Work In Progress / Kshatriya: Origins

Author
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 28th Aug 2017 21:20
Don't know how I missed these latest screenshots, but hoooly! It's so cool to see that you've gotten the hang of the lighting system in GG. Rocking it Bugsy!

Sorry to hear you lost your job man!
Youtube.com/c/Landmanhd1080p - LandmanHD Youtube Gaming Channel | chrislandman.mypixelbox.net - My Design Portfolio | Artrift.com - Digital Art Community
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2017 03:17
Thanks Landman! If only I could get ahold of lua like I did FPI!

here's some more screenshots. Unfortunately due to the FPS rate being in the low-mid 60s when looking at the whole vista, I'll probably be cutting this level slightly short and not including the rooftop slum village fight at the end that I had originally planned in exchange for a more clear looking final fight scenario with a clearly marked exit and more detail in the background scenery. I have been teetering back and fourth on whether or not it should be possible to beat this game with no shooting and decided against it because it is also impossible to beat this game with no parkour (albeit required parkour is kept pretty mild).

Players expecting an experience as open ended as kshatriya wetwork level 1 will be slightly disappointed (largely because half the routes possible were not meant to be, so therefore people will probably find routes I didn't plan for, but I plan for quite a few), but people expecting a scene as linear as level 2 will also be disappointed. I'm looking for the best achievable happy medium with reshade still running.

This rooftop area is fleshing itself out nicely. This is a level that will take a first timer 3-5 minutes but a seasoned speed runner 40 seconds glitchless. A lot of what I aim for is preventing speedruns by circumnavigating the map. The best speedrun routes are planned and accounted for.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2017 09:37
Due to the very detailed nature of "Shavra" I am having a few teleports in level that will transport the player to another place entirely on the map.
This way you can avoid polygon clusters that drain the performance. Just have a door or something that the player can use which than transports him elsewhere on the map far away from where the frame rate might suffer. (this also spares another agonisingly long loading screen.)

Nice new pics but what is that yellow thing?
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2017 21:07
the yellow thing is big sign letters, and I hesitate to try that teleports thing. I don't want entire other scenes outside the map, That kinda interrupts gameplay and is not condusive to speedruns. one thing I can confidently say after having placed almost all the AI is that this game is fun, at least to me. you can blow guys off buildings with grenades, snipe them off with the rifle if you're lucky* see below, and it is highly replayable with lots of stuff to discover.

*I'm trying to figure out how to give the sniper more power when it hits someone and they ragdoll to make it more likely we snipe people off roofs, like my shotgun, but I don't know what command does that in the gunspec. I was thinking it was shotgun=1 but I wanted to get a description of how that worked if anyone knew.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2017 11:58
update:

dumped a week into this and now right as it finishes, I'm getting really rough glitches. Characters disapperaing, crashes on exits/saves, I'm worried I may have to redo this map but I will continue to do damage control until i fix it or decide it;s too far gone and redo it. here's some pics:

added silencer to this gun in game

last hallway of level 4

winzone elevator window

I added this skyscraper as a thing for the player to navigate towards (sorta)
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2017 03:14
I removed all enemies to prevent disappearing but now the level seems to run at 12 fps for no reason...

I have decided that It is useless to bother salvaging it, I will just have to do it again. It's a shame as I've dumped a solid 80 hours into this map at least.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2017 10:12
Sounds weird,I wander what you broke .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2017 19:11
Quote: "I have decided that It is useless to bother salvaging it, I will just have to do it again."

Ahh man!! Hate it when Game Guru stabs you in the back like that, just when this level was really starting to capture my imagination. Hopefully the new iteration will be a little quicker to build now you've decided the layout and placement of things.

I would say that yellow sign is ever so slightly jarring from a visual perspective; it doesn't quite fit with the overall colour scheme of your level. This, of course, might be deliberate if you're trying to attract the player's eye to this spot, like if it's something they have to cross the level to reach, but if it's just scenery I would change the colour to blue, purple, or red to be in keeping with the rest of your environment.

