Third Party Tools / AAA Lighting / Effects In GameGuru (with instructions)

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 01:36 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:35
Happy New Year!

You may have seen a thread I recently posted on the FPSC Classic forum showing how to use the latest ReShade framework to add some awesome lighting and post process effects to your games.

Well the great news is this also works for GameGuru and allows a number of useful features which can take your graphics up another notch from what is currently available. I've been using this with a dx9 configuration but will update to dx11 once Lee completes the upgrade this year.

Here is a HD video where I've added Bloom, Color Correction, Vibrance, Sharpening, SMAA Antialiasing, God Rays and Bokeh DOF to The Big Escape demo level:

As you can see from the GG map editor below there is much better detail when using ReShade on the left hand side of the image:

Here are some comparison shots which really show how the effects can be used to improve the overall quality of a scene. The visuals have more pop to them and you get much better detail from the textures:

Installation
1. Download one of the ReShade for GameGuru installers below.

Full Version - Complete feature set which is suitable for high end systems
http://www.blackicemod.org/files/GameGuruReShadeFullInstaller.zip

Lite Version - Basic feature set which is suitable for lower end systems
http://www.blackicemod.org/files/GameGuruReShadeLiteInstaller.zip

2. Extract then double click the installer and follow the instructions. You can change the target directory for built GameGuru games which are located in Documents\Game Guru Files\My Games.

Configuration
1. To change the ReShade configuration all you need to do is open the file MasterEffect.h with notepad, change the settings under 'Enable Effects' from 0 to 1
* You can even edit this file whilst the GameGuru game is running and the shaders will recompile without having to exit and restart
2. To customize the effects even further, scroll down to 'Effect Parameters' and follow the comments provided
3. To enable / disable the ReShade effects use the F5 key

Credits
ReShade.dll by Crosire / MasterEffect by Marty McFly

Change Log
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 01:42 Edited at: 13th Jan 2016 01:44
This is pretty neat. and works also.
Do remember to contact the author if you want to use this in your commercial release.

Thank you for finding it.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 02:16
Holy hell, this really improves the quality.

What a jump...

Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 02:27 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:36
@Pirate Myke - Awesome video and nice use of the light flares!
@Bolt Action Gaming - Nice work and good to see more interior design.

I think most people will be fine just using this as a mod rather than including it as part of a commercial game but license requirements are included in the installer if anyone wants to go that route.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 02:28
You also make my 2048x2048 skies really pop now. That's awesome. I mean and the sun halo effect works flawlessly on all my skies. I'm super happy now You made my year - I owe you a beer if you're ever near Pennsylvania.
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 02:38 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:36
Your welcome mate. We can have a virtual cheers for now but look me up if your ever in the UK

The MasterEffect file is pretty self explanatory but hopefully people will share presets for GG demos and games later on.
Stab in the Dark software
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 02:52
Unfortunately it is a frame rate killer unless you are using a $400.00 graphics card.
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 02:55
Quote: "Happy New Year!"

Happy New Year to you as well, and since I am not familiar with all of the customs of your country and of course since you are bearing gifts, I won't be critical for that greeting well after the 10th of the year! I am just kidding, the Happy New Year is sincere, and thank you, thank you, thank you!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 09:16
I can't wait to try this later ! Many thanks Nomad Soul
PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Geforce 760gtx 2GB
Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 09:22
Happy New Year to you too--- Wow, this is brilliant, thanks very much for this can't wait to try out after work.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Amazing. Thank you.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 13:23 Edited at: 13th Jan 2016 13:44
doesnt work for me, i'm getting endless loop of game guru failed to initialize correctly, is there a requirement for it?
how do i remove it?
cant see any uninstall option and even deleting files and verifying through steam and restarting PC doesnt work ... still crashing GG at start up.

edit; fixed. i needed to delete d3d9.dll and now GG starts again.
i'll wait for GG to add these but the lighting effects looks cool
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 15:48
It does suck several frames but it also looks nice (I guess that's always the trade-off); even things in the editor look better, or maybe it's my imagination.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 16:00
Nope, not your imagination
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It does suck several frames but it also looks nice (I guess that's always the trade-off); even things in the editor look better, or maybe it's my imagination."

