Product Chat (Early Access) / Can we please get rid of this. ( if possible )

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 06:59 Edited at: 6th Jan 2022 07:01

Yes i know its there for a reason to get a nice and clean update.
But how can anyone start to make a test game or start a learning project
if every time there is an update one will loose there own stuff.
I have lost a great deal of my work , models , scripts , maps and W.I.P stuff
of Classic in the past because of this.

At least give us an option button to have the update and also not loosing any private
user stuff or any models in any subfolder in Max

If this is not possible then I will stop trying to import models and learn how to work
with Max until The final release date. Its frustrating,... Any time you want to verify files or roll back
and then re install one could loose files. The release date is around the corner and then what
are we going to still have it or will it be removed,? ... if so why cant we not have it now already.
Please Thank you.

Ps. at least give me some small Birthday Present.
Current W.I.P
TheValley

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590S CPU @ 3.00GHz
RAM 16GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 07:18 Edited at: 6th Jan 2022 07:21
well all you to do is rename / copy the folder(s) you need to keep, if I want to keep files I rename the folder(s) usually with '_'. then install max then move back your backup files. not hard really, it's a pain in the backside but not hard
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 09:03 Edited at: 6th Jan 2022 09:11
Quote: "it's a pain in the backside but not hard"

i know.....
but if would be nice if they can give an option to not delete user files
I have lost so much in the past I'm still not happy about my lost.
The Bad thing was when Classic and Max was in F:\Program Files (x86) and each in there own sub folder
Max still deleted all off Classic user files.
W.I.P wat were lost
:: Guns of Solo
:: Blue Dream
:: The Sewer hunter
I spend hours and hours to get some of the stuff back with recovery software.
I only manage to get bits and pieces of them.
Current W.I.P
TheValley

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
RAM 16GB
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 09:28
Besides this being an Alpha you cannot blame TGC for where you install MAX, the defaults for install would be best adhered too until final release, your custom files are designed to go into a 'custom write folder' this folder does get backed up when an update is released, the core files should be in Program Files, i agree that all scripts, audio folders etc.. should be in one place in the writable folder having them in two places is a bit silly especially with Program Files being a protected system folder.

Easy fix is to use the defaults on install, put your writable folder where you want but best to leave the core in program files
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-9700K @4.2GHz - 64GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB - 2TB NVe, 1TB NVe, 2TB Hybrid Data Drive
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Asset Manager
xRange No Nonsense Tools
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 09:35
Hi GraPhiX
Quote: "you cannot blame TGC for where you install MAX"

No I don't blame them. I'm just not happy with all the stuff I lost, and would not want anyone else to go thru the same.
Current W.I.P
TheValley

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
RAM 16GB
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 09:43 Edited at: 6th Jan 2022 16:17
Quote: "if every time there is an update one will loose there own stuff."

You shouldn't be losing your "stuff" when updating.

All the core files and "stuff" provided by TGC in Max is in your program files, you should not be placing any of your own files there. User files are in a folder in your documents folder, which shouldn't be deleted when you update etc. in fact it creates a backup copy just in case when you update.

Quote: "but if would be nice if they can give an option to not delete user files"

It doesn't delete your user files, that is if you are using Max properly and using the folder in documents for user files as you're supposed to. It was separated this way to specifically avoid overwriting or losing user files, so if it is deleting them then it's a bug and it should be reported on github.
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 09:43
yes, so GraPhix is correct, you should put all your own stuff in the documents gameapps folder and when it comes to updates either rename / copy the folder just in case. You should never put your own stuff in the GGMAX install folders, I only do it if I'm testing to see what happens, but mainly store all my stuff in the docs area. Anyway, hopefully lesson learnt. Great you managed to salvage some stuff using recovery software.

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
UltraVox
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 09:55
Hi

I lost a very complete map overnight. The terrain no longer works. I pass through it, there is no longer any terrain collision. The trees have also disappeared, probably because of the tree system which refers to collisions in the terrain to deposit them. The size of the map has decreased, without any valid reason, and without explanation. All in one day But, I am aware that NOTHING should be serious about building with Max, in the state of his current development. You just have to test the product, and report the bugs to Github. That's all. So I don't blame anyone either. But I am reporting the bug here. This is the second time that this has happened. The first time, the entire project + its maps has disappeared altogether. I checked the directories. Everything has disappeared. Max deleted them! We have to make daily backups. Leave nothing to chance. If you imagine that in Max's current state everything is going to be fine, then you'd be wrong and it's your fault (dare I say it). This stuff (Max) is barely able to save the job. And sometimes he doesn't. So, you can't count on him to manage a map, let alone a game project. He's only an Alpha, and I think he's a pre-Alpha Play with him, but don't do anything serious and make backups of... everything !
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 10:14
yes, which is why I said:
Quote: " I only do it if I'm testing to see what happens"

Don't do anything serious with MAX yet, it's got a long way to go.

