Product Chat (Early Access) / Is I really going to be ready?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2022 09:54
I know the planned release date is 25th of March.
But is it truly going to be ready for that date? Because as far as I can see, there still seems to be a number of issues.

For instance:

Dropping of FPS (even on a small map),

Speech not working right ( very hit and miss)

Zombies just standing there with no movement (if you place multiple characters in map) ,

Bodies still freezing in mid air when shot,

The reaction to sound doesn’t work more often than not,

When shooting from a distance using a scope it causes no damage and the enemy just stands still with no sign of being hit.

And these are just some of the ones I have experienced over the last week And I’m pretty sure others are experiencing more.

So, will these issues be rectified on release or are we looking at another pause on the release date?
Processor i9-9900k CPU@ 3.60GHZ
Ram 32GB
Windows 10 64bit
GeForce RTX 2060
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2022 10:29
I think they are very close they are working on performance the commencing week so i feel that will be a good build friday coming

As to ai its work in progress and will continue even after the release

Its bugs that are known and they are onto it. They still have 2 and a half weeks yet
still they may push it back a couple of weeks and maybe not. It's up to them and where they feel they are with it all.

I think they will release but with a disclaimer till its completed as in shooter games and the rest
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2022 10:37
Nowhere near ready, but they are working on it, release could be delayed, but that's their choice.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2022 15:55 Edited at: 6th Mar 2022 15:57
Quote: "Nowhere near ready, but they are working on it, release could be delayed, but that's their choice."

I think it will be ok for Early Alpha .. What happened to Alpha Builds ?
In my day they Alpha Builds were rarely even shown to the public.
Usually bugged to hell Buttons inoperative etc and nobody expected anything near what Max is now.
You were lucky to get screenshots
No one ever really leaves.
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In my day they Alpha Builds were rarely even shown to the public.
Usually bugged to hell Buttons inoperative etc and nobody expected anything near what Max is now.
You were lucky to get screenshots "

How true that is! Internal builds, only! Even betas were for a select number who were invited or who applied to be testers (even if it was free). They had to show they had sufficient knowledge to test the software and report a bug. ... at least know what an alpha and beta was and what that meant in terms of software development.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
Supe
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2022 18:21 Edited at: 6th Mar 2022 18:22
(even if it was free)
indeed.
Desktop: corei5, ram32, graphic card6GB
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KtN6HMp1VEInALBZ89hmUBwfzqbeL9Wz/view?usp=sharing
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
I meant, even if the testers were testing for free. Not if the application were free.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
Supe
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2022 06:12 Edited at: 7th Mar 2022 06:31
Quote: "I meant, even if the testers were testing for free. Not if the application were free."

I understand your point, but even if tgc put MAX alpha for free, it was not worth testing. I apologize to this company(tgc), but tgc did not even come close to alpha level standards in the past. but now they are good to release.
Desktop: corei5, ram32, graphic card6GB
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KtN6HMp1VEInALBZ89hmUBwfzqbeL9Wz/view?usp=sharing
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "... but even if tgc put MAX alpha for free, it was not worth testing."

Wow. That's harsh. And I disagree. While I've think there's a lot that could have and could be done better, MAX is shaping up to be quite an interesting product and I've had a blast testing it. It was "worth it" for me.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 7th Mar 2022 13:31 Edited at: 7th Mar 2022 13:33
Quote: "In my day they Alpha Builds were rarely even shown to the public."

Back in the 90's when i was working QA for OSI/SSI/EA the beta/release format was 1. Early Alpha (internal only), 2. Final Alpha (still internal only), 3. Closed Beta (internal and invite only), open beta (available for anyone who applied), Pre-Release Easy Access (for pre-release purchases)

We would have never have released an Alpha build even to pre-purchase customers, and we definitely wouldn't release an alpha state build as an early access.
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2022 22:19
At the moment more bugs are being added than fixed from my experience, but could all be sorted in one update - who knows.

