Product Chat / [LOCKED] GameGuru MAX

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I believe that an inventory system should be integrated in the editor, with a window to configure your settings, maybe some sort of templates recreates in different themes / game style, and so on."

i think same
PC 2 Specs:
AMD RYZEN 2600 SIX CORE @3,70, 64GB RAM DDR4 2400, M/B GIGABYTE AX370
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA RADEON R9 380 4GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 15:12 Edited at: 7th Feb 2020 17:58
If we would get something same this (render quality)... I would be more than happy.
Yes, its from the AppKit Studio website.

ok... just bought it... if you achive a render quality like this with GG MAX, then you are selling your product too cheap.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 15:16 Edited at: 7th Feb 2020 15:16
@MooKai isnt that a real life photo?
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 16:05
hmm... no i dont think so...
its from the vulcan render for agk studio I guess
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 16:12
Real life crystals

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 16:43
Quote: "@MooKai isnt that a real life photo?"

No, that's a render from AppGameKit Studios vulcan renderer.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 17:40 Edited at: 7th Feb 2020 17:47
Hey yo sounds radical!
The list here that has been promoted as features to the new MAX is HUGE!
And if all kinks are worked out, the price even in September does not seem
like much to be concerned about, and certainly not greedy. Here's the GG
with the advanced features as well as higher price that basically everyone
has been telling Lee all along that TGC must do-- to keep viable and healthy
in the industry, and as well as we simply desired to see!

64 Bit! At last
VR!
Independent Multiplayer
Dynamic Shadows
Upgraded Character Creator
Updated UI
New texture /
Better terrain
Advanced properties menu /
Some Lua by menu... ?
aha- Just remembered -- very important
Copy and Paste!
(I believe has been mentioned... please clarify!)
Spawn Entities by Script!!! -- Amazing! I will certainly be working with
this one, and GG would be in the ranks of Unity and the other big kahunas for
this list of features.

What we still could use is some kind of Asset Manager to keep track of those
hundred of items in the 64 bit map! And it would be nice to have a menu helper
that I think Lee hinted at might be supplied...?

Regardless, isn't LeadWerks usually around $100? And GG MAX would certainly
rival it at half that price. So sounding good.
What have I missed, or what have I got wrong? There's a lot to read up there.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 18:57 Edited at: 7th Feb 2020 19:04
Quote: "Regardless, isn't LeadWerks usually around $100? "

Yep and its the same thing there .. Leadwerks Turbo due out soon ( Which you have to buy again at around 100 bucks )
And then Coppercube 6 studio edition at a mind blowing £154:99 … And we get complaints
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 19:08 Edited at: 7th Feb 2020 19:08
U cant compare LeadWerks witch is a game engine with GG witch is a (very limited at this point)game creation software.
The price difference seems very fair.
PM
JohnS_CZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 19:10 Edited at: 7th Feb 2020 19:15
So...this might be considered a stupid idea. Not sure if it was ever posted already, as I'm not much of a frequent visitor.
Game Guru has potential. If anything, it's a great tool to try and test game ideas, make little projects, etc.
But currently, while some things are super easy to do, many features are either missing or hard to implement.
In the end, it's very, very hard to create a finished project that doesn't have engine-related issues.
And from reading all this, it seems the budget is the biggest problem here. And while MAX looks like a great upgrade (in terms of performance and features), it will most likely still not be enough. And this cycle seems to be repeating itself for years now.

I'm not a game developer, I just used GG in the past as an interesting tool for small projects, basically to kill time and maybe learn a thing or two. I was also among those disappointed after the original release, writing (a pretty harsh) review on Steam.

But still, I visit these forums occasionally. And all I can see are passionate people, that love the software despite its many issues. Developers, that manage to finish their projects. And despite all the frustrations, they stay here, offer great feedback and suggestions.

So, to my (maybe stupid) idea - have Patreon or some kind of donation system been considered at some point?I don't know if any legal things are preventing it from happening, but I bet some people would gladly spend some money to speed up (or make possible) the development of certain features. Hell, I'd throw in few bucks once in a while, to get something truly requested implemented.

All those DLCs are great and all, but people that seriously want to use Game Guru will make or buy their own assets, maybe use a few here and there. And people that just want to play around and have fun with the software probably don't even consider spending their money on a few assets if some important features are missing.

But that's just how I see it. If I had a choice between buying a DLC with some assets or donating some money towards (for example) cutscene editor, you bet I would rather donate.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 19:17 Edited at: 7th Feb 2020 19:21
Well its a hobby for me so i will buy when i know all the promised stuff is complete and running. Im not going to wait 20 years for things promised and never came to fruition only to be dangled world system again so i am happy to pay for it when i see it is complete with the things i was promised as a gold pledger. I dont mind buying at all but i have waited 8 years for weather and day and night which never got a tgc release but a make shift version. So as i say i will wait and when i see a really good cc and making a world
System day and night. Im there. You become frustrated waiting
Sb
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 19:22
Quote: " have Patreon or some kind of donation system been considered at some point?I "

We had a donations pot for a long time but basically there were disagreements over who should get paid for what and why the community members were being paid to develop and/or fix a product published by a limited company. Some saw it as a way to reward the hard-working volunteers who were fixing stuff, others saw it as TGC's responsibility to fix their product and media. Ultimately it was decided to remove the option to donate all together to keep things fairer.

