Product Chat / Another 'what you can do with GG' threads (me showing off iow)

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 01:55 Edited at: 27th Dec 2016 01:56
Quote: "I tried using the real LEM model from the NASA website but couldn't figure out how to get it into GG."

Got the NASA LEM into GG if it's any use to the project. Here it is next to the revised model

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 10:34
Not sure which looks better tbh, I could definitely use it statically to fill out the scenery somewhat.

I've sort of managed to get the HDU model working in GG, the whole modelling things baffles me. The HDU is a low poly 3ds model so I first tried importing straight into GG and it crashed, next I used Assimp to convert the 3ds model into .x format and tried importing that, GG crashed. Then I imported the 3ds model into Blender and exported it from Blender to .x, this time GG could read it but the model it produced was about 3mm in size and on its side. Went into Blender, turned it 90 degrees and re-exported, GG now has a 3mm high HDU the right way up. Went back to Blender and changed the units to metres and scaling factor to 10 (don't have a clue what that actually means but the model got bigger) export to .x import to GG and the model is now about twice the size it should be BUT it's no longer upright! Grrr.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 14:40
Hmm, getting there but this modelling malarky is so much harder than it should be.

Attachments

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks brilliant !! Did you make that ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 15:17
looks good
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 15:45
No I can't model for toffee, downloaded it from the NASA 3d repository. Not sure of the license small print but they say they are free for non-commercial purposes and I'm not selling it so ....?

Took a fair bit of fiddling around to get it in and it still isn't right because it is in two parts and both are different sizes and different orientations when GG imports them, in Blender they are both the same way up so I don't know what is going on there. My son is going to try and fix them. The textures are not very high res either and it needs specular and bump thingamies. (don't really know what the hell I'm talking about btw )
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 16:28
This is what the base camp looks like at present, still fiddling around with lighting.

Attachments

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 17:44
Better and better every time i return ,Nice work.

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 18:28

Mouse handling code done and camera rotation smoothed out and fleshed out the scenery a bit. (I keep adding more and more craters, can't have enough craters)
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 19:36
Woo hoo, I'm on a role, but I really must stop mucking around with models and get back to scripting.

Attachments

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 13:42
This one is cool but subtle, can you see what I've done now?

Attachments

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2016 21:32
Progress report:

I now have working Power and Fuel meters; power (batteries iow) reduces based on time in the LEM whereas fuel reduces on usage of the jets, the more controlled the flight the longer the fuel will last. I will put several points around the map where one or the other or both can be refilled.

Toying with having oxygen usage as well but that might be a bit too much for the player to keep an eye on when on a mission.

Had a bit of a scare when I hit tab to see what the performance figures were and found the AI slider (which basically measures anything Lua related) was a wee bit too high so had a blast through the scripts to bring that back down, found a lot of the sprites were way to big and being updated far too often so fixed all that, now the slider is back down below the half way mark.

Next I'm working on the velocity/thrust display elements before I add in the code to handle crashing the LEM (i.e. if you hit the terrain with horizontal or vertical velocities over a certain amount I will consider it fatal (for the LEM) and put the player back to the last 'good' landing spot).

Once I get that far I'll put the latest version on here for some Beta testing whilst I get on with the mission stuff.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 00:36
Hmm, it appears that this thing has got too big for me to upload as a single zip file so here goes with an attempt at multiple zip file uploads.

The user directory goes into the entitybank

I can't upload the dropship so you will have to go download it from the xmas freebie thread and put it in the Scifi Pack directory.

Attachments

PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 09:39
Quote: "I made a stand alone with this and it reverts to grass for some reason"

I had the same thing happening when i made a stand alone of MMS after lightmapping.
The green bar was full and somehow no lightmaps were stored.
So i guess this is memory related.

Quite amazing what you have achieved, i'm going to see if i can find the right VST plugin for sounds
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 10:40 Edited at: 29th Dec 2016 10:42
Sounds, in a spacesuit on the moon? I would imagine all you would hear is your breathing, heartbeat and other um bodily functions!

You would certainly feel the vibrations when in the LEM but sound wise it would be unnervingly silent apart from when the radio would crackle into life.

btw, this version doesn't include the crashing into the terrain code yet, I'll probably add that next.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
alien isolation does a great job of sounds while in a space suit, you only hear your breathing and things that you touch otherwise it's silent.. maybe a few issues here and there if you wanted to be really picky but it's still a game and a horror game at that, so any sounds that add tension are fine even if not 100% "true to life"
also a great game in general, one of my all time favourites.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 13:33

It crashed
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 22:43
Update, got basic crashing working, land with too much horizontal, vertical or turning speed and you crash.

