Work In Progress / [WIP] Skeleton wars

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
making a turn-based game in GG, needs a lot more work but as you can see the basic system is in place (not bad for first attempt and only 1 day's work)... i wont be adding too much to it as it's likely to get confusing very fast and i would need a way to limit what you can do outside of combat or something - healing isn't implemented yet for this reason, i dont want the player to just heal too easy, maybe some form of mana from kills to use along with the action points.

dont really have any major direction or goal with this game, it just started as a curiosity into if turn-based can even work, it's likely to turn into a mini game (if it can ever see some form of completion) but i'm planning to add the wizards and maybe have it so that they are necromancers who are summoning the skeleton warriors and you are a skeleton that managed to retain your humanity who wants to stop them.

- turning 90 degrees costs 1 action point, turning 180 degrees costs 2.
- damage is higher the more action points you have (thus it's better to attack earlier in the turn rather than charging into battle and trying to attack them with your last action points)
- shielding ends the turn but is more effective depending on how many action points you had when you triggered it (and is reset on your next turn)

still a long way to go but i thought you might enjoy something different
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
TheSourceCode
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks very interesting, and surprisingly good for one days work... Nice job.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Very Nice smallg....
I see so much potential for that ...... I envy your scripting skills
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 15:29
Irregular terrain with cliffs, fire, lava, etc, as scenario for the battles would be nice, increase the danger, and the chance to take damages.

Nice work smallg.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2015 20:33
This looks interesting, would like to see how this develops nice one
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline

little bit of progress - had some issues with the skeletons not "seeing" the player so i had to keep trying to fix it but i ended up with a kinda 1/2 workaround... it's not so noticeable now anyway.

- added a script for a zone that will block the player from entering any unintended areas (such as walking through walls) as i can't use physics for any of the characters as this causes the camera to zoom in extra close (as my actual third person character is just a hidden entity i'm using to swap between the skeletons)
- added an animation for skeletons that are on the map but can't see you (when it's their turn), allows you to better see where enemies are as i kinda want to keep the camera zoomed in more than the original video
- added combat mode (technically added more action points for when the enemy can't see you) - so you can now move further when not fighting, should speed up the game a bit and offsets the delay for the new skeleton turns.
- tweaked blocking to now be more effective (again)

Quote: "Irregular terrain with cliffs, fire, lava, etc, as scenario for the battles would be nice, increase the danger, and the chance to take damages"

terrain unfortunately is not possible right now, without physics moving up works but they dont fall back down - it's already a small issue with the graves making them float a bit (and character 'y' values always report 600 regardless of their actual height so can't even script a solution)
i may add some form of fireball from the necromancer though, i like that

i've decided this will definitely become a mini game with a necromancer boss, i plan to make the necromancer have a few "lives" and fly around the graveyard as you kill him, and spawn more skeletons the longer you leave him be.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2015 19:17
now this is guantlet game making right here fantastic work

looking forward to watch this unfold
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 14:41:01
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 14:41:01