AE
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Basically its all funded in house now ..
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 20:18
As far as S2, I bought the engine pre-STEAM years before and it was ... ready for this ... $2,500 USD. Then a few years later, he offers it on STEAM for almost free.

It's buggy as hell and all that eye-candy bogs down even the best video cards.

I have the STEAM version as well (I think it was like, $10) and there are some glaring errors. In TPP mode space bar freezes the entire game to a crash every single time. I have a 1080 GTi card with 16GB of vram and I don't get better that 20FPS with a loaded scene, so, S2 is pretty, but impossible to use to make a full game.

I will put my requests on github when I can.

Lee: I am a accomplished database programmer (over 25 years). A inventory system as well as any general game requires a robust database for all kinds of data. If you need me, I can program in a wide variety of languages EXCEPT C++ (but I can program in 'C'). Just letting you know.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.atomiccatinteractive.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yep and its the same thing there .. Leadwerks Turbo due out soon ( Which you have to buy again at around 100 bucks )
And then Coppercube 6 studio edition at a mind blowing £154:99 … And we get complaints"

Turbo is a complete rewrite (i.e. a completely new engine from start to finish) using Vulkan. At this point, there is no real similarity between Leadwerks and Turbo other than they are both 3D game engines.

Coppercube 6 has a completely free version, too. So, you don't have to purchase the Studio version. The Studio version provides you with the complete source code for the engine. But if you want to program, instead of using Coppercube's method of non-programming events, you don't have to pay for the Studio version. There is a Professional version that's about half the price. Coppercube's tech seems quite "ancient" by modern standards, so I would never use the engine. Even so, I don't think it compares to GameGuru per se. I know this, using the free version, it's pretty simple to set up interesting interactions via it's non-programming method of doing so. It would be interesting to see something like it in GameGuru (though cleaner and clearer to use than what's in Coppercube).
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 20:31
''All those DLCs are great and all, but people that seriously want to use Game Guru will make or buy their own assets, maybe use a few here and there. And people that just want to play around and have fun with the software probably don't even consider spending their money on a few assets if some important features are missing.

But that's just how I see it. If I had a choice between buying a DLC with some assets or donating some money towards (for example) cutscene editor, you bet I would rather donate.''

I dont know how many times this has been mentioned and how many more more times!it will have to mentioned.
3rd party artists have created the dlcs, you find on steam, it has been at least 4 -5 years since the last time TGC directly commisioned A DLC directly, dlcs are even being funded by the artists them self.

DLCs litterally have NO impact on the development of any TGC projects, nor are they funded by TGC.

Second issue is previous dlcs were all limited to the old DX graphics, and we required new content to take advantage of the DX11 and PBR shader.

3rd issue is gameguru editor doesnt allow the creation of primitives, not every user is able to create their own content so it is essential to add new content and themes from time to time.

4th issue is gameguru sales slowed down as much as 5 years ago as sales matured, just the natural order of things, this has nothing to do with the engine, updates and lack of features.

I have read some on the steam comments and honestly, people have zero business sense, and honestly feel like dishing out some virtual violence, there is honestly just some people that would like to see the world burn.I have most TGC products in my library whether I use it or not , and will continue to support them.

onto gameguru max, only need one feature, composite entities, a featured mentioned for gameguru classic but never got added
Win7 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 20:48
Quote: "As far as S2, I bought the engine pre-STEAM years before and it was ... ready for this ... $2,500 USD. Then a few years later, he offers it on STEAM for almost free."

I got S2 long before the steam release and never paid anywhere near that price , are you sure your talking about S2

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 21:01
Yes. I remember it well. It was many years ago - back when there were all kinds of experimental engines.

I definitely remember the hit my pocket took.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.atomiccatinteractive.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
JohnS_CZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 21:09
Quote: "I dont know how many times this has been mentioned and how many more more times!it will have to mentioned.
3rd party artists have created the dlcs, you find on steam, it has been at least 4 -5 years since the last time TGC directly commisioned A DLC directly, dlcs are even being funded by the artists them self."

Oh I know that - I know those DLCs don't impact the actual development. And I'm not saying they should be discontinued - I think they're great actually.

I meant it from the funding perspective - that I'd rather pay for the development of missing features compared to an asset pack.

Quote: " We had a donations pot for a long time but basically there were disagreements over who should get paid for what and why the community members were being paid to develop and/or fix a product published by a limited company. Some saw it as a way to reward the hard-working volunteers who were fixing stuff, others saw it as TGC's responsibility to fix their product and media. Ultimately it was decided to remove the option to donate all together to keep things fairer."

Oh :/
Well in my opinion, allowing donations would actually be one of the better (and more honest) practices compared to all the stuff some companies (and game publishers especially) do to be honest. But I get why the disagreements happened.
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 21:13
I remember the time, when 3D engines were expensive like hell... and now the people complain about 25 bucks ... lol
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 21:16 Edited at: 7th Feb 2020 21:56
Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and post my list of ideal features for Game Guru. In no way do I expect any of this to be implemented by September beyond what has already been announced, but maybe it could help inform some future roadmap? I have prioritised things as urgent (), important (), and nice-to-have ().

