Product Chat / Tell me the issues which hold you off from doing your work

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2019 08:07 Edited at: 15th Jun 2019 08:08
Quote: "BOTR has HM2GG which is a treat to use. only need the height map of what you want.
I see his links are gone again."

HM2GG v4.0 (with basic map splitter-still WIP) can now be found here:
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219806?page=1#msg2602285

Other links to be added shortly.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2019 09:39
Oooh, I've thought of another one, this one is really annoying...

Enemies have a view distance capped at something like 1500 units (125 feet / 38 metres). I understand why by default this might work to increase performance, but the developer should have the option to raise this to any number so enemies to see the player and react from a long way away. Riflemen are basically impossible right now because the player pretty much has to be within sidearm range before they even realise the player is there.

Also, if there's two or three enemies next to each other and I shoot one of them, the others don't seem to notice at all.

AE
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Also, why is it that the DX9 AI Soldier seems to react and move quicker than the DXA11 AI?"

Probably because it was altered in the DX11 version as people thought it was too fast with the new AI scripts. When the new AI scripts were first coded, they got tested and everyone thought the soldiers reacted way too quickly, so, they were slowed down. Probably adjustable in the script if you want them back to death robot speed
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2019 11:08 Edited at: 16th Jun 2019 11:27
Swimming. Can't swim forward and stay afloat at same time.

Could you guys ninja from x10 the oxygen level when go under. And have the values in the start marker

I remember ages ago near the beginning in fact when gg was not functioning and being sorted there were some really good explosions being made and put on the blog had explosive bits as well they looked amazing. Somehow we have basic x9 explosions or did. I seen some work on actual objects being blasted away but just the ones I think bond was working on. It was a demo in a room with a looped explosion looked awesome jus wondered if that was forgotten or not accepted or if bond said no to it.

Also painting grass under water does not paint. If I want any river bed water plants I have to use models. surely a simple tweek to allow grass. Also read somewhere you are on with multiple random grass? Or someone is. If terrain is getting a bit of makeover maybe the grass painting could be expanded even jus 4 different grassed or 3. 1 is a bit limiting when doing an outdoor scene with forests, streams, gardens etc.
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 16th Jun 2019 12:47 Edited at: 16th Jun 2019 18:11
if ImGui is likely to be added to GG, it could be used to adjust all of the setup.ini flags within the editor (and store them in setup.ini when they changed).

That would be a pretty cool addition for (especially) new users who would be able to see all of the environment tweaks that can be made from within editor.

@science boy - I'm working on multiple grass types (3 max) - it does look much better when painting environments as you say. I have also added a 'grasspaintunderwateroffset' value to setup.ini - this however will impact performance if you paint a lot of grass underwater and set this value high. And there is no refraction code in the water shader (yet) for when looking at grass down through the water from above and some clipping issues to resolve. So still a little bit more to do, but main functionality working.

Cheers.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Also painting grass under water does not paint"

Lol, wonder if that is a feature (performance tweak) or a bug?
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2019 04:48
- Dynamic lights not casting shadows
- Sunlight affecting indoor scenes

I cannot proceed on Into the Ice because of that.
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2019 10:10 Edited at: 17th Jun 2019 10:12
@ertlov - yes im with you 100% on those lights and shadows, we need better dynamic lights, with a settable range for shadow drop off to keep the framerate up. Most of the daylight scene I see here, and they are great but.... seem flat without dynamic light shadows.

And on the subject of shadows, can we turn off shadowing on grass?????? I hardly use shadows because of the FPS hit at the moment.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2019 14:21
@ DVADER

well the question i believe was issues that stop you doing your work

so when i put entities ie plant life under the water it totally kills fps
if the paint vegetation worked under water i believe it would be better

so it does slow me down, not a bug but it is an idea to help things work if no one wants to do it i am ok with it.

Discalimer
i do not expect anyone to do anything i suggest, i do not in anyway want to put on anyone or put anyone's work or other suggestions down,
only thing i know is in 2012 i paid gold for a product that 7 years later is far from finished, but as i have waited this time i can still wait for the promised end result. i also fully appreciate everything this community brings to the table and i respect everyone on this site.

