3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Importing models into GameGuru

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 17:40
Hello Forum Members! I've been using gameguru for a couple weeks now, and the lua scripting is coming along well, along with level creation, but yesterday, I got he insane idea to build some custom characters and import them into gameguru. Spent the entire day and half the night trying to export a makehuman character from blender (which basically abused, humiliated and broke me) with no luck. One export actually worked, but was missing it's clothes and invisible on the map.. otherwise, it's been one error message after another. I've looked at nearly ever tutorial, but most are older and some specifically for reloaded, tried other modeling programs, and tried manually adding files in the entitybank folder. Still no joy.

If someone could post the exact steps to export a human model from Blender to gameguru that also has it's clothing also (Bonus!), I'd be forever grateful, and go back to having fun doing something other than fighting with blender lol... BTW, a big thank you to all the scripters for making all the sample scripts and help and modelers for making the gameguru world bigger and better!

To Gameguru devs, I just wanted to let you know I also have your competitor's game building system, but I've been having so much fun (at least until my Blender beatdown ) in Gameguru, I haven't even wanted to use that system yet! Keep up the great work

best,

Jan
Pasquill
Years of Service
User Offline
Greetings!

What blender are you using? 7.1 has a bug when exporting rigged models into .x, will require you to go to an older version. Have you managed to export anything like a simple model into GG before or have you thrown yourself into the deep end?
hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2015 02:00
Hi, I'm using 2.75... I've lately imported a couple human models into GameGuru from MakeHuman, but they were both missing clothes, and didn't show in the browser or the game. I've throw myself into what feels like the mariana trench end LOL. I've been a php/mysql programmer for several years, but modeling is totally new to me. I can import a makehuman model into blender with no problem... It what to do to successfully export that model so that gameguru gets exactly what it needs to import a fully clothed human model into the game
hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 01:18
Well, it appears the forum is dead, so I'll head on down the road and find another forum. Thanks!
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 01:32 Edited at: 1st Oct 2015 01:35
I do not use blender myself. I use another program.
But here are the tutorials that blender provides.

http://www.blender.org/support/tutorials/

First thing you will need is a human mesh. these can be made from programs like Fuse on steam or another one called Make human.

Once you have that mesh made and textured the way you like, then you will need a skeleton.
3 spines, 1 neck, 1 finger, 2 joints, and a firespot bone.

You normally make the skeleton to match the mesh size.
I believe blender has a humaniod skeleton in the program.

Once the skeleton is sized to the mesh, then you must bind or skin the mesh to the bones, ensuring that no more then 3 bones are pulling on any one vertice.

Some adjustments will be needed to prevent unwanted stretching of the mesh in places.

Patients.

Once you have that done then it is time to animate the skeleton to the desired movements.
An FBX file is provided here. https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/209329 and there are programs that can convert that to BVH format for blender import. Exact procedures you will have to search thru the tutorials or specific search thru google.

Once you have the animations you desire then you will need to export it out in Direct x format with material, animations and armatures(bones).

Next duplicate one of the FPE file of one of the characters and change the name.
Open it in notepad and change the media files to match yours.

Open GameGuru and set your character and test it for functionality.

Hope that can get you started.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 18:51 Edited at: 1st Oct 2015 19:28
Whoops, appears I was wrong about being dead.. My apologies.

Thank you so much for your guidance and I've seen your other model importer part 1, which helped immensely to clarify. I've already got the making of the makehuman model and rigging down and imported into Blender, attached all the different textures (hair, eyes, clothes etc...) and rendered. Animating I understand and will work on that. The problem is that MakeHuman (and many other pre-created models) creates multiple pre-flattened textures as .png's for each model, while gameguru expects a different format with all the images combined to each _D DDS, _N DDS etc, and in a directx format. Importing the base Model with no textures (or textures attached to the base model and exported) into gameguru works just fine, but since the exported .x file from blender (and I suspect any other program would) lists the multiple texture files from Makehuman in the .x file by .png name, I get at best, a model with the skin covering everything. That would be fine for a horror game, but not so good when I'm trying to create a secretary model typing at a desk, then directing the player lol.

So, I'm just asking for advice from anyone that's already figured out how to make the diffuse, specular and normal files from the seperate MakeHuman PNG's combined for the gameguru 3 maps dds format using ANY program. I'm trying unwrapping the model, UV mapping, baking etc, but I might just have to hit up the blender folks as it's not working yet. Obviously it's possible as the standard characters in gameguru have the multiple textures combined into each required map... just haven't found a way to do that yet, and in a format that gameguru can read so it applies the textures correctly.

Thanks again for your help

P.S. I have a new respect for anyone that does 3D modeling ... It's frikin' hard for anything more than a static box
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 19:47
What you need to do is assemble the many textures onto a single texture, then remap the parts on the mesh to the new texture spot on the combined sheet. Then re export your model.

For example:
if your model has 6 textures 512 x 512 for 6 parts of the whole mesh then you can do the following.
mesh names: head, eyes, body, clothes, weapon, accessories.

See attached file. Now the texture size is 1536 wide x 1024 high with all the used textures on. Of coarse you make this sheet depending on the number of texture you end up with.

