Product Chat (Early Access) / [SOLVED] Max assets in Classic?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 07:59 Edited at: 24th Nov 2021 08:00
I noticed that the desert assets in Max are from this Unity pack - https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/red-desert-pack-60851

If that's the case, can I use these desert assets in GameGuru classic?

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 08:47
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
I am afraid the answer is a definite no !

Licence Terms for Entity: Cliff - Edge A. This asset is part of the Red Desert collection by Silvertm.

You have the rights to use this dbo file and its related dds texture files in any GameGuru MAX game you create and are free to distribute your games for free or commercially.
You may not distribute this file on it's own or part of an asset model pack.
You may not use this file with any other game creation tool (eg Unity, Unreal, etc)
You can contact the author of this asset if you wish to license the model in other formats or for other means.

To enquire about distribution rights, please contact the original author using the information provided below:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/plant/other/red-desert-pack
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-9700K @4.2GHz - 64GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB - 2TB NVe, 1TB NVe, 2TB Hybrid Data Drive
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Asset Manager
xRange No Nonsense Tools
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 09:26
Additionally the max DBO files won't work in classic try as you may.While you can convert assets from classic, you can't convert max to classic.As an example all of the assets for the industrial sewer pack on the TGC store, has updated DBO files which won't work in classic.
Max has a new updated closed format, rendering it useless to older software that still supported the DBO format.
So try as you may you won't be able to convert it either.

Win10 Pro 64bit----iCore7 4770k @ 3.5GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
PixelF
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2021 18:32
Thanks guys!
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2021 20:45 Edited at: 30th Nov 2021 06:28
@PixelF: yes Max DBOs work in CLassic, but as far as I know only my program can do it. if you really want to get max stuff into classic, PM me for a link, program version now at 0.48. There are a lot of internal variables you can't get at until I make them available externally which provides more control/flexibility, but it exports a directx file (OBJ is also possible , but classic doesn't support OBJ).

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2021 01:38 Edited at: 30th Nov 2021 02:03
Quote: " yes Max DBOs work in CLassic, but as far as I know only my program can do it. if you really want to get max stuff into classic, PM me for a link, program version now at 0.49. There are a lot of internal variables you can't get at until I make them available externally which probides more control/flexibility, but it exports a directx file (OBJ is also possible , but classic doesn't support OBJ)."

Just keep in mind if your allowing others to use your converter TGC do not allow Max assets to be freely used in other engines due to the licencing of them so for your own personal use in Classic that's probably ok im guessing being another TGC product and you should confirm that with Lee or Rick. But if it converts to a format that can be imported into any other engine there could be problems and i assume you mean any Max DBO can be converted to .x or OBJ with your tool and not just the CC assets. Unless im reading it incorrectly of course.

You have the rights to use this dbo file and its related dds texture files in any GameGuru MAX game you create and are free to distribute your games for free or commercially.
You may not use this file with any other game creation tool (eg Unity, Unreal, etc)
You can contact the author of this asset if you wish to license the model in other formats or for other means.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2021 06:38
I guess I will have to keep this tool to myself for now d/t TGC/GGMax copyrights. To clarify, I do not use any of these models in any other game engines other than TGC related products i.e. GG Classic/Max and AGK. I do not use them for games to sell or distribute them to 3rd parties in any shape or form. I will contact TGC to get more clarity on what I can/can't do.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 30th Nov 2021 11:55
Quote: "Just keep in mind if your allowing others to use your converter TGC do not allow Max assets to be freely used in other engines due to the licencing of them so for your own personal use in Classic that's probably ok im guessing being another TGC product and you should confirm that with Lee or Rick. But if it converts to a format that can be imported into any other engine there could be problems and i assume you mean any Max DBO can be converted to .x or OBJ with your tool and not just the CC assets. Unless im reading it incorrectly of course.

You can contact the author of this asset if you wish to license the model in other formats or for other means."

While (as ive stated before) i'm personally happy that TGC have started doing this with the DBO format, i do hope it's only with Max and not retroactive with Classic because there is going to be a huge slew of issues if it is.

I don't know if you remember but a while back there were a lot of complaints about how bad GameGuru classic was, and one of Lee's sole comebacks to that in multiple videos, steam posts, and forum posts was the statement that you can use all of the gameguru assets including the dlc's in what ever engine you like so it was worth the price because of the sheer amount of "quality" assets available.

I know for sure that a lot of people bought gameguru classic and some dlc's just for the assets after that line was fed to them, i'm sure they won't be happy if it bleeds over to classic assets.
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 30th Nov 2021 13:45
Quote: "I know for sure that a lot of people bought gameguru classic and some dlc's just for the assets after that line was fed to them, i'm sure they won't be happy if it bleeds over to classic assets."

It already has to an extent? That's why I no longer buy GGC DLCs and also because I can't adjust/modify geometry of the DLC bought models (for my own game purposes only). As they come as DBO format only that isn't supported in any 3D editor. Or so I thought.

Cheers.
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER PassMark: 18125
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2021 14:04
DBO from GG is not the same as DBO from GGMax, so they both should have a different user license, IMHO.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2021 14:10
Quote: "DBO from GG is not the same as DBO from GGMax, so they both should have a different user license, IMHO"

correct. GGC DBO doesn't use all 8 uv coord sets, in fact GG Max DBO's use around 5 UV coord sets. The FVF (Flexible Vertex Format) value in classic is greater than 0 e.g. 274. GGMax DBOs , FVF is 0 with a size of 64 for example, 1 set of XYZ coords, 1 set of normal coords and up to 8 UV texture coords.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 09:24:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 09:24:14