Product Chat / FPSC Segments in Game Guru

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2016 07:39 Edited at: 19th Nov 2016 09:16
Quote: "Punch block does not work with Game Guru.

BOTR's Segment AutoWelder for GG v2.0 does this from what I understand and generates the entity."

Yes this is correct the Segment AutoWelder uses CSG punches to make holes of any shape (if you have the right CSG punch). You can punch holes in any FPSC/GG DBO or X file. You can also change the size of the punch in any X/Y/Z direction and change textures/save out etc. There are 2 modes, punch and weld, so objects can be welded together too.
Hoping my next version Autowelder will be much improved. Segment editing in the new version is visually better and you have more control over the segment parts that make up a segment. It's a WIP.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2016 05:23 Edited at: 21st Nov 2016 07:32
Amazing work Bored of the Rings! Something worth totally checking out. I think for anyone who has the assets already should check out your tool. I can't imagine how much work you put into it to get it to do all the welding...

I created a simple doorway wall model to add to the segments so doors and frames can be added. Added up doing the boolean subtraction myself and just creating a new entity.

First doorway test (duplicated frame)

Second doorway test (no duplication)

My hopes are to create a very simple collection of assets for users that are a bit too intimated to get into the nitty griddy themselves to create them. Mainly those that have never touched FPSC before and whom don't personally own the previous assets from it. Just a simple set of assets that they can select from within GG and start building their rooms.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740

Attachments

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2016 07:22
Good work Teabone, I'll keep an eye on this thread with interest.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2016 10:15 Edited at: 21st Nov 2016 10:16
Quote: "I created a simple doorway wall model to add to the segments so doors and frames can be added."

That does look pretty cool !!
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2016 11:13 Edited at: 21st Nov 2016 18:47
Thanks! I've subsequently had to remodel all of the walls to a thinner size. This now allows for two different types of walls to rest beside each other, so that you can have different kinds of rooms on each side of the door. They are incredibly easy to layout now using the grid alone. Don't have to use the "snap" mode at all. You can now build an entire floor in less than 5 minutes just by stamping away.

I've risen the doors a bit so light can bleed out the bottoms. Has a nice effect. When GG advances, perhaps even the shadows of enemy feet walking by would be visible. Below you can see the newly put together segments in action.

Next up:
- Assigning correct material indexes
- Animate doors for interactive use
- port over the unique door sounds for each door
- Fine-tune the wall and doorway alignments
- Create new normal and spec maps for smooth surfaces
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 TGC Assets - Store Link

Attachments

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2016 06:30 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2016 06:35
Moving forward, we can now put together more complex layouts with the segments. With the thinner walls, we can now have different kinds of rooms back to back. Technically if you wanted to get creative you can have multiple different kinds of walls within the same room. Something not entirely
possible in FPSC.

Currently all floors above the ground floor require the "Snap" mode; as the "Grid" mode forces the models part way into the ceiling. I might be able to fix this in the future. However that would require a lot of mathematically planning to re-align everything with new adjustments in that event.

Some great benefits of using These Segments in GG!

- Dynamic walls and doors (i.e. explodable)
- Animated rooms (i.e. mechanical gears, pumps)
- Secret passageways (push a switch and watch the wall slide out of the way)
- Booby-traps (floor and ceilings that crumble)
- Weaken doors that can be kicked in (by player or enemy)
- Different kinds of walls, floors and ceiling in the same room (not possible in FPSC)
- Build a Mad House - with walls that rotate when the player isn't looking at them
- Copy your whole structure and reposition or rotate it on the terrain
- Ignore the Grid and build rooms with angles

The possibilities are really endless.

Attachments

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2016 18:33 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2016 18:34
Okay so I managed to get the doors to work. They open up just fine and their sound plays. Only problem is the original FPSC doors only have one animation for opening and then its played in reverse to close. In LUA this is no easy task as there is no one line command like FPI to do this. That's how doors closed in FPSC. I've been considering re-animating the doors but that may be unnecessary.

I've used minus speed and came across some issues in doing that where as the animation cycle does not complete, causing the door to remain without collision and have stutter in its animations opening up again. Is there any extra added LUA commands to make this process easier for reversing an animation?

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2016 07:06
I've not had any issues with FPSC doors not reversing the animation when closing the door. If the door segment FPS file anims start from 0,30 this needs to be changed to 1,31. Hope this helps.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
vrg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2016 16:54 Edited at: 24th Nov 2016 16:58
Really awesome stuff you are creating Teabone, nice video's to watch they are very interesting. Great for a twitch
Maybe it is possible to create standalone objects in the future
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2016 01:42 Edited at: 25th Nov 2016 02:18
Quote: "I've not had any issues with FPSC doors not reversing the animation when closing the door. If the door segment FPS file anims start from 0,30 this needs to be changed to 1,31. Hope this helps."

Got the stock FPS doors working perfectly. However the bond1 doors seem to be a bit more tricky. The bond1 doors from FPSC dont seem to have a reverse animation like the GG doors do. In the GG door models they have an opening and closing animation in the .x files but in the bond1 FPSC they dont, as you can simply reverse them yourself in FPI. In LUA I'm finding it to be fairly tricky. The bond1 doors animate from 0,51 and im using 1.50 to prevent flicker. Perhaps I should play around with the stock doors instead. The bond1 doors are a bit more advanced since they have animating door handles and things like that. I can always come back to them later.

in the attachment is some of the WWII doors converted over. Thankfully they can use door.lua without any modifications. However the more complex models form the other packs is a different story.