AE
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2017 23:13
Quote: " This, of course, might be deliberate if you're trying to attract the player's eye to this spot, like if it's something they have to cross the level to reach"

^ Nailed it

Quote: "Hopefully the new iteration will be a little quicker to build now you've decided the layout and placement of things."

I'll be starting from scratch actually. Probably will completely change the map layout. I will not rest until it looks better, though.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2017 07:52
got started on remaking level 4 today. There won't be so much choice of route anymore unfortunately and i doubt i will be able to keep as much detail or vivid lighting, unfortunately gameguru can't seem to handle a realized cyberpunk city yet.

there will still be a few choices, however less serious differences in route. It will also look similar to the last one, but also pretty different.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2017 08:16

I'm starting to like this one more and more compared to the last one, which I am pleased about!
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 11:53

no comments on the last one but here's another update. made a retexture of the background buildings to make them purple-er. Here's some early WIP scenes of the rooftops. I'd love your comments!!
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2017 12:30 Edited at: 16th Sep 2017 12:30
I allways thought your style of games have a great look and feel to them,as dose this one.Looking forward to playing this one when it's ready.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 06:22

Level 4's finally 99% done geometry and lighting-wise. I have one more model I'm waiting on wolf's help with to place and another lighting pass to go but we have a complete, stable (knock wood) level. Check out these pics!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 16:44
This is just ridicoulusly cool!

The sense of scale and atmosphere as well as style is really gripping. I wish the original Deus Ex would look like this!
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2017 18:51
Damn that looks awesome. I am really looking forward to play this.
Modder, Soundtrack Composer and now Game Developer. Well, sort of.

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti

Youtube:
(Music Channel) The German Music Dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeutscherVolker
(Games and Mods Channel ) DK Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqwvScXnJL_zNYqSsfTCqA

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2017 18:24
Thanks guys! now that I have wolf's last model, it's a matter of better speed-runnifying/relightmappeningng the scene, then I'm done with level design, it's onto music production, voice overs, and cutscene animation, which gives this game maybe a month or 2 before release. Here's hoping gameguru stands strong with me and pushes this badboy out without dying in the process.

Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2017 18:41
I wish you all the best. When It comes to Music, I MAY be able to help. You can write me if you need something. I can try to help you then !
Modder, Soundtrack Composer and now Game Developer. Well, sort of.

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti

Youtube:
(Music Channel) The German Music Dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeutscherVolker
(Games and Mods Channel ) DK Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqwvScXnJL_zNYqSsfTCqA

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 05:40
Please post the new screenshots
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2017 07:53

level 4 geometry, lighting, enemies, ETC 100% done
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2017 04:38

Kshatriya Origins Trailer Teaser
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2017 10:55
I think this quite a significant GG title, now on the verge of the DX11 release.
I don't see why so few people comment on it but I assume that, seeing how you are doing most of your things right, there is little drive to repeat "good job" at nauseum.
I am convinced feedback will steamroll in once you release the playable .exe

-Wolf
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2017 17:00
you're right, but for how mediocre the game actually is, i won't be doing that without some cutscenes and music and voiceovers to class it up
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2017 23:22
There won't be any new gameguru screenshots, but here are some renders so you can see the cutscene progress! One is katsu kleiner, (the player character, as he will be used in a cutscene) and the other is a frame from the level 3 intro (or level 2 outro) cutscene

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2017 04:39

a picture from level 1's cutscene. I may be able to knock out level 1 and 5 tonight animation-wise, and at least render one of them. with level 3's cutscene done and rendered, that leaves me with 1 render, and the sound design.

Voiceover progress is pretty good. we have about half the lines done I'd say and the rest are the easier ones. we haven't started on music yet, but all in all I'd give this game another month barring any technical difficulties.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2017 08:23

last one I swear, this one's from level 5's cutscene.
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Oct 2017 19:52
Great job Bugsy, havent seen any work like this in a long time.

just one Question.. . I was wandering how the city will look in the day time when the player wakes up the next day? . lol
or is it just going to be a game play at night time only. ?

