Product Chat (Early Access) / ggmax at its finest!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Made this week, a passion project !!! just wanted to craft the amazing world from legacy of kain and post release, share it with the legacy of kain community!!

wanted to share the results here, very pleased with the engine and what it can do!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BIALiZ9mvk
PM
UNIRD12B
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2022 17:00
OK Casigus ,
Now..THAT was great !!!!
All With GGM only?

FINALLY someone on here that didn't bitch up a storm about what
the "Engine " cant do , but showed some great possibilities about
what it might be able to do not to badly at all!!!
Very nicely done,,,,,keep it up.

UNIRD12B
Let\'s actually make something happen with this one !
Toxicclowd
Years of Service
User Offline
Love it, Legacy of Kain is my favorite series. It's disappointing that continuing the franchise hasn't been a priority for the devs. Fortunately they're open to fan made projects. If I had more time I'd propose a collaboration, I've started a couple and was briefly on the Legacy of Kain: Prodigal Sons team with Jake Pawlaski. Unfortunately time is always against me and I've never been able to see a project through. Anyway, is this a game or just a demo? You planning to release sometime in the future?

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 20th Jan 2022 17:52 Edited at: 20th Jan 2022 17:52
Not exactly sure what the video is showing, sections are too short to see any thing, overly dramatic music and flashy graphics, there isn't any substance. Yes I am being harsh here, but giving an honest review.
Win10 Pro 64bit----Intel i7 4770k @ 3.5GHZ----GTX 1660 6gig----16gig ram
Toxicclowd
Years of Service
User Offline
@wizard of Id
Not sure if you're familiar with the legacy of kain series, but the last entry to the main story was in 2003. I think the graphics are a good representation of the combination of graphics from that time and the newer graphics capabilities of the engine. The song is "Ozar Midrashim" it is the main theme song of the original games. And for the flashiness of the scenes and lack of substance, it's presented as a trailer, so I don't feel as though it should have to present a clear picture of the story or gameplay details. There are notable things in there that made me think "F*** YEAH!!" like the pillars and some of the architecture. These are things you would have to be a fan of the series to appreciate, otherwise it's just kinda whoopdy doo. Anyway, for what it's worth, my opinion stands, Awesome Job Casigus!
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2022 18:22
Quote: "@wizard of Id
Not sure if you're familiar with the legacy of kain series, but the last entry to the main story was in 2003. I think the graphics are a good representation of the combination of graphics from that time and the newer graphics capabilities of the engine. The song is "Ozar Midrashim" it is the main theme song of the original games. And for the flashiness of the scenes and lack of substance, it's presented as a trailer, so I don't feel as though it should have to present a clear picture of the story or gameplay details. There are notable things in there that made me think "F*** YEAH!!" like the pillars and some of the architecture. These are things you would have to be a fan of the series to appreciate, otherwise it's just kinda whoopdy doo. Anyway, for what it's worth, my opinion stands, Awesome Job Casigus!"

You misunderstand. video doesn't show or reveal any thing, there is quite a bit of stutter, the clips is super short.There is nothing that engages me, whether I played the game or not.
Casigus
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for tthe kind words, was lovely too see some kain fans in here!!! yeah! gonna release this for free to the kain communities. since you have all been so lovely, heres some screen shots. thanks everyone

PM
Casigus
Years of Service
User Offline
Also posted this on the legacy of kain groups on facebook and the response has been amazing, peope buzzing over it which wasn't expecting, but when you log in and see loads of people leaving wow reacts, its fantastic and it really shows amazing things can be done with ggmax.
PM
Casigus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2022 19:08 Edited at: 20th Jan 2022 19:11
as for the negative comments, as a fan and customer of your work ID, well your comments and feed back where very upsetting, double so that ive been a huge supporter of your work and customer and you've made me feel like crap for sharing something I put my heart and soul into.

your comments where not creative critisms, they where digs and bullying almost and that is not acceptable no matter how many badges you have.