Quote: "Really awesome stuff you are creating Teabone, nice video's to watch they are very interesting. Great for a twitch. Maybe it is possible to create standalone objects in the future"

Thanks and the intent is get all these models packaged for download and use in GG. However Bored of the Rings does have a utility that can weld some of the segments together to create whole new objects. I recommend checking it out if that's more of what you are talking about?

Attachments

Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2016 23:52
I don't know how or what to do to access any of your awesome packs that are on steam
Quote: "Dungeons Collection

This collection is now featured in the Expansion Pack DLC by TGC on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/496580

Additionally some work may be done to get the Dungeons Pack Characters working as well.
"

All the other links work great.
I click the link logged into steam, and click download Steam opens GameGuru and then nothing!
I click the store button and get the store not the packs listed.
Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2016 23:53 Edited at: 1st Dec 2016 23:56
sorry double post.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2016 00:40 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2016 00:40
Quote: "I don't know how or what to do to access any of your awesome packs that are on steam"

Looks like your talking about the TGC's Expansion Pack DLC release on Steam. The packs there are made by many different people. My only contribution was the conversions of a great deal of them.

So this is more of a question for TGC. You just go to : http://store.steampowered.com/app/496580 then click download. Requires Steam to download. You can also just click the DLC section of GG in the Steam app itself and download from there. Once downloaded open Game-Guru and click Entities and go to your "Classics" folder. It should all be there if downloaded okay.

If you have further questions, use the green help tab on the far right of this site and write a support ticket.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2016 07:06 Edited at: 28th Jan 2017 20:14
I recently was able to get multiple floors working solid with the grid and with stair access. However there is a lot of fine-tuning required to get everything looking 100% perfect.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

Attachments

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 20:07 Edited at: 28th Jan 2017 20:08
While the EBE is very similar to what I've been working on... I think I've made so much process here its hard to turn back. I've recently started playing around with the idea of an apartment elevator. Which I whipped up in two days. Now it doesn't actually close or open properly yet. Nor does it even take you to other floors. I'm mostly testing its use with the grid. Which means it could perhaps even work with the EBE. However for now Im testing it with my FPSC Segment Builder:

I've came across many unusual bugs. Ones I dont think i should report yet since they only occur with my model and what I'm trying to do. I think I might have to make each floor have its own elevator door that is a separate entity from the actual elevator car. That when when you press a button to call the elevator the door can open and you can enter then the door will close and then you can use buttons within to make it go to a different floor. That is if the lift LUA script works out.

I may need to make the elevator car possibly even smaller (but increase the interior size) and make an entire wall segment for the elevator shaft. This way you can have situations where if you pray a door open you could see down into the shaft and maybe even the top of the elevator or bottom of it (if looking up). Though... if I go that far I will have to even create a cable system that goes through a pulley. Just some ideas!

Currently the elevator box car is an entire dynamic entity.

Attachments

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 21:02
Quote: "and im using 1.50 to prevent flicker"

You shouldn't need to do that any more, if you set occlude and occlude to no in the properties it should fix flicker.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2017 23:06
Haven't really been poking around with this much since the EBE came out. Even though I don't really use the EBE myself. I decided to test it out recently and noticed there is a limit of textures per map... (same issue with the terrain textures). While its a good amount of textures, I personally feel I may use more than the set amount so will continue working on the FPSC segment system for my own personal use and may share anything that is usable for others. I've converted well over 100 segments by now from FPSC to GG.

For the elevator prototype I think I might weight to see what may happen with the lifts and elevators feature that appears to be on the voting board.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2019 23:45 Edited at: 14th Feb 2019 23:51
Hi everyone, for anyone that was following the progress here and on my website, I have since retired my efforts here. Its extremely time consuming modifying this many meshes and at times creating them from scratch, just to get a nice working grid working with the assets. I still have too many issues with the EBE to safely utilize it as it is very limited in geometry and I much prefer entity interior work -- however the editor still lacks a tremendous amount of improvements to its existing entity controls that make it difficult working even with entities for level design. So im in a rock and hard place in terms of this.

I think Super Clark has been doing fantastic work in giving more options for people to use these classic (and fantastic assets) and i'd like to redirect everyone to the prefab work he's been doing:
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/220479

The concept of prefabs is the best solution I think for using the FPSC segments in GG as you don't have to worry about little grid issues and overlaps. For sure check out his thread if you get a chance.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Super Clark
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2019 13:21
@Teabone Thanks for the mention of the work I have been doing converting old FPSC Classic content to GG.
I have come across quite a lot of issues myself converting the items, getting the windows in wall segments
just do not snap together once I have fixed the origin center position & height.

I am going to given them one more go but if that fails, I thing I will just make some complete custom prefabs
instead for the community now that Lee has gave me permission to convert what I want from FPSC to GG.
If anyone has requests for a type of building please feel free to ask and I will do my best to create it for you
to use in GG.

Thanks for all your previous efforts Teabone converting old FPSC content to GG you did some great work.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 11:50:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 11:50:20