Product Chat (Early Access) / Sci-Fi Indoor Test - GameGuru MAX

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2022 21:45 Edited at: 11th Mar 2022 21:47
I wanted to to try building a few modular parts and build a small sci-fi map in MAX to test it and see how well MAX would perform. My main purpose was to learn working in MAX and see if I could come up with a working strategy that worked for me. I hope you guys don't mind me sharing some screen shots of my experiments here. This level is not for an actual game. I don't plan to do anything with it other than to test MAX. By testing MAX I mean things like getting models into MAX, testing frame rates, seeing how things look, and seeing what issues I run into. I am also using this as an opportunity to run into issues so I can report issues on GitHub and make request that I hope will get implemented to make my life and, hopefully, other MAX users' lives better, too.

So, here are a few screen shots of what I've been up to:

I started by building pieces in Blender. I wanted to have pieces and parts that I could use to connect together a level however I wanted. Here's a shot of what my (fairly) current objects list looks like:

I could use these to drag onto the view port and make my interior sci-fi level. Here's what it looked like as I started to lay down some floor and wall pieces:

Then I added door and roof tiles:

Eventually it all started to come together:

Even added in some funky barrels just for a bit of decoration and fun:

For the most part, I am pleased with what MAX is giving me. I am getting a consistent 100 fps on my rig throughout the level. I'm not using heavy polygonal models and I did make my own custom collision meshes to control things further because polygonal collision and collusion hulls can be expensive. Even so, I was till getting 100 fps before I made my own collision meshes. I made my own in anticipation of slowdowns down the road as I added more details, enemies, etc.

MAX has not been without its issues. For the most part, it's been a great experience to work with. But recently (the last two builds) the gizmo has been acting up, making moving objects about a bit of a PITA. Other than that, it's been a blast. Nothing like getting those doors working and moving through a level you've created and experiencing it first hand.

I'm looking forward to further tests with MAX.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2022 23:29
That is a seriously impressive level, I really like the edges of the walls and doors, the scuffs etc.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, EVGA GTX1070ti 8gb Nvidia gfx card.

Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Novation Ultranova Synth, Roland D05 Synth, Akai MPX8 sample player, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Asus Ryzen 7 Vega 10 gfx chip, Vivobook Laptop, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram.

Cherry audio Voltage Modular Synth, PS-20 Synth, Eight Voice Synth, CS2600 Synth, JU106 Synth. Samson Graphite 49 Midi Controller Keyboard
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
@Argent_Arts
Nice work, and alot of work at that! Quite a design there, though it's hard to tell if this is a friendly base or not. It does seem a little spooky in certain ways... but I guess you wouldn't fully know until you went in and explored- carefully!

??
I got two of the same objects on the map. One got set to "Box" collision-- I don't know how, the other is still set at "Polygon" as I believe is it's original setting. I was wondering if yourself can see the "Polygon" Collision Shape selectable for MAX objects. I just noticed I can't see that on the list if it had to be used. So just wondering if it's just me not knowing what's happening?
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the compliments (@everyone)! I appreciate them.

@GlubbyBlips:

Polygon collision is only selectable for an object if it's set to Static. If it's set to Physics On or Physics Off, then you won't see it in the list. So, if you want polygon collision, first set your object to Static. However, polygonal collision can be pretty heavy to use (of course, depending on how many polys the model has). It's better to use box or some simple shape if you can get away with it. Or create your own collision mesh that's as simple as it can be, approximating the shape (unless the object is really super simple).
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2022 06:22 Edited at: 12th Mar 2022 06:23
@Argent_Arts-looks awesome, inspires me to make a Tron like game (saw the original film back in 1979 and was obsessed for a while). Love playing the Tron2 PC game when it came out. Nice work.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 00:44:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 00:44:40