The editor does look more crisp ...and ye I get the odd nano second pause now and again .... looks great though ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 20:46 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:37
@Stab in the Dark software - You can get the graphics card I'm using on ebay for around £100 / $150 and it works fine.

Thanks to everyone else for giving this a try and hope it gives you some nice results. There is always a performance trade off for better graphics but ReShade is highly optimized and should be even better when we can start using the dx11 version later this year.

@smallg - Sorry to hear you had some problems. This version of ReShade uses dx9 so providing you have that installed it should be fine. Perhaps you can try running GG in administrator mode as that can be required for the shaders to compile.

I didn't include an uninstall option as I didn't want to risk breaking anyone's GG but you can uninstall manually very easily by deleting these files in your root directory: - Master Effect (folder), d3d9.dll, MasterEffect.h, Reshade.fx, license.txt

Just to show the ReShade performance can even be very good on FPSC Classic, here is another video I made earlier:

Here is the original thread for FPSC Classic if you want to use that version:
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/216163
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 20:47
Real nice work! Can definately see the difference.
Intel Core i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 21:03 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:37
Thanks KeithC. It gives us some new toys to play with until we get more information about the dx11 upgrade.

Personally I really like using GG this way now as the graphics are much crisper and detailed in the editor and when playing games. I recommend switching the GG bloom and DOF off if you enable them in ReShade otherwise it might be overkill.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
i tried it again as admin and same result but as long as i delete d3d9.dll it'll load GG normally though so it's easy to put back to normal.
i'll try the standalone and have a play around with my antivirus and stuff tomorrow, maybe something is blocking it.

life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 22:43 Edited at: 13th Jan 2016 23:02
Nice work Nomad, if folks don't like that fullscreen shaders have a performance hit then they don't have to use 'em. I thought most games these days had optional quality settings anyhow, don't remember anyone saying it was a problem in any way unless the game didn't offer anything but the highest settings. So long as players with lower end systems have the option to dial it all back a bit then it really isn't an issue that I know of, since this is all pretty much a start and a good one at that I am sure you will make it all even better.

All the same the fact that you seem to be getting reasonable frame rates using ReShade with Classic where performance was never the greatest anyhow says a lot. Though that might be down to s4real and yourself optimising the devil out of the old code for your mod to gain those speed increases. Still, there was a limit to how much you could squeeze out of that so great work.
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2016 23:40
What are you doing over here Nomad Soul? Get back over to the classic forum....
gamer, lover, filmmaker
0Alemar0
Years of Service
User Offline
eheh very nice Nomad Soul .I´ll test soon with GG but I love the FPSC scenes, and already looking for my classic in a backup hd...
www.alemargames.com
teamhalo
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Gears of War 4
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 04:54
Wow these look amazing! I will have to implement this in my workflow when I screenshot and produce media. Thanks so much for sharing this with us
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 06:18
tried this out briefly last night and works althoigh I will have to play around with the effects as the font goes a bit strange other than that looks good.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for this love it great work appreciate the time you put in for this
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 13:11 Edited at: 14th Jan 2016 13:17
I'm having fps issues, huge stutter and only getting 6fps..... any ideas ?? Normally i got 30 to 56fps on my level.

Only 6fps on an empty level as well, and a huge stutter. Im at a loss here, it does nice but not working properly on my AMD RADEON HD7870 DDR5 card.

