Third Party Tools / HeightMap to GameGuru

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 10:23 Edited at: 12th Dec 2017 10:24
Mike - thanks for this, it all works for me now (in Windows 8 mode, not Windows 10). Nice job on the GUI!
i5 2500k 3GB GTX1060 8GB RAM Windows 10

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 11:04 Edited at: 12th Dec 2017 11:08
@MK83/Gtox - ummm, not sure why it would need win8 compat. mode. Works fine on my Win10 64bit OS. If I have time I will have a look into it. As long as it runs that's the main thing for now. @Gtox - nice landscape and glad you like the GUI, loads I can do there.

@OldPman - Hope it works for you, but please let me know if you have any issues.

HINT: if you want to change the texture of the terrain, for now you can copy over a 1024x1024 jpg image and save it to media/textures and rename to texture_1024.jpg. Maybe I will add at later time, the ability for user to choose their own terrain texture image. I copied over one of the ones from GG (think it was the fantasy grass or something and renamed it to "texture_1024.jpg" and works fine.

Still quite a bit I can do to this (maybe) if I have the time. At the moment concentrating on nursery for my unborn baby boy, which is also great fun and exciting and scary.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 12:37
Quote: "At the moment concentrating on nursery for my unborn baby boy, which is also great fun and exciting and scary. "

I remember the feeling well,good luck to you both .hope everything goes well.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 14:28
Hmm, I had to set it to window 7 compatibility for it to run.
Once I did this I could get thru the import and save.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 06:41
hmmmm, I will have to look into this when I get some free time today between decorating.

Please note that to leave the application you can close it by selecting the "X" button of the main window.
You can also minimize the option window. if you close the option window using the "X" button of the window, you can use ALT+O to redisplay again.

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 09:07
ok, I think I may have found the culprit in my code regarding the compatibility having to be ticked on some end user machines. Unfortunately, I can only test on Win10 64/32 bit OS. I have also added some code to disable the escape key so that it forces the user to quit the program using the "X" window close button which will also "flush" the video memory on correct exit of the app. If anyone wants to see anything in the next release, please feel free to drop me a PM/email or post here. I think one of the things I want to add is user selection of texture image for the terrain, I originally just picked out a test example image. Anyway back to decorating......fun
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 12:57
Thank you.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 15:55
ok I spoke too soon regarding the compatibility issue. I am now having the same issue when I run on my desktop. Will have a look into it, not sure what it is yet for definite but have a hunch.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 16:21 Edited at: 13th Dec 2017 17:30
[edited-sorry, still not working. something has gone corrupt somewhere and gone strange since Windows 10 updates. I hate windows ha ]

Attachments

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 20:24 Edited at: 13th Dec 2017 20:28
"Heightmap to game guru" ...yeah right, I wish!

Oh wait! This thread is by Bored of the rings...did he make a tool? YES HE DID!

The win 10 crash is unfortunate, though.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2017 06:30 Edited at: 20th Dec 2017 06:06
yet another Win10 update to screw things up even more. I hear the sound of rewrite coming ugh and tempted to move over to Linux ha

the only way it runs is with compatibility mode selected on win8 or win7. Yet it runs fine when compiling/debugging. seems to be a problem when creating a new folder e.g. under desktop, placing the files in the new folder and then running as admin, then it won't run. I delete a dll or a file and then it runs randomly without compatibility on just as admin and my UAC is off. this has only been issue since the recent Win10 updates which also removed most of my shortcuts including steam ones. Microsoft suck big time. I'm off to do decorating which seems more rewarding.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2017 09:27 Edited at: 14th Dec 2017 09:27
ok so icons I can hopefully restore by deleting the iconcache in appdata/local etc and then restarting windows10 once my major backups have completed. I can then decide whether to re-install windows or not or just try to fix my current system. What a load of old poop. ha
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2017 06:07 Edited at: 15th Dec 2017 08:06
re-installing windows today and then will rewrite the program fully in C++ using VS2017 and any future programs.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2017 14:29
system now re-installed and dev environments back in place. Here is the link to version 2.1a of the program. I have tested this only on Win10 64bit on my desktop and runs fine without setting compatibility mode. Still have to run as administrator though. If you have recently had the big critical Win10 updates, you may need to copy the missing dll's back over to both system32 and SYSWOW64 folders i.e. the dll's in the archive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1k1NA9TPeCfWWn9wPMyZ8qXJuI9or1kvL

password is "youshallnotpass" no quotes.