Projects
- Create new project . All maps, scripts and media used are saved to the project folder rather than staying in the master Files folders. This means if I edit, for example, the texture of an entity for one project, in won't mess up the original in my entitybank. Yes you'll end up with multiple copies of entities, but hard drive space is cheap, time is not.

Editor
- Fix the position and scale widget so it works consistently from all angles/orientations.
- Allow user to enter numerical position and angle values for precise positioning.
- Copy & paste. Both individual entities and groups of them.
- Prefabs. The ability to save a selection of entities and their associated scripts and settings as a prefab for use elsewhere.
- Voxel terrains (sounds like this is on the cards already).
- Road/pathway tool
- Define terrain size, (or no terrain at all) in the editor.
- Entity search (on its way already apparently).
- WYSIWYG particle editor

World
- Procedural skybox generation. Let the user define the sky colours on a 24hr basis, so we can have blue sunrises, green at midday, and red sunsets.
- Weather system, controllable control in test game and via LUA. This would include sliders/values for cloud cover, rain, snow, dust, lightning frequency & intensity.
- Multiple cameras in addition to the player camera, all with unique properties, and the ability to switch to another camera in LUA. Bonus points for giving us the ability to parent these cameras to moving entities like vehicles or characters.
- Better water shader.
- Swimming and underwater physics.
- Player lean.

Entities & media
- Alt Textures. Multiple alt textures that can be switched on the fly using LUA.
- Video textures.
- Assuming multiple cameras gets implemented, stream the views of these cameras in real-time (at a low resolution) to other entities. So we can have TV screens that show live feeds of other parts of the level.
- Let dynamic objects have polygonal and convex hull reduction shapes too, not just box collision!
- Import custom collision meshes (similar to how we do LOD now, but with the addition of _COL. These would be low-poly polygonal collision objects)
- Real 3D positional audio, which can be moved with entities, or attached to invisible (but moveable) 'emitters'.
- 'Audio effect zones' that can apply post effects like reverb, EQs, high pass filter etc. in real time. This would allow us to do echoing tunnels, or shellshock effects.
- Better sub-pixel sprite sampling. Thread discussing this.
- A font system that scales with resolution. Amen's sprite-based font library is great because characters are always occupy the same percentage of the screen at any resolution, but the glyphs are tedious to make. Surely there must be a better way...

LUA & Coding
- Persistent LUA environment. Currently each 'level' in a GG game is basically it's own standalone save from a few hardcoded globals like player health and weapon loadout carried over from previous levels. This makes creating an inventory system really hard unless you're prepared to write LUA scripts that write their own .txt files. There should be a way to store globals for level to level. Here's a thread discussing it
- Node-based event editor to quickly build basic sequences and behaviours without having to touch a line of code.
- The node-based approach would work wonder for AI too. You've already sort of attempted to build modular AI in the correct LUA scripts but it's inaccessible for most users who don't understand that complexity of LUA.
- Spawn and despawn entities on the fly in LUA.
- Access to LUA variables in editor.
- Access to all .fpe parameters in the editor.

Lighting, Rendering & Visuals
- Full dynamic sun controls (position in sky, colour, intensity, size, scattering etc.)
- Give all lights the ability to cast shadows...or not.
- Area & strip lights (in addition to the point and spotlight sources we currently have).
- Global illumination (sounds like this is in the pipeline already).
- Texture packing. Give Game Game the ability to take _metalness, _Ao, _gloss, and _displacement maps and compress them into a single 4-channel (RGBA) texture, we could call it _MAGD.
- Displacement maps. I wanna see windows have distortion effects on them like FPSCX10.
- A Saturation slider in the TAB TAB menu (and the ability to adjust this on the fly in LUA)
- Support for LUTs. (2018 discussion.
- Full screen shader for rain drops with displacement mapping.

Standalone & Menus
- GUI menu editor. Bonus points for adding the ability to preview at different aspect ratios.
- Expanded graphical options for end user.
- Video backgrounds for menus.
- Per-level loading screens and music.
- Singleplayer and multiplayer levels launchable from the one .exe
- Difficulty settings! These could be tied to multipliers set in the AI scripts so 'Easy' multiplies enemy health and attack by 0.5, 'Normal' by 1.0, and 'Hard' by 1.5 (and hey, nightmare by 3.0!)

Misc
- Videos should play with their sound as standard. I know there's a Windows reason why this doesn't happen currently, but Game Guru should be smart enough to do this under the hood unless we specify we want different audio tracks to play instead of the one already embedded in the video file.
- Multiplayer LAN support.
- Driveable vehicles. Taking the best of Amen's work and expanding upon it.

Wishful thinking, I know...

AE
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I remember the time, when 3D engines were expensive like hell... and now the people complain about 25 bucks ... lol"

I think most in this thread were stating that the asking price for GG MAX was too low ...
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Projects
- Create new project . All maps, scripts and media used are saved to the project folder rather than staying in the master Files folders. This means if I edit, for example, the texture of an entity for one project, in won't mess up the original in my entitybank. Yes you'll end up with multiple copies of entities, but hard drive space is cheap, time is not."

