Free Models and Media / Merry Christmas - My Gift To you All

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 20th Dec 2017 16:41 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2017 10:27
May I take this opportunity to wish one and all a very Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219107#msg2592672
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Graphix! Nice! Merry Christmas.
Jim C
Stab in the Dark software
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2017 02:53
I think Marvel owns the rights to that model??????
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2017 07:34
Disney now!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 21st Dec 2017 10:52
Quote: "I think Marvel owns the rights to that model??????"

I created GuruMan from scratch he may look like something else but he is not I have never used any other name for him also there are a lot of differences between the two Guruman only flies 2 feet off the ground in a horizontal position he does not fire anything from his chest or hands his suit is completely different as well.

If because my visual representation is to close to a certain famous character and TGC are not happy with it I will remove him from the forums.

I apologise if I have offended or upset anyone with posting this Model
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 21st Dec 2017 12:43 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 11:01
I have had an 'off the record chat' with my Company Lawyer here is his response:

Quote: "Typically something like a rifle as a physical object is not under copyright, but could have a patent; Which is not something you would infringe upon by making a 3d representation of it. What you have to watch out for are companies that copyright their orthographic designs as a three dimensional design. This requires a lot of research if you want to go by the book.

What this means is that all 3d representations of said designs even with significant changes are a derivative work, this usually applies to fictional items from the entertainment industry, star trek, star wars etc. Other things like airplanes, boats, cars etc. are difficult to find information on, but the thing that typically gets people in trouble are using logos and trademarked names.
The thing to remember here is that if you violate a copyright or trademark and are on their radar you will first receive a cease and desist. The C&D is a road map to litigation and proves that you neglected to follow their request before a lawsuit is filed. If you don't heed it they will then come after you and things can get ugly.
Getting into fair use doctrine is a different ball game altogether, but there are a couple main things to remember about fair use, If you are not profiting from the work and using it in a capacity of education or research you will typically be fine. Another way fair use can be helpful is if you have changed the original design significantly. Places like turbosquid will typically not take the risk on this, but if you take a car and make it unrecognizable you can typically claim fair use because of a serious alteration of the original design. But this is another situation where you have to weigh the risks. If you are on their radar, they will come after you if you did not heed the C&D. "

So I believe GuruMan comes under "derivative work" I have not made him for profit and I don't think he will make millions for anyone.

If TGC wants me to remove him I will, just to enforce the 'fair use' I have created a new texture for him so if anyone is worried you can use this texture.

REMOVED

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2017 13:50
I always find this argument really silly, its like saying to someones kid "get that Batman outfit off your not Batman and it hasnt got Disney on the label"
Or "you are not allowed to make a paper mache model of the Hulk because you are in copyright infringement" lol the mind boggles honestly!
Now if you was to sell the model off in the thousands and claiming that it actually is that character fair play.
but a gift not claiming that?
Cummon people :/
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2017 14:19 Edited at: 21st Dec 2017 14:21
It is a fine line for sure. Your character has hints of looking like some character from movies.
If you are not selling it or not using it in a commercial game, all should be fine.

In a commercial game you (graphix), may need to sign a release form for use to whom ever wants to use it in the commercial game.

As far as weapons go, there was a discussion around 3 years ago which would have put most of the stock weapons in question, just because of what they are named. But no further info came from that and Game Guru as far as I know, have not received a C&D letter for them.

Fine line.
For all that are gathering media for commercial games, It is best to get a signed release from the artist you get your media from.
Will make your life a bit easier when it comes time to publish, or you use a publishing company.

Thanks for the Character.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2017 18:41
Ahh, C&D orders, I love the noise they make hitting the door mat.
PM
Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 03:52 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 03:54
Thanks again GraPhiX for the blue skin. There is a star wars character in the tgc store. Light saber and all. I wouldn't worry. Merry Christmas! Oh by the way' I'm calling him Aluminum Man!
Jim C
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 04:15 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 04:52
I thought that the forum had a rule about posting possible copywrited material with out TGC permission.
Also It still looks like the famous character.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 10:35 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 11:01
Quote: "I thought that the forum had a rule about posting possible copywrited material with out TGC permission.
Also It still looks like the famous character."