Does sweetfx do the same thing, as I need a black and white shader with film grain effect.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 13:46
@Tarkus: Try turning everything off but the black and white and see if it improves your frame rate. There is a lot of stuff going on in that shader.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 14:29
havent used the black and white yet.... Just using the plain gamegurushader installer as is at the moment, but im getting shockingly slow fps, thanks
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 15:21 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:37
@smallg - Ok, let us know how you get on with the standalone game.
@rolfy / seppgirty - LOL I feel a bit out of my depth on the GG forum and still haven't kicked my Classic addiction yet!
@0Alemar0 - If you are going to use this with Classic make sure you download the other installer from that forum
@Bored of the Rings - There is an option in the global parameters called UI mask. If you enable this it uses the 'mcmask.png' file to mask areas of the UI from being affected by the shader effects if you have any conflicts. You can edit the png mask as required.
@teamhalo / devlin - Thanks and hope you are able to get some use from this.

@Tarkus1971 - Sorry to hear your having performance issues. Pirate Myke is correct, you should turn everything under 'ENABLE EFFECTS' off by making them all 0 instead of 1 then only switch on USE_MONOCHROME and USE_GRAIN. That should give you the best performance for those effects.

I would also recommend ensuring you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card and ensure there is nothing else running in the background which may impact performance.

I've just updated the installer so it doesn't use DOF by default as this is a very expensive effect and GG has its own DOF which is probably more performance friendly.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 15:25
Question for Nomad - how does this function with standalone games?

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 15:32
For the couple I have tried it works great, with little performance impact for me. ( -1 or -2) Being able to edit the MasterEffect.h file and then save it and it updates the shader on the fly.

Now all we need is a way to be able to change things is a lua script for zone markers, and this is a great addition.

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 16:08
Its all good here now. I just switched off the SMAA this is just an amazing program. Great work
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Could TGC team get the rights to integrate this into the engine?
Julian
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 19:01 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:41
@Bolt Action Gaming - It works very well with standalone games. After you've built a standalone game you can simply run the installer then point the target directory to the root folder. If your using ReShade for testing GG games you will need to copy the MasterEffect.h file across manually to keep the settings. I get a very minimal performance hit which is probably only a few FPS but you need to be careful about which effects to enable together etc.

@Pirate Myke - Yeah it would be very neat if this could be tied into the LUA system to trigger effects in-game but I'm not sure how you would get around the recompile notifications etc. I don't believe these can be removed without getting a commercial license.

@Tarkus1971 - Really glad to hear this is working for you now and with good performance. I was going to say its worth checking which options are enabled on peoples graphics cards as sometimes they force things like antialiasing but if your using ReShade you want this controlled by the application.

@lordjulian - Its possible but they would need to get a commercial license and have previously said they don't like to license 3rd party middleware and prefer to implement their own. They have made exceptions for things like open source physics libraries.

I found the cartoon effect to be quite good for anyone wanting to make a cell shaded style game:

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2016 20:13
Great, thanks for the heads up.

That comic cellshade look looks amazing!
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Again thank you. This is quite a tool. I too get a frame rate hit but given how much is going on it is surprisingly minimal.

Question: what alternatives to 0x91 work? My laptop does not have a scroll lock key and the fn+delete alternative does not seem to work.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2016 07:37 Edited at: 15th Jan 2016 08:16
Quote: "@Bored of the Rings - There is an option in the global parameters called UI mask. If you enable this it uses the 'mcmask.png' file to mask areas of the UI from being affected by the shader effects if you have any conflicts. You can edit the png mask as required."

thanks Nomad Soul-I'll give it a try

[update-thanks worked a charm-the downside of the tool though is that my FPS drops to 16 or so but otherwise visually I like what I see so far-will play around with this when I get more time ]
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 12:33
yes working great here now except the cartoon mode not seeming to work, do i just enable cartoon or is there something else I need to alter ?
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 20:53 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:42
@Isagabe - I have now included a ReShade keycodes file in the installer. Please backup your MasterEffect.h file if you have made any changes then install the latest version.

@Bored of the Rings - I have now included some additional code in the ReShade shader so you can enable statistics. I've updated the installer with this so you just need to backup your MasterEffect.h file then install the latest version.

Change '#if RFX_ShowStatistics == 1' to 0 and you will get a list of stats on the right side of the screen as shown in the pic below which gives you realtime framerate and other useful information such as number of passes based upon the effects you have enabled. Whilst this won't directly improve performance at least you can see what impact any combination of effects has and I will be looking to make some optimizations using this as a guide.