+10000000 .....

Definitely agree with this and was going to post the same.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 21:32
Quote: "Projects
- Create new project . All maps, scripts and media used are saved to the project folder rather than staying in the master Files folders. This means if I edit, for example, the texture of an entity for one project, in won't mess up the original in my entitybank. Yes you'll end up with multiple copies of entities, but hard drive space is cheap, time is not."

You should send that one to Lee

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 21:35
Quote: "A inventory system as well as any general game requires a robust database for all kinds of data"

I agree.
Although I ignore the cost of managing databases, in terms of performance.
However, GGM would be fine by filling in the rows with the relevant data of the entities included in the map when the user saves the map, and accessing said data when necessary.
The database could even store entities thunbnails to display to the player in the inventory when collecting an object.
Lee might link db to GGM.
I remember that some time ago I programmed a macro that generated an excel sheet with this data.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
For the September release, and since GG MAX has its roots in FPS Creator, etc., I think that GG MAX should come, out of the box, with everything the end-user would need to create a DOOM-styled game. Everything from the mechanics (triggers for doors, keys to unlock locked doors, enemy AI, weapons and item pick-up and use, etc.) to a basic menu system that can be customized (save/load game, pick easy or hard for play, options for sound volume, fx volume, screen resolution, etc.) to a customizable GUI (ammo amount, health, etc.), etc. If a basic FPS game can be created that meets or exceeds this, then we are at least on the right track. From there, more could be implemented.
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As far as S2, I bought the engine pre-STEAM years before and it was ... ready for this ... $2,500 USD. Then a few years later, he offers it on STEAM for almost free.

It's buggy as hell and all that eye-candy bogs down even the best video cards.

I have the STEAM version as well (I think it was like, $10) and there are some glaring errors. In TPP mode space bar freezes the entire game to a crash every single time. I have a 1080 GTi card with 16GB of vram and I don't get better that 20FPS with a loaded scene, so, S2 is pretty, but impossible to use to make a full game."

When I first purchase a license of S2, I requested a refund from Steam and posted a negative review. The developer got back to me, asked for specifics, and soon released a patch addressing my issues. As a result, I re-purchased S2. Since that time, the developer has issued a few updates, one of which increased speed quite a bit. Any of the demos that come with the engine (the beach scene and the zombie town demo) all run at well over 30-50 FPS at the equivalent of "ultra" settings on my PC (and I am running it on a 4K monitor). I still think the engine has a way to go, but with the developer creating his own full game, I think that we will see some significant updates over the course of this year (his game set for release in October, I believe).
68chase
Years of Service
User Offline
@LeeBamber Thanks for adding the VR support. Cant wait to try out the alpha. I have a question about the player. In an earlier post u said that the quest player would be available if Facebook approves the app. If they dont will u consider making it available to sideload. Also, will we have the ability to publish native .apk files or is running projects through the quest player the only option. I appreciate you taking the time to answer all the questions.
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 22:10
@Argent_Arts at steam... they complain... but steam is a toxic place
agree, it should be possible to create a shooter like doom from the first release day on.

@Avenging Eagle
I always copy the complete GG folder to a different drive, if I start a new project.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 22:21
@Avenging Eagle : You make some very good points about timing, but there is only so long you can sell a product for $20 and then support it free gratis for five years (the DLC don't really generate income you could live on). It's a rod we created for our own backs, and perhaps the traditional annual upgrade would have been a better marketing strategy. Right now we are in a position of trying to deliver literally anything we might have mentioned in the last five years before we are allowed to do anything else. Under normal circumstances, that only ends one way, bankrupty. Fortunately, we also develop the Number #1 app for driving tests in the UK and that helps us continue developing our game making products. You have to get very creative these days to survive in the game making space when Unity and Unreal basically give their technology away for free Still, even the most livid users stick around so there must be something compelling about what we are trying to do, and I will take that as a signal to carry on!

@Earthling45 : Amenmoses is a professional coder and a very busy guy at the top of his profession. I basically cannot afford him officially. Everything he does, he does to help out, and because (I suspect) he enjoys it. I have tried finding coders through the forums, through agencies and suchlike, but I've not had much luck there as you may have seen with the Donations System idea. Looks like we're on our own

@Belidos : Can you post a GitHub issue with a sample level showing the transparency issue with stock media, and post the link here? If we can reproduce it in March, we will fix it for sure! The alpah brushes for painting geometry deformations is a good one. I was going to do displacement/parallax for the texture painting side but acting on the geometry is an interesting idea if we can get the tesselation density high enough after performance considerations. Feel free to send me some tech links to the technique as I am compiling the ultimate thought list right now before I pick a new terrain system approach for April. Why would you add a MODEL field to the entity properties, would that not change the actual visible object associated with the entity, making the entity you just chose obsolete? You may as well have just one entity, and then chose the model it points to, and beyond thar be dragons (well, Unity). As to the entity library system, I just make a Sneak Peek video which covers this a little so best watch that first as it may surprise you (a little)

@OldFlak : Perhaps you can assemble some of your custom entities that have transparency, make a very small FPM and start marker and let me know what I am seeing, and why it is wrong. These are the best bug reports as I can see it instantly, and the fix follows very soon afterwards.