Refuelling/Recharging code in place, simply land next to an electrical box thing or rack of orange tanks and it will start recharging or refuelling as appropriate, neat thing is you can leave the LEM parked up and go walkabout whilst it is recharging.

Going to add icons to the terrain map to show fuelling points.

Oh and the map sprites now rotate to show the correct orientation of the object on the ground.

Was hoping for some feedback on playability, I.e. is the flight model ok, or suggestions, i.e. what could I do to improve the lighting?

Also my dev machine is a real beast, has anyone tried it on lesser machines, i3 for example or duo, anyone tried it out on anything lower than a 960m gfx card? (my laptop has 960m and seems to handle it ok)

I'm getting a solid 60FPS in 2560x1440 on my dev machine (vsync has to be on for smoothness btw), the only bit where it drops momentarily is if you fly past the dropship whilst it takes off and even then it only drops to 57 FPS for a second or two.

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 22:04
Why do I bother?

Think I'll go play with Lumberyard for a while.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 02:10
Quote: "Why do I bother?"

becouse your good at it ,looks very cool.A lot of work behind the screen shots i think,way above my head .

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Why do I bother?"

Are you referring to the feedback ?
Well it is Xmas and its probably going to get quieter over the new year period ..
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 10:24
Lol, was just imitating some of the other posts around at the moment. (I've always wanted to be a lumberjack though)

I'm currently polishing up a few things but the lack of feedback is a bit worrisome. I'll put the latest version up later today, got the boundary up now so you can't fly off the map, got charging and refuelling points dotted around the map and I've re-written the terrain map so it can have more sprites, before it was limited to one of each kind at each site, now it can display up to 3 domes and 4 square landing pads, going to add solar panels later. Oh and the crashing is improved.

I'm not sure what to do about the fuel/charging gameplay wise, if you run out should it just kill the player and go back to the last check point? If it happens whilst on a mission should the player have to restart the mission or just carry on from the last refuelling/charging point? Should crashing do the same or as now just start from the crash site with a 'new' LEM (actually leave that question till I've put the latest version up as you haven't seen that bit yet).

Currently the fuel and power meters go down and they indicate when critical and when charging, but you can still carry on flying around.

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 11:59
will try and give some feedback as soon as possible, working on my own projects at the moment... excellent work so far, looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 18:54
Latest version, the models were in my previous post, this is just the latest scripts, sprites and the fpm file.

Fuel and Power sprites for the map display are aa work in progress.

Attachments

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 20:33
getting an error at the moment (see pic). the astronaut doesn't animate. I'll have a look and see what can be done.

Attachments

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2016 21:12 Edited at: 31st Dec 2016 22:20
Hmm, I'll take a look, sounds like I might have missed a script or something.

Line 106 in the latest version of the main script doesn't even contain a 'pairs' call, was this error from the latest one I just put up or the earlier version?

Aha, line 106 refers to the very first version of the moonlander_test.lua which won't work with the newer scripts for the jets, make sure you delete the old moonlander directory in the scriptbank and copy over the one from the latest zip file (plus make sure you have all the models from the earlier post and the drop_ship model from the xmas calander thread over in the free models forum (which needs to be put in the Scifi Pack directory in a 'dropship' subdirectory).
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2017 10:20
ah yes of course, silly me. I'll see if I can find the drop_ship model in free models. thanks again.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2017 10:36
had a look in the xmas calander thread for the dropship but can't seem to find it. Not a big deal, maybe I'll search again later.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2017 10:50 Edited at: 1st Jan 2017 11:36
Oh dear, the link to it seems to have disappeared, the model was from Belidos.

You could try substituting another model for it, , the jets will obviously be in the wrong place but at least the level will run

Aha, found another link to it:
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/214099?page=1#msg2541883

At least I think thats the same model.
PM
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2017 11:52
My first attempt at a game was a lunar lander on a ZX81, liturally it was an o and x for the LEM. it took hours to program and days to debug and I never got it to land.
very impressive
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2017 12:10
MY first lunar lander program was on a MK14, my second on a UK101, those were the days.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2017 23:14
Update time.

Image shows the first draft of my text box script in action.

Basically what I've done is created a whole bunch of sprites of letters (Courier New font), I was going for an LCD display look (haven't a clue if that type of display would even work on the moon mind you), sort of something you would have attached to you wrist or something.