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2022 19:14
@Casigus- ignore old captain sour grapes ha. Your efforts are fantastic, and yes I loved playing legacy of kain never finished it though. Well done.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
Casigus
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks Bored of the rings, your user name is fantastic ahaha!! !!
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2022 20:19
oh it's from an old text adventure I used to play what seems like a billion years ago-obviously a parody on Lord of the Rings. Was very funny.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2022 21:00 Edited at: 20th Jan 2022 21:15
Quote: "as for the negative comments, as a fan and customer of your work ID, well your comments and feed back where very upsetting, double so that ive been a huge supporter of your work and customer and you've made me feel like crap for sharing something I put my heart and soul into.

your comments where not creative critisms, they where digs and bullying almost and that is not acceptable no matter how many badges you have. "

Look, you put out a video that doesn't really show any thing, you put it on a public forum, either you going to get negative or positive comments. Claiming to be gameguru max at its finest, nothing in the video, really showed me that, and left me disappointed. I told you what I didn't like about the video stuttering, no indication of what is actually going on in the video, the transition between clips used is too short to get any sort of feel for the environment....now if that isn't criticism then I don't know what is.

Whether good, bad, constructive or otherwise it entirely depends how the person receives it. Even the most well constructed input is going to be received with malice, whether that is the intentional or not.

I didn't like the video......at NO point did I criticize the game it self.......huuuuuge difference, I can't say any thing about the game you created, there isnt enough of it to get a feel for it, just didn't like the video.

Now because you are a customer, your directly implying I can't say ANYTHING unless it is good and sugar coated, it isn't exactly fair, I am entitled to share an opinion equally whether being a customer, a store seller or an outsider just like everyone else. Whether you are a customer or seller or a user has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with sharing an opinion whether good, bad or indifferent as it has no practical application other then implying I am your customer, don't say anything, it is what you are implying, can't say I agree with that, I see it as blackmail.Whether or not you like what I sell and use in your games is your personal preference, you are completely entitled to not buy it for the store, or support me.

It is entirely up to you and have a free choice to do so, I have provided feedback and engaged in conversations for 16 years without having a single person tell me I am your customer, I didn't like what you said, so beware. lol

To be fair you tried to copy the legacy of kain style of trailer, if you compare the two, it is more action packed and you do get a good sense of the game style and environment still a bit sparse.Still don't like this style of trailer either.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2022 21:03
I had bored of the rings on cassette on the 64. Loved my adventure games. Mainly the lord of the rings text adventure although the graphics were basic was not too bad. Better than the extremely harsh hitch hikers guide. Had to lay on the ground to stop a brick killing you. Took me months to work that out.

As to kain.... I have no idea of the series so i couldn't comment.

If its how it's meant to be then thats good and good work for the kain enthusiasts.

In defence of both sides. I do see wizards view to some degree As in the set up i would of thought needed better blending but then if thats how this is meant to be then its not a problem.

I hope you don't take any comments too much to heart.... He is meaning you well to be honest. Critics views can be harsh but they are there to help drive ideas or help you to improve etc.

In life the hardest criticism has been the best advice ever. Cruel to be kind. Learning improving development advancement. All come from honest and true for me advice.

However sometimes it slaps us. But if it did i don't think it was done with any malice. He was trying to point you in the right direction.

I ask if you do any re-textures?

When you buy off the stores i usually always re texture this means darkening or changing the textures altogether so it blends with everything else

If you have not tried it is a fascinating way to explore making your game yours. I am always available for advice if ever need it...

Anyway if this is what you are wanting to achieve then this is fantastic and keep up that inspiration and inspiration is a good thing.

Sb
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Casigus
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks science boy
PM
Toxicclowd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2022 00:08 Edited at: 21st Jan 2022 00:11
@Wizard of id, I see what you're saying about the stuttering, could be the video capture software, or the two software competing for hardware resources. I have a decent rig and GGMax still stutters on me sometimes. There's also the shadow popping, but I get something similar, except for me I've got some lights that just won't show up until you walk right up on them. Regarding substance, sure, some gameplay would have been cool. But it's been in development for a week so, I wouldn't have expected much gameplay to be implemented yet. There were a few spots where I would have liked to see a longer clip, but that just makes me want to watch this project so I can see more as it develops. Overall it's just a matter of opinion, you said you didn't even like the trailer for soul reader 2, so that's just your taste, and I can respect that.
PixelF
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2022 01:42
Lookin good, keep it up!
Casigus
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the feed back everyone
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2022 10:43
Quote: "@Wizard of id, I see what you're saying about the stuttering, could be the video capture software, or the two software competing for hardware resources. I have a decent rig and GGMax still stutters on me sometimes. There's also the shadow popping, but I get something similar, except for me I've got some lights that just won't show up until you walk right up on them. Regarding substance, sure, some gameplay would have been cool. But it's been in development for a week so, I wouldn't have expected much gameplay to be implemented yet. There were a few spots where I would have liked to see a longer clip, but that just makes me want to watch this project so I can see more as it develops. Overall it's just a matter of opinion, you said you didn't even like the trailer for soul reader 2, so that's just your taste, and I can respect that."