@Ultravox- [off topic] yes went to see Ultravox back in 1986 UVOX album promotion tour at Hammersmith Odeon, they were terrible until they started playing their old stuff of that time, but still one of my favourite bands of that time and today. Yes I'm old(ish) ha
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe Updating the \ Documents \ GameGuruApps \ being updated is only a temporary thing for the weekly Alpha build updates as internal testing we get 3 or 4 updates a week without touching it . This only happens on the build main update as a clean slate i think so we are all on the exact same Alpha but as stated they are backed up unlike the core that is completely wiped.

You can either just rename the folder back to GameGuruMax or just grab your "files" folder and copy it over without overwriting any duplicate files which may have been updated.

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 11:43 Edited at: 6th Jan 2022 11:45
Quote: "Yes I'm old(ish) ha"

Im 57 today

edit: by the way how can i make an entity always active in Max.?
My plain only fly a couple of meters. lol
Current W.I.P
TheValley

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
RAM 16GB
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 11:45
ok you beat me, I'm 52, 53 in April
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 11:46
GG keep me young at heart
Current W.I.P
TheValley

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
RAM 16GB
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 13:42
I have my writable folder on seperate drive.
You can put most things in the writable folder now including scripts, audio, and particles.
Sometimes MAX will create a backup of your writable folder no matter where it is, and create a fresh one - I usually just delete it and rename the backup again and it works fine.

63 here

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
UltraVox
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 14:12
Max is installed on my C drive (SSD).

@Bored of the Rings [off topic]

I was only 15 years, in 1985. I am 51 today.
Here, with my father, we were 30 meters from the singer (right in front of him) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg6SaWUwDXM
It was to celebrate my birthday, 15 years old (July 24). It was at Wembley Stadium in London in 1985.
UltraVox influenced me a lot musically. New Wave Trend I became a DJ for +/- 20 years, then a sound engineer, specialized in Audio Mastering (today).
UltraVox
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 15:21
Can someone explain to me how Kitakazi got today, the version of Max which is for tomorrow? Obviously, there is something that escapes me.
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/1731
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 15:37
@Ultravox- not sure how that he could have got that. in response to your last post, I was 17 when I first saw UV at Wembley. still have the ticket stub. I had the privilege to be taught by Paul Weller's drummer of the time Steve White and long time teacher Lloyd Ryan (tutor to Phil Collins and the like). Been in many bands and played at Hamburg stadium at the age of 13/14 with military bands. it goes on, without blowing my own trumpett too much. My brother (has the same name as Ocean Colour Scene singer), is more of a sound engineer than me. I'm terrible at mixing.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 15:43 Edited at: 6th Jan 2022 15:44
I think billy curry was the driving force behind the scenes ha ing links with visage Nd even souxsie and the banshees. Was shocked to know midge was a vicar prior to the band. Class band and i quoted a bit of a cryptic message on another thread my fave has to be the voice. Oh and im 51 going on 52

Back on topic i think there needs to be a better splash screen to inform to back up your own work
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Can someone explain to me how Kitakazi got today, the version of Max which is for tomorrow? Obviously, there is something that escapes me."

Yes he is probably an internal tester.
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 16:02
Looks like a great deal of the forum users are on the older side.
Current W.I.P
TheValley

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
RAM 16GB
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 16:22
and highly experienced
UltraVox
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 16:23
@synchromesh

How do you become an internal tester ?
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "How do you become an internal tester ?"

Usually you are approached by TGC.
Previous work in the past perhaps ?
PM
UltraVox
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 17:42
Working with TGC in the past ? No.
I have already done translations of English/French programming software (Delphi/CPP).

I programmed some software at the time of FPSC/Relodead (SkyCube 3D), to create and manage SkyBoxes in Reloaded, with a real-time 3D representation to test the skyboxes before exporting (DirectX compatible, he even knew how to create planets in 3D to integrate into your skybox) : https://www.facebook.com/SkyCube3D

But, I never offered this app (or any other) to the public, because I didn't want to have to do continuous updates (caught in the turmoil), and I had just been a dad of two wonderful children.

I've been here since FPS Creator. And I have the almost complete collection of TGC's 3D Model Packs (support).
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 17:58
Quote: "How do you become an internal tester ?"

Well, usually by working for the company.

But to be honest, this really isn't a forum topic, if you really want to know send a message to Lee or Rick and ask.
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

UltraVox
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2022 18:13
No, I'm not going to ask TGC for anything. It was a simple question.
Sorry to have bothered (you are right).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 03:07:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 03:07:35