@Tarkus1971 : No solid plans on the new terrain system but I know it needs high density detail in the geometry in areas you need it (and none when you don't), and also the ability to paint your textures to the terrain in any order you wish, and adopt modern game terrain techniques so you get something resembling a modern game (such as puddles, tire tracks, shorelines, scrub, etc) as might be designed by a level artist who knows what they want. No decision yet on height map importing, it all depends how we handle the terrain foundation stuff (i.e. go for streamed terrain or just offer terrain 'islands' that can be stitched together for larger worlds. No inventory system planned

@PCS : There will be no support for open worlds for the September release. There is a possibility of bigger maps however as the standard 40x40x20 has received some flak over the years and a new terrain system provides an opportunity to do it better this time around, or remove the terrain completely.

@Ertlov : Yikes, I must apologise for the performance I gave you back then. Thankfully we've improved on that since (thanks to Preben)!

@Mrs Baird : The real trick I have learned is to create a game maker with just enough hard coding to make things easy, but leave plenty that can be customized for those who want to go further. You can already create your own skies with 10 moons in the sky (the sky is really just a large cube model). The trick I think is to associate lights for those plantary bodies, so might require some kind of 'GetObjectLimbPositionXYZ' command in LUA so you can take control of a few directional lights to see the ideal result?

@Medmatheus : Yes, GameGuru MAX will be backwards compatible with your levels, assets, scripts and other resources.

@OldFlak : I considered the idea of bringing this new product back to the original $99 pledge price, but the general feeling was that we need to prove ourselves first at delivering a product at that price. If GameGuru Classic rounds off, and MAX is a solid success, it might open the door to a new upgrade product in 2-3 years time with a price tag of $100.

@MadLad Designs : For MAX, we have a built-in interactive tutorial system. No matter where you are, you can click a context help button and you will get a silent video showing how the feature is used, and a step by step you can follow live inside the software to learn how it is used. That said, do you mean something more akin to a 'technical manual' which reveals the nuts and bolts (think user manual vs service manual)?

@Unknown Nomad Studio : I am pretty sure I retired FPS Creator, so not much chance of seeing dynamic shadows there for the time being I have asked Syncromesh to go through the whole GitHub board and try to make a determination between what is a bug and what is a feature. We have tags right now, but the qualifier that will always work is a link to an official announcement from me that I would do a thing in exchange for your money, that would seal it for me and those features would go into Classic as a matter of honour. The shots you see now are from Feb 2020, the shots you will get with MAX can only be shown in August 2020. The Launcher preceeds the launching of the software, so the changes will be applied when you launch. You are right, you cannot change the SETUP settings without relaunching the Launcher. many of the SETUP settings are used during software initialisation, so needs a restart. If the standalone settings improvements mentioned are a deal-breaker, I urge you NOT to preorder as there are no plans to expand on this area before September. I had planned the GTX 960 4GB model, good point, I will pass it on! No plans to add TAB TAB to the standalone game you export. To price our software at western prices, no Russian would be able to afford it, such is the exchange rate! Happy to hear views on this one as if it only means Russians pay double, it might be 'doable' if a little cruel. Now your remaining questions:
1. No plans to merge third person characters into first person
2. No plans to have separate/separateable guns from hands
3. Until we select a rendering system method, not sure how we are going to handle performance scaling, but we do have the shader settings (Lowest to Highest) but that is a manual setting and I have not found an elegant way to 'auto select' this mode by reading the users system.
4. No plans right now to control the LOD draw distances from the editor, but its a good idea. Perhaps add it as a GitHub feature request!
5. Not sure about procedural sky right now. I am making contact with someone who does very cool procedural skies, but the license may be too much. Watch this space!
6. We are throwing away the old grass, and looking for a new grass technique that looks like 2019 game grass, so scaling it back at distance would be prudent, depends what technique we settle on.
7. No plans to add Gravity Scripting or for Terrains to cast shadows, but we are researching a new terrain system so if it comes with a cool shadow casting benefit, then yes that will go in.

@MadLad Designs : In my experience, no one reads the FAQ either Best to let people ask the same questions over and over again, story of my life! But it's all cool!

@UNIRD12B : Do you mean "we are looking at VR hardware at the moment and support could come in the future" is an official promises of a feature? Do you think users made a purchase decision (or yourself) based on this statement? I am trying to find links and quotes where I definately promised a thing in exchange for hard earned cash. Thanks for digging out the quotes though, perhaps these are the kinds of things users remember, and later recall them as stone cold promises?

@GubbyBlips : I did NOT promise "Copy and Paste". But you are right, it's so needed, I promise it now No plans for an asset manager of entities already in your local library of the map, it's a tricky one without just stealing ideas from other tools. I can see the need, but hierarchy graphs feel so prosumer, there must be a cooler quicker friendlier way to do it.

@JohnS_CZ ; Thanks for chipping in. We did look at Patreon and similar, but you can't really do that AND sell the product at the same time. We'd have to basically give away the product, and hope we get subscribers. TGC have not had much success with the subscription model, you need LOTS of users.