If you have a negative comment you are an automatic pariah, a positive comment and you are a hero.........criticism is what helps improve, whether or not it is what you like to hear, one has to be objective and honest otherwise it helps no one better them self.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 21st Jan 2022 16:01
Hi Casigus - I'd be a bit wary of putting too much heart and soul into a development using GG Max at the moment (and it's clear you've done a lot of work on this). There is still a fair way to go for Max and your build could break in so many ways, could end up having a lot of rework to do.
Honestly I'd be wary of thinking you can release this spring, but I like your optimism . If that stuttering is how the game runs (rather than video capture issues), then there is a huge amount of optimisation to do I would think - possibly on the TGC side and yours, just an observation.

Cheers.
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER PassMark: 18125
Toxicclowd
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If you have a negative comment you are an automatic pariah, a positive comment and you are a hero.........criticism is what helps improve, whether or not it is what you like to hear, one has to be objective and honest otherwise it helps no one better them self."

Yeah, you have a point, and it can be really hard to tell from reading text on a screen whether someone is trying to help you out or just being a jerk, lol. Certainly as long as you've been here I don't think you just go around dissing peoples projects. I don't participate much around here, but I stalk the shadows and know who the big names are, you being one of them, having contributed likely more knowledge than I could ever hope to in this community . I had no intention of trying to start a conflict with you or between you and the OP, I just thought you were criticizing his project itself rather than the video, and I just wanted to point out, as a fan of the commercial games, that his project, from what he showed, seems true to the originals. I pointed this out only because I felt that you may not be familiar with the commercial games. Then of course everything went downhill from there, particularly because since you were criticizing the video itself rather than the project, rendered all of my point moot, lol.
Long story short, I apologize if I started any of this, maybe it would have happened without my intervention, maybe not, but regardless, I spoke and therefore bare some of the responsibility.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2022 16:58 Edited at: 21st Jan 2022 16:59
Quote: " I'd be a bit wary of putting too much heart and soul into a development using GG Max at the moment (and it's clear you've done a lot of work on this)"

This is very true.
Development will be continuing and updating constantly on release but that is not the biggest hurdle.
Even Free or Fan based i would make sure Eidos Interactive are happy for you to distribute the title before going any further especially using the Legacy of Kain in the title. Better to find out first rather than them demanding you remove it and taking copyright action after you have spent all the time creating it.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2022 17:08
Quote: "Yeah, you have a point, and it can be really hard to tell from reading text on a screen whether someone is trying to help you out or just being a jerk, lol. Certainly as long as you've been here I don't think you just go around dissing peoples projects. I don't participate much around here, but I stalk the shadows and know who the big names are, you being one of them, having contributed likely more knowledge than I could ever hope to in this community . I had no intention of trying to start a conflict with you or between you and the OP, I just thought you were criticizing his project itself rather than the video, and I just wanted to point out, as a fan of the commercial games, that his project, from what he showed, seems true to the originals. I pointed this out only because I felt that you may not be familiar with the commercial games. Then of course everything went downhill from there, particularly because since you were criticizing the video itself rather than the project, rendered all of my point moot, lol.
Long story short, I apologize if I started any of this, maybe it would have happened without my intervention, maybe not, but regardless, I spoke and therefore bare some of the responsibility. "

Lol everyone has there own style and skill level when it comes to creating games, and art is a subjective thing. There is really nothing like a "bad" game, badly designed game sure, poorly coded, performance issues ect. But never a bad game in the sense of art.

Back in the day of FPScreator users would post games without any light mapping, was always full bright and even the mere suggestion of lightmapping never ended well. People in general do not take kindly to criticism and it isn't a new concept.Thanks for reminding how long I have stuck around.Started game development in my late 20's and now in my 40's.

Misunderstandings is bound to arise......no biggie.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2022 17:30
Quote: "Thanks for reminding how long I have stuck around.Started game development in my late 20's and now in my 40's."

Ahh, a whippersnapper.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2022 17:37
Quote: "Ahh, a whippersnapper. "

okay boomer
Casigus
Years of Service
User Offline
oh aye this took 2 days to make, so not a full blown serious life long thing. Yeah you made alot of sense and my reaction was a bit of a reflex, I must apologise to the wizard of ID for the way i responded to their critisms and thank you for expressing them. All your comments are appriiecated
PM
Casigus
Years of Service
User Offline
and yes A big missunderstanding on my part when you where just trying to offer opinions. I am sorry I misread it!!
PM
Toxicclowd
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Started game development in my late 20's and now in my 40's."