Its not a copyrighted model as Graphix made it himself from scratch textures and all as Guru Man
He has never indicated him as anything else. The fact it looks like a famous character would only cause an issue if used commercially and Marvel decided to take action ... As is its just a free model with no money is changing hands ...

Now these are actually breaking the law .. Blatantly selling and making profit from the character by name ..
The buyer could not use it commercially anyway ..
https://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm?keyword=iron+man
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 10:48
I look a lot like my next door neighbor,I hope he dosent sew me for copyright .merry Christmas guys .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 11:00
it is with great regret but I am removing GuruMan from the forums, I do not want to cause any issues or problems for TGC or any user.

I apologise for any upset or harm this has caused anyone, I will create some brand new Characters and donate them to TGC (not anything that looks like anyone we know).

I am so sorry to have caused this confusion, I have learned a lot creating GuruMan my next creations will only be better.

Merry Christmas to you all
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@GraPhix

If there was an issue we would have removed it..
No problems here or apology required in this case .
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 14:13
Thanks for the thought anyway GraPhix I know you worked a long time on that model and it was very generous of you.

Hope you have a great Christmas.

Cheers.

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 15:25
I think it's fine to give it away as long as you state 'for personal use only' or something similar.
PM
Pink Panther
Years of Service
User Offline
Merry Christmas GraPhix !
PM
JPH-GAMES
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 18:35
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too GraPhiX
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 19:39 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 19:41
Quote: "
We allow the sharing of media for free amoungst community members. Before uploading any media you must adhere to the following rules.
1. Never upload anything that is not your own work. â—¦This includes 3rd party media you have made GameGuru ready.
â—¦ 3rd Party media that is free for commercial use may be uploaded with the permission of a moderator. â—¾In this case you must supply the moderator is full evidence that you can upload the media and adhere to the original authors requirement.
â—¾A moderators decision is final

2.Retexture a 3rd party model does not make it your own work nor does slightly editing the model.
3.You may upload media that uses 3rd party textures providing your are allowed to do so by the texture owner. Prove may be required.
4.You may NOT under any circumstances rip media of any kind from other games and upload them in any form.
5.You may not upload scripts that use code from other users, nor scripts that require additional scripts that you don't own to function.

Breaches of the above policy will almost certainly lead to a ban and may result in you being removed from the forums for life.
"

Pretty sure the forum rules cover it.
Also associating that model likeness with GameGuru by calling it Guruman should
definitely raise a red flag for the game creators.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 19:51
Quote: "Also associating that model likeness with GameGuru by calling it Guruman should
definitely raise a red flag for the game creators.
"

Lee gave it the ok,so everything is cool with GG

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 19:58 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 19:59
Lee gave it the ok,so everything is cool with GG"

Then Lee may want to change the forum rules.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 21:16 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 22:04
1. Never upload anything that is not your own work
This was all Graphix's own work

2.Retexture a 3rd party model does not make it your own work nor does slightly editing the model.
This was all Graphix's own work not a retexture

3.You may upload media that uses 3rd party textures providing your are allowed to do so by the texture owner. Prove may be required.
Doesnt apply

4.You may NOT under any circumstances rip media of any kind from other games and upload them in any form.
Graphix's Character was completely created by himself therefore not ripped from anything or anywhere

5.You may not upload scripts that use code from other users, nor scripts that require additional scripts that you don't own to function.
Doesnt apply

Personally i cant see what your trying to point out here, synchromesh is a moderator and had np with it, Lee also had np with it nobody else seemed to have a problem with it. Why is it you do m8? Not being funny here but nothing in that quote actually applied in this case.

and Merry Xmas Graphix keep up the great work your doing m8
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 21:58 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 22:10
Quote: "Pretty sure the forum rules cover it."

@Stab in the Dark
Exactly which rule specifically do you feel applies to that model ?