SB
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 18th Jun 2019 15:18 Edited at: 18th Jun 2019 15:19
Quote: "only thing i know is in 2012 i paid gold for a product that 7 years later is far from finished"

Technically you paid gold for a product that no longer exists and never got off the ground, as a consolation you were given a free copy of a different (albeit similar) product, that is still not finished :p

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2019 19:37 Edited at: 18th Jun 2019 19:41
@ Belidos

History
Fpsc reloaded
Kickstarter started and failed
Which I believe is what you mean?

That failed but.....
The Community all put in their support and so they started a backer campaign and there were 3 choices. Bronze silver gold. From this reloaded was born later a different name game guru but is the same product. We all got the game and some keys to give out to others
The product has been in action since 2012 with funding and started work 2013 jan but the product is what we all chipped into and have supported since then its come a long way but very slowly. And so I was explaining that I can wait and have done

Sb
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2019 20:08 Edited at: 18th Jun 2019 20:15
Quote: "Technically you paid gold for a product that no longer exists and never got off the ground, as a consolation you were given a free copy of a different (albeit similar) product, that is still not finished :p"
Technically someone could explain what is so different about the software other than a name change from FPSCReloaded to Gameguru looks a lot like the same product to me. The reason given at the time was that it was no longer going to be just FPS but would cover more game genres like Third person and isometric. Strange thing is in a recent question about Third Person TGC now claim that TPV was never considered a 'feature' so wouldn't be giving it any immediate attention.
If I only paid a buck or two for GG in one of their numerous deals offered then I too might be happy to point out to anyone stupid enough to have backed it early that their donations were much appreciated but it's off the table now, so tough. GameGuru was piggybacked on the funding raised for Reloaded and not privately funded or anything like that as suggested in the past.

To get on topic the issues which hold me back from ever creating a game using GameGuru are beyond fixing after all this time.
This is not a rant simply setting the facts straight
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, thanks for all this feedback. I think I see now a clearer.

The biggest problems GG have, are half implemented or not implemented features and not actual bugs, and that´s what people hold back.
I will think about it and then talk with Lee about my future plans.

Thanks a lot for your feedback
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 01:54 Edited at: 19th Jun 2019 01:56
The FPS Reloaded we got was a real cutdown version from the planned version when the kickstarter failed.
Pretty sure the £60,000 if successful would have given us a better product ...

Quote: "The biggest problems GG have, are half implemented or not implemented features and not actual bugs,"

Agreed the bugs are the unfinished features ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 05:47
Quote: "The biggest problems GG have, are half implemented or not implemented features and not actual bugs, and that´s what people hold back."

You can always talk about definitions, so I guess we could call it that, but a dynamic light placed by a user in the editor not casting shadows would have been a blocker bug in any game engine since Gamebryo in 2007.
It is such an essential and crucial element of any realtime 3D environments that even talking about that seems ridiculous. I reported that as bug several times in the earliest FPSC-R versions and got a vague "Oh, yes, that`s weird, we will look into that" response, if I remember right. And I was like "Na, no one would ship a product that has such a critical visual issue".
Fast forward a few years, still there.
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 06:12 Edited at: 19th Jun 2019 13:52
Quote: "- Dynamic lights not casting shadows
- Sunlight affecting indoor scenes

I cannot proceed on Into the Ice because of that.
"

Honestly this is something that I'm dealing with right now and its frustrating. I tried the lightmapper and it ruined my level. I have no way around getting shadows to work in my indoor scene that is on the same map as outdoor elements. But again this thread isn't about "features" right? ... hence why i deleted my entire post here. Based on the response I got.

GG's main issue is that absolutely and fundamentally every "feature" is an incomplete incorporated element of the engine. Or if the word "incomplete" is debatable, than lets just say almost every aspect of the engine has flaws. I'm hitting walls at every turn and its becoming more apparent the more i actually try to complete anything..
Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 07:42
Quote: "@ Belidos

History
Fpsc reloaded
Kickstarter started and failed
Which I believe is what you mean?

