Feature Creep / PLEASE Reduce the dimensions of the maps

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 19:52 Edited at: 25th Mar 2015 20:57
PLEASE Reduce the dimensions of the maps (maybe new ones with a quart of dimensions) or do something to reduce the polygons of them !!!
The terrain "eat" a lot of game resources !
The terrain use too much resources in the game. In my opinion the maps must be smaller not that huge.
See in the photo below how much of the map surface I've used (Less than a quarter of map surface, and the polygons used is still huge).
P.S. In the photo you only see the bottom right of the entire map I've used after I've erased a lot of terrain from it.
Smile today, tomorrow could be worse

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fpsarea/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2015 20:32
Yes I agree or give a choice of sizes at Game Guru startup.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 15:41
Yes this feature would be nice to have, as an adjustable feature, and being able to sculpt terrain on it.

You can use this in the setup.ini to for the terrain to be invisible, but still have the flat ground collision, with almost no terrain impact. superflatterrain=1

Have GG shut down when making this change.

The collision plane will still be there, but at only 4 or 12 polygons. Then you could lay out your objects to be your floor, or even scale a flat plane with a texture you choose on it to represent the ground. Characters will still be able to walk on that flat plane.

significantly reducing the terrain requirements.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Zeuce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2015 20:12 Edited at: 29th Mar 2015 20:16
I agree, I would love to see this, as well as scaled gridlines on the map. That would be excellent!
Desktop: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT420

Laptop: Windows 8.1 64-Bit, Intel Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 6.0GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I agree, I would love to see this, as well as scaled gridlines on the map. That would be excellent!"

Grid lines which you can toggle on/off would be useful for object placement along with the snap to grid feature. As for map dimensions being able to make bigger/smaller maps would be a good idea one day in the future.
PM
Inea
Years of Service
User Offline
Totally agree
PM
Duncan Peck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2015 17:11 Edited at: 5th May 2015 17:20
I was thinking, with reduced map sizes could come additional features. Higher poly terrains. More High definition terrain textures as well. I think this would be an adequate reason to sacrifice map space.

Note: I have no idea of the mathematics of this and whether it would make sense but in principle it seems like a good idea to me.
PM
Calypto
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry if this is a grave dig but I was looking on google to see if this was possible at all. I think it would be a great feature if you could adjust the size of the map up to the current size. I am kind of surprised that this is not already a thing. Personally I need to be able to shrink the size because of the heavy load the terrain takes and my current PC just can't handle it.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2015 19:01
totally agree with the reduction/enlargement of terrain. The user should have an option to be able to select what size terrain they want to start with with the option to increase as levels/maps become larger. I don't see the point in starting off a project with infinite terrain that will never be used. We already know this will increase FPS dramatically.
tommy8
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2015 22:09 Edited at: 4th Sep 2015 22:12
We should have the option of very large terrains which are the size of the current one or even larger again because some people want to make sandbox and free roaming games. Though i agree there should be the option to at least reduce maps to about FPSC classic size or smaller.

Actually, i would quite like an option where you can remove the land altogether so you can have outer space maps where you can control an astronaut in EVA or underwater maps where you are a deep sea diver.

Making it so it can only do small maps would be a bad idea, this software needs to be able to outperform unity plus some because of the price tag.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "We already know this will increase FPS dramatically"

not really as terrain is technically only loaded as it's "seen" so it shouldn't actually make any difference at all as you can easily limit the player view already.

for smaller terrain you can lower the camera distance, it works almost the same but a few differences.

Quote: "Actually, i would quite like an option where you can remove the land altogether so you can have outer space maps where you can control an astronaut in EVA or underwater maps where you are a deep sea diver."

already possible you just need to edit the setup files rather than an actual editor setting

Quote: "Making it so it can only do small maps would be a bad idea, this software needs to be able to outperform unity plus some because of the price tag."

not at all, unity and GG are very different and charging for the core product in no way means it's better or gives more... different companies have different approaches.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
tommy8
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2015 21:45
Quote: "already possible you just need to edit the setup files rather than an actual editor setting"

No reason why it couldn't be in the editor options anyway.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
There is an option to reduce the terrain size in game using the sliders. It doesn't reduce the actual size, just the terrain you can see. It doesn't make a huge difference, but will give you a few extra fps. Combine it with the camera distance for best results.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2015 15:19
DVader wrote: "There is an option to reduce the terrain size in game using the sliders. It doesn't reduce the actual size, just the terrain you can see. It doesn't make a huge difference, but will give you a few extra fps. Combine it with the camera distance for best results."

I already use those and yes, just few extra fps...

http://bestradiolarry.ro/fps/

"The best forum, game software, operating system or web platform, it's that software which can give you most of the features and speed, not just amazing graphics."
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2015 15:32
Choice is the verdict. i don't want a tiny map thank you. so a choice of size sounds the best all round option. maybe 4 size option, small medium big and infinite. works for me. all happy
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
N1warhead
Years of Service
User Offline
Goes back to what I've mentioned somewhere on this forum that - should really give the users the choice to edit or change anything but core functionality of the engine.

if I want a 5x5 meter terrain, then that's what I want, if I want a 512,000 x 512,000 terrain then that's what I want.
hardcoded stuff is generally not the way you want to take things. Otherwise you'll have posts like this.
(Again - no complaining) - just offering solid advice to avoid discussions like this of complaints.
8 Core AMD 4.0Ghz
8 Gigs Ram
Gfx Card - Radeon R9 290 4 Gigs.
PM
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 19:16 Edited at: 24th Nov 2015 19:52
science boy wrote: "INfinate terain terain terain terain terain ( echos to silent )"

The video bellow values more than one billion words if we really need "infinite map", "hugest map", or not ...

How many assets, buildings, forests, AI's etc. do you want to use in just one decent size level map,
and that level can be still remaining playable ?
Use the "indoor.lua" as a trigger, or "noterrain.lua", or "nowater.lua", or all of those,
if you need more space to play IN JUST ONE GAME LEVEL, because you can use a lot of game levels now,
and toggle one by the next levels...
But you will still see the sky limits as a cube in your desired "infinite map"

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2015 22:14 Edited at: 24th Nov 2015 22:15
i wrote a very suitable option as in choice for the developer, why should we have only one size for all? i think you are being unreasonable a bit larry no offence but some people are happy with small size maps and some with medium etc. some people want skyrims and fall out 4.

the possibility is there and it is on the voting boards and lee thinks it is possible so no problem? i could argue and say we should only have infinate maps, but that would be unfair and selfish as some have less powerful machines and some people use laptops, for about a year tgc have pandered to the lesser machines to make sure they work, i have no problems at all with that, but why should you hold an engine back at least from trying. you are asking to limit game guru with this thread.

my machine handles the large maps with ease and everything on max. a lot of gamers have to have a good machine these days to play the best, but not all have powerful machines, i consider mine average to be honest.
gtx970 amd 6core 6300

the basics. so again my point is why not let the high end guys who want a infinate world skyrim etc do that, and you can have your maps too. choice is the keyword i was attempting to say. not everyone has the same ideas or computers.
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Old Larry
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2015 08:52 Edited at: 25th Nov 2015 08:53
Is OK to have some different size of map: Huge, large, medium and smallest. For the moment in that new v 1.1
we have only one huge map.
And the same huge map appearing if click on the "new random map"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:47:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:47:14