Hope it works this time.

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2017 17:46 Edited at: 18th Dec 2017 17:52
@BotR

How about something like this to automatically generate the path to the installed GG (according to steam generated vakues ) ?
Feed it "266310" for GG and append "\files"

And maybe, optionally allow non-canonical pathnames, such as ".\Game Guru_DX9\Files"
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
Core i7 4710 QM GTX 980 MQ 16GB RAM Win7
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2017 18:02
@yrkoon-thanks for your comments. Yes, this is something that I tried previously in my code but there was a permissions issue stopping me from reading the directory from the registry. Maybe I will try another approach. Your second comment regarding non-canonical pathnames, I might add an option for this, will see.
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "in my code but there was a permissions issue stopping me from reading the directory from the registry"

Weird. I'll check again, I'm using that all the time in my GG related programs, never noticed a problem. But I haven't run them for a while, now. Are you sure that it is a problem from the authorizations/permissions side tht you experienced ?
On the non-canonicals names: I use them to discriminate between different / backup installations of GG to avoid having to install from steam when something went really bad. I think I'm not the only one.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2017 06:16 Edited at: 19th Dec 2017 08:07
I will probably try my code again as the whole of my system went a bit screwy somewhere post Win10 critical updates. Was always my intention to read from the registry but it wasn't happening for me using C++ or basic language.

[update-ok found mistake in my code, will correct.]
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Well done, BotR.
The registry based steam path could well act as default.

And your previous effort is not lost (from my p.o.v.), if you are willing to allow non-canonical GG pathnames for alternate GG locations.
(At least my ) Troubles with those alternates are that they are usually hard to tell apart by their canonical names in the small screen space of the requester.

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2017 12:04
@yrkoon-thanks. Reading from registry now working and removed GG path from the .INI file. How I didn't see my mistake before I have no idea. I am willing to look into getting the program to work with non-canonical GG paths. Did you have a number of specific alternate paths in mind or was it just the ability to allow at least one alternate path? Is this something that you want stored in the .INI file for future program runs?

If anyone else has any other features they would like to see added, please feel free to PM/email me and I will try and add it in the next release.

MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2017 17:19
BTOR, I was wondering if it would be possible to create like underground tunnels and caves etc.
AMD Phenom x4 9850 2.70 Ghz , 6 Gb ram, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 750, Win 10 x64 Passmark score: 3091

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2017 17:27
@MK83-hmmmm, interesting, maybe....I'll look into it
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Reading from registry now working and removed GG path from the .INI file. How I didn't see my mistake before I have no idea. "

Congrtats, BotR. I was sure you'd make it. I myself also had a stumble or two over those registry functions, in the beginning, so, don't worry about that.

Quote: " I am willing to look into getting the program to work with non-canonical GG paths. Did you have a number of specific alternate paths in mind or was it just the ability to allow at least one alternate path? Is this something that you want stored in the .INI file for future program runs?"

Oh, thanks a lot, but I was only suggesting something I think others would also like, just providing examples I think are feasible.

As it happens, I had developed my own program for this kind of thing many months ago, ( I think I mentioned this when the discussion on converting heightmaps started anew, leading to your program which is really fine).

Although I have mislayed my code somewhere, I was able to recall from memory the basics of what I had once found out about GGs inner mechanics. Unfortunately, mindwise, I'm slowly drifting away from GG , thus, you could call me too lazy to really try and retrieve my original code from some abandoned HD lying around somewhere.

So, best see if others really agree to / request the option to use non-canonical names, too.
And keep up the good work for those who still have faith in GG.

PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "BTOR, I was wondering if it would be possible to create like underground tunnels and caves etc"

How would that be achieved ? You would have to have two y values (ceiliing and floor) for the exact same spot on in the x-z plane to construct a "cave". Even if you introduced a "second heightmap" somehow, the engine wouldn't know what to do with it.
The usual solution for this kind of thing is a voxel engine, which GG ist certainly not.
You'll have to stick with crevasses and landscape depressions covered with models as ceilings for a long time, I'm afraid. Not that this is a dissatisfying option, though. Or whole caves created as models.
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2017 15:48
The first ships with inhabitants have arrived, time to build this fortified town and give them a home.