@science boy : Well said! Happy to impress you when I have something to show later in the year!

@World Class Multimedia : Thanks for the offer, feel free to email me with any game tech stuff you have done. 'C' is fine, it's also my fall back language. C++ is so clever now, it runs rings around me

@68chase : If Facebook do not approve the Quest app, we may well offer the APK for sideloading, depends if it negatively affects our resubmission. Getting GameGuru MAX Player on the Quest would be a great marketing move. Think about it, "no more VR games to play...well make your own right now.."

NOTE: Just for fun, nothing Lee said in his replies constitutes promises by TGC, only ideas and hopes for the development ahead!
PC SPECS: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 GPU, 16GB SYSTEM RAM

=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 22:39
I'm excited . Thanks Lee. I've been patiently waiting for multiplayer support . As far as cost for upgrading , I have no problem paying a man for his work !
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 22:44
Actually I'm not really that busy at the moment.

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 22:51
One more question, my Son wants to know when will Max be on steam, he wants to pre-order max, but only wants to do it on steam.?
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Svartvatten
Years of Service
User Offline
I've read most of this thread, and have been following GG last couple of years to see how it develops. As an experimental artist-non coder, wanna make 3D games and more artsy stuff, without a stupid subscription model, i've had the choice of GG, Coppercube, S2 and the plugin Adventure Creator for Unity. All good but none is perfect. I would like to finally settle for one of these and hopefully GG Max could deliver in a year or so, at least on what I value the most, we'll see!

Some of my questions have already been asked, one question remains unanswered i think:

- Customization is an important part for me in order to make stuff in my own style. That goes for HUDs or splash screens, inventories (i know - no inventory for MAX), etc, including TEXT:
I'd need the possibility to have the player interact with characters by speech/text-talk. Doesn't have to be super advanced, but simple conversations - a couple of sentences which can have an implication for the game, as in a classic adventure game. You know: You are asked a question and can answer "right" or "wrong" and implications follow.
I saw text-to-speech/own audio-files mentioned, but nothing about pure text. Important to me is the possibility to use what ever fonts, to choose background colour, font-colour, placement of text, etc. Could that be implemented?

PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "One more question, my Son wants to know when will Max be on steam, he wants to pre-order max, but only wants to do it on steam.?"

I'm not Lee, but he's stated the release date is in September. So, I would expect MAX to be available on Steam then. Of course, he can purchase a Steam key now via the link Lee provided in the first post, if he wants to get MAX at 50% off the price.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 23:14 Edited at: 7th Feb 2020 23:39
Quote: "perhaps the traditional annual upgrade would have been a better marketing strategy. "

Why not .. I have to do that all the time with some of my Web Apps .. Even my Amiga Amikit
I don't really give it a second thought .. Get free updates for so long then you pay for the massive 12 monthly or more upgrade. Its so common for me I guess that's why I wonder what all the fuss is about
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 23:26
Quote: "Why not .. "

Indeed, have a version which is solid and work on the next version with new enchangements while updating the current version, albeit i think jearly is a bit to short, two years perhaps.
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep. I agree. Charge for major releases and give away the incremental updates. Have GameGuru MAX v1.0. Give away all point releases (MAX 1.1, 1.23, etc.) and when MAX 1.x is taken to where you want it to go, start on GameGuru MAX v2.0 and charge for that. New users pay the full price and currently licensed people can pay some kind of upgrade price.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 23:46
Max 2020
Max 2022
Max 2024
.... well go ahead... I've no problem to pay every 2 years for a new version... with updated gfx and addons
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 23:48 Edited at: 7th Feb 2020 23:51
Quote: "Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and post my list of ideal features for Game Guru. In no way do I expect any of this to be implemented by September beyond what has already been announced, but maybe it could help inform some future roadmap? I have prioritised things as urgent (), important (), and nice-to-have ().

Projects
- Create new project . All maps, scripts and media used are saved to the project folder rather than staying in the master Files folders. This means if I edit, for example, the texture of an entity for one project, in won't mess up the original in my entitybank. Yes you'll end up with multiple copies of entities, but hard drive space is cheap, time is not.

Editor
- Fix the position and scale widget so it works consistently from all angles/orientations.
- Allow user to enter numerical position and angle values for precise positioning.
- Copy & paste. Both individual entities and groups of them.
- Prefabs. The ability to save a selection of entities and their associated scripts and settings as a prefab for use elsewhere.
- Voxel terrains (sounds like this is on the cards already).
- Road/pathway tool
- Define terrain size, (or no terrain at all) in the editor.
- Entity search (on its way already apparently).
- WYSIWYG particle editor

World
- Procedural skybox generation. Let the user define the sky colours on a 24hr basis, so we can have blue sunrises, green at midday, and red sunsets.
- Weather system, controllable control in test game and via LUA. This would include sliders/values for cloud cover, rain, snow, dust, lightning frequency & intensity.
- Multiple cameras in addition to the player camera, all with unique properties, and the ability to switch to another camera in LUA. Bonus points for giving us the ability to parent these cameras to moving entities like vehicles or characters.
- Better water shader.
- Swimming and underwater physics.
- Player lean.