Well, won't be long and we will see how it goes

OldFlak....

System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2022 23:19
Yeah my models physics have gone all pete tong. Just losing patience with it you sort it out after they mess it up then they mess it up again. So i will not even bother for now
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2022 01:13 Edited at: 9th Mar 2022 01:14
Is this where I tell everybody that objects are falling through the ground?
For example I put the MAx waterfall on the map, walked up to it, it pendulums back and forth and slips through the ground like it's a mouse trying to escape from a a cats grasp.
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2022 02:43 Edited at: 9th Mar 2022 03:11
Quote: "Is this where I tell everybody that objects are falling through the ground?
For example I put the MAx waterfall on the map, walked up to it, it pendulums back and forth and slips through the ground like it's a mouse trying to escape from a a cats grasp."

Select your waterfall, go to Developer Settings, check IsImmobile. Problem solved.

Or ...

With the waterfall selected, go to General, Static Mode and select Physics Off.

EDIT: In this case, the error isn't with the engine, but with the default setting for the waterfall. Whoever created that asset should have set it to have physics off by default, I believe. Still, it's something you should check when you bring an asset into your game. You want to make sure that every asset you use has the correct setting - static, physics on, etc. - the correct collision type - box, cylinder, etc.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2022 16:34
My assets do have the correct settings ghey were perfect a year ago and then thet bungled it up so i went into. Y model software savex various versions took over a month to sort the error then happy days and

Now they have bungled it up again. As i say waiting on a few builds but seriously over about 3 months spent on the atrocious physics and entities so i am hoping its a glit h their end and this will sort itself when they get the lroduct on track
This is not my full time. Job. Tgc however it is

Not amgry jusy blooming frustrated but hey thats alphas
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
My remarks about checking were directed at Glubby, just to be clear.

As far as MAX sometimes swapping out collision types (changing polygonal for box, for example), this was (or is?) an issue that was reported on GitHub. I'm not certain if it's been fixed yet or not. But you should always report these things on GitHub. That's where they get noticed and, hopefully, fixed. Especially now, since they are going through a bug-fix marathon as they are getting ready for the March Early Access release.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2022 20:27
Hey no aim at anyone agent we are cool i hope.

And anyone who could decipher my last message needs To work for the government.
I was on my works phone when typing amd had to type fast as regional manager is about today so i have rushed..

As i said before frustrating with max at present but that's the way of an alpha
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
"go to Developer Settings"
That's ridiculous. All setting should be available in one keyboard shortcut menu. Don't know where they acquired the pandering to that sort of idea to hide stuff? I guess because they ran out of real estate (screen space)? Overall I would like the entire UI re-vamped and redesigned so the experience is sensible and friendly! Wasn't that the whole idea?
Hire me for the job and things would be looking incredibly awesome, super smooth efficiency and with everyone having big shiny smiles across the world! cha-ching TGC!

"Everyone should fix MAX assets before using"
See above--
Here's the new MAX Hub NOTICE BEFORE USE;
1> Now everyone go and activate your "Developer Settings". (REQUIRED)
2> Notice the settings, then click a different one for the object you are using.
3> Repeat step 2 if that selection doesn't work with chosen object.
4> Optionally ask in the forums which mode the object should be using...
5> Repeat step 2 through 4 for ALL the rest of the objects you place on your map.
6> If you need further help on how to wade through the UI to find these settings...
Youtube link here......

Should we put that notice up on MAX Hub at start?

"the error isn't with the engine"
You mean any object set with "Physics On" is supposed to wiggle down through the terrain and disappear?
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2022 21:34 Edited at: 9th Mar 2022 21:37
Sigh. Okay, let's start again.

You don't have to go to Developer's settings at all. That was just ONE WAY to do it. You can just do the second way I suggested above, which, actually, should have been the first way I suggested, because it was the better way to accomplish what you wanted... just set the waterfall to Physics off and be done with it. No need to have to turn on any "hidden" settings. It's all right there. Nothing hidden away.