Lol, I'm 40, Started late teens with 3D game studio(Acknex). Stuck with them mostly until it started to die(its a shame). Moved to UDK, Then unreal 4, Unity, now here. Never released a project. Been on teams that eventually released something, but never my own project. Mainly an artist but have an understanding of programming, but nothing modern(used to write AOL proggies in Visual Basic(not .Net) . I mainly use sketchup and photoshop. I know 3ds max but most things are faster in sketchup and topology issues aren't as big of an issue with modern hardware and engines, though I do sometimes clean up in max. I unwrap in max. Photoshop for textures and such. Anyway, this is why I stalk the shadows, because when I actually talk, I TALK. lol.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2022 19:49
Quote: "Lol, I'm 40, Started late teens with 3D game studio(Acknex). Stuck with them mostly until it started to die(its a shame). Moved to UDK, Then unreal 4, Unity, now here. Never released a project. Been on teams that eventually released something, but never my own project. Mainly an artist but have an understanding of programming, but nothing modern(used to write AOL proggies in Visual Basic(not .Net) . I mainly use sketchup and photoshop. I know 3ds max but most things are faster in sketchup and topology issues aren't as big of an issue with modern hardware and engines, though I do sometimes clean up in max. I unwrap in max. Photoshop for textures and such. Anyway, this is why I stalk the shadows, because when I actually talk, I TALK. lol.
"

Lol started with game studio too, A6......the old BSP was getting a bit long in the tooth, then switched over to team TGC in 2004 with FPSC only later joined the forums in 2005....
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow. So, there are a few of us that got our start in 3D GameStudio. I actually had a start in A3 back in the day ... the old ACK engine. Came on a floppy on the back cover of a book before oP Group (Conitec) got ahold of it and transformed it to 3D GameStudio. I still have a copy of A8 somewhere on a CD.

Quote: "topology issues aren't as big of an issue with modern hardware and engines"

Oh, they get to be. Even with modern engines and hardware. You should always be mindful of good topology for a wide variety of reasons.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
Lance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2022 20:09
I watched the vide and thought it was a good start . The only thing I didn't like was that some of the props/objects would pop out of the scene as the camera move away .

Lance
Lance

Joined 22nd Jul 2003

PM
Casigus
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks lance
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2022 21:26
I started game coding with machine code on a home made system back when that was the only way of having a 'PC'!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Toxicclowd
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Oh, they get to be. Even with modern engines and hardware. You should always be mindful of good topology for a wide variety of reasons. "

I agree that there should be a concern for topology. Just saying that it's not as big a deal as it once was in regards to performance. I know that sketchup has a tendency to create very sloppy meshes with lots of unnecessary triangles. I'm just saying that if I'm working on something that's not too complex and is pretty low poly, I don't bother fixing the topology to save a few triangles, I have too little time as it is. Now if it's something more complex and higher poly, or if it's showing artifacts or something, then I'll try to clean it up in 3ds max. I rarely do characters or anything that needs animated(because I suck at it,lol), but when I do I worry quite a bit about topology.
So yeah, not trying to say topology or polycount isn't important, just that a few extra polygons here or there doesn't typically break a game like it once would.
Toxicclowd
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Casigus, Thought i'd share a couple of LoK projects i started and abandoned due to time constraints and truthfully, lack of skills at the time.

This was one of the earliest one's. I was trying to make a true replica of the original pillars. admittedly, my texturing is horrible, but it never got completed, so.

These two were supposed to be a somewhat futuristic version of the pillars/throne room and an upward looking view of the subterranian cavern below the pillars. Never finished modelling, much less texturing.

These were going to be an all out futuristic version, composed of metal, plasma beams and effects, holographic banners, etc. As with everthing else, never finished. Lol

Finally, my version of the Soul Reaver blade. Couldnt get the face of the skull to look right, got busy, put it on the back burner and never returned to it. Lol.

Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, Where did you obtain your LoK assets, like the pillars models, soul reaver model, etc? I've looked for them online but can only find character models, like Kain and Raziel.

Casigus
Years of Service
User Offline
omgggg these are amazingggggggggggg!!!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 12:43:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 12:43:19