Keep up the good work.

PcsKiller
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 17:21
the first level of this game is daytime. there are screenshots of it all over this thread. there is then a nighttime version of the same map for the last level

heres a link to some of them on the blog
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 19:13
very nice , i had i look at it. cool
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
PixelF
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2017 07:08
Level design looks great and so does the lighting. I just think the textures have a bad case of "r/ShittyHDR" that burns holes in my eyes. Also the texture of the hands/guns seem to blend into everything else so it makes it a bit difficult to "locate" at first glance. Other than that, everything looks good.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2017 11:45
Quote: ""r/ShittyHDR""

the exact look im aiming at (it kinda goes with the terrible lowpoly scenery). I notice most near future sci fi media involves such an overvibrant palate, so I figured in what will likely be a 15 minute game, I could get away with it

Quote: "Also the texture of the hands/guns seem to blend into everything else so it makes it a bit difficult to "locate" at first glance."

i mulled that over myself, but decided at the end of the day that it would probably fit the situation to be more camoflauged.

thanks for giving me your opinions though!!!!

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 17:15
The trailer in all its glory can now also be watched on the serygalacaffeine youtube channel.

LINK
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 23:09
thanks for keeping this thread alive

I have only a few more lines of dialogue to record, and 5 whole songs to have composed. It's this part of game design where I begin to procrastinate typically, and procrastinate I have. It's a 6 hour recording studio session AT LEAST so it's no small investment of time or effort.

I can only hope that no mandatory gameguru update comes out in the time between now and release that utterly ruins this game. (or maybe i'm optimistic that some update comes out that makes it 100+fps smooth as silk and loads in 2 seconds )

I also somehow forsee problems with level 4, as with my 1920x1080 monitor, it gives me FPS rates often below 60 which I find un-playable. It's about twice the size in mb as level 3, which is a similar physical size (although less vertical) but we shall see how the cookie crumbles on that. either way, I think the cutscenes, scenery, and gameplay I have will tell the story well regardless of the egregious cutbacks I have to make on behalf of gameguru, or my own failures in optimization, about which: if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2018 04:01
is it at least above 30 fps?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2018 03:56
Quote: "is it at least above 30 fps?"

Don't even... he has a whole thing going on there. This question is like religious blasphemy. Anything below 60 FPS must be purified at the stake by holy fire.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2018 07:33
yeah at least 30 at all times. I want it to be more like at least 60 at all times like it is on the other maps. the other maps are around 20-30mb, but level 4's like 60-ish.

I've been going through reducing the sizes of my shadertextures and being sure to make all my non-alpha DDS's dxt1 format to save space. perhaps once the majority of my library done i'll see a nice boost. I saw i good 20 fps at least just doing the media used in my little sideproject, which is also kshatriya media.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2018 14:46
I linked those oompah loompahs from the steam forums to this thread.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 05:53
Okay, so here's the main problem i'm having:

Compared to most people's specs around here, I'm assuming my computer ranks in the top 15%. I've got:
AMD fx6300 3.6 ghz 6 core processor
16 GB ddr3 1300mhz ram
ATI R9 270X 4GB video card (1150 mhz)

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ON THIS!

so see these 2 screenshots:

the first is from this game, Kshatriya Origins. The next is from Kshatriya Direct Action 2. Take a good look at the debug panels on them both. As you can see, almost every bar is in a similar place, with the exception of a slightly higher (although nowhere near maxed) draw calls bar for the top one. That being said, I can't understand why the top one averages MAYBE 45 fps on my machine, when the bottom averages much closer to 80. Is this a gameguru bug? is this a fault in my own optimization? I don't understand where I went wrong.