That failed but.....
The Community all put in their support and so they started a backer campaign and there were 3 choices. Bronze silver gold. From this reloaded was born later a different name game guru but is the same product. We all got the game and some keys to give out to others
The product has been in action since 2012 with funding and started work 2013 jan but the product is what we all chipped into and have supported since then its come a long way but very slowly. And so I was explaining that I can wait and have done "

Quote: "Technically someone could explain what is so different about the software other than a name change from FPSCReloaded to Gameguru looks a lot like the same product to me."

It was supposed to be ironic and tongue in cheek, because that's the excuse that has been used in the past, but i think that one went over your heads.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 08:43 Edited at: 19th Jun 2019 08:44
Quote: "Honestly this is something that I'm dealing with right now and its frustrating. I tried the lightmapper and it ruined my level. I have no way around getting shadows to work in my indoor scene that is on the same map as outdoor elements. But again this thread isn't about "features" right?"

That`s why I say it is a class A showstopper bug. Not a missing feature.
But what do I know? And who am I to judge?

Oh, wait, just a Senior Game Producer with 15+ years industry experience and 100+ Mio units sold.

If I sound bitter here, it`s just because I am.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 08:45
Quote: "Oh, wait, just a Senior Game Producer with 15+ years industry experience and 100+ Mio units sold."

Do you have trouble finding hats that fit?

Haha just kidding mate

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 08:55
Belidos

Yes that one went over my head. Its hard to be funny with messages

But fair game
Keep happy

SB
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 08:59
Quote: "Haha just kidding mate "

All good
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 10:14
Yes dynamic light casting shadows, essential to making a level not look flat!!!! I consider this not an ENHANCEMENT. Decent lighting will surely lead to increased sales if the products screenshots and demo videos show this in action. I hope Lee and co can implement this quite soon, I think Preben did some early work with the flashlight shadowing but then nothing, I guess AGK-Studio was starting up around that time.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 11:04 Edited at: 19th Jun 2019 11:27
@Belidos yep got what you meant straight off

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 13:55 Edited at: 19th Jun 2019 13:56
I would like to add that its not my custom media that's disappearing after a baked lightmapper pass. Its one of the TGC's DLC's. This is a bug. So I have decided to add it to github. Noticed that others have posted this issue before on there since 2018.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 14:06
Can you check and see if these are multi textured objects that dissapear after lightmapping.
RIP
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

New:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.81GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia gtx1050ti 4gb, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Screen resolution 1920 x 1080. System Passmark 3774

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 14:13 Edited at: 19th Jun 2019 14:13
All meshes that vanish are using single textures. I should add though that they do however appear to be using PBR texture sets. Maybe the lightmapper is not compatible with PBR?

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@Science boy. I was only jesting really with that comment. For sure it's a performance thing, but as we can swim now, is fairly moot and no longer possible to get away with.

I've got to the stage with GG where I no longer care all that much. I keep popping in to see whats up, but haven't used GG in awhile. The last time I tried I made a few hills - tested the game - saw the mess that is the terrain and turned it off. I lost the sense of fun and creativity with this product quite some time ago
Mrs Baird
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 15:25
Quote: "Quote: "Also painting grass under water does not paint"

Lol, wonder if that is a feature (performance tweak) or a bug?"

Haha. Yes, I thought the same. Clearly a feature, with Game Guru getting more and more realistic every day. One day the real world outside will look pale and grey compared to the fully bloomed beauty of Game Guru 2025...

@science boy: That is because water works as a solvent. When was the last time you left your laboratory?
(Sorry, mate. The joke was irresistibly laying around to be picked up)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 4 x CORES / FPUs @3900 MHz - NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti [2 GB] passive cooled - 16GB DDR 3 SDRAM - Win 10 Pro [64 Bit] - Audiosystem: Marian Marc Seraph AD2 - 2 x UAD-2 DSPs
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 16:07 Edited at: 19th Jun 2019 16:28
@ dvader no worries

Mrs baird when did last watch any comedy
jus kidding, but lets leave the comments be now and move on.