Entities & media
- Alt Textures. Multiple alt textures that can be switched on the fly using LUA.
- Video textures.
- Assuming multiple cameras gets implemented, stream the views of these cameras in real-time (at a low resolution) to other entities. So we can have TV screens that show live feeds of other parts of the level.
- Let dynamic objects have polygonal and convex hull reduction shapes too, not just box collision!
- Import custom collision meshes (similar to how we do LOD now, but with the addition of _COL. These would be low-poly polygonal collision objects)
- Real 3D positional audio, which can be moved with entities, or attached to invisible (but moveable) 'emitters'.
- 'Audio effect zones' that can apply post effects like reverb, EQs, high pass filter etc. in real time. This would allow us to do echoing tunnels, or shellshock effects.
- Better sub-pixel sprite sampling. Thread discussing this.
- A font system that scales with resolution. Amen's sprite-based font library is great because characters are always occupy the same percentage of the screen at any resolution, but the glyphs are tedious to make. Surely there must be a better way...

LUA & Coding
- Persistent LUA environment. Currently each 'level' in a GG game is basically it's own standalone save from a few hardcoded globals like player health and weapon loadout carried over from previous levels. This makes creating an inventory system really hard unless you're prepared to write LUA scripts that write their own .txt files. There should be a way to store globals for level to level. Here's a thread discussing it
- Node-based event editor to quickly build basic sequences and behaviours without having to touch a line of code.
- The node-based approach would work wonder for AI too. You've already sort of attempted to build modular AI in the correct LUA scripts but it's inaccessible for most users who don't understand that complexity of LUA.
- Spawn and despawn entities on the fly in LUA.
- Access to LUA variables in editor.
- Access to all .fpe parameters in the editor.

Lighting, Rendering & Visuals
- Full dynamic sun controls (position in sky, colour, intensity, size, scattering etc.)
- Give all lights the ability to cast shadows...or not.
- Area & strip lights (in addition to the point and spotlight sources we currently have).
- Global illumination (sounds like this is in the pipeline already).
- Texture packing. Give Game Game the ability to take _metalness, _Ao, _gloss, and _displacement maps and compress them into a single 4-channel (RGBA) texture, we could call it _MAGD.
- Displacement maps. I wanna see windows have distortion effects on them like FPSCX10.
- A Saturation slider in the TAB TAB menu (and the ability to adjust this on the fly in LUA)
- Support for LUTs. (2018 discussion.
- Full screen shader for rain drops with displacement mapping.

Standalone & Menus
- GUI menu editor. Bonus points for adding the ability to preview at different aspect ratios.
- Expanded graphical options for end user.
- Video backgrounds for menus.
- Per-level loading screens and music.
- Singleplayer and multiplayer levels launchable from the one .exe
- Difficulty settings! These could be tied to multipliers set in the AI scripts so 'Easy' multiplies enemy health and attack by 0.5, 'Normal' by 1.0, and 'Hard' by 1.5 (and hey, nightmare by 3.0!)

Misc
- Videos should play with their sound as standard. I know there's a Windows reason why this doesn't happen currently, but Game Guru should be smart enough to do this under the hood unless we specify we want different audio tracks to play instead of the one already embedded in the video file.
- Multiplayer LAN support.
- Driveable vehicles. Taking the best of Amen's work and expanding upon it.

Wishful thinking, I know...

AE"

all good points my friend .. i second all of them.. and with the mi think GGMax could be the real Dev engine i target to be but i'm afraid we cant see any of them...and it's a shame since all of these could be possible from TGC.. but ii think Lee direction is not is this way.. and i repeat myself... it'sa shame..since with all these addons GG could really bright even compared to unity and unreal

Quote: "Max 2020
Max 2022
Max 2024
.... well go ahead... I've no problem to pay every 2 years for a new version... with updated gfx and addons
"

quote all ... it's not a problem to me and i think to many of us pay every 2 or even 1 year 25 bucks ofr a new REALLY update version..
PC 2 Specs:
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "2. No plans to have separate/separateable guns from hands"

So, does this mean that you have to have a duplicate set of arms/hands very every weapon you want in your game? Does this mean that you have to have the arm/hand/weapon model as one animated model for each weapon type you have in your game? If so, I really think you should rethink this. Most game engines these days allow you to use one set of hand/arm models for the player and then import the model and set it up to connect to a point on the hand. The end-user only needs to adjust the model to fit properly and be oriented correctly and because the model is "attached" at that point, it animates properly with the arms. This is desirable, especially from an indie developer standpoint (let alone dealing with memory and all that) because it means the developer can create their own weapon models (or purchase them from somewhere else) and simply "attach" them to a set of arms/hands they are already using in-game.
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Max 2020
Max 2022
Max 2024
.... well go ahead... I've no problem to pay every 2 years for a new version... with updated gfx and addons "