You may also be interested in ...
https://www.tgcstore.net/product/25533
https://www.tgcstore.net/product/25534
https://www.tgcstore.net/product/25536
https://www.tgcstore.net/product/28416
https://www.tgcstore.net/product/24770
https://www.tgcstore.net/product/30366
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 22:37
Then Lee may want to change the forum rules."

Nothing in those rules says you can't share your own models that are likenesses. It only covers actually ripping somebodies work out of a game etc.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 23:22 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 23:59
The only way this would even cause a ripple in the Disney legal department would be if someone created a game with GG and sold it on Steam with this model in and called it "Avengers vs Zombies" or something similar.

Mind you I once got a C&D from some law firm supposedly working on behalf of Microsoft suggesting that a game I was working on shared some common elements as a game they were working on and that somehow I must be stealing their ideas! They went on to state that should I continue with my work and release the game with these shared elements I would be subject to legal action!

I never found out if they were actually working for Microsoft as I ended up dropping the project for other reasons, the daft thing was that I had no idea Microsoft were even working on a similar game! According to them I supposedly 'surmised' these common elements from a press release that I had never even seen made at a games convention in LA, where I have never been!, and as far as I could tell had never been mentioned in any press over here.

This was back in 1992 btw.

I wish I'd kept it and had it framed, probably be worth something now.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2017 23:45 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2017 23:46
Quote: "The only way this would even cause a ripple in the Disney legal department would be if someone created a game with GG and sold it on Steam with this model in and called it "Avengers vs Zombies" or something similar. "

I once made the Bridge of the USS Enterprise for Raven softwares Elite Force ..
Ironically Raven software were not licenced make or to include theirs in the official game so they asked me to do one as a fan based map because apparently Paramount couldn't sue me as a normal user making a map .... Provided I didn't sell it of course

Attachments

PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 23rd Dec 2017 00:27 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2017 00:53
Thank you all for your comments I am quite proud of what I achieved it took me a good six months to make him and it was a rollercoaster ride I got stuck with the scripting and animation but persevered and the end result even surprised me

anyone ever heard of 'Iron Girl'

IRONGIRL - (c)2017 GraPhiX

I hope this helps to put this to rest
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2017 00:54
Quote: "Then Lee may want to change the forum rules."

Nah, I think we are good there, Judge Dredd.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Nah, I think we are good there, Judge Dredd."

LMAO !!
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 23rd Dec 2017 06:59
And the good will always prevail.
reading this up to now have put a smile on my face.
thumbs up for all off you but ........ lets leave it there.

AWESOME GraPhiX
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 23rd Dec 2017 10:26 Edited at: 13th May 2020 19:42
Thank You all for your support and PM's

Not for commercial use ... GraPhiXMaN is used to demonstrate PBR Reflections...
Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental

does GraPhiXMaN sound ok ?

New Suit:

Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-9700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB - 1TB NVe SSD 2TB Hybrid Data Drive
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Various Tutorials by me

Attachments

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2017 10:56
You gonna start on 'Peace Machine' next?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2017 11:04 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2017 11:05
Now you have mastered characters I'm Looking forward to seeing some of your creations we can use in our games
The PBR Reflections are amazing ..
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2017 12:43
Nice one GraPhiX .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2017 19:17
Quote: "anyone ever heard of 'Iron Girl'

IRONGIRL - (c)2017 GraPhiX "

They beat you to it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4144156/
vrg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2017 19:50
Thanks, merry Christmas and a happy new year
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 23rd Dec 2017 20:51
Quote: "You gonna start on 'Peace Machine' next?"

LOL I'm going to give Moose a bit of TLC see what I can do with him, I have learned a lot since I started him
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 00:02
I hate when politics, rights, risks cohart the free artistic ability of people ... but 2017 ends ... And the great models come!
Happy New Year!
New year ... new games !!!
The game is a serious thing (El juego es una cosa seria)
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Very good. I can see some space armour in the near future. Excellet work, keep it up.

And "Iron Girl" looked the same more or less the same and was called Rescue (Says the geek in me!).

SC
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
NAMECHANGED27
Years of Service
User Offline
Neat, pretty good work there.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 16:24:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 16:24:07