SB
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 16:20
@TeaBone:

May i get a few of the object names that are doing this with the light mapper.

I will give them a test when i get home from work.

Thank you.
RIP
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

New:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.81GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia gtx1050ti 4gb, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Screen resolution 1920 x 1080. System Passmark 3774

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 16:26
Sci-Fi DLC - Interior Pieces and Rooms (particularly the white ones)

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2019 16:37
Check their FPE's, do the objects that dissapear when light mapped have "cullmode = 1" in them?

cullmode =1 forces GameGuru to render both sides of a face/polygon and it may be that the lightmapper is getting confused as to which side to unwrap and bake. If they do have that line try commenting the line out and trying a bake (after deleting the usual dbo's and restarting the client etc as per usual).

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2019 03:28 Edited at: 20th Jun 2019 07:22
Quote: "saw the mess that is the terrain and turned it off. I lost the sense of fun and creativity with this product quite some time ago "

Yeah, tis a lot like that for me, it seems every aspect of GG is broken somewhere somehow atm.

Messing with terrain\textures at the moment, and none of the Shader options do anything other than affect shadows, and painting is just ridiculous compared to what we had prior to 16 textures.

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2019 07:22 Edited at: 20th Jun 2019 07:35
@Teabone:
Thank you. I will test them out and look at there files.

Edit:
Hmm at first glance they are DNSI textures, using the entity_basic.fx shader and no textures called in the x file. Let me compare this info with ones that have textures called in the xfile and see if that makes a difference.

Where are you seeing the PBR stuff for scifi pack?
I am seeing them only in switches, drones, and collectables. I may need to update all the test packs to test this proper for you.
RIP

New:

Nimbus417
Years of Service
User Offline
After spending so much time on an "Easy" game maker, I decided my time would be better spent learning a different engine. After 2 years of being away from Game Guru, I came back because my grand kids wanted a simple game. And all my frustrations with this thing came back. Characters getting stuck for no reason, waypoint system works when it wants, asset import is still buggy as hell, exporting the game breaks it, and it's a memory hog. So, I'm done. After 2 years of development, I would expect these issues to be fixed. Instead, the attempt was made to improve the visuals. No. You are the easy game maker, not the pretty game maker. Fix the broken issues first, then make it pretty. I see people posting work arounds and fixes, or "mine is fine". That's nice and all, but it doesn't help. These are fixes that should have been addressed years ago, but since someone posted a "fix" that works for them but not everybody, the developer doesn't have to fix the engine.

I started out thinking Game Guru was going to be this great and wonderful engine that would be fun and simple to use. I gave it a chance, a huge chance. Now, I fully expect people to start bashing me, and that's fine. Oh, and where are all the games published with this engine? I found a couple, and honestly, they suck (sorry snowflake, sometimes the truth hurts).

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2019 15:31 Edited at: 20th Jun 2019 16:31
Quote: "h, and where are all the games "

Anything really worth looking is still WIP here
https://www.game-guru.com/showcase
Although it hasn't been tagged as "Easy" game maker for over a year .. That's Fixed
J/K
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 20th Jun 2019 17:34 Edited at: 20th Jun 2019 17:38
Quote: "@Science boy. I was only jesting really with that comment. For sure it's a performance thing, but as we can swim now, is fairly moot and no longer possible to get away with."

please don't call it swim now.
yes we can barely move when you are in the water, but that is not swim.
until we can not press the ( W ) key and swim down and up as you like , at least with a average speed which looks as if you are swimming and there are standard swim animations with hands, or something similar , then maybe we can call it swimming.
Another thing that holds me back .
Also what about copy and paste a group of entities, that will make map building a breeze.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2019 18:15 Edited at: 20th Jun 2019 18:42
When i started working on the swimming additions for the player, it wasn't fully complete when implemented into GG. The reason why we pushed forward with it in the state it was in, was there were two other github additions related to water. Raising the water height within the editor and Preben's under water shader. So we needed a way to get the player under water without instantly dying so I threw something together for that.

