fpms. Not sure if it can be considered a bug, but a plea from me to see if this could be changed/fixed? If not possible against other work or if it's a large task, no worries, I understand .

Hope you find the video interesting anyway (sharks are from Gtox)

Cheers.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2016 00:31
That is awesome! I love your models especially, great work!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2016 07:44
Brilliant, love your game
PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Geforce 760gtx 2GB
Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Love the models ... Great Work !!
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2016 21:00
Agreed, awesome graphics and huge ambition here! I can confirm the terrain only has 500 units of height detail below the present water line. Anything further than 500 units from the water line cannot be saved as that's the way the terrain saver works and much continue to work until we replace the whole thing with something new (maybe voxel, maybe infinite terrain, etc). Retaining backwards compatibility with a new terrain system will not be a problem but don't worry, it's not happening until it gets voted number one.

For the shorter term, there is feedback from users wanting editor and script control of the water line, so you would effectively flood your world by raising the water, creating a better division of below and above water line terrain. Only had a few requests for this but I think it's something that could go in one of the tweak updates rather than a voting board issue. Keep working on your game, make a few more videos, and if more users also want to see dynamic water rises, you may very well get your wish much sooner than anticipated.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Fendrik
Years of Service
User Offline

Indeed, very nice work ... great models and I am sure a good amount of scripting you had to do !

Chapeau!

Cheers,
Fendrik
PM
Sativa Savant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2016 20:27
Loving this and would REALLY like to make a sub type game. Forum search for submarine only brought this post up and search in store brought up nothing. If you are making enterable, controllable subs I'm hoping that you and/or other people are considering or working on putting such a thing in store to have. Personally I would like a more sci-fi or modernish type craft rather than the steam punk style, though what you have is very cool.

Would be very cool I think to make a VR integrated sub exploration game with something like nomads AAA lighting mod and something like your sub and/or a same relative size/bigger version of the dragon sub to roam around in.
http://www.gizmag.com/deepflight-dragon-video-review-personal-submersible/39121/
PM
Slaur3n
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2016 21:39
What!! Coolest thing ive seen today!
Visit our FB site and like
https://www.facebook.com/crowhillstudiosofficial
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2016 22:31
I want to see deep sea diving swimming to Atlantic remake the abyss. Do sub simulated with shaun as a Russian sub commander. Aka ramius. I want to see bioshock 2 and I want sharktopuss vs mega shark I want to be in a water world. And you are doing well shame that it won't get the love it deserves till voted. And I expect slide left and right to be voted above water. And probably 2d game maker voted top before water. Lol. On serious note though do keep going your an inspiration to us all
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 19th Mar 2016 18:29
@Jerry Tremble, Emrys & synchromesh - thanks for the comments, appreciate them

@Fendrik - thanks ... scripting's the easy part for me, texturing is another story

@Sativa Savant Thank you for the encouragement. You can find some cool modern submarine at synchromesh's site - http://www.gamegurufiles.co.uk/models.html. Don't think they are enterable though from what I remember. I was trying to go for that type of sub exploration type theme, but can't really do it with GG yet given only 500 units of depth under sea-level.

@Slaur3n - thank you!

@science boy - Heh, you don't want much . I know what you mean ... I wish you hadn't said water world though ... got me thinking of something else now that could become a major distraction . I'm giving up on submarine activity for a while but hope to come back to it.

@ Lee - thanks for the comments and encouragement. Yes being able to raise the water would achieve the same thing, that would be great. I tried to simulate this with a quad across the entire map, but couldn't get the water shader to hook into it properly (I'm clearly missing something on how the engine talks to that). I also replaced (hid) the GG terrain with an underwater model terrain across the level ... this works reasonably well (shown in the video), but of course the sub can only operate within 500 units even though the depth looks much much deeper. So have parked this particular level for now.

Cheers.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2016 19:15
this is wonderful stuff -keep it up
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 22:58:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 22:58:52