You can now also change '#if RFX_ShowToggleMessage == 1' to 0 and this will display a message to confirm if ReShade is enabled or not when using the Scroll Lock key or whichever key people use for this.

@Tarkus1971 - Great to hear this is working well for you now. If you want the cartoon effect to be the same as in the screenshot I posted, you can use the settings below. I've also updated these values in the installer preset as the default settings are a little underwhelming!

//CARTOON
#define CartoonPower 10.0
#define CartoonEdgeSlope 1.0
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 23:42
Thank you again.

Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 00:58 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:40
I have just uploaded the latest GameGuru ReShade installer with the following updates:

- ReShade enabled / disabled notifications are now on by default.
- Added a new file 'common.cfg' in the MasterEffect folder for controlling a number of parameters so global parameters in ReShade.fx work correctly now.
- New flag '#define RFX_DepthBufferCalc' now included to ensure there are no depth buffer reads going on if your game does not require this which should result in better performance.
- Changed default ReShade toggle key to F5 so more compatible for laptop users.

Don't forget to backup your MasterEffect.h file before reinstalling!
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 14:35
awesome thanks nomad
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 14:50
thanks again
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 15:19
can we just install this version over what we have already then?
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2016 20:40 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:40
Thanks guys,

@Bolt Action Gaming - Yes! just run the latest installer and it will update the files. The only thing you need to do is make a copy of your MasterEffect.h file so you don't lose any settings you've created for the different effects.
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you.
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2016 15:11 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2016 15:12
Works really well on my fallout scene, many thanks.

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Geforce 760gtx 2GB
Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 16:01 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:39
@Emrys - Your fallout project is fantastic, especially the modelling on the house and getting the overall feel of the game. I'm glad this tool has played a small part in bringing it all together.

I've just updated the ReShade UI mask (mcmask.png) so this is now directly based on the default GameGuru UI (weapon / heath panels, radar and crosshair). Therefore you can now enable the '#define USE_HUD_MASKING' flag in your MasterEffect.h file and it will mask all of the game UI elements from being affected by shader effects.

*Tip*
If you want to use ReShade with a standalone GG game and don't want the effects to be activated automatically do the following:
1. Run the GameGuru ReShade installer and point this to your built standalone game in Documents\Game Guru Files\My Games
2. Open the file ReShade.fx and search for the following line of code:
technique MasterEffect < bool enabled = 1; toggle = MASTEREFFECT_TOGGLEKEY; >
3. Change bool enabled = 1 to 0 which will prevent ReShade effects being enabled by default
4. Run the executable and use the F5 key once the game begins to activate ReShade effects
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 11:10 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:39
I have now started the optimization work on GameGuru ReShade.

As a starting point I've removed all of the depth buffer related code as Ambient Occlusion does not work properly and GG has its own DOF implementation which is likely to be more performance friendly. This ensures no overhead or duplication from those effects.

I've also removed the vignette related code as GG has its own implementation and the Skyrim tonemapping effect as this doesn't appear to work properly. Next I'm looking at Bloom and HDR as possible areas to improve performance.
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2016 13:54 Edited at: 19th Jun 2016 00:39
I've now split ReShade for GameGuru into 2 installers so there is a full and lite version.

For the lite version, I've done a number of optimizations and highly recommend this for most people unless you really want to use the depth based effects in the full version which are very expensive for performance.

Full Version - http://www.blackicemod.org/files/GameGuruReShadeFullInstaller.zip
Lite Version - http://www.blackicemod.org/files/GameGuruReShadeLiteInstaller.zip

You can save even more frames using the lite version by switching off SMAA if you don't mind having a few jaggies here and there. I'm now getting consistently over 60fps using the lite version with GG shader settings set to HIGH on the big escape.

I'm not planning on doing any further updates but will try and support if anyone posts with any questions etc.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:48:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:48:39