Of course, the fully swimming however is not there. The space to float is a placeholder for anyone that wants to override the controls to add full swimming. More on the topic:

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219463

In its final form, the intent would be for the player should be able to swim with pressing W or up key and look around with A and D (side arrows) and reverse with S (back arrow). While the player has a slow fall factor occurring whenever W or up is not pressed. Should be noted I didnt add the SPACE to float part. That was put in on Lee's request as it was being considered a "swimming update" instead of a "the player can now go underwater update". So its a half finished addition.

I think it's important to take note that the 3rd person and first player controls should be completely separated at some point in LUA. So we can add the swimming animations in there for the 3rd person. (also ladder climbing and etc). Its a bit messy as the code tends to cross each other (at least from first glance).

I'd continue developing this one if I could get my github situation sorted out. As my repo is a wreck at the moment. I did have many many plans for swimming though its a lot of work as it would also require some re-working of the weapon spec file things a well. Bugsy did a good job prototyping what animated first-person swimming could look like with a stock weapon for if we were to go this far into the developing of swimming.

Most importantly though, is getting the WASD and arrow controls working to override the SPACE to float situation we are in. something similar to what we had in FPSC, which actually is a standard control system for swimming in video games today.

- The task list would be:
- WASD + Arrow Controls (remove SPACE to float)
- Fix conflicts with high rate health regeneration preventing drowning - bug (fixed it once but it didn't make it to master)
- Fix player getting stuck at the surface by implementing what AAA games use which is if the player's head is above the water line he's now in trending mode and not swimming mode. This means that he will not fall if he is in the water ONLY when under the water line.
- Add buoyancy setting for the player to control if he sinks or at what rate he falls
- Add airtime variable control for the player - how long the player can stay underwater before he starts drowning (taking damage)
- remove heartbeat sound when drowning
- Bubble Particle Emission (with toggle option for it in start marker settings)
- overall improved underwater sounds

However, this all would fall under the "feature", enhancement category.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2019 18:30 Edited at: 20th Jun 2019 18:32
As a matter of interest why is implementing swimming so hard … in fact why doesn't it just work ?
W,A,S,D keys are already coded for the Camera to move .. Obviously there is something technical as to why it doesn't but im just interested. The directions views perhaps ?
PM
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2019 07:48
After I downloaded some of the demos from Showcase I was thinking about buying Gameguru, but after testing some of them I changed My mind. Sadly for Me and Lee perhaps? Here is the reasons for not buying GameGuru for now. (But I wourld love to after a fix of these probs). All credits to Lee then, sence He fixed the biggest AI issues...
I have been listed the more severe probs at the top, Nr 1. = worst problem and so on:

1. Loading times!!! (If a loading time takes longer than 30secs. (then Im getting in a bad mood! Here it takes longer than 5 or even ten minutes).. So perhaps loading the whole map from the beginning seems a bit strange to Me. (Why not load parts of the map? Or at least not all Entitys? I think We courld speed up the Engine 300-400% with a better load/unload system or landscape LOD).
2. Lag. ( I have a 4yo ASUS 4Ghz with an AMD R7 card, I can play most AAA games with no lag. My new Dell XPS seems ok with Gameguru, but shourld at least work on 5 yo compters sence many still have them).
3. Normal Diving + Vehicles
4. Make it 64-BIT: The ram limit 2GB (If Im correct) is way to small for these big maps.
5. Make the Engine more professional. Sence apps like Character Maker scares Skilled People away, add a Cutscene Studio with cameras instead...

If these things wourld be implemented I wourld buy GG "PÃ… STUBBEN" as We say in Sweden..
Guess what Aiko and I did this weekend...
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2019 08:37 Edited at: 21st Jun 2019 08:38
Quote: "1. Loading times!!! (If a loading time takes longer than 30secs. (then Im getting in a bad mood! Here it takes longer than "

Firstly, what you see from the showcases is not necessarily how it is now, most of them were done quite a while ago on earlier versions of GameGuru, loading times while not great are much better now and have been for a while, none of the maps i've used have taken more than a minute to load for me in over a year.