I'm getting a little tired of remaking level 4 here so I'm just wondering what I can do to make it work. It almost seems a level of a similar size and detail was possible in FPSC:

(these ran at 80 fps)

and typically gameguru gives me better frames in every way than FPSC, and can handle much larger outdoor scenes:

(but these go 100)

so with this said, (the GG pics from level 3 and 1) why does this level specifically run so poorly? I've tried to sum up what about it is different from the others and this is my list:

-largest file size (58mb which is not big compared to wetwork [66-67mb EACH] and that ran 60-70 FPS average for me)
-rooftops with no ground access (whole level takes place high on Z axis)
-most entities/lights (not actually sure about this but am assuming)
-slightly less "atlas textured" media and more large/transparent textures
-uses an extra AI script for snipers
-largest/most BG scenery (optimization here anyway would be great, as it is, a full size, detailed map with static lighting is not possible)

that being said, wetwork's maps used VERY LITTLE atlas textured media, and what I did use was purposed badly, and it ran fine.

Did gameguru get slower since wetworks build? is this my fault? What is the reason for this and how can it be improved? is this something I should be posting in bug reports? on github?

gameguru ancestors please lend me your knowledge!
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 08:51 Edited at: 8th Feb 2018 10:28
Quote: "Compared to most people's specs around here, I'm assuming my computer ranks in the top 15%. I've got:
16 GB ddr3 1300mhz ram
ATI R9 270X 4GB video card (1150 mhz)

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ON THIS!"

To be honest, i'm sad to say those specs are actually fairly mid range nowadays, your memory speed (1300mhz) is on the slow end of what is available now, my memory speed is 3200mhz and i'm about two steps down from the top end. Your graphics card is good, but is on the low end of modern cards, it's about the equivalent of an NVidia 950, or a 760, and your processor is about half way down the comparison list being about the equivalent of the early i5/i7 processors, so fairly low end.

But that all means noting if you can get good performance out of your work, and 80 to 100 fps with GG in its current state is pretty god going in my opinion.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 11:55
Quote: "Compared to most people's specs around here, I'm assuming my computer ranks in the top 15%. I've got:
16 GB ddr3 1300mhz ram
ATI R9 270X 4GB video card (1150 mhz)"

That’s cool,if you develope things on a top end comp you and up building a game that most people can’t run or runs very slow .thats why developers like lee have a mid range machine to test on.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2018 16:03
I'm glad to know this actually!

I'm still discouraged, however.
something tells me that the frame rates have more to do with gameguru than the computer. These are 2007 graphics running in 2018 and I'm just trying to figure out how I might prevent this better in the future. I optimize the way I do in hopes even worse computers than mine might stay close to 60 fps too.

any ideas?
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 9th Feb 2018 21:38
Wait a second dude!

There's no pin in that grenade, are you trying to blow yourself up?
Youtube.com/c/Landmanhd1080p - LandmanHD Youtube Gaming Channel | chrislandman.mypixelbox.net - My Design Portfolio | Artrift.com - Digital Art Community
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2018 02:59
there is, you just cant see it, it's on the other side.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2018 13:10
Can confirm! I have played around with this rig before.
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Feb 2018 15:07
I was just kidding around.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2018 12:17
little update:

to bring up the graphical fidelity of the game in comparison to my next one, I've added some tricks:

above: cubemapped cars

also a little trick to increase specular emission despite no dynamics used (although i might add them as I've found a way to lightmap more optimally and save some frames.

Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking sweet. and nice trick
Define R4, i5, 16g, R9 290
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 9th Apr 2018 18:37
very nice, i like the new pictures of the cars and bus. the red one looks very cool.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2018 18:55
... just something sexy about the way he holds that Glock.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2018 02:29
thanks! at this point, i almost want to redo the gun animations since i think i've improved since i made these, but i also really like the M4 as is and assume i'd kinda mess it up if i tried it again.

I do think i could outdo my G18 though, but with how you have to rig/animate stuff to have it work in FPSC/GG (which means no 3ds max IK works) i doubt it could be improved too much with the "2 mags in hand" business since it's hard to have 2 things parented to the hand, but also have controls to move one of them at a time. I'd have to figure that out honestly and it would be difficult. I kinda just "winged it" with this G18 and had the mag offscreen for the ugly "switch back to old mag" frame

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 06:25:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 06:25:56