Hat off for you BOTR, it works very well.

Attachments

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2017 16:05
awesome Earthling45, you guys maps come out better than mine glad it all works for you. Also tested out now on my new Win10 32bit OS after having to replace my old poop internal hard drive. Now can test on both Win10 64/32 bit again...phew !!!

More to come soon....
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2017 18:51
Quote: "@MK83-hmmmm, interesting, maybe....I'll look into it "
Cool!
AMD Phenom x4 9850 2.70 Ghz , 6 Gb ram, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 750, Win 10 x64 Passmark score: 3091

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2018 19:50
currently working on a map splitter.....if it's successfull will post more about it here....
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 5th Jan 2018 23:23
thank you for your continued work on this its amazing and a credit to you
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2018 19:26
Is this dead?

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2018 09:11
Not dead as such, on hold at the moment while I spend time with my wife and newborn son
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2018 16:18
congratulations

PM
JPH-GAMES
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2018 19:11
My congratulations to you and your wife
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2018 09:11
many thanks guys. I will be working on the next version of this tool shortly and am hoping at some point to add the code to the GameGuru GitHub source code once I get access email from Lee so that I can be added as a collaborator. Not sure whats going on at the moment with that side, at the moment I am able to compile/run the source code from Github in VS2017.
Gamemaker123825
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2018 22:24
Hello, where can I get this, all the links are down. Thank You
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2018 12:48
apologies, I only just saw this. I'll review the app code as I was working on updates but life got in the way. I'll upload next version if it's any good.
Snake675
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2018 06:17
Hi

I would like to use this tool too. Can someone upload this, please?
-Snake675
------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz, RAM 16.0GB, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2047MB

GameGuru
FPS Creator
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2018 09:40
I will upload the tool as soon as possible.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT, DBO2X
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2018 07:23
Sorry was going to upload this..... life got in the way. I'm looking to implement this functionality into the GameGuru direct using the Github source code when I can find time between other committments. Have to blow the dust off the external drive and dig out the source code, get it working again . Last time I worked on this, was adding some more functionality to split the maps up. Need to refresh my memory.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2018 13:03
Sounds great. Cant wait to see it in the editor. Thank you.

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Apr 2018 00:48
@BOTR that would be awesome thank you
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2018 18:07
woo...managed to find my source code for the map splitting of the terrain. I had only done some very early stage testing, but once I finish with the DBO2X app, I'll move back onto this. I haven't forgotten to upload the current version back onto my google drive, will do this as soon as possible, just got to locate it as I had a bit of PC crash a while back and had to reinstall.

Attachments

Peke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2018 16:23
Mhm. I really can't wait for it to be back. A lot of these awesome tools are nifty to use, but they always seem to vanish from the web after 3 weeks of uptime.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2018 17:24 Edited at: 29th Apr 2018 17:29
here is the new link to my google drive if you wish to download v2.2 of HM2GG. I'll paste the link also on the the first post of the thread on page 1 for convenience. No password required.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11HbNhwIUTzEHYwTJVXNpOsKZmDsUVyPL
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2018 20:56
Thank you. Will try it out after work.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2018 08:06
Currently adding map splitter GUI/code so that you will be to well errr.... split your maps horizontally/vertically an idea which was passed my way from another GG member. Plus, more tweaks/improvements here and there where needed including optimisation of the code.
At the moment I'm doing a lot of testing, if all goes ok will release next version (3.0).

If anyone else has any ideas/ comments/ constructive criticism/hangups, please let me know.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2018 12:15 Edited at: 5th May 2018 12:15
another option I will add is 'forceshore' so that the terrain is surrounded by ocean. This is also what GG does in the engine so I've mimicked that process. It also seems to improve performance. I've used the UK Isle Of Wight island as a tester. Still messing with values etc.

Attachments

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 5th May 2018 12:16
awesome work thank you for your continued work on this its amazing
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2018 13:03
@GraPhix-thanks, I am looking at the GG source code at the moment and figuring out how I can incorporate all this into the main engine. But for now will just work on the external tool.
Toxicclowd
Years of Service
User Offline
would it be possible to get a new download link? the current link is dead and I'd really love to check this out. Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 19:43:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 19:43:09