BTW - Do we need to remind you, again, that this is ALPHA software? That this is not a FINAL release? And that even the March 25th release is not the FINAL release, but an EARLY ACCESS release (still an alpha or possibly a beta release)? Instead of getting all bent out of shape, report your the waterfall asset on GitHub, that it should have Physics Off as the proper setting. That's the proper way to make sure that MAX assets are set up properly for when it finally ships as a FINAL release instead of venting on a forum where the developers won't read what you've said.

Quote: "You mean any object set with "Physics On" is supposed to wiggle down through the terrain and disappear?"

No. Not at all. Look at the barrel objects. They have physics on and they don't do this. They have to be proper objects to do this. The waterfall is not one of them. If you set a barrel on the ground, does it "wiggle down through the terrain and disappear"? No, it doesn't. It's not the engine. It's the object. You need to learn what's going on here. An object needs to be prepared properly for physics.
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
@Argent_Arts
I appreciate the help. Thanks for clarifying about the waterfall, now I know and I had no idea. I hope someone can use that information, I am just puttering around with things. This waterfall thingy was a completely random selection- which I observed falling through the ground, so thought I'd mention it. Mostly I just script. Scripting comes before making games, so I am not building a map at all. I certainly wouldn't at this point. But prepare for more users to come along WHO ARE! Just get ready with your answers for them.

So for me, it's not about EA bugs.... It's not about "being bent out of shape".... w/ MAX my gripes are really geared toward the UI. I think they went just a bit off kilter on the UI. So it's about everyone. I think more people will start to use MAX in the future than just myself or these forums? I will keep directing my remarks geared at that theory (of helping everyone) that's why I think some things should change. I like some different ideas I have regarding the UI that would make it become COOL!

So if I'm just that one lone special weirdo thinking MAX UI things are a bit odd and could be different, I need to know now! Everyone can pitch in and tell me. Feel free.

PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
BTW, this is why I have tried (but failed) to stay out of MAX forums or getting into MAX because I DO have a project I need to be concentrating on in GGClassic-- ya know that simple predecessor to MAX where you can very quickly get into right away, script test and place things down immediately. It's WONDERFUL! So I need to stay away from MAX and get back into my project to make replayable procedural levels. Have fun ya'all.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2022 23:32 Edited at: 9th Mar 2022 23:37
Needs to be set to Isimmobile by default
I will post it on the Github. Easily sorted if reported.

Edit
Done.
PM
DaveKirk
Years of Service
User Offline
I will be spending the next year or however long all the optimisation takes just doing gameplay tests and learning scripts etc, I've made a really cool level for a military shooter but it runs terrible, with frame drops down to 15fps in some places (i am assuming it is the shadows causing it)
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2022 11:01 Edited at: 10th Mar 2022 11:04
Quote: "(i am assuming it is the shadows causing it)"

Without seeing it i cannot comment on your level but you know you can set specific lights not to cast shadows right ?
A long corridor for example .. or a few corner hidden ones etc
PM
DaveKirk
Years of Service
User Offline
@synchromesh
I read some comments from people that they suspected the shadows from all the trees was causing their performance issues and yes I turn off the cast shadows where necessary/desired.
The level specifically is an island approx 1.5km square, lots of trees and a night setting, The same map with daytime setting doesn't suffer as bad
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2022 14:39 Edited at: 10th Mar 2022 14:48
Quote: "I read some comments from people that they suspected the shadows from all the trees was causing their performance issues and yes I turn off the cast shadows where necessary/desired.
The level specifically is an island approx 1.5km square, lots of trees and a night setting, The same map with daytime setting doesn't suffer as bad "

Ahh right im with you now.
I dont know why but i always assume its shadows indoors that users get slowdowns with.
I wonder why it would be faster in the Daytime with the tree shadows being more apparent ?
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 20:23:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 20:23:36