Now in Blender you assign all the meshes to this new texture and move the mapping of the UV to the spot on the combined sheet.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Attachments

Login to view attachments
hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 20:07
Excellent, thank you. I will try this now. Just out of curiosity, what program do you use besides blender? 3dmax?

Again, Thanks!

Jan
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 20:33
Yes I use 3ds max and quixel suites.

hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2015 20:36
Thanks. I think I'll check those out.

Have a great day,

Jan
Windows 10 64bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2 gig GDDR5, 16 gigs ram
Microck
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 02:24
Import is easy.

1) Make you're model / textures in blender:

2) Export .x files

3) Import into Gameguru + attach textures :

4) Test ingame:

For real, that's make me crazy.
Spend many hours for create / import models into GG and just half of them are visible ingame.
GG allow only low poly ? How much poly can have a model ?
For this example, if I import just 1 brick, it's ok, the brick appear (but disappear if i turn my head a little, bug ? Engine limit ?). If i import a wall of bricks, GG don't show the model. Trying lower poly by decimate don't help.
Maybe Incoming engine update will help.
PM
hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2015 12:06
Perfectly sums things up LOL. Yea, I guess my first indication something wasn't right was when the "show guide" showed nothing, and never has... Hopefully you are right about the update.
Windows 10 64bit, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2 gig GDDR5, 16 gigs ram
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 00:22
Need to make sure that the when you export that the following options are checked only.
Select all you want to export then press file export direct x
For static non boned objects:
export mesh, export normals, Export UV coordinates, export material.

Check that out and see if that makes a difference.

an imported x file can have 64,000 polys for any one object.

Also just for kick zoom into the spot where the object was imported and see if it is really tiny. I dont use Blender, but have played with it a bit and that is my usual results.

I am a long time 3ds max user and use that all of the time for my custom stuff.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 06:51 Edited at: 4th Oct 2015 07:02
in the .x file make sure the texturefilename paths are actually pointing to the paths where the textures are. Also , if the GG importer doesn't work, I usually put the model through meshview.exe (directx mview) and/or Mender 2.0 which free on the TGC website. It's just a case of open/save.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen).
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 21:26
All good tips above, but the thing is that all the pre-made human models I've seen so far, (except the models used in the FPSc version of GameGuru or custom made for GameGuru) they don't use a combined UV map of model textures (which GameGuru requires). They have one texture map of the skin, another for hair, another for clothes, shoes etc. GameGuru wants all those texture images combined into one diffuse map of the images (it appears it doesn't matter where the original images are after that). If you create your own custom human, map the images to it, great but you still appear to have to unwrap/uv map the texture images to one big combined UV map of the model and use that map for the import to be successful and with all the textures applied to the right place on the model.

So, you must unwrap the mesh, create a combined UV map of all the pieces, move the sometimes layered pieces of the model's parts from the UV map, rearrange the pieces on the UV map, save the UV map, apply the correct texture image to each piece of the combined texture UV map in an image program (or 3d Modeling program), then use that "colorized" (or imageized?) combined UV map as your single diffuse ( _D.dds ), then single "normal" and single "specular" maps when importing the model into gamguru. Of course, I'm only a couple weeks into trying to import a MakeHuman model into gameguru and all these things could just be a "given" I wasn't aware of, or I could possibly be going down the wrong path and completely wrong, and making things harder than they have to be Well, and I'm also a complete Noob at modeling and game creation, so please feel free to correct anything I've gotten wrong!
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 23:41 Edited at: 4th Oct 2015 23:41
And don't forguet all the textures size has to be power of 2 (512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, 512x256, and so on).

I guess you already know this, but if not, you've here a quite useful free textures:

http://www.cgtextures.com/

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 4th Oct 2015 23:44
Send your mesh and textures to me at myke1net @ hotmail.com. It is not a difficult task to combine the textures and make one map.

hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 01:33
Thank you 3com... It's not loading right now so I'll try it later, but saw the categories anyway and it looks like lots of goodies there.

Myke, if you mean me, thank you. I really need to learn to do it myself, but I'll send them as I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with. In what format do you want the makehuman export?
hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 02:39
okay, I just sent the mhx export and images for blender and a 3ds export and images from blender. Hope those are what you need.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 03:12
No attachments in email, Sent a reply and a different email to try.

hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 03:30
sorry my bad

hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 03:36
re-sent
hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2015 07:43 Edited at: 5th Oct 2015 07:44
Thank you for your effort Myke, but although you got the clothes to show in the importer (Bravo!), your files got the same result I did when adding the model to the game (see attached) after combining the images as you suggested earlier. In test mode, the model is jittering quickly apart and the clothes are invisible and the grass showing where the missing clothes should be, so the black background of the legs, arms and head are the only things showing. Just to be sure, I ran the .x file through mender and still no joy. I was really hoping your files would work, but hey, we're closer than before! Oh, and I had to resize up about 4000 something, but not really an issue.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
hiredgunz48
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2015 10:51
Welp.. No luck importing any human models into gameguru. Thanks to all that responded with helpful advice!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:57:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:57:50