Secondly, try playing pretty much any MMO out there, they all take forever to load, you would hate it. Elder Scrolls Online for example every time you load into a new area you get a loading screen which lasts two or three minutes, and when it's busy int he game you can be sitting there for five to ten minutes waiting for it to load up. So while it can be improved, this is not an issue solely with GameGuru, as tech has progressed and games have got bigger and more bloated longer loading times have become pretty much a standard in some genres.

Quote: "2. Lag. ( I have a 4yo ASUS 4Ghz with an AMD R7 card, I can play most AAA games with no lag. My new Dell XPS seems ok with Gameguru, but shourld at least work on 5 yo compters sence many still have them)."

GameGuru is not a game, it is a game engine, when you are testing maps in GameGuru you are not only running the game, but all the background engine stuff along with it, so requirements are going to be high.

Quote: "3. Normal Diving + Vehicles"

erm ... cough cough ....

Quote: "4. Make it 64-BIT: The ram limit 2GB (If Im correct) is way to small for these big maps."

Ram limit for 32 bit applications is 4GB including graphics memory. Again you've tested older versions, memory management is better now, not as good as it could be, but better. I'd love to see 64bit, but even if we can't get it, there's still a lot of optimization they could do on 32 bit to improve things. Saying that, converting to 64bit won't necessarily make anything better.

Quote: "5. Make the Engine more professional. "

But that would go against all that GameGuru stands for, GameGuru is not and never has been intended for proffessional use, it's a low end game engine based on ease of use, more for users to practice level design than to actually publish with. TGC have other products that are aimed at proffessional use (AGK and soon AGK studio).

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2019 08:51
@Mr Love -
1 and 2 may improve as bit, but only time will tell.

No 3, been awaiting for driving (and flying) functionality for years - some have got it working a bit, but not likely to ever be easily done.

Pretty safe to say 4 and 5 will never happen.

But we live in hope

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2019 09:38 Edited at: 21st Jun 2019 11:30
Alpha Swimming code: (gameplayercontroller.lua)
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Alpha Swimming code: (gameplayercontroller.lua)"

WOW in right in the middle of wallpapering with a relentless Mrs on my tail but I will test this ASAP ..
Nice one again Corno_1
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Secondly, try playing pretty much any MMO out there, they all take forever to load"

To right .. It could take you a good 30 mins to load up Battlefront II and actually get to play on occasions
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2019 20:59 Edited at: 21st Jun 2019 21:03
@Corno_1
How are you using the swimming script .. Attaching it for testing, replacing the code in the Gameplayercontrol.lua ?
I get errors when trying it either way ?
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2019 22:48 Edited at: 21st Jun 2019 22:49
It still works for me. Not perfect, but it works
I uploaded the hole script for you. Try it now

And it is the actual beta. I am not sure if this is relevant
Thread and Download

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@Corno_1
That works !!
That's a pretty awesome start im well impressed .. Even though you say its still not perfect its better than what we have
Fantastic !!
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 23rd Jun 2019 07:50 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2019 07:54
@Corno_1, thanks for the new updated script to swim,
I have tested it and it works better.
Only problem now is when you are in the water and you hold down the space Barr to stay a float then there is no collision on any entity's under the water so you can swim wright thru a concrete wall.

Edit. maybe for now until all is sorted out it will be better to let the player stay afloat automatic, and only allow the player to swim on the water surface so at least he can get out of the water if he fall in.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2019 09:54 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2019 10:01
Quote: "
Only problem now is when you are in the water and you hold down the space Barr to stay a float then there is no collision on any entity's under the water so you can swim wright thru a concrete wall.
Edit. maybe for now until all is sorted out it will be better to let the player stay afloat automatic, and only allow the player to swim on the water surface so at least he can get out of the water if he fall in."

Do you know what the best part of this script is? You could do it yourself
I will not work further on it. I wrote this in 10 minutes a half a year ago.
Thread and Download
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 06:04:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 06:04:49