I'm thinking it could be something like GameGuru MAX 2020 is the FPS shooter version, featuring all the stuff needed to create an FPS shooter game. The next MAX version, whenever it is released, could then feature a new game types, introducing all the additional elements needed for that game type. For example, horror, which requires a complex inventory system, the ability to inspect items, etc. The next version to be charged for could add on RPG elements, such as quests and the like. Just an idea ...
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 23:55 Edited at: 7th Feb 2020 23:57
Quote: "So, does this mean that you have to have a duplicate set of arms/hands very every weapon you want in your game? Does this mean that you have to have the arm/hand/weapon model as one animated model for each weapon type you have in your game? If so, I really think you should rethink this. Most game engines these days allow you to use one set of hand/arm models for the player and then import the model and set it up to connect to a point on the hand. The end-user only needs to adjust the model to fit properly and be oriented correctly and because the model is "attached" at that point, it animates properly with the arms. This is desirable, especially from an indie developer standpoint (let alone dealing with memory and all that) because it means the developer can create their own weapon models (or purchase them from somewhere else) and simply "attach" them to a set of arms/hands they are already using in-game.
PM Email Website Report Post
"

this is how unity and unreal ( both used by me ) works and it's the best system since it it give player all the possiblities you listed.. but it isnt the TGC direction sadly .. i thik the wepaon system will be the same we have now..

Quote: "
I'm thinking it could be something like GameGuru MAX 2020 is the FPS shooter version, featuring all the stuff needed to create an FPS shooter game. The next MAX version, whenever it is released, could then feature a new game types, introducing all the additional elements needed for that game type. For example, horror, which requires a complex inventory system, the ability to inspect items, etc. The next version to be charged for could add on RPG elements, such as quests and the like. Just an idea ...
"

cool idead but rhis way we must wait for new annual releases only to have some custom and needed stuffs like inventory and object inspection...maybe this system could be great if used to create themed dlc taht come out with more frequency
PC 2 Specs:

PC 2 Specs:
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "cool idead but rhis way we must wait for new annual releases only to have some custom and needed stuffs like inventory and object inspection...maybe this system could be great if used to create themed dlc taht come out with more frequency"

The idea here is to keep it simple. Let Lee and his team (however small they are) to focus on ONE aspect of GameGuru MAX, such as an First Person Shooter. Then, when completed, they can move on to the next type of game. Yes, that would mean that if you wanted to create a certain type of game, you'd have to wait ... or! ... you could program it yourself using LUA, which is why its there. If the small team working on MAX tried to develop for several different game types, I would bet that we'd actually get NONE of them completely developed ... not properly.
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2020 00:07
Quote: "I'm thinking it could be something like GameGuru MAX 2020 is the FPS shooter version"

That would mean a limitation of possibilities for many users i think because that is already done and possible, it should really be anchangements like dynamic lights/shadows in 2022 for example, stuff that has to do with the engine itself.
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "That would mean a limitation of possibilities for many users i think because that is already done and possible, it should really be anchangements like dynamic lights/shadows in 2022 for example, stuff that has to do with the engine itself."

I agree. I certainly wasn't trying to exclude those things. However, Lee has already stated that proper real-time dynamic lighting will be in the September release. Making an FPS edition, for example, should just about complete the engine, per se - lighting, shadows, collision, AI, etc. should all be there. But, yes, each edition should feature improvements, if possible, and new features, if able.
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2020 00:21
DX11 and PBR were a good reason to release a new version of GG in 2018.
Have all the time to work at it and release when thoroughly tested, hence no worries about having to have two sorts of rendering possibilities with all its horrors that it brought.
fearlesswee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2020 04:31
Quote: "I'd need the possibility to have the player interact with characters by speech/text-talk. Doesn't have to be super advanced, but simple conversations - a couple of sentences which can have an implication for the game, as in a classic adventure game."

It would be super nice to have a basic dialog system, with a visual tree editor of some kind. Basically you can pick a greeting dialog, and then add dialog options, then add more options under that, etc. Then, for each dialog option, you can toggle "prerequisites", which basically lock you out of that option unless a condition is met, like having picked a specific dialog option earlier or even with another character, having a certain key/item, having health at a certain level, etc. I'm sure this is already possible with extensive Lua coding, but you'd have to make a new script for every NPC's dialog I'd imagine. Maybe a custom script + the dynamicLua system (or whatever it is called) can accomplish this? I guess we will wait and see
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2020 05:34 Edited at: 8th Feb 2020 05:38
This is do-able already via LUA. Though It be interesting to see how things are being handled now that we have lip-sync support in GG Max

old vid, but you get the idea

Quote: "I'm sure this is already possible with extensive Lua coding, but you'd have to make a new script for every NPC's dialog I'd imagine. "

The way I've seen this handled in AAA games (while looking under the hood), they keep all of their dialogue text and audio files referenced in 1 single script. You then use the various characters to have enabled dialogue options to access the various script links from the main dialogue data-base.

Better explained also here:

Would be great if GG Max supported entity property fields for variable 1, variable 2, etc or something where we can easily trigger something to be unique and LUA can reference that change and give different behaviors (or dialogue).
Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2020 08:39
I have looked a little Wwise, and it seems interesting.
Could this plugin be integrated into CC?

Quote: "Wwise features an open API and integrates easily into in-house game engines and the world's top commercial game engines."

Source
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 13:48:10