All the messages used in the game would be in a list of strings, you pass the list to the text module init routine and it works out exactly how many of each letter is required to allow all the messages to be displayed and loads up a sprite list with the appropriate images. At runtime you call a DisplayText function specifying the string in the list you want displayed, the x.y position and the number of characters on each line and it handles the rest of it for you (i.e. works out the position of the background sprite, each letter position and the size and position of the panel needed to contain it all.

I need to add numbers and special characters (like '?' or '-') and also to put code in to figure out when to wrap text but it's almost there.

It wouldn't take a lot more effort to handle fonts with different width characters as I could extend the letter list to have a width element and work out the width of each image when it is loaded, hmm ... no I won't start down that road until I've finished the mission elements.

Attachments

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2017 23:58 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2017 00:03
Quote: "haven't a clue if that type of display would even work on the moon"

Minor Details ...This type of thing would just look cool

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 00:08
I'm used to a more military looking LCD which is far more yellow looking than the civilian norm, I assumed NASA would go more for the military look.

The font is the main problem, is there an LCD font I could use?

PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 02:19 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2017 02:28
I don't know squat about military vs. civilian LCD displays,, but I think yours looks pretty good; I've seen LCD displays with that color scheme and ability to display any character without being restricted to the old 7-segment format. Hell, I probably even have one in my parts drawer. I'm pretty sure I found an LCD font (7-segment) many years ago, though, so I'm sure they are out there. I'll look.

Yep, there are hundreds of them out there. Just Google it!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 13:30 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2017 13:33
Here ya go ...
http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=302
http://www.1001fonts.com/lcd-fonts.html
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 23:02
Bit better.

Attachments

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 00:44
Even better!

Attachments

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 02:27 Edited at: 4th Jan 2017 11:41
That's much more preferable than the yellow I think
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 10:58
Much more pro looking .

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
I just want to say, I been following your work. It is just blowing my mind! Keep it up! I only know a little on scripting. But you are taking it to a whole other level. I can't wait to see more. Thank You
Jim C
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 19:41
It will be more pro looking when I line up the letters!

I'll be putting the first mission giver in there next, something simple to start with, then I'll go back to the drop ship and make it fly off in a more interesting way.

And craters, gotta add more craters but boy is it a laborious and soul destroying process. Really need some sort of terrain stamping tool, i.e, copy a terrain feature and then use it as a stamp so you can quickly replicate the feature in different sizes over the map, also a way of cutting and moving terrain feature around would be good too.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 20:08
is it feasable to make the terrain outside of GG.

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 20:12
Don't know, not something I've toyed with yet.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 20:46 Edited at: 4th Jan 2017 20:49
Just make each mission level in one Huge Crater ... It will work
Thrust style But Over head ...

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 23:43

Just a quick taster of what I had in mind.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks so much better now I actually see the text box in action
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 00:05
I'm probably going to have the text appear letter by letter and animate the character in time with the text, so for example when he mentions the landing pad I'll have him point in that direction (animation frames 4610 to 4676 in case you're interested).

I'll also freeze the player and put up the mouse sprite and have accept/decline buttons so you can set the mission off (i.e. that would activate the mission objective sprite on the map and activate the associated actions for it when you get there).

Accepting any mission sets you off down a path which would affect which other missions you were offered, not sure how many to include but as all the characters will be in spacesuits its pretty easy adding them.

PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 02:15
Amazing to see the Mission To Mars character going forth to explore an expanding universe of cool new stuff, including the new craft ideas and functionality. Makes me want to open up the engine much more and give you access to the 'please do not touch' areas, just to see what you do with them Don't be afraid to drop me a direct email if you're pushing the envelope to this degree and need an extra LUA command or two, if it strongly resembles a core feature request, it probably is one! Great work, thanks for sharing!!
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 10:04 Edited at: 5th Jan 2017 10:12
Hi Lee, "don't be afraid" I email you quite regularly mate, you are always "too busy at the moment".

Some of the things I've already asked for:

1) Scaling of entities in all three axis rather than just "size" (i.e Scale(e, x, y, z))
2) Lua commands to return details of an entities size (I can find out where it is and the angle, wanna know how big it is and offset from the centre)
3) Make sure all values passed are floating point, you've fixed most of these but FOV for example is still an integer.

But if you could just get the EBE finished that would be nice, oh and fix the bug with the smoothing tool crashing the editor.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-04 12:00:04
Your offset time is: 2024-10-04 12:00:04