Feature Creep / My view of GG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 09:50 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2015 10:41
Hello all i have been with tgc since 2008 started with fpsc then started to use dark basic pro
now i added game guru to my roster would like to give my pro's/cons on GG

Pro's

grass system
Bigger/better land / system
water
better sky system
lua

Con's

Child's UI... i actually like the fpsc ui better the current one does not look "new" at all looks like it took a big step backwards
segments gone
doors gone
when placing entities its 50/50 on weather or not it snaps to the land or half way through the floor (needs work)
brush system needs work as i posted in suggestions needs more of them

one other suggestion i have kinda has to do with the brush system currently there is 4 default textures to choose from
"paint ground,paint mud etc"
how come these are not in the library tab in there own tab to be able to select multiple sources ?

not trying to be negative by any means so please don't take this post the wrong way i know there is still a ton of work to be done and things that have not been released yet just seems to be so much missing that is key to the engine that fpsc had that this one does not now

Thank you for reading
.:: Http://DeanWorks.Ca ::.

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 11:28 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2015 11:29
yes agree with segments and UI, I'm working on segment welder tool (please feel free to see under 3rd party tools) which brings in FPSC segments/animated objects e.g. doors, platforms, vaults etc and currently working on levels/prefabs which I have done outside the tool. Currently working on many features including CSG punching e.g. punching a door through walls (also see demo ofthat under same section).
GG still being developed and I thinkj tHE UI is being or will be looked at.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 11:44
Hi bored thanks for the reply i have looked at the tool and think it will be a great addition to the community how ever for someone like my self who cannot afford extra's it would be a little difficult to get our hands on it hell took me a few months to save up the cash to get GG (other circumstances involved also) and we all know the price was not much at all for it its more that being as GG is the next step from fpsc i wonder why segments doors cg punch's etc was removed from it in the first place a system a ton of users to me seem to rely on

Thank you again
.:: Http://DeanWorks.Ca ::.

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 12:25 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2015 12:45
Personally I cant see how the old segment system would be an advantage ..
Unless you can model yourself you would still have to rely on users creating segment packs or buy TGC packs as we did before that were actually far more expensive then the module packs on the store...

Module packs can and are be far more detailed and intricate in structural detail rather than just Corners, Sides and floor and ceiling segment pieces in X9 /X10 that I found were available even with third party segment creators...

Right now you can create Modules, Models in most model programs and all you need are the textures the .X model and an fpe file in a folder and copy it straight in to your entity bank and your ready to go ... I think all the variety of module packs available on the store right now reflect how much easier this is for the user..

With the AI and Save/Load features planned after the C++ / DX11 updates then Multi level modules will be far superior.
Either way though whether its TGC segment packs or Store modules your cash would have to flow at some point .. But I think its a lot more open and cheaper this way ... There is also hundreds of free models / Modules out there from the community.

Just my personal thoughts
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 12:42
@GreenDixy- I will be releasing a free demo or cut down version so that fpsc users who want to import their segments into GG can but won't have the advanced features.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@GreenDixy- I will be releasing a free demo or cut down version so that fpsc users who want to import their segments into GG can but won't have the advanced features."

Yes Bored Of The Rings amazing tool will solve all your problems and then you will have the best of both worlds
Looking forward to trying it myself ...
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2015 12:53
I write you about "My View of GG" at: https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/213549
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fps/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:48:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:48:20